NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Rights of Convicts

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
New Gren Artle
Secretary

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned] Rights of Convicts

Postby New Gren Artle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:29 pm

The World Assembly understands how serious their crimes may be, but cannot deny the fact that everyone has the right not to be cruel or unusually punished.

The world Assembly awknowledges the cruel treatment towards prisoners from guards as well as from fellow prisoners that is happening within the prison system.

Under the protection of this act, all convicts, no matter how serious their crimes, have the right;

1. Not to be physically assaulted by prison guards and fellow prisoners.

2. Not to be sexually assaulted by fellow prisoners and prison guards.

3. Not to be treated in a cruel way. (Example: beaten, whipped, burned, etc)

4. Not to be deprived of food and water.

5. Not to be threatened by prison guards or fellow prisoners.

6. Not to engage in sexual activities if they do not want to.

Those who are found to be guilty of one or more of these crimes, must go in front of an impartial judge to decide their fate. The World Assembly recommends at least a 6 month suspension for prison guards and at least an extra year added onto a prisoner's sentence if they are found guilty.

Security cameras are highly recommended to stop these cruel crimes from happening within the prison, as well as help investigators find out who did it.

Prison guards must be trained in the field of sexual assault and how to prevent it within the prison.

An announcement to the prisoners prohibiting this conduct and making them aware of their possible sentencing is required.

Clarifying, this act protects everyone within the prison system. The crime you have committed does not matter in this situation, your rights can never be taken away.
Last edited by New Gren Artle on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Imperial States America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Imperial States America » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm not in the WA with this puppet nation but I can tell you that as of right now your proposal wouldn't even make it to a vote to be considered plus you don't mention how things such as sexual assaults or threats by prisoners towards prisoners would be stopped. Theirs just to many inconsistencies with your work I suggest looking up at prison procedures and criminal rights legislation in real life and apply those things into a new proposal.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Put the category and strength on the proposal. I would suggest human rights with category significant or strong. Though I would recommend researching previous proposals before hitting the forums with so many of them. Maybe only have two proposals active st the same time and concentrate solely on them.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 am

New Gren Artle wrote:1. Not to be physically assaulted by prison guards and fellow prisoners.

2. Not to be sexually assaulted by fellow prisoners and prison guards.

OOC: Already covered by existing resolutions.

3. Not to be treated in a cruel way. (Example: beaten, whipped, burned, etc)

Fairly sure already covered by existing resolutions.

4. Not to be deprived of food and water.

Already covered by existing resolutions.

5. Not to be threatened by prison guards or fellow prisoners.

Define "threatened". Does "Behave or you'll be put into solitary confinement for a week" count as a threat?

6. Not to engage in sexual activities if they do not want to.

You already said this, and it's already covered by existing resolutions.

Those who are found to be guilty of one or more of these crimes, must go in front of an impartial judge to decide their fate.

Already covered by existing resolutions.

The World Assembly recommends at least a 6 month suspension for prison guards

Micromanagement, not something the WA should meddle with.

and at least an extra year added onto a prisoner's sentence if they are found guilty.

Contradicts existing resolutions, also micromanagement, not something the WA should meddle with.

Security cameras are highly recommended to stop these cruel crimes from happening within the prison, as well as help investigators find out who did it.

Micromanagement, possibly irrelevant, given Reasonable Nation Theory.

Prison guards must be trained in the field of sexual assault and how to prevent it within the prison.

Sounds like you wanted to train them to sexually assault people.

An announcement to the prisoners prohibiting this conduct and making them aware of their possible sentencing is required.

Already required by existing legislation, since existing legislation already makes it illegal and all WA laws are required to have been made available to all WA citizens.

Clarifying, this act protects everyone within the prison system. The crime you have committed does not matter in this situation, your rights can never be taken away.

Fluff.

All in all, this seems to be one massive pile of duplication, and as such, illegal.

Passed resolutions can be found here, easily searched with keywords: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Return to General Assembly