NATION

PASSWORD

DRAFT: Prosecution of War Crimes

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: DRAFT: Prosecution of War Crimes

Postby Absolvability » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 pm

SS4 wrote:
New Rockport wrote:First, If an Individual has been found guilty, wouldn't prosecuting said individual again be a violation of the double jeopardy clause?

Possibly. The goal of having your nation handle the trial is to allow you to punish the individual yourself. I could just say that the nation is allowed to set a sentence for the war criminal, altough I'm not sure if that is what you want.

Well, really, I believe that this is not only possible but made fact by the wording of the proposal. It's a simple enough fix however. If you're going to keep the WAWCT but have nations prosecute, you need to insert something that labels the WAWCT proceedings as expressly preliminary. Which is not uncommon in law, I believe, to have something examined for validity before the actual process is undergone. A bit of a screening process, really.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Quote from World Assembly Resolution #9:
6. Member nations shall take effective action to prevent acts of torture within their jurisdiction.

7. Member nations may not invoke extraordinary circumstances, such as armed conflict, state of emergency or civil unrest, to justify acts of torture.

8. An order to commit torture is a manifestly illegal order, and must be refused; such orders may be disobeyed without fear of legal penalty. Coercion may be considered as a mitigating circumstance in the prosecution of acts of torture committed by subordinates following orders.

9. The training of military and law enforcement personnel, those responsible for those held in detention, and any other persons having responsibility for persons facing interrogation, criminal investigation or detention shall include instruction on the obligation not to perform torture.

Doesn't this solve the problem? According to Article 6, 7 & 8, member nations of the WA shall prevent the acts of torture in their jurisdiction, may not use excuses of armed conflict to allow acts of torture and torture orders should be disobeyed. Article 9 clearly states the punishments, so what's there debate about?
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:52 am

Morlago wrote:Quote from World Assembly Resolution #9:
6. Member nations shall take effective action to prevent acts of torture within their jurisdiction.

7. Member nations may not invoke extraordinary circumstances, such as armed conflict, state of emergency or civil unrest, to justify acts of torture.

8. An order to commit torture is a manifestly illegal order, and must be refused; such orders may be disobeyed without fear of legal penalty. Coercion may be considered as a mitigating circumstance in the prosecution of acts of torture committed by subordinates following orders.

9. The training of military and law enforcement personnel, those responsible for those held in detention, and any other persons having responsibility for persons facing interrogation, criminal investigation or detention shall include instruction on the obligation not to perform torture.

Doesn't this solve the problem? According to Article 6, 7 & 8, member nations of the WA shall prevent the acts of torture in their jurisdiction, may not use excuses of armed conflict to allow acts of torture and torture orders should be disobeyed. Article 9 clearly states the punishments, so what's there debate about?

OOC: Prosecuting people from non-member nations who've used torture during wartime -- possibly against people from one or more WA member-nations -- and who have now fallen into the hands of a member-nation's authorities?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:49 am

OOC: I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where the two of you are going with this. I understand that the Torture document has been referenced to provide a course of action in regard to a specific problem with the current proposal... but I'm not sure how we arrive here:

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Prosecuting people from non-member nations who've used torture during wartime -- possibly against people from one or more WA member-nations -- and who have now fallen into the hands of a member-nation's authorities?

Torture may very well be a warcrime, but it isn't what is outlined in the current proposal. If we are to overlook what I see to be an accidental and small mistake... and kindly replace the word 'torture' with 'warcrimes' I still find the hypothetical to be neither here nor there. While it might merit some discussion, provisions for such instances would make this proposal illegal. For one thing, torture may not be illegal in a non-member nation. For another, no international extradition policy has been established. This is one of those possible loopholes that we have no choice but to let fall through the cracks.
Antonius Veloci

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:39 am

Absolvability wrote:OOC: I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where the two of you are going with this. I understand that the Torture document has been referenced to provide a course of action in regard to a specific problem with the current proposal... but I'm not sure how we arrive here:

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: Prosecuting people from non-member nations who've used torture during wartime -- possibly against people from one or more WA member-nations -- and who have now fallen into the hands of a member-nation's authorities?

Torture may very well be a warcrime, but it isn't what is outlined in the current proposal. If we are to overlook what I see to be an accidental and small mistake... and kindly replace the word 'torture' with 'warcrimes' I still find the hypothetical to be neither here nor there. While it might merit some discussion, provisions for such instances would make this proposal illegal. For one thing, torture may not be illegal in a non-member nation. For another, no international extradition policy has been established.

OOC: But as the existing resolution against torture itself (like all other WA resolutions) clearly isn't binding on the governments of non-member nations it is possible that people from those lands might use torture during warfare -- possibly in wars against WA member-nations -- and so including torture amongst the list of wartime offences that could be tried under this proposal would mean that if they're captured by a WA nation's forces then this proposal would provide a suitable legal basis for dealing with them.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Bears Armed wrote:OOC: But as the existing resolution against torture itself (like all other WA resolutions) clearly isn't binding on the governments of non-member nations it is possible that people from those lands might use torture during warfare -- possibly in wars against WA member-nations -- and so including torture amongst the list of wartime offences that could be tried under this proposal would mean that if they're captured by a WA nation's forces then this proposal would provide a suitable legal basis for dealing with them.

proposal wrote:1. DEFINES "war crimes" as any activity conducted during wartime that:
a) causes severe emotional or physical pain to a civilian poulation AND
b) serves no legitiminate military purpose

OOC: Perhaps there needs to be some clarity on the matter. I'll certainly leave that to the author... and can only lend my opinion on how this might be interpretted. I've seen such possible conflicts before and recognize in-context definitions as being the solution. While torture is undoubtedly a war-crime, what is to be tried by this established 'committee' is nothing more than war-crimes as it is defined by this proposal. I admit this is a bit narrow, but I think it is necessary not only to not be seen as an amendment to the Torture resolution. I do not see it as 'sneaking around the rules,' either, because it seems to me the Torture resolution does much more than define it as a war-crime (if it expressly does so at all?) it prohibits the use of torture by domestic forces as well. I find these articles to be different, and recognize the in-proposal definition to be the distinction.
Antonius Veloci

SilentScope4
Attaché

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby SilentScope4 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Torture is not the only war crime out there, which is why I need to add in my resolution that all war crimes are "manifestly illegal orders".

Absolovity, I have recently changed the definition after contacting some FT nations and clearing up some of the confusion. This is the current definition:
DEFINING "war crimes" as any activity conducted during wartime that causes either
a) systematic, deliberate harm to civilian populations OR
b) unreasonable, accidental harm to civilian populations

I am going to need to change the definition to say, "any activity conducted during wartime that serves no practical military purpose".

St. Edmund: The WAWCT only has the power to find guilty people who belong to a WA memberstate. So, people from non-WA nations are free to conduct whatever action they please.
This is the place to move your nation from one region to another. A fleet of military-grade choppers will fly in and physically transport SilentScope4 to a better location.

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

SilentScope4 wrote:
First, If an Individual has been found guilty, wouldn't prosecuting said individual again be a violation of the double jeopardy clause?

Possibly. The goal of having your nation handle the trial is to allow you to punish the individual yourself. I could just say that the nation is allowed to set a sentence for the war criminal, altough I'm not sure if that is what you want.

OK, so the finding by the WAWCT would be like an indictment and the defendant would then stand trial in a domestic court, right?

SilentScope4 wrote:
Second, does "that nations government" refer to the nation of which the war criminal is a national, the nation in whose military the war criminal was serving, or both?

I intended it to be the nation in whose military the war criminal was serving.

In both cases, I'll edit the draft to make it clearer.

Thanks.
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Morlago
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morlago » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:29 am

Where is the proposal anyway?
Angelo Gervoski
Minister of WA Affairs of
The United Islands of Morlago
Yë Morre Waidamün i Mórlago

DEFCON: 1 2 (Low) 3 4 5 6

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33
Graph
Center-left social moderate.
Left: 2.2, Libertarian: 0.75
Foreign Policy: -6.11 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -6.31 (Cultural liberal)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:31 am

SilentScope4 wrote:St. Edmund: The WAWCT only has the power to find guilty people who belong to a WA memberstate. So, people from non-WA nations are free to conduct whatever action they please.
OOC: Why? The fact that WA resolutions aren't binding on the governments of non-member nations, or within those nations, certainly doesn't make it illegal for resolutions to give member nations (or WA agencies) the right to prosecute offenders from non-member nations if they can catch them...

SilentScope4
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby SilentScope4 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 am

OOC: Why? The fact that WA resolutions aren't binding on the governments of non-member nations, or within those nations, certainly doesn't make it illegal for resolutions to give member nations (or WA agencies) the right to prosecute offenders from non-member nations if they can catch them...

OOC: They could do so themselves, without the WAWCT telling them to do so. The only thing I could see such text being useful is if a memberstate is allied with a non-memberstate, and said non-memberstate does war crimes. I guess in that case, there does need to be text mandating them to prosecute. But I'm not sure. Prehaps there is a legit reason to ally with non-memberstates that would be undermined if such a text was added?

New draft:
<preamble to be added in later>

DEFINING "war crimes" as any activity conducted during wartime that serves no practical military purpose AND causes either

1. PROHIBITS all military forces from engaging in war crimes.

2. ESTABLISHES the World Assembly War Crimes Tribunal and tasks it with the goal of investigating all alleged violations of Clause 1 by memberstates, and indiciting all violators.

3. DECLARES that the WAWCT must follow these guidelines when investigating war crimes:
a) Both the plantiff(s) and the defendant(s) are allowed to have legal advisers, including lawyers and experts in military affairs.
b) The WAWCT may accept advice and/or testimony from relevant non-governmental organizations.
c) The defendant(s) and the plantiff(s) have the right to bear witness in court.
d) Any order to commit a war crime is to be considered a "manifestly illegal order", and must be refused. Such orders may be disobeyed without fear of legal penalty.
e) No person shall be investigated twice for the same offense.
f) No crime occurring before this resolution shall be prosecuted by the WAWCT.

4. DECREES that if the WAWCT indicts an individual serving in the armed forces of a WA memberstate for war crimes, that nation's government must
(a) pay WAWCT-ordered monetary reparations to the victims, or their next of kin AND
(b) arrest and prosecute said individual for committing war crimes. Coercion may be considered as a mitigating circumstance in the prosecution of acts of war crimes committed by subordinates following orders.

One new thing I wonder: Is there a need for a commitee to artibtrate any dispute over this legalisation, to close loopholes? Or is it unneeded? We could have the WAWCT atribrate disputes, but that would be having the WAWCT oversee itself. We could have the WA Commission of Human Rights artibrate disputes, but that would lead to bureacratic conflict with the WAWCT.

I have to go for three days, so I'll wait for future replies.
This is the place to move your nation from one region to another. A fleet of military-grade choppers will fly in and physically transport SilentScope4 to a better location.

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:50 pm

The new draft appears to satisfy all of New Rockport's concerns. I just have a question regarding the new Section 4. Suppose a national of New Rockport joins the Bigtopian Foreign Legion (assume Bigtopia is also a WA member). Our legionnaire serves in combat, is discharged, and returns home to New Rockport. After our legionnnaire returns home, he is alleged to have committed a war crime. The WAWCT investigates and hands down an indictment. Under Section 4, Bigtopia would be obligated to try the legionnaire. But, suppose that New Rockport has no extradition treaty with Bigtopia because Bigtopia's rules of criminal procedure do not provide adequate due process to criminal defendants. Would this resolution require New Rockport to extradite the legionnaire to Bgitopia?
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:30 am

SilentScope4 wrote:I am going to need to change the definition to say, "any activity conducted during wartime that serves no practical military purpose".

OOC: So if some troops who are on leave during wartime choose to visit a museum, that would be a "war crime"?!?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Absolvability
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 am

New Rockport wrote:But, suppose that New Rockport has no extradition treaty with Bigtopia because Bigtopia's rules of criminal procedure do not provide adequate due process to criminal defendants. Would this resolution require New Rockport to extradite the legionnaire to Bgitopia?

But if Bigtopia was a member of the WA, then wouldn't they be bound by Fairness in Criminal Trials?
Antonius Veloci

Cobdenia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cobdenia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:52 pm

The prolem as I see it is that we already have proposals covering warcrimes, which have been dealt with just by banning them. This whole Tribunal thing is completely unneccessary, and is almost a contradiction - why would crimes committed against PoW's or the use of torture be done away with (OoC: we have to assume that compliance is full) whilst other war crimes go under an international panel. I'm not sure it is particularly a good idea for a large amount of their military budget worrying about the legal fees in case a passing civilian happens to see a terrorist being shot on the street (emotional damage). War crimes are a difficult issue, and one best done peacemeal. In this case, just expand:

and ban them. Far simpler. Hell, I could do it for you, especially as the above definition is pretty stupid and doesn't factor in several factors of military neccessity (OoC: if the above was the case during WWII, the fact of the matter is the western allies wouldn't have been able to launch a second front, a real possibility existed for the invasion of the UK, and the eastern front could well have ended up a stalemate. The night bombing of German cities by the RAF's bomber command was crucial to success, despite what poorly read, whiny, over principled peaceniks with no understanding of war or indeed even a basic grasp of history or common sense would have you believe)
Sir Cyril MacLehose-Strangways-Jones, GCRC, LOG
Permanent Representative of the Raj of Cobdenia to the World Assembly
Proud member of the Green Ink Brigade

SilentScope4
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby SilentScope4 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:05 pm

Hell, I could do it for you, especially as the above definition is pretty stupid and doesn't factor in several factors of military neccessity

(OOC: I'm still am afraid of people being more "creative" in inflicting damage on people while still following the law of the resolution at hand. However, in the end, you appear to know about what military tactics are effective and what are not, so prehaps you are better at this than I would be.

I am likely going to be very, very busy, for a long time, so, Cobendia, if you are still interested in doing this resolution yourself, please, go right ahead and do it. I will be too busy to continue.)

But if Bigtopia was a member of the WA, then wouldn't they be bound by Fairness in Criminal Trials?

Yes, but New Rockport may still believe that Bigtopia may not be fufilling Fairness in Criminal Trials effectively. I've read through that resolution, and nowhere does it allows for extradition of suspects. Hm. This is going to be hard to deal with here...

SilentScope4
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby SilentScope4 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Gonna regret this but...

1) I'm going to get rid of the WA War Crime Tribunal, due to Cobedina's concerns. That should save on wordcount that would then be reinvested in making the definition longer.
2) I'm going to keep the definition of war crimes for now, until Cobedina posts his definition, in which I will then use that definition instead.

Serbian_Soviet_Union
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Serbian_Soviet_Union » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:51 pm

The proposal that it looks like now has many loopholes which enables nations that are at war to prosecute just about anyone involved in the war as the war crimes has no definition and there is nothing describing what is a war crime if or when it is committed, by which every soldier, civilian guard, even the defense minister, prime minister, foreign minister, the president would be prosecuted for war crimes and the question remains still what is a war crime?? what is the definition of war crimes, does this involve non member states being prosecutted for war crimes if a non member state and a member state were both engaged in a war?? Also a war is often RP'd and it happens in the international conflict where the WA has no jurisdiction and bearing to it. Therefore this proposal is pointless and it will do nothing. Also as Cobdenia mentioned before, this proposal is contradictory to one of many resolutions passed recently or long ago through the WA, making this proposal illegal and contradictory to one of many resolution's passed.
Last edited by Serbian_Soviet_Union on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zastava Arms Inc Cheap Military Hardware: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6443
Zastava Energy Inc & Zastava Oil Corporation: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7806
Full member of: AMNAT, CIN, SCUTUM, CA, VA, PSUS
Observer Member of: GIA, EA, CI

Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) State of War/State of Emergency || Preparation for a possible war
Military size 5% Active || 2.5% Reserves
Government Type: Capitalist, Conservative, Right Wing, Democratic
FSSU Nations Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9558
Serbian Broadcasting News: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9733
Baxtell Heavy Engineering Droid Works

New Xania
Envoy

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Xania » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:10 pm

As a nation that does not believe there is such a thing as a "war crime" I oppose this. I would like to know how the WA would handle a nation not in the WA that commits these imaginary "war crimes".

SilentScope4
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby SilentScope4 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 pm

The proposal that it looks like now has many loopholes which enables nations that are at war to prosecute just about anyone involved in the war

Which they can already do...

As a nation that does not believe there is such a thing as a "war crime" I oppose this. I would like to know how the WA would handle a nation not in the WA that commits these imaginary "war crimes".

We would do nothing. Keep in mind, I have been making this resolution weaker and weaker just to make sure WA members can defend against non-WA members who do not adhere to the same morality as WA members.

New Arpad
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Arpad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Allied Governments wrote:
Absolvability wrote:Article 1 definately needs some revising or defining. Perhaps wording it something like this... and I think this would enable you to combine 1 and 2... "a) Through negligence or intention procures through military procedure a collateral damage on civilians mental or physical person, by force or threat or force, in excess to the damages recieved by the appropriate target."

Silentscope4 wrote:d) No defendant shall be acquitted because they were following orders of a superior.

I like this part. I understand that in the military following orders is paramount. However, even in the most extreme circumstances, a man or woman is fully responsible for their actions. However, I hope the author takes advice from the Representative of Studly Penguins on possibly rewording it and combining it for brevity and clarity.

The only problem I have with it is when the soldier or officer MUST obey the order, under penalty of either death, or the death of their family.

If a soldier has the choice between committing a war crime or facing the death penalty then that soldier should choose the death penalty or face a trial for war crimes later. No exceptions!

New Arpad
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Arpad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:06 pm

New Xania wrote:As a nation that does not believe there is such a thing as a "war crime" I oppose this. I would like to know how the WA would handle a nation not in the WA that commits these imaginary "war crimes".

Think of the conflict in former Yugoslavia where women were herded together into camps where they were raped again and again. These women were not released until they were pregnant. Only then were they allowed to leave the camp. Soldiers and officers who participate in something like THAT are committing a war crime and should be prosecuted accordingly.

Spredronia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Spredronia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Full support.
(.-:-[_____]-:-) = PSP
([______])
(-:- . . -:-) PSPGo!
Taken from the Playstation.com forums. Please don't hurt me. If you want me to remove them, just say so.
Epic Thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59092
Member of the CoNS
If Twilight came to life, 50% of the world would scream in joy. The other 48% would kill themselves. If you are one of the 1% who would grab a shotty and fight to the end, C+P. Yes, it's copied, no, I don't care.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly