NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] The World Assembly Art Library

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
The New European Order
Envoy

Founded: Jun 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

[ON HOLD] The World Assembly Art Library

Postby The New European Order » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:58 am

Greene: How about this one, sir? First one I wrote all by myself!

Smith: Jolly good show, kid! I wonder how the others will like it.

Greene: My concern lies mainly with the protection of the arts, rather than the pleasing of others, you know.

Smith: Hmmm... Sometimes, it might be good to have both, Greene. Alright, let's go."

Greene: *nods* Maybe. Let's go.

*The two walk to the debating floor, proposals in hand. Smith waits for the hawkish glares, and realizes how under prepared Greene probably is.*

The World Assembly Art Library
Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Artistic

Applauding the work of individuals and their artistic skill

Disappointed that so many go unrecognized for their skill

Intending to advance the knowledge, and enjoyment of art to all

Hereby

1. Defines "art" in the context of this resolution as "The expression or application of creative skill and imagination, in a visual form, (including, but not limited to painting and sculptures,) to produce pieces that are appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

2. Establishes the World Assembly Art Library, (WAAL) who's purpose is to store and exhibit the most exemplary pieces of art.

3. Encourages WA nations to donate their greatest pieces of art to be on display for everyone to see.

3. Mandates the WAAL be tasked with the following.
    -collecting and preserving great art pieces, if possible, copying them, and giving them back to the donor.
    -providing proper exhibition space, and security to mandate that none get stolen.
    - Allowing the public to see any of the art inside without price, and for any duration of time
    - Restoring and repairing possible damaged pieces with funds provided by the WAAL.

4. Mandates that the Office of Building Management (OBM) locate suitable land(s) and/or a planet, in international territory on which to build the WAAL, which shall:
    - Have adequate access to transportation to & from the WAAL & WA Nations,
    - Be sufficiently large enough to include for future expansion(s) of the WAAL
    - Ensure necessary protection against fire, natural elements, or other natural phenomena;

5. Reserves the right for artists to remove their pieces of art from the exhibition

6. Outlaws the forceful exhibition of art without the donation and consent of the artist.

6a. Affirms that in the case of artist death, and custody of the piece is given to the government of a member state, that the member state itself can decide whether to send the piece to the Library.

Agree, Disagree? Is this necessary? Is it written correctly? Request some more help from Araraukar
Last edited by The New European Order on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
From the office of: Jack Smith
Ambassador of Foreign Affairs
The New European Order
Office 26-D, Paris Parliament Building, 1743 Rue de Valet, Paris
smith.jack.tneo@Gmail.com
Active Assistant: None: Help Wanted

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:56 am

I admit that I have a lot of comments, but my first comment would be about Clause 6, in that we have a large collection of artwork from artists that are dead. And we have custody over them, even though we are not the artists that painted them.

Given the way Clause 6 is phrased, we would be unable to show them within this library thingy, because we are not the original artists, and the artists themselves cannot grant permission, what with them being dead.

So could it be modified to deal with such a situation?
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:10 am

Covenstone wrote:I admit that I have a lot of comments, but my first comment would be about Clause 6, in that we have a large collection of artwork from artists that are dead. And we have custody over them, even though we are not the artists that painted them.

Given the way Clause 6 is phrased, we would be unable to show them within this library thingy, because we are not the original artists, and the artists themselves cannot grant permission, what with them being dead.

So could it be modified to deal with such a situation?

Greene: Yes... I suppose that's not something that I have thought about, is dead artists...

Smith: You forgot that people die, Greene?

Greene: No, I- *sighs* yeah, I'll work on it.
The New European Order

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:07 pm

"We suggest harmonizing this with the recently established World Assembly Central Library Compact, as opposed to establishing a whole new library, perhaps by making it a division of the WACLC. Our only other concern is Clause 3. Nations may want to keep "their greatest" works to themselves. Generalizing this statement may prevent opposition to this on those grounds. We always like to support foreign cultures, and are excited to see this through."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:"We suggest harmonizing this with the recently established World Assembly Central Library Compact, as opposed to establishing a whole new library, perhaps by making it a division of the WACLC. Our only other concern is Clause 3. Nations may want to keep "their greatest" works to themselves. Generalizing this statement may prevent opposition to this on those grounds. We always like to support foreign cultures, and are excited to see this through."

Greene: It may be possible to connect this to the WACLC, however, the WACLC has to do with literary works, rather than pieces of art. Plus, the WACLC is under the Area of Effect of Cultural Heritage, while this resolution should go under the Area of Effect of Artistic, although you may be more valid. *mumbles* I'm barely qualified to decide on this anyways... assistant. Also, a later clause states that the greatest pieces of art donated will be copied, and preserved, and the original sent back to the donor. I think this covers your concerns.
The New European Order

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:17 pm

This really seems like too small an idea for the World Assembly. Creating a single gallery (which is all that is implied) for the entire WA membership seems kinda paltry. WA proposals ought to be broader and have implications for all member nations. In this case, each member nation could FedEx one or two packages to this Art Library and fully meet the expectations of the resolution. The resolution will have an effect on the nation's statistics far in excess of what the text demands.

Whovian Tardisia wrote:the recently established World Assembly Central Library Compact

On the same scale,

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:This really seems like too small an idea for the World Assembly. Creating a single gallery (which is all that is implied) for the entire WA membership seems kinda paltry. WA proposals ought to be broader and have implications for all member nations. In this case, each member nation could FedEx one or two packages to this Art Library and fully meet the expectations of the resolution. The resolution will have an effect on the nation's statistics far in excess of what the text demands.

Whovian Tardisia wrote:the recently established World Assembly Central Library Compact

On the same scale,

Greene: Oh... Well, Sorry sir. You seem a lot more experience than me, and I'm sure you mean best, but I believe, and I'm sure others believe that the arts are a majorly important contribution to the culture, and history of the World Assembly, and its member states, and I believe that its greatest artistic pieces should be recognized. With all due respect, of course. Don't mean to offend.
The New European Order

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:21 pm

"We support the concept," states Ambassador Qzu offhandedly before being wined and dined by solar energy executives.
Last edited by Bakhton on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 am

Bakhton wrote:"We support the concept," states Ambassador Qzu offhandedly before being wined and dined by solar energy executives.

Greene: Ooh! Thank you sir! Much obliged!
The New European Order

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:49 am

The New European Order wrote:Don't mean to offend.

I'm not offended, and I'm not against the arts. The problem isn't the arts, it's that you're thinking too small. Think about this from an international perspective. Figure out a way for nations to have art participation IN their nations, and not in some snooty museum located in some imaginary WA Capital City.

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
The New European Order wrote:Don't mean to offend.

I'm not offended, and I'm not against the arts. The problem isn't the arts, it's that you're thinking too small. Think about this from an international perspective. Figure out a way for nations to have art participation IN their nations, and not in some snooty museum located in some imaginary WA Capital City.

Greene: *Scratches chin* I guess I never thought about it that way.

Smith: What's going on?

Greene: He says that I should be focusing on programs WITHIN the WA member states, not a museum kind of thing of all art.

Smith: Interesting point. Hey, new from Janis. She says that you may have to specify some things about light fixture art, and some more about sculptures, but I'm sure we'll be able to think of something. *gives curt nod towards moderator* Thanks for the tip.
The New European Order

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:04 pm

The New European Order wrote:Smith: Interesting point. Hey, new from Janis. She says that you may have to specify some things about light fixture art, and some more about sculptures

OOC: Not what I said. And TGs are OOC. Janis hasn't said anything on this yet.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Araraukar wrote:
The New European Order wrote:Smith: Interesting point. Hey, new from Janis. She says that you may have to specify some things about light fixture art, and some more about sculptures

OOC: Not what I said. And TGs are OOC. Janis hasn't said anything on this yet.

OOC: Ah, okay. Sorry, still getting used to what counts as IC and OOC...
The New European Order

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:37 pm

The New European Order wrote:OOC: Ah, okay. Sorry, still getting used to what counts as IC and OOC...

OOC: Usually when people RP in TGs, they include some kind of formal signature thing. I personally try my best to not RP via TGs, but I know some people do that (mainly because they've TG'd me in IC :P).
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Secundus Imperium Romanum
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Secundus Imperium Romanum » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Giulia Maccini: Hm.. Seems like a great idea, the preservation of the arts is crucial not only to our culture, but to our history. You have our vote in favor.
A democratic nation, with the 1950s fashion.
Constitution · Parliamentary Debates · News · Embassy Program
Every day in Rome

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm

"Clause 5 is intended to reserve the right to remove our own art from the exhibition, yes?"
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:24 pm

NORTH: When a piece of art is sold, the rights to that art transfer from the owner or creator to the person to which it is sold. An artist does not have eternal property rights to artistic creations. If an author wants to retain those rights, then they ought not have sold the creation. We object to clause six on that basis.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secundus Imperium Romanum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Giulia Maccini: However, if an original work is damaged, who will pay the loss? The fund for art, government, museum or the vandal itself?
Every day in Rome

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:NORTH: When a piece of art is sold, the rights to that art transfer from the owner or creator to the person to which it is sold. An artist does not have eternal property rights to artistic creations. If an author wants to retain those rights, then they ought not have sold the creation. We object to clause six on that basis.

Greene: Perhaps you may be misinterpreting that clause, but maybe not... *shrivels* sorry, I'll-

Smith: *pushes Greene aside* What my assistant is attempting to convey, is that the specific clause in which you object, may not cover the exact thing you object it for. That clause prohibits the stealing of others' art BY the library itself, to put on display. It basically just says, that artists can choose NOT to submit their work if they want, like for example, if a four year old is heralded the nation's best artist because he was the first one to draw a stegosaurus on a post-it-note, the art library can't forcefully put that post-it-note on display, because the artist doesn't want it to be shown. That's all that clause does, unless you're referring to another issue?

Greene: Yeah... That's what I meant.
The New European Order

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Secundus Imperium Romanum wrote:Giulia Maccini: However, if an original work is damaged, who will pay the loss? The fund for art, government, museum or the vandal itself?

Smith: Suppose that's a thing Greene didn't look into. I'll start doing research into that right away. Thank you.
The New European Order

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:13 pm

The New European Order wrote:

NORTH: It outlaws the "the showing of art that does not have showing consent from the artist". If you'd like it not to do that, rewrite the clause and directly specify the actor.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Secundus Imperium Romanum » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 am

The New European Order wrote:Smith: Suppose that's a thing Greene didn't look into. I'll start doing research into that right away. Thank you.

Giulia Maccini: Okay, I'm waiting for an answer.
Every day in Rome

The New European Order
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The New European Order » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Greene: I fixed everything, guys! Sorry for the inconvenience...
The New European Order

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

The New European Order wrote:Greene: I fixed everything, guys! Sorry for the inconvenience...

I know I might be missing something, but how is everything fixed? Clause 5 would still permit my nation to remove any piece of art from the exhibition, whether we donated it not, and Clause 6 would still require the reanimation of dead artists to give their consent for their works of art to be donated. Neither of these are what I would consider to be reasonable positions.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Covenstone wrote:
The New European Order wrote:Greene: I fixed everything, guys! Sorry for the inconvenience...

I know I might be missing something, but how is everything fixed? Clause 5 would still permit my nation to remove any piece of art from the exhibition, whether we donated it not, and Clause 6 would still require the reanimation of dead artists to give their consent for their works of art to be donated. Neither of these are what I would consider to be reasonable positions.

Deedee meanders in at this, and replies, "Really, those seem like pretty reasonable positions to me. Who wouldn't want to have dead artists brought back to life? Unrelated to those points however, I must oppose. I see no logical reason that this proposal fills, that could not be better served by mandating funding to museums."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly