NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Domestic Workers Act (Saved for the future)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

What should I do with this Draft

Dump it?
60%
Make it stronger
20%
Leave it for the future
20%
Make a new Draft
No votes

Total votes : 5

Raporia
Secretary

Founded: Feb 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Domestic Workers Act (Saved for the future)

Postby Raporia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 am

Just made a pole

The World Assembly,

Working as a community, in that means we try to not offend nor abuse someone else's power or work/skills;

Admired by the strength of the people who work in the Domestic Category (falling under the category are: Maids, Gardeners, Cooks, Drivers etc.);

Giving a lot of opportunities for unemployed people to work and invest from the money they earned and/or received;

Observing that Domestic Workers are people with a skill in a certain chore or work that can take care of the household's property, health, needs and/or minority;

However,

Further observing that some employers and the household's expect more of, and occasionally abuse the worker and her skill(s);

Forgetting the definition of the word 'Domestic' (noun: domestic worker) which is a person who is paid to help in some tasks;

Noticing that the employer can abuse the worker in the means of underpaying and both physical and verbal abuse without a law about the rights of both the employer and employee;

Wishing that every domestic workers are treated equally with rights and laws that can protect them from harm and abuse;

Hereby:

1) Strengthen the Definition of and Redefines:
a.(noun) Domestic Worker as a person who works for his/her employer and the employer's household;
b. Domestic as a kind of job that requires the skills of a certain task;
c. Employer as a person who has the power to tell or command the worker but has no right to harm, abuse or to hurt the worker himself/herself and others

2) Ensures that all workers has the Right to:
a. Prioritize their Health and Basic Needs (food, water, shelter, sleep);
b. Refuse the work or task given if it's either inappropriate and/or ridiculous;
c. Have freedom to have a vacation or break (for workers to buy their basic needs and/or to visit their families or relatives);
d. Leave or quit his/her job without hesitation from the employer (but is advisable to have a 2 weeks notice);
e. Keep documents (such as passports, Identification Cards, worker's permit, etc.);

3) Prohibits Employers and the Employer's Household to Violate the Rights of the Domestic Worker;

4) Also prohibits the Workers to violate the rights of the Employer(s) and the Employer's household;

4) Allows Domestic Workers to travel to their homeland (in some cases, abroad) and not caged inside the Working Place of the worker;

5) Suggests that workers abroad should feel the fairness and equality if the Employer violates 1 or more of the Domestic Worker's Rights;

6) Further suggests that all member nations should cooperate for workers in abroad to feel protected by the law if abused or harmed; and

7) Also suggests that Employers should have the responsibility to take care of his/her workers and know the rights of the Worker and the Employer himself/herself.

The World Assembly,

Working as a community, in that means we try to not offend nor abuse someone else's power or work/skills;

Admired by the strength of the people who work in the Domestic Category (falling under the category are: Maids, Gardeners, Cooks, Drivers etc.);

Giving a lot of opportunities for unemployed people to work and invest from the money they earned and/or received;

Observing that Domestic Workers are people with a skill in a certain chore or work that can take care of the household's property, health, needs and/or minority;

However,

Further observing that some employers and the household's expect more of, and occasionally abuse the worker and her skill/s;

Forgetting the definition of the word 'Domestic' (noun: domestic worker) which is a person who is paid to help with menial tasks such as cleaning;

Noticing that the employer can abuse the worker in the means of underpaying and both physical and verbal abuse without a law about the rights of both the employer and employee;

Wishing that every domestic workers are treated equally with rights and laws that can protect them from harm and abuse;

Hereby:

a.(noun) Domestic Worker as a person who works for his/her employer and the employer's household;
c. Employer as a person who has the power to tell or command the worker but has no right to harm, abuse or to hurt the worker himself/herself and others

2) Prohibits Employers and the Employer's Household to Violate the Rights of the Domestic Worker

3) Ensures that all workers has the Right to:
a. Prioritize their Health and Basic Needs (food, water, shelter, sleep);
b. Refuse the work or task given if it's either inappropriate and/or ridiculous;
c. Have freedom to have a vacation or break (for workers to buy their basic needs and/or to visit their families or relatives);
d. Leave or quit his/her job without hesitation from the employer (but is advisable to have a 2 weeks notice);
e. Keep documents (such as passports, Identification Cards, worker's permit, etc.);

4) Allows Domestic Workers to travel to their homeland (in some cases, abroad) and not caged inside the Working Place of the worker;

5) Suggests that workers abroad should feel the fairness and equality if the Employer violates 1 or more of the Domestic Worker's Rights;

6) Further suggests that all member nations should cooperate for workers in abroad to feel protected by the law if abused or harmed; and

7) Also suggests that Employers should have the responsibility to take care of his/her workers and know the rights of the Worker and the Employer himself/herself.

The World Assembly,
However,
Further observing that some employers and the household's expect more of, and occasionally abuse the worker and her skill/s;
Forgetting the definition of the word 'Domestic' (noun: domestic worker) which is a person who is paid to help with menial tasks such as cleaning;
Hereby:

2) Prohibits Employers and the Employer's Household to Violate the Rights of the Domestic Worker
a. Prioritize their Health and Basic Needs;
c. Be Treated Normal;
d. Have freedom to rest and to own property (has the right to keep his/her belongings);
e. Leave or quit his/her job without hesitation from the employer

Last edited by Raporia on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:41 am, edited 11 times in total.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 am

ok

What does this even mean? Vague

Again, vague. Pretty much anything could be included in here.

c. Be Treated Normal;
Beyond vague

d. Have freedom to rest and to own property (has the right to keep his/her belongings);
What the Hell? Domestic work ain't slavery/ And if you try to claim it is I'd like to point out THIS

So the common courtesy of "two weeks notice" no longer applies?

I am personally very sad for you in that you apparently believe all domestic work consists of abject slavery and abuse.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Raporia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Raporia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:

ok

What does this even mean? Vague

Again, vague. Pretty much anything could be included in here.

c. Be Treated Normal;
Beyond vague

What the Hell? Domestic work ain't slavery/ And if you try to claim it is I'd like to point out THIS

So the common courtesy of "two weeks notice" no longer applies?

I am personally very sad for you in that you apparently believe all domestic work consists of abject slavery and abuse.

Again, this is my first time to make a proposal and there had been some uncompleted research. I'll try to make everything more informative and specific.

Thank you for your criticism :) :) :)
Mea Ounike Englitshch Bringeths Ellth Da Boysths Inth Da Yarth Andeth Thereth Liketh "It's Exaggerated Shakespearean" Yeath Rith, ""It's Exaggerated Shakespearean". Ith Couleth Teacthethths Buth Ith Haveth Toth Charthesthethstheechsheth

(My unique English brings all the boys in the yard and they're like "It's over exaggerated Shakespearean", Yeah Right! "It's over exaggerated Shakespearean". I could teach you but I have to charge.)

-Red Ruby

Raporia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Raporia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:I am personally very sad for you in that you apparently believe all domestic work consists of abject slavery and abuse.

And btw, I have 2 caring maids who are not slaves! And I don't want to start a war about my Draft. Thank you :)
Mea Ounike Englitshch Bringeths Ellth Da Boysths Inth Da Yarth Andeth Thereth Liketh "It's Exaggerated Shakespearean" Yeath Rith, ""It's Exaggerated Shakespearean". Ith Couleth Teacthethths Buth Ith Haveth Toth Charthesthethstheechsheth

(My unique English brings all the boys in the yard and they're like "It's over exaggerated Shakespearean", Yeah Right! "It's over exaggerated Shakespearean". I could teach you but I have to charge.)

-Red Ruby

Raporia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Raporia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:53 am

Updated again

-Red Ruby

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 am

My office isn't quite sure what to make of this proposal. We certainly applaud the attempt to strengthen workers rights, but are unsure what exactly the estimated impact is. The proposal seems to heavily imply a correlation between domestic labour and forced labour, especially due to the notion that employees don't have the right to quit, travel or specific property and are discriminated against. Slavery is already illegal due to Ban on Slavery and Trafficking, while discrimination is covered in The Charter of Civil Rights, which means a nation that has any law regarding abuse and violence at all has to apply them to domestic workers automatically.

Ambassador Schreiner takes a sip from a glass of water and continues.

Further, we aren't quite certain about the meaning of 5) and 6) of this proposal. Is it suggested that a worker should feel treated fair and equal if he travels abroad and his employer violates the law, or that workers from abroad should feel that way? Or maybe something completely different? We would welcome clarification in that regard.
Last edited by Greifenburg on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Raporia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Raporia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:37 am

Greifenburg wrote:My office isn't quite sure what to make of this proposal. We certainly applaud the attempt to strengthen workers rights, but are unsure what exactly the estimated impact is. The proposal seems to heavily imply a correlation between domestic labour and forced labour, especially due to the notion that employees don't have the right to quit, travel or specific property and are discriminated against. Slavery is already illegal due to Ban on Slavery and Trafficking, while discrimination is covered in The Charter of Civil Rights, which means a nation that has any law regarding abuse and violence at all has to apply them to domestic workers automatically.

Ambassador Schreiner takes a sip from a glass of water and continues.

Further, we aren't quite certain about the meaning of 5) and 6) of this proposal. Is it suggested that a worker should feel treated fair and equal if he travels abroad and his employer violates the law, or that workers from abroad should feel that way? Or maybe something completely different? We would welcome clarification in that regard.

Let me refer to the real world but I won't make it part of the proposal,

Being part of a nation known to immigrate to work, there have been a lot of abuse. Being that the employer has more power than the worker since the bias ways of the law etc.

-Red Ruby

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:19 am

Raporia wrote:Let me refer to the real world but I won't make it part of the proposal,

Being part of a nation known to immigrate to work, there have been a lot of abuse. Being that the employer has more power than the worker since the bias ways of the law etc.

OOC:

While I appreciate the sentiment behind it, this isn't the real world and doesn't answer my questions, those being:
What does it different than the existing resolutions that target slavery, forced labour and discrimination, and what is meant with the points 5) and 6)
Robert Schreiner, Ambassador of the City and Republic of Greifenburg to the World Assembly

Raporia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Raporia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 am

Greifenburg wrote:OOC:

While I appreciate the sentiment behind it, this isn't the real world and doesn't answer my questions, those being:
What does it different than the existing resolutions that target slavery, forced labour and discrimination, and what is meant with the points 5) and 6)

First, this is specified for Domestic Workers which are doing Menial Task. Though abuse in the Domestic Category can link in all 3 existing resolution, it doesn't state the underpaying, Physical Abuse and prioritization

Second, both international laws (5 and 6) is also linked with discrimination but there is a point where the native employer has more power since the gov. sometimes focus more on the Natives.

I'll try to expand the views of 5/6 later.

-Red Ruby

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 am

Raporia wrote:First, this is specified for Domestic Workers which are doing Menial Task. Though abuse in the Domestic Category can link in all 3 existing resolution, it doesn't state the underpaying, Physical Abuse and prioritization

If with underpaying you mean paying an immigrated person less than a local, that is, like already stated, covered within the Civil Rights Charter (since that would be discrimination on grounds of nationality).
Physical Abuse because of nationality is, just like any other abuse, also covered if the nation has laws against abuse and violence, which then have to be applied on a nondiscriminitory basis. If they don't have laws regarding abuse and violence, than it is assumable that this kind of abuse is not just targeted at domestic workers, but widespread to pretty much anyone.

Raporia wrote:Second, both international laws (5 and 6) is also linked with discrimination but there is a point where the native employer has more power since the gov. sometimes focus more on the Natives.

I already guessed that they are linked to that, but you still haven't explained how or what exactly is meant with them. As for the focus, if the Government made laws that encourage or tolerate discrimination, or discriminate themself, then it means that said government are already in violation of the Civil Rights Charter. Another law doing the same thing won't change anything then.

Raporia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Raporia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Greifenburg wrote:
Raporia wrote:First, this is specified for Domestic Workers which are doing Menial Task. Though abuse in the Domestic Category can link in all 3 existing resolution, it doesn't state the underpaying, Physical Abuse and prioritization

If with underpaying you mean paying an immigrated person less than a local, that is, like already stated, covered within the Civil Rights Charter (since that would be discrimination on grounds of nationality).
Physical Abuse because of nationality is, just like any other abuse, also covered if the nation has laws against abuse and violence, which then have to be applied on a nondiscriminitory basis. If they don't have laws regarding abuse and violence, than it is assumable that this kind of abuse is not just targeted at domestic workers, but widespread to pretty much anyone.

Raporia wrote:Second, both international laws (5 and 6) is also linked with discrimination but there is a point where the native employer has more power since the gov. sometimes focus more on the Natives.

I already guessed that they are linked to that, but you still haven't explained how or what exactly is meant with them. As for the focus, if the Government made laws that encourage or tolerate discrimination, or discriminate themself, then it means that said government are already in violation of the Civil Rights Charter. Another law doing the same thing won't change anything then.

Should I drop the Proposal now or is there still hope?

-Red Ruby

Greifenburg
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greifenburg » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 am

Raporia wrote:Should I drop the Proposal now or is there still hope?

You could always try to strengthen workers rights in general. I'm pretty sure there is still a lot that can be done in that regard. My advice would be to make a list of what you think should be a definite right all workers have and then check in the active resolutions what is covered. If you afterwards have points on the list left, go for them.

It's a bit of work, but fortunately you don't have to read every single resolution and can be quite worthwhile.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:07 am

Greifenburg wrote:You could always try to strengthen workers rights in general. I'm pretty sure there is still a lot that can be done in that regard. My advice would be to make a list of what you think should be a definite right all workers have and then check in the active resolutions what is covered. If you afterwards have points on the list left, go for them.

One probably also may want to mention Freedom to Contract (or something similar to that name).

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Raporia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Raporia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 am

Greifenburg wrote:
Raporia wrote:Should I drop the Proposal now or is there still hope?

You could always try to strengthen workers rights in general. I'm pretty sure there is still a lot that can be done in that regard. My advice would be to make a list of what you think should be a definite right all workers have and then check in the active resolutions what is covered. If you afterwards have points on the list left, go for them.

It's a bit of work, but fortunately you don't have to read every single resolution and can be quite worthwhile.

Thanks. To the Passed Proposals I goooooooo.....

-Red Ruby

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly