NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Ban on Secret Treaties

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Elise Mortimer Wellesley, "We have caved to pressure and defined 'secret treaty'."

Neville: You forgot 'for the purposes of this resolution'.

Harold: Wouldn't that definition also include big cats and extinct species?
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Ecumenopolis-V
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Treaties (Openness of Communication) Act.

Postby Ecumenopolis-V » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

As a matter of policy, it is the view of His Majesty's Government that confidentiality of a treaty is the prerogative of parties to a treaty to determine. However, as a member of the World Assembly, His Majesty's Government understands that there needs to be a level of openness between members in order to fulfil the true purpose of the World Assembly.

Accordingly, His Majesty's Government seeks that the scope of the proposed resolution is reduced to treaties between members of the World Assembly. Further, it is the view of His Majesty's Government that there ought to be certain exemptions to the general rule of openness. Accordingly, His Majesty's Government proposes that the resolution is reworded to incorporate the amendments consequent to the policy of His Majesty's Government in this aspect. The reworded Resolution is enclosed with this communique.

Yours Faithfully

His Majesty's Envoy to the World Assembly

Treaties (Openness of Communication) Act.

It is the view of the World Assembly, that States may enter into agreements and treaties which may have ramifications on States that are not Parties to the same;. Accordingly, it is hereby resolved that there is a need for the World Assembly to address the issue; Consequently;

BE IT ENACTED by the World Assembly, by and with the advice and consent of the Delegates and Members, in this present session assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

Section 1: This Act may be cited as the Treaties (Openness of Communication) Act.

Section 2: (1)In this act the following terms shall have the meanings assigned to them under this Section 2.

(2) "enforcement" or "enforcement" shall mean seeking redress in the event of a breach of a right or obligation either by way of instituting proceedings or making a complaint in this aspect to any person.

(3) "treaty" or "treaties" means an agreement concluded between two or more states States in written form or by way of conduct and governed by international law, whether embodied in a single instrument or in two or more related instruments and whatever its particular designation and includes exchange of diplomatic notes that constitute an agreement to create any right or obligation on behalf of one party towards or against the other;

(4) "Register of Treaties" shall mean the register at Section 3(1)

(5) "Register of Treaties" shall mean the person referred to at Section 3(1)

Section 3: (1)There is hereby established a Register of Treaties which shall be overseen by a Registrar General appointed by the World Assembly.

(2) Parties to any treaty may transmit an authenticated copy of each Treaty to the Registrar General.

(3) All treaties between member states of the World Assembly shall be transmitted by the member states concerned within seven days of the said treaty being ratified unless the said treaty is one that relates to:

(a)Treaties which in the opinion of a party to any treaty would prejudice its national security if registered.

(b) Treaties which in the opinion of a party to any treaty would prejudice its relations with states who are not members of the World Assembly if registered.

Section 4: No enforcement action may be brought in relation to a right or obligation arising out of a Treaty unless the said Treaty has been registered under Section 3.

Section 5: Within thirty days of the commencement of this Act, States shall be required to register all treaties which are liable to be registered under this Act with the Registrar General

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 am

Ecumenopolis-V wrote:snip

OOC:
It's generally considered bad form to post your own proposal in someone else's proposal thread.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Ecumenopolis-V
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ecumenopolis-V » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:21 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Ecumenopolis-V wrote:snip

OOC:
It's generally considered bad form to post your own proposal in someone else's proposal thread.

OOC:

Apologies if I have caused anyone offense (am new). The topic on this thread was a ban on secret treaties. This is not my proposal. I merely agreed with it and differed on a few aspects. I've incorporated it into a draft and posted it. It's the OP's proposal merely now being updated as the discussions proceed. Members may veto my draft or take from my draft and incorporate it in the original draft or use my draft. Whatever it may be the proposal is still that of OP's and if it fails, I don't plan on moving it.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 am

Ecumenopolis-V wrote:OOC:

Apologies if I have caused anyone offense (am new). The topic on this thread was a ban on secret treaties. This is not my proposal. I merely agreed with it and differed on a few aspects. I've incorporated it into a draft and posted it. It's the OP's proposal merely now being updated as the discussions proceed. Members may veto my draft or take from my draft and incorporate it in the original draft or use my draft. Whatever it may be the proposal is still that of OP's and if it fails, I don't plan on moving it.

OOC:
If it is your draft, post it in a new thread. This is not the OP's draft updated, it is a new draft on the same topic. You even gave it a different title ("Openness of Communication Act") and changed every section of IA's draft. It resembles IA's draft very little, and you aren't going to fool anyone into thinking it is his proposal. Post it in a new thread if you want, but people are here to discuss IA's draft, not yours, and it will cause confusion if people debate two different drafts in the same thread.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Whilst searching for a telephone, K-9 rolls into the debate chamber. After obtaining a copy of the draft and reading through, he comes across the fourth clause.
Imperium Anglorum wrote:4. 'Secret treaty', and all variant capitalisations thereof, shall mean military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats.

<We do not understand this definition. What do weapons and cats have to do with international agreements? We cannot offer support while this definition stands.>
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:<We do not understand this definition. What do weapons and cats have to do with international agreements? We cannot offer support while this definition stands.>

Madsons: Ah! I see! A feline hater! It's your kind we are fighting against! We see this conspiracy put forth by these kay-nines! Trying to undermine our society! Destroy our people!

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:51 pm

'Secret treaty', and all variant capitalisations thereof, shall mean military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats.

Since when does secret treaty mean cats and military weapons?

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:37 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:'Secret treaty', and all variant capitalisations thereof, shall mean military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats.

OOC:
Since IA wrote that in to address concerns that secret treaty was not defined.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:'Secret treaty', and all variant capitalisations thereof, shall mean military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats.

OOC:
Since IA wrote that in to address concerns that secret treaty was not defined.

Ah, I see. :p :clap:

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 am

This will be submitted with the clause defining secret treaty removed, in somewhere around three days, should Pride and Prejudice fail to meet quorum in the next 1 day and 18 hours.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:11 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:This will be submitted with the clause defining secret treaty removed, in somewhere around three days, should Pride and Prejudice fail to meet quorum in the next 1 day and 18 hours.

OOC:
I protest. The clause should be included.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:16 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:This will be submitted with the clause defining secret treaty removed, in somewhere around three days, should Pride and Prejudice fail to meet quorum in the next 1 day and 18 hours.

OOC:
I protest. The clause should be included.

We concur. There must be a definition clause. Our support is conditional on that.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:06 pm

OOC: Keep the definition. Make Legislation Funny Again!
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:38 am

In a few minutes, probably, there will be a resolution at vote. Due to its being at vote, I will delay submission of this proposal. Also, given the addition of the explanatory notes in the second post, I see no real need to remove the last clause.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Elise Mortimer Wellesley, "We have caved to pressure and defined 'secret treaty'."

I think that rates 5.0 on the Kennite Treaty Elements scale(*).

(*) Where 10.0 requires a "think of the children" clause.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:53 am

Tzorsland wrote:I think that rates 5.0 on the Kennite Treaty Elements scale(*).

(*) Where 10.0 requires a "think of the children" clause.

It'll have to be published!

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 am

How is this not a "joke" proposal and illegal under the rules? A previous proposal was declared a joke simply because it dealt with IBS. Now this one defines a "secret treaty" as "military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats." I implore the powers at be to declare this illegal, unless that clause is removed by the author prior to submission.
For World Assembly business: Ambassador Pino Sporco, Val Trebbia, Nessuna

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:08 am

Nessuna-Arma wrote:How is this not a "joke" proposal and illegal under the rules? A previous proposal was declared a joke simply because it dealt with IBS. Now this one defines a "secret treaty" as "military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats." I implore the powers at be to declare this illegal, unless that clause is removed by the author prior to submission.

OOC:
I don't agree with the previous ruling, however, proposals are not joke proposals because they make jokes in them. Proposals are joke proposals when they are not meant to be actual WA laws. Proposals meant to be serious laws, even with jokes in them, are legal.

See GA#8 and GA#368 for examples.

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 am

OOC: Incorrect. This is a definition clause, not a throwaway clause. If you replace every occurrence of the concept of "secret treaty" with "weapons and felines" then the proposal in its entirety is nonsensical, and a joke. That said, thank you for replying, I was beginning to wonder if I needed to learn a secret handshake or something like that to get a reply here.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:56 am

Nessuna-Arma wrote:OOC: Incorrect. This is a definition clause, not a throwaway clause. If you replace every occurrence of the concept of "secret treaty" with "weapons and felines" then the proposal in its entirety is nonsensical, and a joke. That said, thank you for replying, I was beginning to wonder if I needed to learn a secret handshake or something like that to get a reply here.

OOC:
What other occurrences of "secret treaty" are there? The term is only used in the definition.
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Nessuna-Arma wrote:If you replace every occurrence of the concept of "secret treaty" with "weapons and felines" then the proposal in its entirety is nonsensical, and a joke.

Really?  Do it. Then explain to me what we should trust what you have to say when you clearly didn't read the proposal.

(Edited to increase size, then to add italics, then to correct spacing, then to add this message.)
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Nessuna-Arma wrote:If you replace every occurrence of the concept of "secret treaty" with "weapons and felines" then the proposal in its entirety is nonsensical, and a joke.

Really?  Do it. Then explain to me what we should trust what you have to say when you clearly didn't read the proposal.

(Edited to increase size, then to add italics, then to correct spacing, then to add this message.)

IA is correct. The term "secret treaty" is not used in the proposal. The term "secret treaties" is used in the title, but the definition explicitly excludes pluralizations.

IA, for what it's worth, I think you should remove the definition. I'm not a huge fan of jokes in proposals.

Martin Russell
Chief Ambassador, Auralian Mission to the World Assembly
Last edited by Auralia on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Nessuna-Arma
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nessuna-Arma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Challenge Accepted. For brevity's sake I'll use shorthand, "weapons and kittens," instead of "military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats." If that's not sufficient then just replace the phrase in your head when you come to it.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Ban on Weapons and Kittens
Category: Furtherment of Democracy | Strength: Mild

I know I'm new but thanks to encouragement from my region mates in Forest (especially Uan aa Boa and our delegate Ransium) and from Araraukar, I took a couple days to read all the rules before posting here. And so far, if I'm reading the category rules right, then if you're going to ban secret treaties, AKA weapons and kittens, you probably have the wrong category. It must be global disarmament. Unless, of course, this is a joke.

Whereas weapons and kittens have been observed to

See, because "undisclosed to the public" means "secret," so "treaties undisclosed to the public" means "weapons and kittens." Unless, of course, this is a joke.

Then we get to a bunch of preamble that reads like it was written by a hoity toity law student trying to sound impressive, and some clauses about what the committee does, and then:

[*]All treaties and international agreements with the force of law, entered into by member nations, shall be registered with the Judicial Committee of Compliance Commission, which shall promptly publish in full those treaties and international agreements.

Well, that doesn't say anything about secret treaties, so, that actually seems okay! But, not in a proposal that purportedly bans weapons and kittens. Unless, of course, this is a joke.

[*]Member nations may not invoke treaties or international agreements that have not been so registered in pursuance with the second section to this resolution. Provisions relating to mandates for secrecy or non-disclosure of the text or existence of past treaties and international agreements shall cease to have effect as if those provisions did not exist upon passage.

I'll grant you this one might be a little bit of a stretch, but I'm guessing that your intention here is to ensure that nations cannot invoke secret treaties. Excuse me, weapons and kittens. Unless, of course, this is a joke.

[*]'Secret treaty' and all variant capitalisations thereof, excluding pluralisations, shall mean military-grade weapons and feline animals of varying sizes with tabby coats.

Definition. Which renders the entire proposal a joke.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:when you clearly didn't read the proposal.

And that, too, is a joke. Of course I read the proposal. In its entirety. Guess what? It's a JOKE.

I can tell already, I'm going to like this place.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Elsie: I don't think you understand how definitions work. When the law does what the law says, that doesn't mean that it does anything beyond what the law says. Otherwise, it would be a very strange world, how these invisible clauses keep popping in out of nowhere. Perhaps that is what your world appears to you, Ambassador. If that is the case, please tell me exactly what you are smoking – Military Intelligence may want to test it for merits in interrogations.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives