NATION

PASSWORD

[Legality Challenge] "Against Political Discrimination"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Legality Challenge] "Against Political Discrimination"

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 am

Link
Potted Plants United wrote:
Against Political Discrimination

Category: Furtherment of Democracy
Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

1. Declares that personal matters such as sexuality, religion and religious belief are to be held purely private personal matters entitled to all the protections set by previous international legislation,

2. Declares that purely private, personal matters must not be used against an individual by any political entity, governmental or otherwise, to prevent the individual's participation in democracy,

3. Mandates that using private, personal matters to prevent an individual's full and fair participation in a democratic system must be criminalized.

I argue that the proposal in question is complete duplication of CoCR. Yes, CoCR is broad... but so is this proposal. And it is not just partial duplication, the proposal adds nothing that is already done by CoCR in its first three clauses:
a) All inhabitants of member states are equal in status in law and under its actions, and have the right to equal treatment and protection by the nation they inhabit or in which they are currently present.

b ) All inhabitants of member states are entitled to rights secured to them in international law and the law of the nation they inhabit or in which they are currently present.

c ) All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including sex, race, ethnicity, nationality, skin color, language, economic or cultural background, physical or mental disability or condition, religion or belief system, sexual orientation or sexual identity, or any other arbitrarily assigned and reductive categorisation which may be used for the purposes of discrimination, except for compelling practical purposes, such as hiring only female staff to work with battered women who have sought refuge from their abusers.

So we see CoCR already prevents discrimination on the grounds covered by Against Political Discrimination, which covers any personal matters (which would be arbitrary and reductive categorizations), including sexuality and religion which are specifically mentions in CoCR. Against Political Discrimination does not add anything new to International Legislation, and should it be held legal it would open the door for a million CoCR clones: "Against Hiring Discrimination", " Against Discrimination Against Racial Minorities", "Against Arbitrary and Reductive Categorizations", etc.

Additionally, I also argue that Against Political Discrimination contradicts CoCR, which explictly allows discrimination for compelling practical purposes, while Against Political Discrimination prhobits discrimination totally, not allowing for compelling practical purposes.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:14 am

It looks like it fits in the realm of acceptable minor duplication to further address a more specific area. This closes the loophole that would allow states to consider religious belief for government office a compelling reason, as you note. That seems reasonable to me.

And we have allowed more specific proposals to duplicate broad legislation, so I don't see the proposals you list as being specifically illegal provided they're narrow enough in scope on their own.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:20 am

The game tracks civil rights and political freedom separately. I don't know where it draws the line, but, I don't see anything in the existing resolution that says anything about political freedom. The proposed resolution does, explicitly.
For World Assembly business: Ambassador Pino Sporco, Val Trebbia, Nessuna

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:20 am

Nessuna-Arma wrote:The game tracks civil rights and political freedom separately. I don't know where it draws the line, but, I don't see anything in the existing resolution that says anything about political freedom. The proposed resolution does, explicitly.

A point I had not considered.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am

You mean I got one right? KEWL! :)
For World Assembly business: Ambassador Pino Sporco, Val Trebbia, Nessuna

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

In addition it contradicts protections in World Assembly Resolution #30 Freedom of Expression by criminalizing political criticism of a person's beliefs with the intention of damaging their political candidacy. Their " full and fair participation in a democratic system"

Affirms the right of all people to express their personal, moral, political, cultural, religious and ideological views freely and openly, without fear of reprisal

Separatist Peoples wrote:It looks like it fits in the realm of acceptable minor duplication to further address a more specific area. This closes the loophole that would allow states to consider religious belief for government office a compelling reason, as you note. That seems reasonable to me.

And we have allowed more specific proposals to duplicate broad legislation, so I don't see the proposals you list as being specifically illegal provided they're narrow enough in scope on their own.

You've ignored the contradiction.
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Aclion wrote:In addition it contradicts protections in World Assembly Resolution #30 Freedom of Expression by criminalizing political criticism of a person's beliefs with the intention of damaging their political candidacy. Their " full and fair participation in a democratic system"

Affirms the right of all people to express their personal, moral, political, cultural, religious and ideological views freely and openly, without fear of reprisal

Separatist Peoples wrote:It looks like it fits in the realm of acceptable minor duplication to further address a more specific area. This closes the loophole that would allow states to consider religious belief for government office a compelling reason, as you note. That seems reasonable to me.

You've ignored the contradiction.

Reprisal is a reactive punishment. Being generally barred from participation is not a reprisal. And I don't see that it is a contradiciton. Discrimination for a Compelling Practical Purpose (CPP) is allowed. This ensures that a particular form of discrimination is, in effect, not a CPP.

Between the narrow goal of the current proposal and the broad effects of CoCR, it doesn't seem like sufficient overlap to cause a legality issue. We have precedent regarding CoCR that allows resolutions expand upon CoCR in particular circumstances, and a plausible interpretation of the target proposal that is legal. Other GenSec members are more than welcome to weigh in, but thats how I'm seeing it barring a convincing argument otherwise.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Aclion wrote:In addition it contradicts protections in World Assembly Resolution #30 Freedom of Expression by criminalizing political criticism of a person's beliefs with the intention of damaging their political candidacy. Their " full and fair participation in a democratic system"

The right to express something and the right to not be attacked/discriminated against because of the same something, are not contradictory. RL non-political example of the rights involved: I am transgender, I have the right to speak about it and express my true gender, and I also have the right to not be attacked and harassed (or shut out of the democratic system) because I am transgender. One right does not contradict the other.

EDIT: I'm sure you know the saying "Your right to swing your fist ends where the other person's face begins." ;)
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:Between the narrow goal of the current proposal and the broad effects of CoCR, it doesn't seem like sufficient overlap to cause a legality issue. We have precedent regarding CoCR that allows resolutions expand upon CoCR in particular circumstances, and a plausible interpretation of the target proposal that is legal. Other GenSec members are more than welcome to weigh in, but thats how I'm seeing it barring a convincing argument otherwise.

You are again speaking in terms of duplication. While minor duplication is acceptable and inevitable no amount of contradiction is acceptable, because any contradiction forces nations to roleplay noncompliance with at least one resolution.

Araraukar wrote:

The right to express something and the right to not be attacked/discriminated against because of the same something, are not contradictory. RL non-political example of the rights involved: I am transgender, I have the right to speak about it and express my true gender, and I also have the right to not be attacked and harassed (or shut out of the democratic system) because I am transgender. One right does not contradict the other.

You're limiting the scope of the offending proposal. Yes it criminalizes attacks and discrimination, but not specificly. It criminalizes any action that prevents "full and fair participation in a democratic system".
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Aclion wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:Between the narrow goal of the current proposal and the broad effects of CoCR, it doesn't seem like sufficient overlap to cause a legality issue. We have precedent regarding CoCR that allows resolutions expand upon CoCR in particular circumstances, and a plausible interpretation of the target proposal that is legal. Other GenSec members are more than welcome to weigh in, but thats how I'm seeing it barring a convincing argument otherwise.

You are again speaking in terms of duplication. While minor duplication is acceptable and inevitable no amount of contradiction is acceptable, because any contradiction forces nations to roleplay noncompliance with at least one resolution.

There isn't a contradiction. There is a reasonable interpretation that allows for both to exist, which is a strong argument in favor of legality. It requires states to consider the above mentioned forms of discrimination as those which are not compelling practical purposes. You can still find CPPs elsewhere. Simply not here. That isn't a contradiction, that's threading the eye of a legal needle. The way nations have to consider certain actions is altered, but the requirements under CoCR haven't changed. That's how I read it the first time around, and that's still how I'm reading it. That it has the same practical effect is irrelevant when the mechanism is different.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:It looks like it fits in the realm of acceptable minor duplication to further address a more specific area.

The entirety of the proposal is duplication. That's not minor.

Furthermore, "private personal matters" can be interpreted so broadly that I argue this is not a more specific area. It isn't singling out a specific group for special protections, or clarifying a certain right or compelling purpose... it is merely repeating what CoCR already says.

This closes the loophole that would allow states to consider religious belief for government office a compelling reason, as you note. That seems reasonable to me.

That's blatant contradiction. CoCR allows religious discrimination for compelling purposes, this resolution outlaws it.

We have allowed proposals to partially duplicate. I am not aware of a resolution which fully duplicates CoCR. If so, I would argue that it is illegal.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Aclion wrote:You are again speaking in terms of duplication. While minor duplication is acceptable and inevitable no amount of contradiction is acceptable, because any contradiction forces nations to roleplay noncompliance with at least one resolution.

There isn't a contradiction. There is a reasonable interpretation that allows for both to exist, which is a strong argument in favor of legality. It requires states to consider the above mentioned forms of discrimination as those which are not compelling practical purposes. You can still find CPPs elsewhere. Simply not here. That isn't a contradiction, that's threading the eye of a legal needle. The way nations have to consider certain actions is altered, but the requirements under CoCR haven't changed. That's how I read it the first time around, and that's still how I'm reading it. That it has the same practical effect is irrelevant when the mechanism is different.

Your reasonable interpretation is to treat the resolution as an amendment, barring specific classes from CoCR's Compelling purposes protections. That is still an illegality.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Aclion wrote:Your reasonable interpretation is to treat the resolution as an amendment, barring specific classes from CoCR's Compelling purposes protections. That is still an illegality.

That's obviously not an amendment, it doesn't change the text of a past resolution.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:The standard is not how much of the proposal covers extant legislation for that test, its how much of the extant legislation is covered. If one line of a proposal duplicated ALL of CoCR, that wouldn't be minor, even if it was only a single line. I think you're measuring the wrong thing here.

Furthermore, "private personal matters" can be interpreted so broadly that I argue this is not a more specific area. It isn't singling out a specific group for special protections, or clarifying a certain right or compelling purpose... it is merely repeating what CoCR already says.

It can be. It doesn't have to be. There are interpretations of "private personal matters" that would not be so broad as that, which means there is sufficient ambiguity to merit a decision. Specifically, the interpretation that the category leads me to accept is that the proposal seeks to deal with private personal matters in the context of political rights and not civil rights.
That's blatant contradiction. CoCR allows religious discrimination for compelling purposes, this resolution outlaws it.

This shifts the interpretation of compelling practical purposes to necessarily include those private matters in the context of political participation in democracies.

We have allowed proposals to partially duplicate. I am not aware of a resolution which fully duplicates CoCR. If so, I would argue that it is illegal.

Again, I believe the "Minor" part deals specifically with the amount of resolution covered, and not the percentage of the proposal. Otherwise, the old Freedom of Marriage Act wouldn't have been legal, as it dealt with civil rights and sexual orientation in it's entirety, yet wasn't a Duplicate of CoCR.

Aclion wrote:Your reasonable interpretation is to treat the resolution as an amendment, barring specific classes from CoCR's Compelling purposes protections. That is still an illegality.

I truly cannot help you if you are incapable of understanding the nuance here. It isn't an amendment. Otherwise, Reproductive Freedoms would have been an Illegal Amendment of On Abortion for expanding the circumstances for which OA allowed abortion.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:That's blatant contradiction. CoCR allows religious discrimination for compelling purposes, this resolution outlaws it.

CoCR allows any discrimination for compelling purposes, yet there are a lot of other resolutions in the books banning certain kinds of discrimination.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:I truly cannot help you if you are incapable of understanding the nuance here. It isn't an amendment. Otherwise, Reproductive Freedoms would have been an Illegal Amendment of On Abortion for expanding the circumstances for which OA allowed abortion.

Utterly different. Reproductive Freedoms did not necessitate a change in On Abortion.

APD requires a change in CoCR, specifically the interpretation of the compelling practical purposes clause must be narrowed to exclude discrimination on the basis of sexuality, religion and religious belief, as this is the only way to avoid contradictions in cases where there is a compelling practical purpose to keep an office open only to members of that group.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Aclion wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:I truly cannot help you if you are incapable of understanding the nuance here. It isn't an amendment. Otherwise, Reproductive Freedoms would have been an Illegal Amendment of On Abortion for expanding the circumstances for which OA allowed abortion.

Utterly different. Reproductive Freedoms did not necessitate a change in On Abortion.

APD requires a change in CoCR, specifically the interpretation of the compelling practical purposes clause must be narrowed to exclude discrimination on the basis of sexuality, religion and religious belief, as this is the only way to avoid contradictions in cases where there is a compelling practical purpose to keep an office open only to members of that group.

OOC: which is not an amendment or a contradiction. Legal interpretation often changed as new laws alternate paradigm of policy. Again, I cannot help you if you don't see the difference. I have articulated my reasoning pretty clearly.

Mitch01
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mitch01 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:58 am

It baffles me how anyone could vote against this bill. I fail to see any problems with it, and I agree with it entirely. Can a member of the majority please inform me of why they voted against?
I refer you to section 1 of "Against Political Discrimination", where it is clearly stated that sexuality, religion, and religious belief are EXAMPLES of personal matters. Note the use of the phrase 'such as' to inform the reader that MANY MORE things are declared personal matters for the purposes of the bill, not just those 3 things as everyone seems to think.
Last edited by Mitch01 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:02 am

Mitch01 wrote:It baffles me how anyone could vote against this bill. I fail to see any problems with it, and I agree with it entirely. Can a member of the majority please inform me of why they voted against?

You want the debate thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=421381

This is the legality challenge thread.
Last edited by Bananaistan on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Mitch01
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mitch01 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:09 am

Bananaistan wrote:
Mitch01 wrote:It baffles me how anyone could vote against this bill. I fail to see any problems with it, and I agree with it entirely. Can a member of the majority please inform me of why they voted against?

You want the debate thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=421381

This is the legality challenge thread.

I accidentally clicked submit before I was done typing. I have since edited my post.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 am

Araraukar wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:That's blatant contradiction. CoCR allows religious discrimination for compelling purposes, this resolution outlaws it.

CoCR allows any discrimination for compelling purposes, yet there are a lot of other resolutions in the books banning certain kinds of discrimination.

Certain kinds of discrimination, perhaps. Not a wholesale ban on discrimination for any reason.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:49 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:Certain kinds of discrimination, perhaps. Not a wholesale ban on discrimination for any reason.

I'd say that using private matters to stop someone from voting is a pretty precise reason.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 am

Nessuna-Arma wrote:The game tracks civil rights and political freedom separately. I don't know where it draws the line, but, I don't see anything in the existing resolution that says anything about political freedom. The proposed resolution does, explicitly.

That was an important part of my reasoning, too. Applying the CoCR's protections to political rights as well to non-political ones would effectively make it 'Significant' in two categories at once, which is more of an overlap than has previously been considered acceptable... and would also have banned a number of government types (because it would prevent the selection of national governments from having a requirement on the basis of party membership, religion, heredity, wealth, or various other factors) which would mean that it should have been declared illegal rather than allowed to the voting stage.
(Also, although of course authors' intentions aren't legally binding on us, the CoCR's author did say -- when I questioned him on the latter point during the drafting stage -- that he didn't mean it to apply to political matters...)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:24 am

Araraukar wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:Certain kinds of discrimination, perhaps. Not a wholesale ban on discrimination for any reason.

I'd say that using private matters to stop someone from voting is a pretty precise reason.

No, it is not. Past resolutions have prohibited discrimination for specific reasons. This still allows discrimination for compelling purposes.

This proposal prohibits discrimination for ANY reason. That does not allow discrimination for compelling practical purposes.

This creates contradiction.

Bears Armed wrote:That was an important part of my reasoning, too. Applying the CoCR's protections to political rights as well to non-political ones would effectively make it 'Significant' in two categories at once, which is more of an overlap than has previously been considered acceptable... and would also have banned a number of government types (because it would prevent the selection of national governments from having a requirement on the basis of party membership, religion, heredity, wealth, or various other factors) which would mean that it should have been declared illegal rather than allowed to the voting stage.
(Also, although of course authors' intentions aren't legally binding on us, the CoCR's author did say -- when I questioned him on the latter point during the drafting stage -- that he didn't mean it to apply to political matters...)

Whatever happened to the law does what the law says? Categories do not determine what resolutions do: their text does. CoCR prohibits discrimination... that includes political discrimination.

And it would not be declared illegal for banning government types. GenSec has upheld the longtime precedent that banning certain practices central to ideologies is legal, only directly banning ideologies is illegal. Any number of government types cannot operate in the usual fashion under CoCR, but that does not make what it does illegal.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:49 am

1. I think this proposal duplicates CoCR. The only argument against duplication is that CoCR protects civil rights, not political rights, but precedent suggests that isn't the case. Ard has previously ruled that voting -- a political right -- is included under the protections of CoCR

On duplication of CoCR: Resolution #35, Charter of Civil Rights, protects inhabitants of WA member nations from discrimination based on reductive categories such as age, sex, religion, creed etc. But democratic rights have been refused on other grounds that were not "arbitrarily assigned and reductive", or for categories that authorities believed were for a "compelling practical purpose", eg, land ownership, literacy. This proposal attempts to deal with that.

I think EP is right, then, that CoCR covers more than just civil rights, despite the category. Of course, moderator precedent is not dispositive, but Ard's ruling suggests that the WA has not historically considered CoCR to cover only civil rights. In it's current form, I would consider this proposal illegal for violating the duplication rule.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly