NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Natural Disaster Prepardness

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
New Gren Artle
Secretary

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

[Abandoned] Natural Disaster Prepardness

Postby New Gren Artle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:50 pm

I would love suggestions as to what cartegory this proposal would go under if I were to submit it to the General Assembly, as well as some suggestions to make this proposal better.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
The World Assembly:

Understanding the demanding need for natural disaster preparedness, this act is designed to prepare everyone for a natural disaster in all member nations.

Natural Disasters include but are not limited to: hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes and flash floods.

The easiest way to save as many lives as possible is to require every member nation to be prepared for any natural disasters.

To meet international standards for natural disaster preparedness, member nations must:

1. Have above-ground shelters which are made out of strong materials (concrete is recommended) with no windows. These shelters are only required in communities with a population greater than 500 people. Every community with a population less than 500 are advised to go to the closest shelter, or to remain in their homes.

2. Have first-aid stations available throughout the nation.

3. Have safety regulations for buildings which will protect it from natural disasters.

4. Have a government appointed meteorologist that will broadcast information about possibilies of upcoming natural disasters to the whole nation.

5. In the unlikely event of there being not enough room in the shelters, take the children first.

6. Not deny anyone access to shelter based on their skin colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc.

7. Provide therapists or psychologists at the nation's discretion.

8. If natural disaster persists for more than 12 hours, provide a place for people to sleep in the shelters.

The World Assembly advises member nations to also set aside money to fund task force teams.
Last edited by New Gren Artle on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 pm

((OOC: As a suggestion, if I were you I'd pick one proposal to develop, instead of making lots and hoping one sticks. Proposals take a lot of time to perfect- it's a marathon, not a sprint.))

IC:

"It strikes me that having an underground shelter for floods is a terrible idea," says Iksana. "It seems like that could lead to people being trapped in the shelter, and if its airtight they suffocate and if it isn't they drown. Not very fun. Also, why mothers and children first? Children, I understand, but why mothers? Are we going to orphan a child whose only caretaker is their single father? What if our nation has a distinct lack of therapists and psychologists?"
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:41 am

"Oh, bless your heart, where should I begin," says Ambassador Drane, adjusting his glasses as he reads.

"Underground shelters is impossible in my nation, where the water table is high and the soil is sandy. We already have problems with sinkholes, and trying to build a basement under every house is only going to make it worse. First aid stations, well, let's think about this for a minute. In a hurricane or other weather event, people need to have well-stocked first aid kits at home, inside the home, not at some 'station' around the corner where they can't get to it. Although, having first aid stations at every public shelter, that would be a decent idea. Clause 4, we have the weather folks at our television stations, is that enough? Remember, smaller nations like ours don't have weather satellites or advanced computer... techno... mumbo jumbo, so we rely on forecasts from larger nations, who are all too eager to share meteorological data publicly. Clause 5, that's a terrible idea. What about single fathers, should they be separated from their children? What about elderly men? And what about existing international laws that state we cannot discriminate based on gender? This is the wrong way to go about it; build more shelters, or enable more public buildings like schools to be converted into shelters, that's the answer. Clearly our goal should be to turn no one away from a shelter for any reason. Clause 6, again, discrimination is already covered in other resolutions, no need to repeat it here, though I find it... interesting, that you think it's permissible to discriminate against males in clause 5 but not on the basis of gender identity in clause 6. Clause 7, well, that's just not practical, we don't have near enough psychologists in our nation to minister to every single person affected by a disaster, and besides, support groups and the clergy can do just as well for some folks. We can set up hotlines to enable victims to seek out help, that should suffice. Clause 8, well, isn't... that... what a shelter is? A place for people to sleep when disaster strikes?"

Drane takes another read through the proposal. "Okay, clause 3, that's very good advice, something we learned the hard way many years ago, but the rest of this, ambassador, it needs a lot of work. Thank you for hearing my comments."
Last edited by Imperial Polk County on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am

All replies OOC.

New Gren Artle wrote:1. Have underground shelters that lock in the event of a flood, with room for everyone in the area, and equipped with sufficient food and water, throughout the nation.

Underground shelters to protect from flooding? That lock? Are you trying to save people or to kill them? What happens when a leak occurs (it is almost impossible to guarantee a completely watertight seal in a large area such as a shelter), and the place starts flooding. The doors are locked. No escape. The entire shelter becomes a flooded-out tomb.

New Gren Artle wrote:3. Have safety regulations for buildings which will protect it from natural disasters.

To guarantee protection from all natural disasters, nothing short of a heavily reinforced concrete structure would be suitable, with no windows, and a hermetically sealed door that is several feet thick. It would be impossible to guarantee protection from natural disasters for existing buildings. Completely impossible. The only way to do it would be to encase them in acrylic polymer blocks. But then the building would be unusable.

New Gren Artle wrote:4. Have meteorological services in every community to predict when natural disasters will happen.

In every community? Really? You do realize that some villages and hamlets have less than a dozen people in them, and yet you expect them to have their own meteorological station?

New Gren Artle wrote:5. In the unlikely hood of there being not enough room in the shelters, take the children first.

I don't know what an "unlikely hood" is, but it sounds bad, I do not want to wear one.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

New Gren Artle
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby New Gren Artle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 am

The New California Republic wrote:All replies OOC.

New Gren Artle wrote:1. Have underground shelters that lock in the event of a flood, with room for everyone in the area, and equipped with sufficient food and water, throughout the nation.

Underground shelters to protect from flooding? That lock? Are you trying to save people or to kill them? What happens when a leak occurs (it is almost impossible to guarantee a completely watertight seal in a large area such as a shelter), and the place starts flooding. The doors are locked. No escape. The entire shelter becomes a flooded-out tomb.

New Gren Artle wrote:3. Have safety regulations for buildings which will protect it from natural disasters.

To guarantee protection from all natural disasters, nothing short of a heavily reinforced concrete structure would be suitable, with no windows, and a hermetically sealed door that is several feet thick. It would be impossible to guarantee protection from natural disasters for existing buildings. Completely impossible. The only way to do it would be to encase them in acrylic polymer blocks. But then the building would be unusable.

New Gren Artle wrote:4. Have meteorological services in every community to predict when natural disasters will happen.

In every community? Really? You do realize that some villages and hamlets have less than a dozen people in them, and yet you expect them to have their own meteorological station?

New Gren Artle wrote:5. In the unlikely hood of there being not enough room in the shelters, take the children first.

I don't know what an "unlikely hood" is, but it sounds bad, I do not want to wear one.

Thanks for your suggestions, I made some improvements.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:23 pm

New Gren Artle wrote:Thanks for your suggestions, I made some improvements.

The best improvement you could make would be to abandon this "one size fits nobody" proposal. Specific details almost never work in such instances. No single solution will be appropriate for 23,061 member nations.

If you must mandate something, mandate that every WA nation set aside money and staffing for a Task Force to address national emergency conditions. It may have already been done. Start by looking at the Passed Resolution list. Let each nation deal with their own problems in their own way.

Return to General Assembly