NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Universal Ban on Firearms Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Universal Ban on Firearms Act

Postby Keshiland » Wed May 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Universal Ban on Firearms Act

Goal- To eliminate the possession of firearms for all civilians.

Restrictions- A full ban on the possession of firearms for civilians, the sale of firearms to civilians, and use of firearms by civilians.

Acknowledging- Some nations may have a gun culture.

Recognizing- That a gun free nation is a safe nation.

Defines- Firearm: Any object that can shoot a projectile with the use of a button, or trigger that is handheld.

Creates- Universal Firearm Regulation Administation- Used to keep track of and register all firearms, aswell as report all violations of the law.

Requires All firearms be removed from civilians and that the law be enforced by the individual nations.

Allows For military personnel to own firearms during service.
Last edited by Keshiland on Fri May 26, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed May 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Keshiland wrote:Punishment The punishment for violation is a request to the security council for condemnation.

OOC: Metagaming and game mechanics violations in one package. Proposal rules here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=159348
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Keshiland wrote:Punishment The punishment for violation is a request to the security council for condemnation.

OOC: Metagaming and game mechanics violations in one package. Proposal rules here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=159348

removed thanks for pointing that out :P
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Teran Saber: "There's a lot of problems with this."

Keshiland wrote:Acknowledging- Some nations may have a gun culture.

"In some cases it's not just culture. Not all nations have the military resources to defend themselves, and have to rely on civilian militia. Not to mention it would also be problematic for both starfaring nations and nations in the 'age of sailing and exploration' as it leaves civilians completely helpless at the hands of pirates."

Keshiland wrote:Recognizing- That a gun free nation is a safe nation.

"You need to back this statement"

Keshiland wrote:Defines- Firearm: Any object that can shoot a projectile with the use of a button, or trigger that is handheld.

"Congratulations. You just classified Airsoft guns, BB guns, Nerf guns, water guns and any toy with a shooting action as a firearm, among other things."

Keshiland wrote:Creates- Universal Firearm Regulation Administation- Used to keep track of and register all firearms, aswell as report all violations of the law.

(OOC: pretty sure creating a world assembly law enforcement committee is against the rules)

(OOC: Metagaming violation. Also unnecessary.)

Keshiland wrote:Requires All firearms be removed from civilians and that the law be enforced by the individual nations.

"Congratulations. You just took firearms away from any non-military police forces."

Keshiland wrote:Allows For military personnel to own firearms during service.

"The only reasonable thing about this proposal."

Keshiland wrote:Mandates Law be enacted in each nation within 7 days of passing.

"Unnecessary. Resolutions go into effect as soon as they are passed."

"As a whole, this is a one-size fits all proposal that would never pass. I'd suggest you abandon it."

*Teran Saber takes his copy of the proposal outside and lights it on fire with a handheld 3.5Gw laser*
Last edited by The Greater Siriusian Domain on Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Secundus Imperium Romanum
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Secundus Imperium Romanum » Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Giulia Maccini: This project is a clear disregard for the law and the freedom to conduct a gun, whoever decides is the citizen, not us. We will fight in every way against the approval of this stupid resolution.
Secundus Imperium Romanum
A democratic nation, with the 1950s fashion.
Constitution · Parliamentary Debates · News · Embassy Program
Every day in Rome

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Keshiland wrote:Defines- Firearm: Any object that can shoot a projectile with the use of a button, or trigger that is handheld.

OOC: Includes crossbows and water pistols. And possibly tasers.

Creates- Universal Firearm Regulation Administation

Too much faffing with text edits. You don't need to bold the capital letters. Or anything, really.

Used to keep track of and register all firearms, aswell as report all violations of the law.

Typo. Also, report them to whom or what? Remember that the WA does not and cannot have a police or military force of its own.

Requires All firearms be removed from civilians and that the law be enforced by the individual nations.

That latter part goes without saying. Also, if the police are not military personnel, they can't have guns either.

See above.

Mandates Law be enacted in each nation within 7 days of passing.

Resolutions come into effect immediately after passing. Coming to full compliance with one may take time, but exactly what is the 7 day deadline for? Is it that after 7 days anyone owning a gun is breaking the law, or that after 7 days the gun-collecting needs to start?

This is one of those things that will never ever pass, not as long as over 50% WA voters are from USA and possibly Australia.

EDIT: I know Sirius ninja'd me, but eh, I'd already written it...
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed May 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Absolutely right. There was no crime, no war, no murder, before guns. Nope never. It was a paradise where everybody was happy and safe and rode unicorns.

[/sarcasm]
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed May 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:

Absolutely right. There was no crime, no war, no murder, before guns. Nope never. It was a paradise where everybody was happy and safe and rode unicorns.

[/sarcasm]

Well you have to admit that there weren't any shootings using guns... :P

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Wed May 24, 2017 6:12 pm

but exactly what is the 7 day deadline for? Is it that after 7 days anyone owning a gun is breaking the law, or that after 7 days the gun-collecting needs to start?

7 days to start removing guns

State count 135

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Wed May 24, 2017 6:13 pm

OOC (because this pertains to IRL stuff): I just remembered something. 3D printed firearms are a thing, and we're starting to see thermoplastic nylon alloys that can handle the stress caused by firing a bullet and aren't prone to delamination. In a sense, this makes it really difficult to enforce any sort of firearms legislation. The only person breaking any laws is the person printing the weapon. The CAD drawing author is protected by whatever free speech protections their home nation has.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

The Christonian Imperium
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Christonian Imperium » Wed May 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Keshiland wrote:Universal Ban on Firearms Act

Restrictions- A full ban on the possession of firearms for civilians, the sale of firearms to civilians, and use of firearms by civilians.

Defines- Firearm: Any object that can shoot a projectile with the use of a button, or trigger that is handheld.

Creates- Universal Firearm Regulation Administation- Used to keep track of and register all firearms, aswell as report all violations of the law.

We find your ridiculous idea of a bill preposterous, our nation requires that every man and woman that is able bodied, sane, and has not committed is demanded by federal law to join the military and keep a rifle and handgun at home in case of invasion or if a filthy communist/liberal terrorist starts anything. We shall block your bill and if it is signed we will deny its use in this fair nation. You can shove your little joke up your a**, I bid you a good day.
Though I am a Christian, my nation is not.
Refer to my nation as Glonnalaich (Glah-nah-lie-ch)

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Wed May 24, 2017 6:39 pm

What's the point of creating an administration to register firearms that have been banned? This seems utterly superfluous.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Cylonarus
Spokesperson

Founded: May 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cylonarus » Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm

"There is so much wrong with this..."

"Yea, and leave them defenseless. Good idea."

"Again, and leave them defenseless. EVEN BETTER IDEA!"

"So?"

"Sincerely, jihadist massacres that could have been stopped with one single guy with a gun"

"So you're gonna outlaw BB guns, nerf guns, and numerous other appliances that use that mechanism that aren't actually guns?"

"Oh jesus..."

"And leave them, yet again, completely defenseless against tyranny."

"Isn't that already a thing?"

Mandates Law be enacted in each nation within 7 days of passing.[/quote]
"Hold up, I'm not the flash."

"In conclusion, the guy that made this was either high, smoking meth, or a complete plum."
A fascist confederacy located in the Balkans.

P.S. Sorry for bastardizing/butchering Balkanic languages

Pro: Fascism, ultra-nationalism, militarism, Golden Dawn, far-right, alt-right, Pinochet, Mussolini
Anti: Basically everything on the left side of the political spectrum.

"It is foolish to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - George S. Patton
"Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day." - Benito Mussolini
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face." - Augusto Pinochet

Completely accurate countryball of Cylonarus made by Belkan America
RIP SYRIZA
Ben Shapiro roasting liberals
How a country should be

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 pm

"Absolutely fucking not!" barks Iksana, lashing his tail back and forth. "The only reason so many of my people survived the purges is because someone smuggled guns into the enclaves- without them we all would have been slaughtered instead of merely many of us. Civilians need guns to protect themselves from the government!"
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed May 24, 2017 7:11 pm

*Hem hem* Celice passes out a copy of GAR#399 with a section prominently highlighted.

5. Assures member nations of the exclusive right to determine purely internal arms trading and firearm policy, excepting:

those regulations recognized by the terms of this resolution or extant international law,
future regulations which seek to prevent firearms from being sold to or used by individuals that pose a danger of performing imminent lawless action, or
future resolutions which seek to relax regulations on purchasing firearms for recreational reasons only;
Last edited by Aclion on Wed May 24, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Sheika
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 27, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Sheika » Wed May 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Aright, let's see what you came up with this time around.

I am fairly certain that you are going to have a lot of opposition based upon the title alone.

If I was for this proposal, which I am not, I would combine these two into a single point.

It's good that you acknowledge that, but does it really help your proposal?

Not exactly. If a foreign dissident really wanted to hurt a nation they consider belligerent, I am pretty sure they could summon the personal motivation to carry out their attack. Could law enforcement stop them? Sure, if they respond in time. Despite any safe guards that could be put into place, where there is a will there is a way.

Handheld can be sort of tricky to define. If somebody really wanted to, they could determine handheld meaning a pistol thus making a tripod-mounted machine gun legal...er, provided they went through the mental gymnastics to create such a loophole.

If firearms are not being sold, what is the point of registration? Registering for the sake of them being registered seems like a waste.

Hmm, the more I read this the more it seems like this might work out better for your nation. If you can come up with a compelling argument as to how this is an international concern, I'll be all ears. The burden of proof is on you.

Would these be their assigned weapons from their units, or personal posessions?

Nope, all resolutions go into effect upon passage.
Colonel Johnathan "Jack" Austin, Ambassador to the World Assembly
Department of International Affairs
Militaristic Federation of the Sheika
Regional Delegate of Absolution

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 am

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:
Keshiland wrote:Creates- Universal Firearm Regulation Administation- Used to keep track of and register all firearms, aswell as report all violations of the law.

(OOC: pretty sure creating a world assembly law enforcement committee is against the rules)

OOC: With the limited scope involved here, which doesn't involve forcibly enforcing the law, I'd call it legal... in that respect. However, as worded ("Universal", "all"), it looks to me as though the agency is meant to have jurisdiction in non-WA nations as well as in the WA's actual members... which is illegal.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 am

Covenstone has a general ban on guns, and has had for several decades. Giving your citizens the ability to kill in great numbers, over long distances and on a whim just seems incredibly counter productive to the survival of the said citizens.

However we understand that other nations might not feel this way, and we do not believe that we should interfere with their choice because, if they endeavoured to enforce their view that all citizens should have the right to carry guns on us, we would find it offensive and insulting.

We also disagree that a gun free nation is a safe nation, given that people still sometimes get killed in Covenstone, despite the ban on guns. (And no, we do not believe giving our citizens the right to own guns would actually prevent any of these deaths, especially the ones where they fall into ravines, get killed by forest fires and sometimes hit by toilets falling from the International Space Station.)
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri May 26, 2017 7:48 am

It still bans non-military police from having guns.

Lardingo
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Lardingo » Fri May 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Although Lardingo is no longer a member of the WA, we do keep up on its affairs and have encountered this proposal. For many nations like Lardingo, guns are a large and proud part of their culture. Without firearms, we wouldn't be Lardingo. They provide a way for our citizens to protect themselves, and keep our government in check. I suggest that the international community work on improving mental health care and firearms training, instead of getting rid of guns altogether.

Fred P. Harrison,
Executive of foreign affairs
Last edited by Lardingo on Fri May 26, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Iraelia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Iraelia » Fri May 26, 2017 12:55 pm

"This resolution is a slap in the face to any semblance of national sovereignty that is left in this world. I urge you to reconsider the very reasoning behind this resolution."
Signed,

Efraim Abraham
Iraelian Delegate to the World Assembly

Afo
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Afo » Fri May 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Araraukar wrote:and possibly Australia.

Not Australia. They instituted a gun-grab some 20 years ago.
"Oh, God - not another puppet of Tinhampton!"
There was once a time when a repeating quatrain
Ensured that there was a perpetual refrain
But after so long, and after so much pain
They decided "Let's not write like that again!"

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Fri May 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Iraelia wrote:"This resolution is a slap in the face to any semblance of national sovereignty that is left in this world. I urge you to reconsider the very reasoning behind this resolution."

Teran Saber: "As much as I agree with your statements, unfortunately stepping on national sovereignty is the job of the World Assembly, and as such using it as your sole argument against a proposal doesn't work."

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri May 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Lets just put it to a vote!

If it passes great if not its dropped!

State count 135

Beta City
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta City » Fri May 26, 2017 7:55 pm

I for one is in favour of this draft, why do normal law abiding citizens need guns for anyways?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly