NATION

PASSWORD

GA Topics that Need to be Adressed by the WA

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:15 pm

A mean old man wrote:
Enn wrote:
Serrland wrote:Animal Introduction (introducing animals into non-native places)

To be followed, of course, by Animal Exclusion (banning non-native animals from new places).

Hm. I like.

Agreed, we don't want any weird looking frogs ruining our perfect ecosystem!

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:
A mean old man wrote:
Enn wrote:

To be followed, of course, by Animal Exclusion (banning non-native animals from new places).

Hm. I like.

*Sends a shipment of weird looking frogs to Unibotian WASC Mission*

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
A mean old man wrote:
Enn wrote:

Hm. I like.

*Eyes Mr. Flibble with a cold glare of suspicion*

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:27 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
A mean old man wrote:
Enn wrote:

Hm. I like.

Well fine, I won't sign you up for the Frog Leg of the Month Club. >:(

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:
A mean old man wrote:
Enn wrote:

Hm. I like.

Well fine, I won't sign you up for the Frog Leg of the Month Club. >:(

*instantly turns happier*

Oh you didn't say anything about eating them... :hug:

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Flibbleites wrote:
Enn wrote:

But if we did that wouldn't that set where they tape that Security Council show be a barren wasteland?

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

... your point?

Stephanie Fulton,
WA Ambassador for Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:Ok, I'll try to do a proposal on hazourdous waste management and disposal on my ride today and I'll hopefully have it up by tomorrow. Feel free to keep commenthing though because I may still use this is my proposal goes to pot.

I already have a topic open on it.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:I was actually thinking about it, and maybe a proposal allowing nations to arrest foreigners for breaking local laws came to mind. What do you think about this?

Presumably nations already have this right.

Why not set it in stone...?
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:I was actually thinking about it, and maybe a proposal allowing nations to arrest foreigners for breaking local laws came to mind. What do you think about this?

Because it's unnecessary. Unless a GA resolution specifically acts on a particular area, then member-nations are able to do whatever they like in that area. This is such an area.

Resolutions shouldn't just be written because they can. They should be written for particular reasons, because the area in question has some justification for GA intervention.
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:

People also eat, have jobs, and live in houses or apartments most of the time. It does not follow that we need a WA resolution which allows them to eat, have jobs, and live in houses or apartments most of the time.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:21 am

Bergnovinaia wrote:

Considering the existance of the "repeal" even writing a resolution wouldn't set it in stone. Besides, I haven't seen anyone trying to write a resolution that bans nations from arresting law breaking foreigners, have you?

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I hope this isn't grave digging...

Anyways, any new ideas, anyone?
I am pursuing my undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University in Psychology and Spanish. My goal in life is to be a marriage and family counselor. If you have questions about me or my life, just ask!

My girlfriend and I blog about Christian & general marriage, relationship, and dating advice!

NS member since 2009. WA Resolution Author (mostly all repealed), NS sports fanatic.

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:02 pm

Bergnovinaia wrote:I hope this isn't grave digging...

Make them post a draft here before submitting it for vote!

Force them to read existing resolutions before drafting a new one!

Force them to read the resolution up for vote before they can cast a vote of their own!!

Damn, all my ideas are meta-gaming -.-
"An it harm none, do what ye will"
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis
Click here for a list of existing resolutions!

Bergnovinaia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bergnovinaia » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Eireann Fae WA Mission wrote:
Bergnovinaia wrote:I hope this isn't grave digging...

Make them post a draft here before submitting it for vote!

Force them to read existing resolutions before drafting a new one!

Force them to read the resolution up for vote before they can cast a vote of their own!!

Damn, all my ideas are meta-gaming -.-

Hahaa.... dang. Those were good ideas too! ;)

Darenjo
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darenjo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:13 pm

Maybe a short, to-the-point resolution that defines 'nuclear weapon'?
Dr. Park Si-Jung, Ambassador to the World Assembly for The People's Democracy of Darenjo

Proud Member of Eastern Islands of Dharma!

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Darenjo wrote:Maybe a short, to-the-point resolution that defines 'nuclear weapon'?

Why didn't you throw that in #119? :p
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -C. S. Lewis

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:08 am

Darenjo wrote:Maybe a short, to-the-point resolution that defines 'nuclear weapon'?

A definition of lots of things. As per the current resolution, defining medical symbols. Defining what war actually is. I don't know, something like that.

Also, I think a proposal detailing the rights of people convicted of crimes in other countries, and how much the home nation should be allowed to involve themselves? Maybe with a tangent on extradition. But I'm not sure.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Zoerb
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zoerb » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:19 am

Johz wrote:

A definition of lots of things. As per the current resolution, defining medical symbols. Defining what war actually is. I don't know, something like that.

I'm pretty sure that a resolution has to be more than a definition. It has to actually mandate something. So if you wanted to define "stuff" then you also have to legislate some laws about "stuff". /Obviously not a mod though
Proud delegate of Alliance of Awesomeness
"War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can" -Winston Churchill
"My god, it finally happened, Taiwan is invading China!" - Amaniachelmetjohnpi about LWU declaring war on 10000 Islands

Eireann Fae WA Mission
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae WA Mission » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Zoerb wrote:
Johz wrote:

I'm pretty sure that a resolution has to be more than a definition. It has to actually mandate something. So if you wanted to define "stuff" then you also have to legislate some laws about "stuff". /Obviously not a mod though

MANDATES that all Member Nations use the legal definitions laid out herein,

:)

Cinistra
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinistra » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:59 pm

Why not repeal all the existing ones, and start a new ;) ?
"Send forth all legions! Do not stop the attack until the city is taken! Slay them all!"
>Can I invade other people's regions?

Yes. The practice of "region crashing," where a group of nations all move to a region with the aim of seizing the WA Delegate position, is part of the game. Certain groups within NationStates are particularly adroit at this, and can attack very quickly.
>Once I've taken over a region, can I eject everyone else?

You can try. Invader Delegates tend to have very little Regional Influence, which makes ejecting long-time residents difficult. But Delegates can be as kind, generous, evil, or despotic as they wish. It's up to regional residents to elect good Delegates.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Johz wrote:

As the mods have already ruled, definitions only apply to the resolutions they appear in. So no, that would not work. Besides, trying to "amend-by-definition" is already illegal.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Cinistra wrote:Why not repeal all the existing ones, and start a new ;) ?

Just who do you think you are, Max? :p

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Extra-planetary colonization is a pet idea of mine that I wouldn't mind seeing addressed, though it's been suggested that regular ol' colonization and rights disputes would be more appropriate. I may agree on that point, but I object on the basis of it not sounding as awesome.
Last edited by Intellect and the Arts on Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:06 am

Intellect and the Arts wrote:Extra-planetary colonization is a pet idea of mine that I wouldn't mind seeing addressed, though it's been suggested that regular ol' colonization and rights disputes would be more appropriate. I may agree on that point, but I object on the basis of it not sounding as awesome.

Hhmm, I had a similar idea in regards to extra-planetary colonization, but I'm curious as to what direction you would take on this issue.

Intellect and the Arts
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intellect and the Arts » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:24 am

The problem there is I'm not entirely sure exactly how it is I'd prefer the issue handled. Obviously, first come first serve is the common sense solution to everything as it simply makes more sense from a logical perspective, though squatters' rights ought to be thrown in there in the case of a group of colonists desperate for a home for whatever reason managing to live on someone's moon for a while before they notice and take umbrage to the whole idea, but we still have the issue of, well, someone coming halfway across the galaxy just to be the kind of dicks that colonize your bloody moon without so much as a by your leave preceded by a minor bout of "what's this?" theatre. Of course, I'm differentiating in that latter instance between intentional and accidental colonization of someone else's backside, with one being a thoroughly forcible phallic intrusion and the other a genuine and pity-inducing inability to find the proper hole, but I think I'm taking this metaphor a bit too seriously and more than a little off the standard branch of sideways glances, so let's get back to my point.

The point is this: I'm not sure exactly what to do in relation to this rather realistic issue, considering the whole of NationStates is a veritable mash-up of every drug-induced Python fantasy, filmed or otherwise, with a few "DO IT REALZ, YO!" gigglemonkies, half a furry convention, and 1/12 of the English-speaking science fiction community thrown in for flavor, but it damn well makes sense that we ought to do SOMEthing before those of us wanting to partake in actual legislation read one more page of fuzzy anecdote trying desperately to pass itself off as an argument and collectively introduce our foreheads to the carpet in a welcome and overdue Lambic-induced stupor. To that end, I would be more than happy to participate in a collective effort to toss some ideas at a wall, grab the ones that stick or at least create a satisfying noise before falling off, and strangle them into an appropriately formatted block of cheese and wank that can effectively pass the sheep herding competition majority floor vote while still allowing those of us involved in the process to feel moderately good about ourselves and our ability to tackle issues that RL governments love to pretend will never come under their purview.

That and I should probably warn you that I've been marathoning Zero Punctuation videos for the past hour or so, so if I sound weirdly unlike my usual self, just keep in mind that I am still the Great and Powerful Oz and never you mind that the man behind the curtain has a British-Australian accent this morning.
Last edited by Intellect and the Arts on Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ambassadors: Arik S. Drake, and Alice M. Drake, twins

UNOG Member
Intellect and Art (NatSovOrg Member)
The Illustrious Renae
Ex-Parrot
Ennill
NERVUN wrote:By my powers combined, I am CAPTAIN MODERATION!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly