NATION

PASSWORD

Best Resolution of 2009! (Final)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Best Reolution of 2009 (final poll)

Poll ended at Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 am

#35: The Charter of Civil Rights
34%
#38: Convention Against Genocide
6%
#41: Access to Life-Saving Drugs
26%
#47: Law of the Sea
13%
#57: Refugee Protection
No votes
#58: Right to Privacy
No votes
#65: Biological Weapons Conference
6%
#67: Habeas Corpus
15%

Total votes : 47

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Best Resolution of 2009! (Final)

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:07 am

...And we finally come to the end of our journey: after four exciting rounds of voting, sifting through all the passed resolutions of the last year to determine which ones truly stood out -- plus some time off for good behavior -- here are your finalists, in all their resplendent glory:

For more information on these resolutions, including links to the food fights-- er, "floor debates" on them, see the WA Timeline.

Please vote for one resolution, using only one nation. We cannot screen or officially sanction members for puppetwanking or practicing other forms of vote-stacking in this poll...but I think we've already discovered over the years that the GA has rather stiff penalties for pissing them off. *insert sound effect of rogue ambassador crashing through window and shrieking terribly as she falls with a spectacular splash into the Vastiva Memorial Reflecting Pool*

This poll will stay open for ten days before it is closed forever! Do not squander this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rule on the very best resolutions of 2009!
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 am

#35: The Charter of Civil Rights

A tour-de-force, but it is by no means a perfect piece, as I've lately been finding out.. from attempting to quarantine disease-infected individuals to the nebulousness of 'economic discrimination'.

#38: Convention Against Genocide

Hey, who doesn't hate genocide? However from what I can see, it hasn't stopped genocide in the WA, as nations have just been employing banana republics to kill ethnic groups for them, so long as the republic isn't provided with 'aid, protection and refuge' -- its just handed currency instead.

#41: Access to Life-Saving Drugs

From my friend, and regional delegate.. I can't really say anything bad about it other than it costs the World Assembly quite a bit of money.

#47: Law of the Sea

Indeed, this resolution hurt the fishing industry in most of the neighboring nations in my region -- with the unusual, acidification of their territorial zones.. which must have been caused, by err.. some inexplicable act of the Tax-man, or some other evil and wicked deitny. *cough*

Nevertheless, the Unibotian economy has benefited greatly, as we've been acquiring the contracts left uncompleted by other local fisheries.

#57: Refugee Protection

Er.. we don't like refugees, they smell like fish.

#58: Right to Privacy

I think I've already stated my problems with this proposal, but nevertheless, I tip my hat in the general direction of the ambassador of Greenlandic People.

#65: Biological Weapons Conference

I'm already attempting to commend the author of this proposal, for the lives it has and will continue to save. So to avoid voting for political reasons (having the proposal heralded as the greatest proposal of 2009 would obviously be a nice clause to have in a commendation), I will look to other proposals to vote for.

#67: Habeas Corpus

Another tour-de-force from a great ambassador who will be surely missed (for however long his absence is.. if, even *gulp* indefinably).

To me its really down to Habeas Corpus and Access to Life-Saving Drugs, to which I've decided to vote for Access to Life-Saving Drugs, as its just numerically saved more lives and thus helped to improve the world more than Habeas Corpus -- however Habeas Corpus, has helped the protect, innocent people from being convicted and sentenced unfairly to capital punishment or Lucy-only-knows whatever.

That was indeed, a very tough decision.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 am

Whoops. How'd we forget about this one?

I'm forced to vote for Charter on Civil Rights out of practicality. It's not my favorite resolution, and I'm not happy with the way it's been interpreted, but I did help write it -- and voting for another nominee would spoil its chances against the horrid Life-Saving Drugs thingy.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Yelda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2004
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Yelda » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 pm

CoCR
The Yeldan People's Democratic Republic

Ideological Bulwark #40
Another HotRodian puppet

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:16 am

I vote, again, for the 'Biological Weapons Conference'.

And despite all of the votes for the CoCR, I would really like to see that resolution repealed and then -- if "necessary" -- replaced with a better-written & less ambiguous one... A replacment that would be very close in its wording to the former 'Discrimination Accord', perhaps...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Murray the Evil Skull
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Murray the Evil Skull » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:27 am

Well mortals I had to vote for the Law of the Sea.....I just love boaty resolutions.
Murray the Evil Skull for WA Leader!
In your heart, you know He's right!

Warning: the player posts in Character, and will respond in Character.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:28 am

Convention Against Genocide.

From an education point of view, it would have been the most important resolution on an important right: the right to life.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Bears Armed wrote:And despite all of the votes for the CoCR, I would really like to see that resolution repealed and then -- if "necessary" -- replaced with a better-written & less ambiguous one... A replacment that would be very close in its wording to the former 'Discrimination Accord', perhaps...

...which didn't really do much -- it didn't even ban discrimination in private hiring or education. Why do you think Fairness and Equality Act was introduced?

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Habeas Corpus. I just can't let that one go. I don't even care that this one isn't mine - I suffered enough for the UN version, I'm damn well going to make sure people know about the WA one too.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:And despite all of the votes for the CoCR, I would really like to see that resolution repealed and then -- if "necessary" -- replaced with a better-written & less ambiguous one... A replacment that would be very close in its wording to the former 'Discrimination Accord', perhaps...

...which didn't really do much -- it didn't even ban discrimination in private hiring or education. Why do you think Fairness and Equality Act was introduced?

Oops! It was actually the 'Fairness and Equality Act' that I had in mind, I just attributed the wrong title to it...

:blush:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:35 am

Bears Armed wrote:

Oops! It was actually the 'Fairness and Equality Act' that I had in mind, I just attributed the wrong title to it...

The Fairness and Equality act was far more ambiguous than the CoCR, the CoCR was written with the tF&Ea in object, and it intended to rectify the ambiguities of previous discrimination resolutions. If you were saying the effects of the CoCR were too radical I think I could understand it though.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:21 am

Urgench wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:

The Fairness and Equality act was far more ambiguous than the CoCR, the CoCR was written with the tF&Ea in object, and it intended to rectify the ambiguities of previous discrimination resolutions. If you were saying the effects of the CoCR were too radical I think I could understand it though.

So, explain again how the CoCR doesn't ban 'hereditary' forms of government... and even hereditary ownership of property: Given the list of potential reasonsfor discrimination that you dismiss as "arbitrary and divisive", logically 'family' should also be within the class of the "any other" such reasons that you then also mention...

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Erm I forgot to check this, so since it looks like the CoCR won, I have to thank all those who voted for it, and more importantly thank Kenny the evil mastermind behind it, and my personal hero. ;) YOU DA MAN KENNY! YOU DA MAN! :p
Last edited by Urgench on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Urgench wrote:Erm I forgot to check this, so since it looks like the CoCR won, I have to thank all those who voted for it, and more importantly thank Kenny the evil mastermind behind it, and my personal hero. ;) YOU DA MAN KENNY! YOU DA MAN! :p

Well deserved, Urgench! Hooray to you! :bow:

And for me to have been second to the great, great Charter of Civil Rights, is a great, great honor ;) Not bad for a freshman year :lol:
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Quadrimmina
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Quadrimmina » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm

The Republic of Quadrimmina congratulates the delegation and government of Urgench for their work in the area of civil rights and in passing an amazing resolution. Well done!
Sincerely,
Alexandra Kerrigan, Ambassador to the World Assembly from the Republic of Quadrimmina.
National Profile | Ambassadorial Profile | Quadrimmina Gazette-Post | Protect, Free, Restore: UDL

Authored:
GA#111 (Medical Research Ethics Act)
SC#28 (Commend Sionis Prioratus)
GA#197 (Banning Extrajudicial Transfer)

Co-authored:
GA#110 (Identity Theft Prevention Act)
GA#171 (Freedom in Medical Research)
GA#196 (Freedom of Information Act)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly