NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Promotion of Recycling

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Greifenburg wrote:OOC: Well, you did point out that reusage of for example glass bottles is a thing. That's not recycling perse, but reuse. With 5) I make sure that such programs (got it this time) can coexist with recycling and that this is not a blocker for resolutions addressing such programs.

OOC: ...that has nothing to do with what you wrote. You can't just put in a "future resolutions can make any laws they like about recycling and reuse", as the future proposals still can't contradict anything in your resolution and be legal. If you meant to say your proposal doesn't affect re-use and composting (or whatever you want to leave out of it), then just say so.

so a bit more feedback beyond "I know what you're saying, but the sentence makes no sense" would be welcome.

For that you may need to wait until next week, because RL being so hectic, I'm operating on serious sleep deprivation and just using English (which is a foreign language to me) to say anything without a massive amount of typos is a struggle. Writing exact law text is currently beyond me.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: ...that has nothing to do with what you wrote. You can't just put in a "future resolutions can make any laws they like about recycling and reuse", as the future proposals still can't contradict anything in your resolution and be legal. If you meant to say your proposal doesn't affect re-use and composting (or whatever you want to leave out of it), then just say so.

OOC: Reuse is not covered in the definition of recycling in this draft, you brought it up in the first place. Not all waste reduction programs are recycling (though composting technically is). The three R's IRL are "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle", of which I only intended to cover the last one. It doesn't say "new resolutions can make new laws about recycling", it says "other waste reduction programs" (like a reuse program for bottles, as you made the example), which can supplement one another just fine.

For that you may need to wait until next week, because RL being so hectic, I'm operating on serious sleep deprivation and just using English (which is a foreign language to me) to say anything without a massive amount of typos is a struggle. Writing exact law text is currently beyond me.

I know that feeling, and hope it will get better for you soon. Maybe I'll find a better formulation in the mean time.
Last edited by Greifenburg on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Greifenburg wrote:OOC: Reuse is not covered in the definition of recycling in this draft, you brought it up in the first place.

OOC: Your definition ""Recyclable waste material" as a material that can be reprocessed into materials fit for manufacturing" include reusable materials. You then use that definition to define recycling and then mandate recycling. Maybe it you excluded reusable materials from the definition of recyclable waste, it wouldn't create the issue of mandating the recycling of what could be reused instead.

But I'm crawling to bed now anyway. Good night.
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Your definition ""Recyclable waste material" as a material that can be reprocessed into materials fit for manufacturing" include reusable materials. You then use that definition to define recycling and then mandate recycling. Maybe it you excluded reusable materials from the definition of recyclable waste, it wouldn't create the issue of mandating the recycling of what could be reused instead.

OOC: I think you just hit a nail there. If I reprocess something, I don't reuse it even if it is reusable. I can exclude reusable materials from there, that's fine by me.

But I'm crawling to bed now anyway. Good night.

Good night.
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:13 am

Wouldn't use the word "garbage" in the preamble. Try "refuse".
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:39 am

Falcania wrote:Wouldn't use the word "garbage" in the preamble. Try "refuse".

"Well, we changed the wording. And it took us only almost a year. I'm impressed with the speed my office works these days.

Also, a clarification clause regarding other waste reduction programs has been added."

Gorundu
Envoy

Founded: May 02, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gorundu » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:59 am

This has been submitted by the author and is now in queue. I'm in support. No flaws that I can find so far.
Former Delegate of The North Pacific

Badge hunter (x3)
Former lurker of WA forums
Author of GA#485, GA#516, SC#337 and the other one we don't talk about
Posts do not represent my region's views unless stated otherwise.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:15 am

“I question whether there are such things as the ‘energy-intensive resources’ mentioned in the preamble. A process can use energy, but no resource that I know of absorbs energy passively. Nevertheless, this proposal has full support from this delegation.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:11 am

Kenmoria wrote:“I question whether there are such things as the ‘energy-intensive resources’ mentioned in the preamble. A process can use energy, but no resource that I know of absorbs energy passively. Nevertheless, this proposal has full support from this delegation.”

"First, I would like to thank you for your support. Regarding the term "energy-intesive resources", it was intended to refer to resources that require high amounts of energy to aquire, hence making them energy-intensive. However, I concede that the meaning might have been lost here, even if it sounds right to me."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:21 pm

OOC: As Araraukar is already compliant with the mandates, no opposition from me.

IC: "Wouldn't every reasonable nation already be doing everything required by the proposal?"

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:03 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: As Araraukar is already compliant with the mandates, no opposition from me.

IC: "Wouldn't every reasonable nation already be doing everything required by the proposal?"

"Oh, I'm pretty sure every reasonable nation fulfills those requirements. Now, if only every nation was reasonable, the World Assembly would never need to make another resolution again."

Ambassador Schreiner looks thoughtful.

"Then again, our reason might appear insane to others."

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:04 pm

"Our Republic welcomes this resolution. Despite our best efforts to encourage others to recycle, providing vast facilities to allow our neighbors to do so, all they seem to send to us are electronic cigarette batteries, as if GAR #459 is some sort of joke to them. Alas, we hope this proposal will encourage cleaner environments throughout all worlds, and wish this proposal nothing but the best."
Last edited by Cosmosplosion on Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Minister of World Assembly Affairs - The North Pacific
Former WA Delegate - The Versutian Federation
Author of GAR #459 - On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. - Che Guevara

Economic Left/Right: -7.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Interwood
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Interwood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:34 pm

For.

I can't find any significant issues with this (other than a slight typo in clause 2(b) which says "recyclable materials" as opposed to the defined "recyclable waste materials", an issue with very minimal consequences).

Tarnik
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarnik » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:48 am

The environment affects us all and after ignoring the environment for economic gain, the people of Tarnik recognize this. Therefore we will be voting in support of this resolution and hope that other nations will rally to do the same.

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:44 pm

*Ambassador Delacroix stands to speak* "Many of these measures are already being used within the borders of the New Galactic Republic thus I along with the Chancellor will support this proposal."
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

The COT Corporation
Envoy

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby The COT Corporation » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:01 pm

The ambassador emerges from a shady corner of the room, and steps up on a pedestal.

"This proposal is ill-written in our eyes. Does clause 2.a. mandate the use of recycling to the best of our ability? Or as much as we want within our ability?"
- Juleas Brimstone, recently elected WA ambassador. Author of the proposal, Limitation of Inhumane Weaponry.

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:57 pm

The COT Corporation wrote:The ambassador emerges from a shady corner of the room, and steps up on a pedestal.

"This proposal is ill-written in our eyes. Does clause 2.a. mandate the use of recycling to the best of our ability? Or as much as we want within our ability?"

"It would mandate the implementation to the best of a nations abilities, ambassador."

Rex the Very Good Boy
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Rex the Very Good Boy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Arf! Arf! Arf!

(full support)

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:56 pm

Greifenburg wrote:4. Clarifies that this resolution does neither prevent nor discrourage the implementation of other waste reduction methods before or after recycling takes place.

Spelling mistake. Against.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:14 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Spelling mistake. Against.

"Well... that's embarrassing."

Schreiner grimaces and mumbles "We need new proofreaders in the office..."

Kyrgwalaey
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyrgwalaey » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:38 pm

"Though we may appear to be lacking a softer side," the Great Asmofad Tajari III voices, "It is in our spiritual, financial and moral interest to invest in our environment. We value the beauty of nature essential to our lives, and financially responsible for my continued reign. Industry is limited to materials which are inorganic."

A crowd of children with blank faces make an entrance into the room (Accompanied by military officers, of course). They begin clapping alongside a joyful shedding of tears. The kids are immediately ordered out on Tajari's command, and violent shouting is heard through the thick walls.

Bear Connors Paradiso
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bear Connors Paradiso » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Companies should be responsible for reusing their own products. NO MORE SINGLE USE! Take those old plastic/aluminum/glass bottles, melt them down, remake them into new bottles and refill. Why are we dumping it all on poor nations or charging our own citizens when it's clearly a corporate byproduct?

Grubville
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Grubville » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:56 pm

Whilst my nation is in favour of industrial development, I don't believe this has to come at the expense of the environment. Indeed, as traditionally non-environmentally friendly sectors lose favour, I believe that other sectors that find ways to work in environmentally-conscious ways will flourish.

Grubville votes in support of this proposal, and implores others to do the same.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Greifenburg wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Spelling mistake. Against.

"Well... that's embarrassing."

Schreiner grimaces and mumbles "We need new proofreaders in the office..."

OOC:
there's also weird font changes in the text. Looks totally out of place for a resolution.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:OOC: there's also weird font changes in the text. Looks totally out of place for a resolution.

OOC: I've noticed those in other resolutions, too, where I'm quite sure there were no actual font changes in the actual text, so I think it's some kind of artifact, possibly due to text copied directly off of something like Word. I don't think the author should be blamed for systemic incompatibility error.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives