NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Enabling The Disabled in Academia

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA
Envoy
 
Posts: 220
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Enabling The Disabled in Academia

Postby THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:43 pm

thanks to all for the support and looking forward to the vote!!! Lets do this not only for the disabled children of today, but for the sanctity and prosperity of the future!!! All children have a right to an education that offers the opportunity for a prosperous and equitable life. Stand for those who cant and stand strong!!! Again congrats to the delegates who all answered the call and believed in a bright and equitable future!

Feel free to review and comment on the proposal at hand!

The World Assembly,

Applauding its members' continued efforts on the promotion of human rights and social justice throughout the globe,

Concerned that the non accommodation and subsequent marginalization of disabled students could undermine global human rights efforts,

Concerned students with disabilities continue to encounter physical barriers to educational services, such as a lack of ramps and/or elevators in multi-level school buildings, inaccessible facilities, and/or inaccessible transportation to and from school.

Troubled that accommodations for students with disabilities are often made based on budgetary considerations rather than on an assessment of the actual needs of students with disabilities.

Concerned that students with disabilities continue to face negative attitudes and stereotypes in the education system.

Concerned by the lack of knowledge about and sensitivity to disability issues on the part of some educators, staff and students and how this can make it difficult for students with disabilities to access educational services equally.

DEFINES disabled, for the purposes of this resolution, as having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities,
DEFINES a disabled student, for the purposes of this resolution, as an individual who suffers from the above series of limitations and attends any academic setting where the disbursement of knowledge takes place in a class setting,

Noting the disenfranchisement of disabled students has the potential to cause extreme social and economic harm to member nations populations through the deterioration or degradation of social equity, for example: inhibiting the rights and socioeconomic mobility of citizens, hindering social stability by destroying or causing a decline in the image of a common national bond, and nullifying the possible economic progression by under utilizing the cultural, industrial, and scientific capital these citizens could contribute,

Hereby, subject to any limitations set by earlier resolutions that are still in effect, including the fact that the discrimination involving certain groups of students and other protected populations may already be covered separately by such legislation:

1. Instructs the Educational systems of all WA member nations to incorporate adequate disabled student training into their administrator and teacher training process;

2. Requires WA member nations to create necessary transportation, ramp and/ or elevator accessibility, and instructional requirements for disabled students attending academic settings and seek the proper assistance if necessary in making these accommodations;

3. Requires WA member nations to earnestly enforce measures designed to stop the overt and covert discrimination and non accommodation of disabled students within their domains;

4. Urges member nations to pass legislation promoting greater accountability in the transportation, education, and sustainment of disabled students within their own borders.
Last edited by Wrapper on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1921
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Fairburn: What's the point of criticism and debate if the text can't be modified anyway?
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Rightport
Envoy
 
Posts: 337
Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rightport » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Rightport has legislation that covers this. For the good of the International Community, it is likely the Government will support this.
"Let you light shine !"
THE GOVERNMENT OF RIGHTPORT
VISIT OUR FACTBOOK

MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS
Rightport

User avatar
Bakhton
Diplomat
 
Posts: 525
Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 pm

"We support and we urge our international allies to do likewise."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

User avatar
Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 471
Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Simply because it doesn't seem like this has had ANY debate whatsoever, and is passing because people want to feel good about themselves, I have a question.

If there is a child, of student age, who is blind and deaf, has no legs and only one arm, and in no way would be able to function properly in any kind of educational environment, what prevents them from being covered by this resolution and forcing the government to meet all of their needs at an almost ludicrous, some might say infinite, cost when clearly nothing good will come of it?

It just seems like people are approving this, and probably going to vote for this, without giving it any serious thought, and it could open up every single nation to bankruptcy and chaos within the year.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1921
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Covenstone wrote:Simply because it doesn't seem like this has had ANY debate whatsoever, and is passing because people want to feel good about themselves, I have a question.

If there is a child, of student age, who is blind and deaf, has no legs and only one arm, and in no way would be able to function properly in any kind of educational environment, what prevents them from being covered by this resolution and forcing the government to meet all of their needs at an almost ludicrous, some might say infinite, cost when clearly nothing good will come of it?

It just seems like people are approving this, and probably going to vote for this, without giving it any serious thought, and it could open up every single nation to bankruptcy and chaos within the year.

Fairburn: I'm hoping that this passes just to see your Delegation clamour for an insta-repeal.
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 13759
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:32 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: What's the point of criticism and debate if the text can't be modified anyway?

"There isn't. As such, we will be voting against."

What's the problem with lawyer jokes?
Lawyer's don't think they're funny, and no one else thinks they're jokes.

Third year law student, homebrewer, and cat worshiper

User avatar
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA
Envoy
 
Posts: 220
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Firstly, i truly value everyone's input and thank you for taking the time to review the resolution, and as the author surely you'll understand the defending of my work..

You're attempting to use a slippery slope argument, you're using the exception of some astronomical exception on the minute scale of the population and then claiming that by passing this resolution to broaden access to education to all disabled students, this will lead to complete and utter collapse which would not be the case. Your heart of your claim is inevitably that since a small minority of cases would require extensive care in allowing them to serve at their full academic potential, and supposedly collapse a state in doing so, then there should be no effort made.

This is the same claim that has been used time and time again in the past and the basis for why this resolution was formulated. You're automatically making the claim that because some may have disabilities to various degrees of severity, they cannot function. Just because someone may not have an arm or a leg, or a degree of mental capacity doesn't mean they should automatically be eschewed from academia and society. The premise of this is not to "feel good", but to provide a platform for empowerment of those who governments and societies claim are "too broken" to be enfranchised.

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 23207
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 pm

THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:You're attempting to use a slippery slope argument,

Not really. Most of them are complaining that you didn't post a DRAFT thread. Nothing slippery about that slope.

User avatar
Excidium Planetis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7476
Founded: May 01, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Excidium Planetis » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 pm

"No debate prior to submission... I must assume it has some kind of flaw that someone will notice during vote." Ambassador Blackbourne announces. "As such, Excidium Planetis will be voting against."
Ex-Ambassador (deceased): Evander Blackbourne
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 8, 7.5 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.


News: None. Good, right?

User avatar
Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 9977
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 pm

THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:DEFINES disabled, for the purposes of this resolution, as having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities

This definition is too narrow, and we believe it excludes many developmental disabilities. Therefore, we're opposed.

Should you attempt to rewrite this proposal, we strongly suggest that you at least skim real-world legislation for inspiration:

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title20/chapter33&edition=prelim
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Wallenburg
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19494
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:26 pm

"No draft, no support."
PROFESSIONAL CRITIC OF ALL THINGS GENSEC
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD

User avatar
Nohen
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 18
Founded: Jul 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nohen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Without a clear definition of "overt and covert discrimination" and what measures we are supposed to take in stopping them Nohen will not support.

User avatar
Venir
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: May 26, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Venir » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Although my opinion holds little weight, I would like to point out that there is one statement that I feel contradicts the heart of what this resolution wishes to do. Of course if what I wish to say has already been acknowledged in a past resolution then I ask that you forgive me as I have not been very politically active.
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:All children have a right to an education that offers the opportunity for a prosperous and equitable life.


This line states that All children deserve a right to education, yet the resolution only targets those children who are disabled. Are we meant to ignore those children who, although physically and mentally capable, happen to lack the transportation required to attend school. Are we supposed to ignore those who have prior commitments that take precedence over attaining an education. Said commitments could involve taking care of sick family members due to their inability to afford the possible medical bills.

I must also ask if we are to support those who do not wish to receive an education as there may be people like that, although I see it unlikely that they would pass up such an opportunity. It seems that this resolution could do with a revision, but for now I must decline against supporting it.


PS- I hope this didn't sound dumb as this is my first post on anything.

User avatar
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA
Envoy
 
Posts: 220
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Venir wrote:Although my opinion holds little weight, I would like to point out that there is one statement that I feel contradicts the heart of what this resolution wishes to do. Of course if what I wish to say has already been acknowledged in a past resolution then I ask that you forgive me as I have not been very politically active.
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:All children have a right to an education that offers the opportunity for a prosperous and equitable life.


This line states that All children deserve a right to education, yet the resolution only targets those children who are disabled. Are we meant to ignore those children who, although physically and mentally capable, happen to lack the transportation required to attend school. Are we supposed to ignore those who have prior commitments that take precedence over attaining an education. Said commitments could involve taking care of sick family members due to their inability to afford the possible medical bills.

I must also ask if we are to support those who do not wish to receive an education as there may be people like that, although I see it unlikely that they would pass up such an opportunity. It seems that this resolution could do with a revision, but for now I must decline against supporting it.

PS- I hope this didn't sound dumb as this is my first post on anything.


As the population you pointed out are children, we state that "all" meaning all children despite their socioeconomic condition should have access, this resolution is not exclusionary in nature and as stated later in the resolution is meant to serve with or in addition to current and following resolutions in obtaining the main target of making educational access available to students, via empowering a less enfranchised segment of the community. Your response in itself could serve as the basis for following resolutions in extending this opportunity with further proposals.

User avatar
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA
Envoy
 
Posts: 220
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:DEFINES disabled, for the purposes of this resolution, as having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities

This definition is too narrow, and we believe it excludes many developmental disabilities. Therefore, we're opposed.

Should you attempt to rewrite this proposal, we strongly suggest that you at least skim real-world legislation for inspiration:

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title20/chapter33&edition=prelim



Despite your calls for further broadening of the definitions, we find that using the source you provided, all of the following issues could be categorized and fall into the "physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities" definition which was utilized.

The term "child with a disability" means a child—
(i) with intellectual disabilities, hearing impairments (including deafness), speech or language impairments, visual impairments (including blindness), serious emotional disturbance (referred to in this chapter as "emotional disturbance"), orthopedic impairments, autism, traumatic brain injury, other health impairments, or specific learning disabilities; and
(ii) who, by reason thereof, needs special education and related services.

User avatar
Bananaistan
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 2083
Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"No debate prior to submission... I must assume it has some kind of flaw that someone will notice during vote." Ambassador Blackbourne announces. "As such, Excidium Planetis will be voting against."

"I believe the "flaw" is that there is nothing in this requiring nations to allow students with disabilities attend educational establishments. I say "flaw" as if this is a bad thing but it really is a good thing as it would be inappropriate to treat everyone the same in the name of equality when the principle of equality requires more of us than simply turfing everyone into the same classroom and hoping for the best regardless of what is the best interests of both those students with disabilities and those without. Surely everyone can see that it may not be appropriate for someone who has a condition which completely limits their movements, senses and activities to be accommodated in the same classes as everyone else. And therefore regarding the first clause, the ill-defined "disabled student training" should only apply to the necessary number of teachers to ensure adequate education for those with disabilities.

"The use of the term "disabled students" is also outdated and some may see it as inappropriate for such to be enshrined in international law. The current respectful term would be "students with disabilities".
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.

User avatar
Check-o-slow-vakki-uh
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 15
Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Check-o-slow-vakki-uh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:38 pm

We believe it would be best to create a draft for this proposal, and all future proposals, before submitting them in the future. While the education of disabled children is certainly a worthy issue, it is important to open such issues up for discussion before submitting a proposal, as there are most likely important details that the original writer may have missed.
John Hancock
Get it?

User avatar
Excidium Planetis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7476
Founded: May 01, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Excidium Planetis » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 am

THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:Despite your calls for further broadening of the definitions, we find that using the source you provided, all of the following issues could be categorized and fall into the "physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities" definition which was utilized.

The term "child with a disability" means a child—
(i) with intellectual disabilities, hearing impairments (including deafness), speech or language impairments, visual impairments (including blindness), serious emotional disturbance (referred to in this chapter as "emotional disturbance"), orthopedic impairments, autism, traumatic brain injury, other health impairments, or specific learning disabilities; and
(ii) who, by reason thereof, needs special education and related services.


"I have highlighted sections of the disability definition which are not included in your resolution's definition." Blackbourne explains."As an example, autism does not usually impair one's movement, senses, or range of activities. It simply impairs one's ability to socialize with other people."
Ex-Ambassador (deceased): Evander Blackbourne
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 8, 7.5 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.


News: None. Good, right?

User avatar
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA
Envoy
 
Posts: 220
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:30 am

Despite the arguments posed by the opposition forces, me being the author of this legislation, i have to address the three main concerns which seem to have taken center stage in this camp. Those arguments being that one being there was no draft, two that this inflicts a high economic cost on nations, and three that by enforcing inclusive, the resolution is supposedly inherently exclusive and damaging.

in addressing the first grievance, To argue that a resolution should be stricken down simply because it didn't have a draft is the epitome of pettiness and causes us to miss the grand impact that this resolution was built upon. This resolution was built do to the need for enfranchisement of those who were forced to take a back seat to educational and social affairs. To claim that they need to continue to be disenfranchised until future resolutions can be made undermines the success that has been made today and calls into question whether or not these leaders truly value their disabled citizenry. They would much rather lose this battle in totally and start back at zero rather than join the fight for empowerment. These people have waited far too long and now is the time, now is the moment to bring the quality of life up! formality is Absolutely NO excuse for continued disenfranchisement at the whim of political rhetoric!

Secondly, in addressing the economic impact, these leaders fail to understand that these people have already suffered the economic impact of previous negligence of their socioeconomic condition. Generations of these peoples have been thrown to the side and to rally behind the cost making accommodation a reality for them is egregious. Every time we tax our citizens to build roads, to strengthen our armies, to build schools, or expand to the stars there is a cost. There is also a cost of neglecting the citizens this resolution seeks to enfranchise, and these people have already paid far to high a price! To further note, the WA is an international organization built upon the premise of unifying nations against issues that afflict our respective nations and if we are truly the capable and able organization we make ourselves out to be, we are More than capable of assisting one another in this matter.

Lastly, in addressing the concern regarding the purported exclusiveness in this resolution, there is no such phenomenon. This resolution was constructed keenly with improving access to those who were denied access, due to economics, due to societal views, due to standards of academia. This resolution pushes us to improve those standards and provide an outlet for those suffering from afflictions to have a seat at shaping their own destinies. Specialization is a hotly talked about option, but specialization without a guiding basis is USELESS! This resolution was designed to provide a solid building block that address the needs of those being forgotten in academia, all the while opening new doors for future generations and as such should be supported!

Again, the time is now to stand! Whether we utilize reason to stand for empowerment or utilize misconstrued reason to stand for continued disenfranchisement, the time is now!
Last edited by THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 23207
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:38 am

THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:To argue that a resolution should be stricken down simply because it didn't have a draft is the epitome of pettiness

Nope. It's to give fellow WA members a chance to help you get rid of language that will cause this to fail, and perhaps to add stuff you missed. The GA is a collaborative body by design. You're blowing that off.

The rest of your argument can mostly be dismissed as rah-rah bumperstickers. All hype and no content makes Jack a dull boy.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8431
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:49 am

THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:Secondly, in addressing the economic impact, these leaders fail to understand that these people have already suffered the economic impact of previous negligence of their socioeconomic condition. Generations of these peoples have been thrown to the side and to rally behind the cost making accommodation a reality for them is egregious. Every time we tax our citizens to build roads, to strengthen our armies, to build schools, or expand to the stars there is a cost. There is also a cost of neglecting the citizens this resolution seeks to enfranchise, and these people have already paid far to high a price! To further note, the WA is an international organization built upon the premise of unifying nations against issues that afflict our respective nations and if we are truly the capable and able organization we make ourselves out to be, we are More than capable of assisting one another in this matter.

Mortimer Wellesley facepalms, and then, notes sarcastically, 'I am going to build a fifty trillion New Sterling road between Norwich and Wroxham. There is a cost! And there must be a road! It does not matter the price! Damn the fact that we can build the same road with just thousands of New Sterling, we are going to build a 100-lane quintuple carriageway to host five million cars an hour the 12 kilometres to the River Bure! We are capable of doing it! Let us waste the money!'
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 26 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate

User avatar
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA
Envoy
 
Posts: 220
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:05 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:Secondly, in addressing the economic impact, these leaders fail to understand that these people have already suffered the economic impact of previous negligence of their socioeconomic condition. Generations of these peoples have been thrown to the side and to rally behind the cost making accommodation a reality for them is egregious. Every time we tax our citizens to build roads, to strengthen our armies, to build schools, or expand to the stars there is a cost. There is also a cost of neglecting the citizens this resolution seeks to enfranchise, and these people have already paid far to high a price! To further note, the WA is an international organization built upon the premise of unifying nations against issues that afflict our respective nations and if we are truly the capable and able organization we make ourselves out to be, we are More than capable of assisting one another in this matter.

Mortimer Wellesley facepalms, and then, notes sarcastically, 'I am going to build a fifty trillion New Sterling road between Norwich and Wroxham. There is a cost! And there must be a road! it does not matter the price! Damn the fact that we can build the same road with just thousands of New Sterling, we are going to build a 100-lane quintuple carriageway to host five million cars an hour the 12 kilometres to the River Bure! We are capable of doing it! Let us waste the money!'



But yet again you continue to substantiate your argument with the economic hyperbole! Just as there is a cost for empowerment, there is a cost of neglect and for far too long over numerous generations countries and citizens who are dealing with these issues have fronted the capital costs and them some. If even we were to narrow the argument down through a purely economic lens, this is an investment in a segment of human capital that is in dire need and ready to contribute! You're economic hyperbole dilutes the fact and entirely neglects the reality that these people in the majority of cases never had a fair chance or the ability to spend "50 Trillion" on improving their lives, much less have a fair shot at a decent equitable education!
Last edited by THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Imperial Isle of Salkuo
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Jul 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Our Vote

Postby Imperial Isle of Salkuo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:11 am

There has been no agreement by the other nations via draft so therefore we will have to vote against.
I encourage other people to strike a similar proposal to this and then do a draft so a majority of the nations can agree on what shall we do.
We are the WORLD ASSEMBLY after all, we need to co-operate with each other.
============================================================================================================
TL;DR - No draft, no vote, had there been a draft there would have been a for.
============================================================================================================
If somebody wants to convince me to vote for or further convince me to vote against, I will be grateful.
Last edited by Imperial Isle of Salkuo on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8431
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:13 am

THE UNITED FEDERATION OF ALGORENIA wrote:But yet again you continue to substantiate your argument with the economic hyperbole! Just as there is a cost for empowerment, there is a cost of neglect and for far too long over numerous generations countries and citizens who are dealing with these issues have fronted the capital costs and them some. If even we were to narrow the argument down through a purely economic lens, this is an investment in a segment of human capital that is in dire need and ready to contribute! You're economic hyperbole dilutes and entirely neglects the fact that these people in the majority of cases never had a fair chance or the ability to spend "50 Trillion" on improving their lives, much less have a fair shot at a decent equitable education!

Elsie Mortimer Wellesley: Yet again? We haven't even appeared in this chamber since the start of this charade. However that is, it seems clear to me that you don't understand the idea that there exist limited resources. The comparative here is not between action and inaction, but rather action and utterly needless extravagance.

E MW: Also, section 2, 'A Promotion of Basic Education'. This 'fair shot' already exists, even if your publicists keep at denying reality, conjuring new illusions to enthral to the general public, and investing in reductive clichéd platitudes to stick on car bumpers. If all the proposal has to peddle is an extravagant nostrum labelled 'panacea' to solve a pretended problem, we need it not.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 26 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads