NATION

PASSWORD

[LEGALITY CHALLENGE] AT VOTE - Ocean Noise Reduction

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

[LEGALITY CHALLENGE] AT VOTE - Ocean Noise Reduction

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 am

Because IA won't be completely happy unless I challenge his proposal somehow... and because I really want a ruling on this particular thing, too.

Drafting thread here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=419382

Ocean Noise Reduction

Category: Environmental
Area of Effect: All Business

Whereas significant increases in the level of ocean noise have occurred over the last century due to the increasing use of oceanic sea routes, the expansion of navies, and fossil fuel exploration:

And whereas the oceans are international territory, meaning that protection thereof is a 'tragedy of the commons' issue which can only be solved by collective regulation:

And whereas it is the case that such noise,
  1. massively reduces fish populations, thereby reducing catches, putting strain on fisheries and threatening many coastal fishing industries,
  2. even when ambient, drowns out sonic communication, making it difficult for marine life to communicate food sources and locations, breed, etc. creating problems in survivability of adult specimens all whilst limiting marine life habitats,
  3. can rupture swim bladders and kill zooplankton larvae, threatening the food sources of other populations along the food chain:
Now, therefore, be it enacted by this august and most excellent World Assembly, by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1. Member nations shall require that all maritime propulsion systems built or retrofitted after the passage of this resolution (a) include the addition of sound mufflers and (b) comply with international regulations on marine propulsion noise. Ships possessing propulsion systems which do not comply to these requirements shall be assessed a fine, consistent with their noise output, to be included in docking fees.
  2. The World Assembly Nautical Commission shall keep records of data gathered from seismic airburst surveys of the ocean floor. Where necessary to avoid 'free rider' issues, member nations are permitted to grant time-limited exclusive drilling rights to areas in which firms explore in exchange (amongst other things) for data recovered from such surveys. It may also make regulations referenced in section 1, cognisant of trade-offs between economic feasibility and associated reductions in ocean noise.
  3. Member nations shall prohibit blast fishing and the oceanic testing of weapons of mass destruction.
  4. Member nations are encouraged to:
    1. refrain from the use of active military sonar outside of wartime,
    2. reduce the geographic distribution of shipping lanes and take actions to reduce the geographic spread of shipping so as to increase the area of marine life habitats, and
    3. take further actions to reduce the level of ocean noise.

Rules violation: Metagaming

More particularly, the wording "Delegates and Members" in the long chapter that could've been replaced with "Hereby". If it was just "delegates", then I'd accept it was talking about the IC ambassadors assembled, but it specifically says "Delegates and Members", so how else to read that but as "regional delegates and non-delegate WA members"?

The Category/AoE also seems wrong, since all the justifications for the need of the proposal are fish/fishing/marine foodchain -related, but the active clauses are half GD, half transportation; but as I know GenSec will dismiss the complaint rather than deal with it, no official challenge on that part. (Oh and we really need the AoE "transportation", in general, rather than "automotive"...)

And before SP complains of why I didn't raise this issue before, it's because based on past experience IA won't change anything I complain about.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:53 am

Why the hell did you wait until it was at vote?!

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:00 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Why the hell did you wait until it was at vote?!

Because it went into vote while I was dealing with health problems in Real Life! When I post here when I'm in serious pain I'm even less compromising and nice than usually and I'd really rather not collect any more official WARNings. >:(
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Old Frontier
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Frontier » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Why the hell did you wait until it was at vote?!

Because it went into vote while I was dealing with health problems in Real Life! When I post here when I'm in serious pain I'm even less compromising and nice than usually and I'd really rather not collect any more official WARNings. >:(

You walk it off, dadgummit! Put real life above the WA one more time and see what happens!

;)

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:12 am

Old Frontier wrote:You walk it off, dadgummit! Put real life above the WA one more time and see what happens!

Don't make me want to hurt you. :P

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm

So where was the challenge for Ban on Secret Treaties? The enacting clause is exactly identical.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:So where was the challenge for Ban on Secret Treaties? The enacting clause is exactly identical.

viewtopic.php?p=32242183#p32242183

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:40 am

I'm not seeing either part of your complaint.

Delegates isn't being used in a way that necessarily comes across as referring to the game. We have ambassadorial delegations, the members of which are delegates. Besides, there's now precedent.

Also, this doesn't seem to deal with GD at all. It seems to deal with any business that relies on commercial shipping. That spans a lot, and while I agree on getting a Transportation area of effect, I still see this as ideal for an issue of environmental consideration.

Not seeing it.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:We have ambassadorial delegations, the members of which are delegates.

Yes, and if it had mentioned just delegates or just members, I'd agree with you. But it specifically says delegates and members.

And if you re-read the first post, you'll specifically see that I didn't make an official challenge about the category/AoE, I was just grumbling about it. :P

EDIT: Although, could I get official GenSec opinions on whether the AoE of "automotive" only refers to cars or all kinds of vehicles?
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am

Araraukar wrote:Yes, and if it had mentioned just delegates or just members, I'd agree with you. But it specifically says delegates and members.

Isn't that implying that "and" is somehow exclusive? That the use of "and" implies that no one on the right side is also on the left side? Redundant terms can always be linked together with "and" without implying exclusivity. A person can be a delegate for his nation and a member of this body at the same time.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:41 am

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:We have ambassadorial delegations, the members of which are delegates.

Yes, and if it had mentioned just delegates or just members, I'd agree with you. But it specifically says delegates and members.

I would give those different meanings so as to avoid surplusage if we were assuming a substantive interpretation, but this is just a pedantic introduction. There's really no need to take the interpretation that will certainly make this illegal when there is an otherwise reasonable and valid interpretation that it refers to Member States (as a whole) and also their ambassadorial staff (delegates).

And if you re-read the first post, you'll specifically see that I didn't make an official challenge about the category/AoE, I was just grumbling about it. :P

I know. I was still addressing it for posterity's sake.

EDIT: Although, could I get official GenSec opinions on whether the AoE of "automotive" only refers to cars or all kinds of vehicles?

Automotive: of or pertaining to the design, operation, manufacture, or sale of automobiles.

I'd love to take a more broad description of "automotive" to include all self-propelling vehicles, but I'm not sure I could stretch that definition much beyond trains without truly torturing the meaning. I'm in favor, but I'm not going to ignore the precedent "automobile manufacturing" without a mod saying that that's what was intended.

Even if that did happen, I am unwilling to declare the resolution illegal for an interpretation that was both previously unintelligible and not clarified by mods prior to submission.

That is my official stance on the issue.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am

Araraukar wrote:

Araraukar wrote:More particularly, the wording "Delegates and Members" in the long chapter that could've been replaced with "Hereby". If it was just "delegates", then I'd accept it was talking about the IC ambassadors assembled, but it specifically says "Delegates and Members", so how else to read that but as "regional delegates and non-delegate WA members"?

I read the "offending" phrase as referring to the individuals making up any member nation's delegation to the WA and the member nations themselves and, therefore, I don't see an issue under the metagaming rule.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:46 am

Bananaistan wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Yes, and if it had mentioned just delegates or just members, I'd agree with you. But it specifically says delegates and members.

I read the "offending" phrase as referring to the individuals making up any member nation's delegation to the WA and the member nations themselves and, therefore, I don't see an issue under the metagaming rule.

This is also how I read it.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:16 am

I agree with Ara, that this is a metagaming violation, but my reasons are different, so this is essentially a separate challenge. If you were just referring to the WA membership, you would only use the word "delegates" (referring to national delegations to the WA) or "members" (those who are members of the WA). Instead, you're using the two words together. Since it would be redundant for them both to mean the same thing. I construe the word "delegates" in this context to refer to the gameside mechanism of "regional delegate".
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:34 am

Thyerata wrote:I agree with Ara, that this is a metagaming violation, but my reasons are different, so this is essentially a separate challenge. If you were just referring to the WA membership, you would only use the word "delegates" (referring to national delegations to the WA) or "members" (those who are members of the WA). Instead, you're using the two words together. Since it would be redundant for them both to mean the same thing. I construe the word "delegates" in this context to refer to the gameside mechanism of "regional delegate".

Except there is a legal interpretation of the term delegate that doesn't involve a Discard. Why would we go looking for something to be illegal when there is a legal interpretation? That's absurd.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:18 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:

I would give those different meanings so as to avoid surplusage if we were assuming a substantive interpretation, but this is just a pedantic introduction. There's really no need to take the interpretation that will certainly make this illegal when there is an otherwise reasonable and valid interpretation that it refers to Member States (as a whole) and also their ambassadorial staff (delegates).

Agreed.

Araraukar wrote:Although, could I get official GenSec opinions on whether the AoE of "automotive" only refers to cars or all kinds of vehicles?

Automotive: of or pertaining to the design, operation, manufacture, or sale of automobiles.

I'd love to take a more broad description of "automotive" to include all self-propelling vehicles, but I'm not sure I could stretch that definition much beyond trains without truly torturing the meaning. I'm in favor, but I'm not going to ignore the precedent "automobile manufacturing" without a mod saying that that's what was intended.

I seem to recall previous Modly willingness to consider the broader application, but can't say where & when that was (and suspect that it's lost to us with the Jolt forum). If it comes down to a vote on policy for how that 'industry' should be interpreted in future, rather than to discussion for a legality challenge now, then I'd vote in favour of accepting the broader interpretation.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Thyerata wrote:I agree with Ara, that this is a metagaming violation, but my reasons are different, so this is essentially a separate challenge. If you were just referring to the WA membership, you would only use the word "delegates" (referring to national delegations to the WA) or "members" (those who are members of the WA). Instead, you're using the two words together. Since it would be redundant for them both to mean the same thing. I construe the word "delegates" in this context to refer to the gameside mechanism of "regional delegate".

Except there is a legal interpretation of the term delegate that doesn't involve a Discard. Why would we go looking for something to be illegal when there is a legal interpretation? That's absurd.
I agree with Thyerta on this.
If delegates were meant ICly, as the member's delegations, then it would say just delegates, or just members. The fact that it treats them as separate entities means that it must be speaking of the game mechanic, as this is the only time when there's a distinction between a delegates general membership. The "Legal interpretation" is not supported by the text.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:11 pm

This is ambiguous enough that I wouldn't support a Discard of the resolution at vote. Certainly the "he must mean Game Region Delegates!!!1!!!" interpretation isn't without merit, but neither is the "Delegates and Members just means the ordinary participants of the GA and their countries" one. We try to err on the side of interpreting things as legal where we can, and I don't agree that the first interpretation conclusively blows the other one out of the water. Therefore I have to maintain that this is legal.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Aclion wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Except there is a legal interpretation of the term delegate that doesn't involve a Discard. Why would we go looking for something to be illegal when there is a legal interpretation? That's absurd.
I agree with Thyerta on this.
If delegates were meant ICly, as the member's delegations, then it would say just delegates, or just members. The fact that it treats them as separate entities means that it must be speaking of the game mechanic, as this is the only time when there's a distinction between a delegates general membership. The "Legal interpretation" is not supported by the text.

Or maybe it meant delegations, as in the human representatives, and members, as in the states themselves. That seems actually very obvious and I see no reason to rule this illegal when there's a viable legal interpretation.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 pm

But automobile basically just means "self mobile", and some definitions (including Merriam-Webster's online dictionary) don't even specify ground vehicles. I would say automotive could be any self propelled vehicle.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 am

Will a decision be written on this after the expiration of the vote, or will it simply be noted that the GAS will not take up this question? I would certainly like to see some kind of codification that the main standard is that all interpretations must be rules-violating for a proposal to be found illegal.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 am

Further to section 7 of the Rules and Procedures of the GA Secretariat, no member of GenSec has proposed hearing the question.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:23 am

Bananaistan wrote:Further to section 7 of the Rules and Procedures of the GA Secretariat, no member of GenSec has proposed hearing the question.

Additionally, I am not prepared to extend this consensus to the honest mistake rule.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:36 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:

But automobile basically just means "self mobile", and some definitions (including Merriam-Webster's online dictionary) don't even specify ground vehicles. I would say automotive could be any self propelled vehicle.

It came from the automobile manufacturing AoE, so I tailor it to include that. If the Mods step in and say that they intended it to extend to all self-propelled vehicles, then I will happily reverse this. Otherwise, I have to be fairly conservative with my interpretation for fear of overreach.

Bananaistan wrote:Further to section 7 of the Rules and Procedures of the GA Secretariat, no member of GenSec has proposed hearing the question.

Yeah, that got a big No from me. This didn't seem to be necessary to rule on.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly