NATION

PASSWORD

GA Topics that Need to be Adressed by the WA

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

GA Topics that Need to be Adressed by the WA

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi everyone,

So, since every time I think of a proposal topic on my own, it seems to get bashed by certain WA members, I was wondering, what are some topics that you think still need to be adressed by the WA? I have a big train ride ahead of me tomorrow and I have nothing better to do so I might as well write a proposal.

--Berg
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:18 pm

At some yet-to-be-specified time I'll be bringing back my attempt at a Drug Trafficking Act, so avoid that and you won't incur my wrath :P
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 pm

A World Assembly Astrological Center... so we can better prognosticate the moods of the voting population!

Water Fluoridation Act... some Ambassadors have got really bad teeth!
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Animal Introduction (introducing animals into non-native places)

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Serrland wrote:Animal Introduction (introducing animals into non-native places)

To be followed, of course, by Animal Exclusion (banning non-native animals from new places).
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:03 am

What about a strategy for the eradication of contagious diseases? This might be quite had to tackle because the smallpox resolution of the UN days were before the current proposal rules.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:05 am

I'd suggest checking out the list of historical resolutions and comparing that to the list of currently passed resolutions. Certainly, you cannot blatantly mimic a historical resolution without the okay from the original author, but there are some good ideas there that may be worth bringing back. And since some of those ideas were poorly executed the first time around, an altered and improved resolution would be very beneficial, in my eyes.

I'm not sure what topics interest you, but that would be my recommendation, if you are in search of a good topic on which to write a proposal.

Best wishes,
Ambassador Lizzy Hall
Leader of the Doctoral Monkey Feet of Mousebumples
WA Delegate for Monkey Island
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:54 am

As I've suggested multiple times before, we need a Freedom of Religion resolution that not only passes the no-banning-ideologies smell-test, but also the recent plague that has been apparently killing proposals for imagined reasons. (But peculiar mod behavior of late is best reserved for another topic.)
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:As I've suggested multiple times before, we need a Freedom of Religion resolution that not only passes the no-banning-ideologies smell-test, but also the recent plague that has been apparently killing proposals for imagined reasons. (But peculiar mod behavior of late is best reserved for another topic.)

I've been thinking of a Freedom of Religion lately too, especially after I've learned of the existence of devoutly-atheist nations which do not tolerate any sort of spirituality. It just seems wrong to me, to promote science, and in fact enforce it into schools, and then do nothing to protect the right to spirituality... I mean, I had no idea that the World Assembly was one big technocratic atheist state.

*Waits for GR to leap out of a closet at him*

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 am

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:*Waits for GR to leap out of a closet at him*

I never miss my cue! But, hey, minor correction: Glen-Rhodes has the freedom of religion. The government just doesn't do anything special for religious persons/institutions.

I think that WA-mandated freedom of religion shouldn't be too difficult. Theocracies aren't founded on the denial of freedom of religion, just as authoritarian states aren't founded on the denial of freedom of expression. Those denials are characteristics, not inherent or essential pillars. But I'm not a mod, so...

Orlkjestad
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orlkjestad » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 am

Alternate Day Driving. That is all.
The Reformed Republican Union Of Orlkjestad
Comrade-President Leon Palantine
Vice President Arcturo Tarentum
Secretary Of Foreign Affaires Marco Valentia
Storefronts: They're all under construction, please go away
Alliances: Forever alone
Other Threads: The Severan Faith
Alert Levels
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Terrorism Alert Levels: [Low] Guarded Elevated High Severe

"Although we see the world through different eyes, we share the same idea of paradise." -The Pet Shop Boys in Se A Vida E

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 am

I was actually thinking about it, and maybe a proposal allowing nations to arrest foreigners for breaking local laws came to mind. What do you think about this?
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:48 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:I was actually thinking about it, and maybe a proposal allowing nations to arrest foreigners for breaking local laws came to mind. What do you think about this?

A right to arrest might clarify the issue however the reality already in our Nation is if you visit and break a law be prepared to face the consequences.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:56 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:I was actually thinking about it, and maybe a proposal allowing nations to arrest foreigners for breaking local laws came to mind. What do you think about this?

Presumably nations already have this right.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:06 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:

Presumably nations already have this right.

Hey, I don't want my Unibotians convicted under your stringent drug laws!!
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Urgench
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 am

Ban animal cruelty, and a protection of endangered species. A WA trading standards regulation, international banking regulations, .... I could go on.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:23 am

Urgench wrote:Ban animal cruelty, and a protection of endangered species. A WA trading standards regulation, international banking regulations, .... I could go on.

Done, I'm afraid.

However there are a lot of environmental problems that haven't been covered, I mean, there is nothing stopping me from dumping loads of radiological sludge into another person's homeland, unless it is either defined as a biological weapon, threatens the existence of an endangered species or that homeland is in Outer Space.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:56 am

Unibotian WA Mission wrote:
Urgench wrote:Ban animal cruelty, and a protection of endangered species. A WA trading standards regulation, international banking regulations, .... I could go on.

Done, I'm afraid.

However there are a lot of environmental problems that haven't been covered, I mean, there is nothing stopping me from dumping loads of radiological sludge into another person's homeland, unless it is either defined as a biological weapon, threatens the existence of an endangered species or that homeland is in Outer Space.

OOC: Well, there's NAPA... :p
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 pm

Bears Armed wrote:

Done, I'm afraid.

OOC: Well, there's NAPA... :p

OOC: Funny enough, the WA responds and commits humanitarian aid to such a situation, but doesn't have legislation outlawing the source of such a problem. Sooo.. I could just keep dumping, with the WA cleaning up my mess for me and the attacked nation. Everyone wins! ;)

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Done, I'm afraid.

Not done, in my opinion.
- Mongkha, Khan of Kashgar, Ambassador in Plenipotentiary to the World Assembly for the Federated Sublime Khanate of Urgench -

Exchange Embassies with the FSKU here - http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:22 pm

Ok, I'll try to do a proposal on hazourdous waste management and disposal on my ride today and I'll hopefully have it up by tomorrow. Feel free to keep commenthing though because I may still use this is my proposal goes to pot.

Urgench
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Urgench » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Ok, I'll try to do a proposal on hazourdous waste management and disposal on my ride today and I'll hopefully have it up by tomorrow. Feel free to keep commenthing though because I may still use this is my proposal goes to pot.

OOC. To be honest you've had a lot of criticism of your proposals not because of the issues they deal with but because of the approach you've taken to them. There remains a huge variety of issues the WA could deal with, they just need to be dealt with reasonably intelligently is all.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Enn wrote:

To be followed, of course, by Animal Exclusion (banning non-native animals from new places).

Hm. I like.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Freeoplis
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Freeoplis » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Hi everyone,

So, since every time I think of a proposal topic on my own, it seems to get bashed by certain WA members, I was wondering, what are some topics that you think still need to be adressed by the WA? I have a big train ride ahead of me tomorrow and I have nothing better to do so I might as well write a proposal.

--Berg

In our experience proposals that have been criticized within debate have gone on to secure 30 or 40 recommendations after submission, let not debate discourage potentially successful resolutions.
The Republic of Freeoplis
Region of Absolution

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Enn wrote:

But if we did that wouldn't that set where they tape that Security Council show be a barren wasteland?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly