NATION

PASSWORD

[SUSPENDED]International Adoption Act (Attempt 3)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Hindopia wrote:
Krioval wrote:It stands to reason that proposals that restrict human trafficking might collectively be considered "Human Rights".

This proposal does nothing of the sort. There is no text indicating that I have outlawed trafficking or kidnapping in the text. Even if there was it would constitute duplication which would make the proposal illegal.

Then I would appreciate an explanation for why trafficking has been mentioned in the preambulatory clauses, as well as why active clauses 5 and 6 mandate informed consent - essentially an expansion of civil rights - as this proposal claims to be "Moral Decency" rather than "Human Rights".

Aleksei-kan Volkov
Imperial Chiefdom of Krioval

Hindopia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hindopia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:15 am

Krioval wrote:
Hindopia wrote:
Krioval wrote:It stands to reason that proposals that restrict human trafficking might collectively be considered "Human Rights".

This proposal does nothing of the sort. There is no text indicating that I have outlawed trafficking or kidnapping in the text. Even if there was it would constitute duplication which would make the proposal illegal.

Then I would appreciate an explanation for why trafficking has been mentioned in the preambulatory clauses, as well as why active clauses 5 and 6 mandate informed consent - essentially an expansion of civil rights - as this proposal claims to be "Moral Decency" rather than "Human Rights".

Aleksei-kan Volkov

These are the preambulatory clauses you speak of:
RECOGNIZING every child’s need for the provision of adequate care, nourishment, clothing, shelter and protection from abuse, and to be provided with adequate education and medical care.

UNDERSTANDING that international adoption may be a child’s only chance at achieving those needs.

CONVINCED that without international accord and regulation the process of international adoption is open to corruption and activity which includes, but is not limited to, kidnapping for the purposes of child trafficking, children being adopted for purposes such as abuse, mental or physical, and children being adopted by parents who are mentally, physically or financially incapable of supporting said children.

COGNIZANT that said corruption and activity can adversely affect children that are adopted by way of international adoption.

RESOLVING to enact legislation to ensure that the process of international adoption is safe and is adequately regulated for the protection of all legitimately involved parties.

Trafficking has been mentioned in these clauses because it serves as an example. The clauses do not outlaw acts such as abuse or child trafficking, but rather mention those examples to state the intentions of this proposal; regulate the process of international adoption to prevent instances like that from happening.

Clauses 5 and 6: How are they an expansion of civil rights? They are regulations that ensure that no one has been forced into participating in the process.
Playing NationStates since November 27, 2009
Back after a long hiatus

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 am

Hindopia wrote:Trafficking has been mentioned in these clauses because it serves as an example. The clauses do not outlaw acts such as abuse or child trafficking, but rather mention those examples to state the intentions of this proposal; regulate the process of international adoption to prevent instances like that from happening.

In effect, you have referenced a resolution that has dealt with trafficking and was classified as "Human Rights". Thus, your preamble reads mostly in support of expanded civil liberties. I find it difficult to believe that this proposal does not deal on some level with child trafficking if only because it deals specifically with international adoption protocol. If preventing child trafficking is not the issue, why legislate on this issue at all? And why mention trafficking as an "example" and then insist that your proposal is meant to have nothing to do with that issue?

Clauses 5 and 6: How are they an expansion of civil rights? They are regulations that ensure that no one has been forced into participating in the process.

Do I really need to explain how mandating informed consent expands individual rights? Fine. By making everybody aware of their rights - by requiring consent - those rights are affirmed. Thus, "Human Rights".

Aleksei-kan Volkov

Hindopia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hindopia » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 am

In response to discussion held both here and in the Secretariat's Offices, I have removed the current edition of the "International Adoption Act" from the table pending a re-write. The re-write will ensure that this proposal fits into the category accepted by the majority (Human Rights) and is worded accordingly.

--Ambassador Harrowsing, for Hindopia
Playing NationStates since November 27, 2009
Back after a long hiatus

Previous

Return to General Assembly