NATION

PASSWORD

Against The Ban Cars Proposal.

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The Spooner Continent
Political Columnist

Founded: May 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Against The Ban Cars Proposal.

Postby The Spooner Continent » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14 pm

We, The Opressed Peoples of the Spooner Continent, are strongly against this outrageous proposal for many solid reasons.

For one, unlike some nations we have a barren land in which most industry is impossible. We thrive on our automobile manufacturing. This Bill would be a disaster to us, as it may be to many other nations as well.

The proposal would kill our existing stock, setting our nation in debt for the loss of recovered funds and the disposal of our stock. It would also put us in a position to have to change over our factories to produce "Green Cars", which in turn would cost money we would not have. Putting us in a position of debt that we may never recover from and adding to the suffering that our people have fought a Civil War to end.

I call upon all other nations, both those who share in our views due to economic reasons and those nations who would rather not see another nation of peoples suffer for no reason beyond percieved self rightousness, to turn a blind eye to this proposal. Should it ever make it to be voted on, I call on everyone to vote it down to avoid the disasterous economic effects it may cause.

Whoever came up with this idea obvious does not depend on the automobile industry, nor trades with those who do. They like have economic enemies or rivals who thrive due to it and wish to bring them low out of jealousy. I trust that the rest of us are more reasoned leaders and do not fall for such petty games.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

Saige Dragon
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2003
Ex-Nation

Re: Against The Ban Cars Proposal.

Postby Saige Dragon » Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm

Eh, dude? This should be in Gameplay me thinks, not General.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu May 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Let them ride bicycles.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Fjordinavia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Fjordinavia » Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 pm

I don't see what the big deal is. One of my other nations has banned cars, and they're getting along just fine between low-emission bullet trains, buses, etc. They're also an anarchy, apparently ruled by "biker gangs", so clearly motorcycles are available.

I'd like to imagine that companies are allowed a limited fleet of big rig trucks to transport goods, too, and that it's just private ownership of vehicles that are banned.

Wait, are we talking about the issue or a WA proposal?

And yeah, this is totally the wrong forum for this sort of discussion.
Last edited by Fjordinavia on Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass Score
Economic: -8.62
Social: -5.64

Guy0307
Secretary

Founded: Jan 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Guy0307 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:47 pm

Fjordinavia wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. One of my other nations has banned cars, and they're getting along just fine between low-emission bullet trains, buses, etc. They're also an anarchy, apparently ruled by "biker gangs", so clearly motorcycles are available.

I'd like to imagine that companies are allowed a limited fleet of big rig trucks to transport goods, too, and that it's just private ownership of vehicles that are banned.

Wait, are we talking about the issue or a WA proposal?

And yeah, this is totally the wrong forum for this sort of discussion.

In my proposal, any gasoline or diesel based land vehicle is a car.
Last edited by Guy0307 on Thu May 07, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu May 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Guy0307 wrote:In my proposal, any gasoline or diesel based land vehicle is a car.

How about coal, I sense an opening for my coal-powered fire-horse industry.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri May 08, 2009 1:01 am

cars (built by hobbyists, from the ground up, for their own amusement) don't have to be banned. just the spending of tax money on any pavement wider then a sidewalk or two lane bike path. the mass production, sale, and wholesale importation of them. this would be sufficient to make gas stations almost entirely go out of bussiness, and without out them, indenturing oneself to an automobile sufficiently impractical and unattractive as to bring about their virtual extinction.

especially if a sufficiently attractive and useful alternative were provided, such as solar/battery or other noncombustion powered very narrow gauge "people sized" multiple unit railways going just about everywhere cars do now, comfortably, safely, conveniently, quietly, and best of all, without most of us having to spend more then half our lives either crawling under a damd car or earning the wherewith to pay someone else to have to.

any banning of anything proposal needs to have the banning of the sale, mass production and mass importation of whatever it is, without the banning of mere possession, as one of its alternative options.

(cameroi's constitution, which forbids banning POSSESSION of ANYthing, (in reasonable individual consumption quantities, which for artifacts generally means a maximum of 3), reqires it for ourselves)

there is absolutely nothing otherwise and else, wrong with the proposal of "banning" "cars"!
Last edited by Cameroi on Fri May 08, 2009 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Velkya
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 01, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Velkya » Fri May 08, 2009 7:21 am

especially if a sufficiently attractive and useful alternative were provided, such as solar/battery or other noncombustion powered very narrow gauge "people sized" multiple unit railways going just about everywhere cars do now, comfortably, safely, conveniently, quietly, and best of all, without most of us having to spend more then half our lives either crawling under a damd car or earning the wherewith to pay someone else to have to.

That sounds like an awfully large amount of infrastructure to build, especially when you're converting from a preexisting one designed to handle automobiles.
Last edited by Velkya on Fri May 08, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
-The Joker

Vault 10
Minister

Founded: Sep 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Vault 10 » Fri May 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Cameroi wrote:especially if a sufficiently attractive and useful alternative were provided, such as solar/battery

Solar power is impractically expensive. Batteries are heavily polluting.

everywhere cars do now, comfortably, safely, conveniently, quietly, and best of all, without most of us having to spend more then half our lives either crawling under a damd car or earning the wherewith to pay someone else to have to.

Just buy a Honda.
There is a line most people say they will never cross. It is usually something they have done long ago when they thought no one was watching.

The Spooner Continent
Political Columnist

Founded: May 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Spooner Continent » Fri May 08, 2009 6:03 pm

It still does not seem to offer any relief to nations that right now use automotive sales to support their economy. Without that you are just saying, "We are right and anyone who depends on this market can suffer, starve and die out." If there were to be incentive to change over to fuel efficient models or funding towards the creation of replacement facilities, this might be a good idea. Otherwise it's just elitist and dangerous.

That is all.

Sweets and Candy
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sweets and Candy » Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 pm

Let the people walk and your nation sufefr :evil:

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Sat May 09, 2009 11:36 pm

This should actually be in the WA forum
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Tue May 12, 2009 9:49 am

Velkya wrote:

That sounds like an awfully large amount of infrastructure to build, especially when you're converting from a preexisting one designed to handle automobiles.

are you forgetting, or have you just never imagined, there WAS a preexisting rail infrastructure BEFORE the transition to an automobile based one?

and it WASN'T a transition based on superior practicality either, in any sense.

several other arguments in this thread are equally vacuous.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Wed May 13, 2009 6:57 am

Cameroi wrote:several other arguments in this thread are equally vacuous.

I don't think that is a fair statement. Especially with respect to the issue of rebuilding infrastructure. This could be a very costly venture. On the other hand, I think it is an ill-concieved arguement to say that degrees of difficulty should sway us.

In the Rogue Nation we banned cars very early in the development stages of our nation. Which is to say, as I think somebody already said, that we banned private ownership. Meanwhile we funded public transport heavily and invested in "green" automobiles. Our economy struggled for a while, but never went below a 'reasonable' status. Now it is strong and, I dare say, much better off than 'stronger' economies that are dependant on automobiles. We mustn't be short-sighted in such matters.

The Spooner Continent wrote:For one, unlike some nations we have a barren land in which most industry is impossible. We thrive on our automobile manufacturing. This Bill would be a disaster to us, as it may be to many other nations as well.

Did the esteemed Representative consider that it may be largely due to his nation's thriving automobile industry that his land is barren?
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Balawaristan
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Balawaristan » Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Biodegradable bicycle rickshaws manufactured from soy-derived plastic and the Balawaristan Solar Monorail have revolutionized personal transportation in the Green Workers' Republic after the abolition of animal slavery (previously, many employed the use of donkeys to negotiate city streets and mountain passes) and the seizure of all internal combustion engines. We can proudly declare before the international community that our transportation system is a model for the world, free of cruelty and founded on the shining principles of the Green and Red Revolution.

This proposal will accomplish much good for the world, though its implementation will not be without some difficulty in certain regions. However, if Balawaristan, for all the difficulties the Revolution encountered, can succeed, then so can other nations. We are always willing to dispatch leading theorists to consult with the governments of various nations as to how these mandates may be most forcefully and effectively imposed. Strong measures, including the car ban, are essential for the health of the fragile ecosystems of the world, and also for moving man's consciousness beyond the fetishistic, consumerist model that assesses everything as a resource for exploitation. We must recognize nature as valuable in itself and find our place within nature, for only then can we recognize our species-being within genuine social life in harmony with broader nature.

Dr. Marx al-Ghazal
Ambassador,
The Green Workers' Republic of Balawaristan

Swartaz
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Swartaz » Fri May 15, 2009 9:10 am

Swartaz are against the proposed bill because of its thriving automobile industry, which would take a massive blow :x
Winners of Cup of Harmony 46
Other Footballing acheivements: Second Round World Cup 58, Qualified for World Cup 55, 57, 58 and 61 finals.

Goteborg Invitational I (Rugby Union)

Swartaz NSwiki
19:54 Myt: I honestly don't see what is wrong with beastiality

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly