NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Universal Ban on Firearms Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Altanni
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Altanni » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Keshiland wrote:Lets just put it to a vote!

If it passes great if not its dropped!

That assumes it'll even get to vote. The whole "must be enacted in 7 days" is illegal for messing with game mechanics, so it probably won't get pasr the GenSec. And on top of that, you'd need 113 approvals before it gets voted on by everyone. Submitting a proposal isn't that easy.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Beta City wrote:I for one is in favour of this draft, why do normal law abiding citizens need guns for anyways?

"For if the government tries to murder them, and don't you even try to say it doesn't happen."
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Keshiland wrote:Lets just put it to a vote!

If it passes great if not its dropped!

I doubt it will get passed by GenSec anyways, and even if it does become a resolution-at-vote its going to fail miserably.
A fascist confederacy located in the Balkans.

P.S. Sorry for bastardizing/butchering Balkanic languages

Pro: Fascism, ultra-nationalism, militarism, Golden Dawn, far-right, alt-right, Pinochet, Mussolini
Anti: Basically everything on the left side of the political spectrum.

"It is foolish to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - George S. Patton
"Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day." - Benito Mussolini
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face." - Augusto Pinochet

Completely accurate countryball of Cylonarus made by Belkan America
RIP SYRIZA
Ben Shapiro roasting liberals
How a country should be

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Fri May 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Essu Beti wrote:
Beta City wrote:I for one is in favour of this draft, why do normal law abiding citizens need guns for anyways?

"For if the government tries to murder them, and don't you even try to say it doesn't happen."

"Exactly. If guns are made illegal, and the government tries to commit mass murder, then what the hell will citizens have to defend themselves with? STICKS?!"

Pro: Fascism, ultra-nationalism, militarism, Golden Dawn, far-right, alt-right, Pinochet, Mussolini

"It is foolish to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - George S. Patton
"Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day." - Benito Mussolini

RIP SYRIZA
How a country should be

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 pm

If its so sure to fail a public vote then I dare you to put it to one. Anything less is all talk.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Altanni
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altanni » Fri May 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Keshiland wrote:If its so sure to fail a public vote then I dare you to put it to one. Anything less is all talk.

It's your proposal, submit it if you want. Just keep in mind the number of votes against you're guaranteed to receive.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Keshiland wrote:If its so sure to fail a public vote then I dare you to put it to one. Anything less is all talk.

It doesn't even have to go to vote to fail, quite a few ambassadors have already explained why this is a bad idea for international legislation. If you want to impose such a ban in your nation, you are more than welcome.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 pm

The Sheika wrote:

It doesn't even have to go to vote to fail, quite a few ambassadors have already explained why this is a bad idea for international legislation. If you want to impose such a ban in your nation, you are more than welcome.

So you guys are scared of liberal ideals or ideas that differ from your own getting a shot. How cute. I am going to simply say this (I will take out the 7 days thing that makes it illegal) If your not afraid of this passing the public vote then send it there! If you are scared then, by all means, stop it! I guess im the fool for thinking that the GA was impartial and passed bills that were legal regardless of personal opinion.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Altanni
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altanni » Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 pm

So you guys are scared of liberal ideals or ideas that differ from your own getting a shot. How cute. I am going to simply say this (I will take out the 7 days thing that makes it illegal) If your not afraid of this passing the public vote then send it there! If you are scared then, by all means, stop it! I guess im the fool for thinking that the GA was impartial and passed bills that were legal regardless of personal opinion

Why would people support something that goes against their nation's beliefs or is harmful to them? Legality isn't the only reason to support something.
And once again, it's your damn proposal, submit it your damn self. No one's taking it to public vote for you.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri May 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Keshiland wrote:I guess im the fool for thinking that the GA was impartial and passed bills that were legal regardless of personal opinion.

Stop taking this personally. I mean it.

People here post mostly in-character, and most of the characters have extreme views. A lot of them are dictators of one sort or another, and they're roleplaying their nation's leaders and ambassadors. Plus, it's traditional and appropriate to attack the idea here in the drafting thread, so the author has an opportunity to change things around to make it more palatable to a wider audience.

It's meant to be a learning opportunity with your peers in the WA. If all you're going to do is attack your opponents, go ahead and submit it and watch it die in the Approvals stage.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri May 26, 2017 8:50 pm

it's your damn proposal, submit it your damn self. No one's taking it to public vote for you.

I'm simply asking will the delegates let it go to public vote if proposed? Its not damn complicated! Either you believe in democracy and will let the public vote on a LEGAL proposal or you will subvert democracy and kill it!

State count 135

The Sheika
Diplomat

Postby The Sheika » Fri May 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Keshiland wrote:
it's your damn proposal, submit it your damn self. No one's taking it to public vote for you.

I'm simply asking will the delegates let it go to public vote if proposed? Its not damn complicated! Either you believe in democracy and will let the public vote on a LEGAL proposal or you will subvert democracy and kill it!

Please refrain from turning this into something that it isn't. There is no grand conspiracy to kill your proposal, there is no subversion of democracy. There was a member nation who at one time acted if that were the case because their bill was wildly unpopular. Don't be like them, please be reasonable.

Altanni
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Altanni » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Keshiland wrote:

I ain't a delegate, so don't get mad at me if the delegates don't approve. And again, legality isn't the only reason to support something. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many proposals that get defeated. You need to take criticism when other people give it and reconsider if your proposal is as great as you think it is.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 pm

It's meant to be a learning opportunity with your peers in the WA. If all you're going to do is attack your opponents, go ahead and submit it and watch it die in the Approvals stage.

1. Its no that im taking it persinally
2. I have basically been told by the conservative controlled apporval board that it will not be approved because THEY don't like it.

State count 135

The Sheika
Diplomat

Postby The Sheika » Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Keshiland wrote:

2. I have basically been told by the conservative controlled apporval board that it will not be approved because THEY don't like it.

This is not a matter of liberal or conservative. For example, I am far from conservative but I feel that your proposal is better suited to individual nations as opposed to the WA as a whole.

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Fri May 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Keshiland wrote:

*citation needed for that whining*

RIP SYRIZA
How a country should be

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Fri May 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Also I think this entire thing is a troll proposal anyways.

RIP SYRIZA
How a country should be

Cruxa
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cruxa » Fri May 26, 2017 9:09 pm

This is yet another example of Keshiland's WA incompetence, suggesting a full-on weapons ban. A the wording is wrong (as pointed out in the previous posts), and though the actual method stated here (government taking guns) isn't impossible, it's a breach of civil liberties in almost any democratic nation. Honestly, Keshiland, I'm starting to think that you don't want to write an actual piece of legislation with actual political goals and so you choose to make noise about bans instead.
[5]4321
Conservative economically, liberal socially
Capitalist
Does not use NS stats!
Cruxa is a Class P14 civilization!
San Marlindo wrote:I didn't understand a word of this OP except maybe this is the sort of thing I dwell on when I'm high.

Charlia wrote:Are you scared?
Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcellent.

Valgora wrote:But they wouldn't need to take it from your hands. They just need to ban the websites.
Unless you are still using magazines.
Plus, the friction would warm up your hands.
Name: Crux >:3
Dislikes: Pop, you
Happiness Level: lowest of the low
Views: Libertarian
Pro gay, capitalism, weed, Mexico, Muslim refugees, choice
Anti terrorist, Russia, Trump, Clinton, religion, communism

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 pm

This isn't the first time the author just has stated that a proposal go to vote and taken it personally when told that the proposal wasn't very good.

There are reasons why civilians should have guns. Many RL examples. But for general reasons, here are a few. One could be that a civilian lives in an area where there is no law enforcement for hundreds or thousands of miles and they have a right to self defense. Also, civilians may hunt for food to feed their families.

And just a reminder, it's already been pointed out this proposal would be contradicting a current resolution that already grants member nations the right to decide their own domestic gun laws.
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Fri May 26, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Cruxa
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cruxa » Fri May 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:This isn't the first time the author just has stated that a proposal go to vote and taken it personally when told that the proposal wasn't very good.

There are reasons why civilians should have guns. Many RL examples. But for general reasons, here are a few. One could be that a civilian lives in an area where there is no law enforcement for hundreds or thousands of miles and they have a right to self defense. Also, civilians may hunt for food to feed their families.

This.
[5]4321
Conservative economically, liberal socially
Capitalist
Does not use NS stats!
Cruxa is a Class P14 civilization!
San Marlindo wrote:I didn't understand a word of this OP except maybe this is the sort of thing I dwell on when I'm high.

Charlia wrote:Are you scared?
Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcellent.

Valgora wrote:But they wouldn't need to take it from your hands. They just need to ban the websites.
Unless you are still using magazines.
Plus, the friction would warm up your hands.
Name: Crux >:3
Dislikes: Pop, you
Happiness Level: lowest of the low
Views: Libertarian
Pro gay, capitalism, weed, Mexico, Muslim refugees, choice
Anti terrorist, Russia, Trump, Clinton, religion, communism

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:And just a reminder, it's already been pointed out this proposal would be contradicting a current resolution that already grants member nations the right to decide their own domestic gun laws.

RIP SYRIZA
How a country should be

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Keshiland wrote:I'm simply asking will the delegates let it go to public vote if proposed? Its not damn complicated! Either you believe in democracy and will let the public vote on a LEGAL proposal or you will subvert democracy and kill it!

OOC: Legal drafts don't automatically go into the queue for public voting. First, they have to pass quorum- 6% of total regional delegates need to approve it. Delegates, not individual nations. A delegate is by no means obligated to approve a proposal and no it is not subverting democracy for someone not to- it filters out those proposals that are really, really poorly written, or are ultimately pointless, while still being legal. Only then does it reach public vote.

If you want your proposal to reach quorum, you need to campaign for it, but throwing around charged phrases like 'killing democracy' is a great way to make people not listen to you. Stomping your feet and demanding an immediate go to popular vote is a great way to make people not listen to you. Taking things personally is a great way to make people not listen to you. And not acknowledging our IC or OOC concerns is a great way to make people not listen to you. I reread this thread and you never answered our character's concerns. All you did was say "well let's put it to a vote!" and get insulted when people still expressed concerns.
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Sat May 27, 2017 2:53 am

Essu Beti wrote:

I can honestly say we (as a government) have never tried to kill our citizens. Our citizens may try to kill each other at various times, and we find that it is a lot harder for them to do that if they don't have guns with which to do it. Or at least a lot harder to do it easily and in great numbers before the police (or other citizens) can stop them.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Sat May 27, 2017 3:04 am

Teran Saber: "I can think of quite a few reasons. Do you care for me to list them?"
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Sat May 27, 2017 3:43 am

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:

Teran Saber: "I can think of quite a few reasons. Do you care for me to list them?"

Probably best not. In the same way that debates about proposals about abortions really shouldn't be turned into debates about abortion, I am not certain anyone would benefit from turning this into a debate about gun control, as opposed to a debate about a proposal about gun control.

Because in both cases (gun control and abortion) both sides think they are right, both sides think they have the ultimate, final argument that will win the day and neither side can ever accept that the other side might have a point. So in the end we just go round and round and round and round and end up right where we started, only a hundred pages later.

And don't we all have better things to do?
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly