NATION

PASSWORD

[LEGALITY CHALLENGE] Extrajudicial Punishment Ban

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Aclion wrote:As it has been a full week since this challenge has been raised I am formally a statement on it's status so as to prevent GenSec procedure from being used as a filibuster.

You realize they've sometimes taken well over a month to reach a decision?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:35 am

Araraukar wrote:
Aclion wrote:As it has been a full week since this challenge has been raised I am formally a statement on it's status so as to prevent GenSec procedure from being used as a filibuster.

You realize they've sometimes taken well over a month to reach a decision?

Yes but we don't know if they even intend to hear the case yet.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 am

Aclion wrote:
Araraukar wrote:You realize they've sometimes taken well over a month to reach a decision?

Yes but we don't know if they even intend to hear the case yet.

I take Sciongrad at his word. He has said to me that they will look at it, once finals and things in real life are done
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:37 am

If it helps, my initial read is that GAR #37 only covers cases where formal criminal charges have been filed in the member state's legal system or functional equivalent; and that GAR #9 only covers cases where the extrajudicial punishment in question is specifically​ intended to inflict pain or suffering (as opposed to a quick death, as in a lynching). My sense is that the challenged proposal doesn't violate either the contradiction or duplication rules. But we haven't discussed it amongst ourselves and that's my opinion only.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:52 am

Thyerata wrote:You're not GenSec so you have no power to do so. Sciongrad has told me that three of them have finals IRL, so they are going to wait until after then

And one of us has law school finals, which are extra grueling. :(

We don't filibuster challenges. We would like to see more debate among the regulars, but we are also waiting for teammates to recover from illness or family obligations. Chillax.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:And one of us has law school finals, which are extra grueling. :(

Finals? Do you realize it's been over 30 years since I last took a final?

Law school finals? Wait a second! Who appointed a lawyer (to be) on Gen Sec? What is this, you want professionalism or something? :lol:

Good luck everyone on your finals.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:If it helps, my initial read is that GAR #37 only covers cases where formal criminal charges have been filed in the member state's legal system or functional equivalent; and that GAR #9 only covers cases where the extrajudicial punishment in question is specifically​ intended to inflict pain or suffering (as opposed to a quick death, as in a lynching). My sense is that the challenged proposal doesn't violate either the contradiction or duplication rules. But we haven't discussed it amongst ourselves and that's my opinion only.

it's my opinion as well.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:If it helps, my initial read is that GAR #37 only covers cases where formal criminal charges have been filed in the member state's legal system or functional equivalent; and that GAR #9 only covers cases where the extrajudicial punishment in question is specifically​ intended to inflict pain or suffering (as opposed to a quick death, as in a lynching). My sense is that the challenged proposal doesn't violate either the contradiction or duplication rules. But we haven't discussed it amongst ourselves and that's my opinion only.

it's my opinion as well.

Depending on how badly the lynching does, that can be pretty painful, full of suffering and fairly torturous.

Just saying.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Thyerata wrote:You're not GenSec so you have no power to do so. Sciongrad has told me that three of them have finals IRL, so they are going to wait until after then

And one of us has law school finals, which are extra grueling. :(

We don't filibuster challenges. We would like to see more debate among the regulars, but we are also waiting for teammates to recover from illness or family obligations. Chillax.

That's sort of all well and good while the current challenges are non-urgent. Were someone to submit, say, a questionable repeal of GAR#2 or some sort of duplication/contradiction thereof, there'd be great craic!
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Thyerata wrote:you have no power to do so.

Clearly I do.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Aclion wrote:

Clearly I do.

Please read Separatist People's post above about not filibustering
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:32 pm

Good luck on law finals.
I apologize if I'm going to quick, I'm just excited about this proposal.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Aclion wrote:

Clearly I do.

This isn't a first time a mod has had to come in and tell you that what you've written is simultaneously annoying, useless and spammy.

*** One day ban ***

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Mon May 01, 2017 12:30 pm

Lara Qzu coughs. :meh:
Last edited by Bakhton on Mon May 01, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon May 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Bakhton wrote:Lara Qzu coughs. :meh:

We can do one of two things. Either formally put the legality challenge (and the resolution it's tied to) on hold until the Secretariat is back at full strength, or you can push your resolution through, but it means that this legality challenge continues, and the Secretariat will be pushed for time...

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Mon May 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Thyerata wrote:
Bakhton wrote:Lara Qzu coughs. :meh:

We can do one of two things. Either formally put the legality challenge (and the resolution it's tied to) on hold until the Secretariat is back at full strength, or you can push your resolution through, but it means that this legality challenge continues, and the Secretariat will be pushed for time...

Fret not friends, it seems we have a majority. Opinion forthcoming.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon May 01, 2017 1:56 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Thyerata wrote:

Fret not friends, it seems we have a majority. Opinion forthcoming.

Thanks Scion. I appreciate your effort to get this resolved quickly, notwithstanding the fact that you're up to your ears in RL exams (feel my sympathy)

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed May 03, 2017 10:32 am

*** General Assembly Secretariat Ruling ***

Challenged Proposal: Extrajudicial Punishment Ban
Date of Decision: 3 May 2017
Decision: Proposal is legal, 4-0 (Majority reached, votes pending)
Rules Applied: Duplication

Sciongrad, joined by Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricallia, and Glen-Rhodes, wrote the opinion:

The question before us is whether or not extrajudicial punishment has already been proscribed incidentally by broader requirements in extant legislation. The first contender is GAR#37, Fairness in Criminal Trials, which guarantees a right to a trial to all individuals accused of committing crimes. GAR#37 only requires that individuals charged with crimes be given a trial, however. To our knowledge, no resolution forbids punishing individuals outside of the formal legal system. Even GAR#323, No Penalty Without Law, only prevents member nations from punishing individuals where the law doesn't exist. Punishing someone for suspected political subversion, if that's illegal, through extrajudicial execution is not forbidden by any resolution. Recall GAR#112 once banned summary execution, which is a type of extrajudicial punishment.

With this in mind, we hold that the resolution does not, in fact, duplicate extant legislation.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Wed May 03, 2017 10:36 am

Sciongrad wrote:*** General Assembly Secretariat Ruling ***

Sciongrad, joined by Separatist Peoples, Sierra Lyricallia, and Glen-Rhodes, wrote the opinion:

The question before us is whether or not extrajudicial punishment has already been proscribed incidentally by broader requirements in extant legislation. The first contender is GAR#37, Fairness in Criminal Trials, which guarantees a right to a trial to all individuals accused of committing crimes. GAR#37 only requires that individuals charged with crimes be given a trial, however. To our knowledge, no resolution forbids punishing individuals outside of the formal legal system. Even GAR#323, No Penalty Without Law, only prevents member nations from punishing individuals where the law doesn't exist. Punishing someone for suspected political subversion, if that's illegal, through extrajudicial execution is not forbidden by any resolution. Recall GAR#112 once banned summary execution, which is a type of extrajudicial punishment.

With this in mind, we hold that the resolution does not, in fact, duplicate extant legislation.

Lara Qzu plays her victory music.
"Thank you General Secretariat!"
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 am

It was nothing more than a hunch that I wanted to test. As someone who respects the law, I accept this decision, notwithstanding the fact that it goes against me. Now that this has been cleared up, I fully support the resolution (not that I didn't support the concept of prohibiting extrajudicial punishment - I just wasn't sure if it had already been done)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 04, 2017 10:19 am

Sciongrad wrote:*** General Assembly Secretariat Ruling ***

Bears Armed considers this proposal legal on the simpler basis that the relevant existing legislation specifically limits offical extrajudicial punishments, whereas this proposal is aimed primarily at ensuring members act to limit unofficial extrajudicial punishments.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly