NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Act for the Protection of Miners

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Act for the Protection of Miners

Postby Marzicon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 am

[quote]Act for the Protection of Miners

Category: Health
Area of Effect: Healthcare
Proposed by: The Republic of Marzicon

The World Assembly,

Recognizing the dangers associated with mining operations,

Acknowledging that not all mining companies and organizations can be trusted with providing adequate mining safeties,

Keeping in mind the long-term health risks associated with mining,

HEREBY:

1. DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution:

- Operation: any site or location used by a mining organization for the purposes of substance extraction,
- Open-pit mining: a mining operation with a wide, deep hole is created in order to extract substances,

2. MANDATES that all member-states with a mining sector to hereby enact these changes:

- Regulations to mandate deep-surface mining operations and open-pit mining operations to have proper ventilation systems and other measures placed with the goal of stabilizing the air quality of the surrounding environment of toxic, mine-related gases and particles to 5000 parts-per-million,
- Require all mining employees, if they are carbon-based life forms, to be fully clothed and require employees to be wearing necessary additional safety equipment including but not limited to reflective jackets and air filtration systems,
- If need be, require robotic assistants and workers in the operation sites to be fully cleaned post-operation whilst maintaining a constant state of reliability through regular maintenance,
- Provide medical access and screenings for mining-specific illnesses including, but not limited to, respiratory infections and cancers,
- Require mining companies adequately pay their workers for their high-risk occupations through benefits and insurance plans which protect workers from the physical and medical dangers posed by mining operations,

3. ENCOURAGES that member-states create a safety board for the inspection of mining agencies and for the protection of miners,

4. CLARIFIES that this resolution also implies regulations be placed on any and all sectors that directly require the extraction of naturally occurring ground-based substances for the purpose of sale on the open market, and not to more artificially-created extraction industries, including but not limited to agriculture, in this regard,[/spoiler]

Edit 1: Changed "Mining" to "Environment" under Category
Edit 2: Added Clause 13
Edit 3: Changed "Environment" to "Human Rights" under Category
Edit 4: Changed "Human Rights" to "Environment" under Category
Edit 5: Rewrote Clause 1 to say "ground" in lieu of "Earth"
Edit 6: Rewrote Clause 12 to say "ground-based" in lieu of "Earth-based"
Edit 7: Revised the title of DRAFT to "Act for the Protection of Miners" in lieu of "Mining Standards Act"
Edit 8: Streamlined Clauses, places all definitions into Clause 1, and labels subsequent clauses accordingly
Edit 9: Changed "Environment" to "Health" under Category
Edit 10: Rewrote Clause 1's definitions for the purpose of demarcating the term being defined
Edit 11: Changed the Abbreviation of "WMS" to "WACOMS"
Edit 12: Changed abbreviation in Clause 2 from "ppm" to "parts-per-million"
Edit 13: Minor grammatical changes to preserve syntactical flow post-edits
Edit 14: Created "New Edition" of DRAFT, thus replacing the existing draft below. "New Edition" complies with the edits and ideas brought forth by Araraukar

Original Draft
Act for the Protection of Miners

Category: Health
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: The Republic of Marzicon

The World Assembly,

Recognizing the dangers associated with mining operations,

Acknowledging that not all mining companies and organizations can be trusted with providing adequate mining safeties,

Keeping in mind the long-term health risks associated with mining,

HEREBY:

1. DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution:

- Mining: the process of employing workers to extract substances from the ground,
- Substances: minerals, rocks, and elements which can be sold on the open market or to state governments,
- Operation: any site or location used by a mining organization for the purposes of substance extraction,
- Open-pit mining: a mining operation with a wide, deep hole is created in order to extract substances,
- Strip mining: a mining operation in which a rock layer of a substance at or close to the surface is extracted,
- Deep-surface mining: a mining operation in which a substance is extracted using tunnels and boreholes deeper than 50 meters below the surface,
- Post-operation: the period of permanent inactivity at a mining operation,

2. MANDATES that all member-states with a mining sector to hereby enact these changes:

- Regulations to mandate deep-surface mining operations and open-pit mining operations to have proper ventilation systems and other measures placed with the goal of stabilizing the air quality of the surrounding environment of non-atmospheric components to 5000 parts-per-million,
- Require all mining employees to be fully clothed and require employees to be wearing necessary additional safety equipment including but not limited to reflective jackets and air filtration systems,
- Provide medical access and screenings for mining-specific illnesses including, but not limited to, respiratory infections and cancers,
- Require mining companies adequately pay their workers for their high-risk occupations,
- Require open-pit mining operations post-operation to completely fill the site, and require the mining company to pay 100% for the cost of reclamation,
- Require strip mining operations post-operation be fully reclaimed, and require the mining company to pay 100% for reclamation the site, and 50% for the usage and production of the site post-operation,
- Require Deep-surface mining operations post-operation to be fully closed off to anyone and everyone using physical barriers which cannot be accessed,

3. ENCOURAGES that member-states create a safety board for the inspection of mining agencies and for the protection of miners,

4. RECOMMENDS that member states pass legislation ensuring transparency between their government safety board and mining organizations,

5. ALLOWS a member-state government to create incentives and/or other regulations with the purpose of bettering the conditions of mining operations,

6. CLARIFIES that this resolution also implies regulations be placed on any and all sectors that directly require the extraction of ground-based substances for the purpose of sale on the open market,

7. CREATES the World Assembly Committee on Mining Safety (WACOMS), with the purpose of providing oversight into the affairs and operations of mining operations with the intent of ensuring safe and reasonable procedures.
Last edited by Marzicon on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:27 am, edited 22 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am

OOC

Not too bad for a first draft, but...

1/ There's no 'Mining' category under current rules: However, you can specify Mining as the affected industry for 'Environmental' proposals, if that seems appropriate.
2/ Some bits of this are already covered by GA Resolution #7 'Workplace Safety Standards Act'.

Best wishes, and good luck!
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC

Not too bad for a first draft, but...

1/ There's no 'Mining' category under current rules: However, you can specify Mining as the affected industry for 'Environmental' proposals, if that seems appropriate.
2/ Some bits of this are already covered by GA Resolution #7 'Workplace Safety Standards Act'.

Best wishes, and good luck!

Thank you Bears.

If I may inquire, how could I follow through with your first proposal? I have no problem with the specificity of the problem under the "Environmental" proposal. In retrospect, this is more of a "Labor" proposal. Is there a happy medium there?

Second, you are correct about WA Res. #7, however the last clause does state that the resolution does not bar any stringent resolutions from being passed in the future. Seeing that this resolution is specific to the extraction sector of the economy and offers more specific changes to the workplace environment, I'd argue that this resolution falls under the "stringent" category.

Thank you for your input, Bears. I would enjoy working with you through this first draft.

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm

We are against this, all minors informed of the dangers to them keep up their work and choose to keep working there day after day, we don't need this.
Wealthatonian Ambassador JP Rockefeller

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:We are against this, all minors informed of the dangers to them keep up their work and choose to keep working there day after day, we don't need this.

But are they really? Most often, these miners are not well-educated. If they were, they wouldn't be in the mines. If they knew that the particles in these mines would cause respiratory issues that would shorten their lives by 20 years, I'd argue they wouldn't be down in the mines.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:00 pm

OOC: Have you checked GA #263, Uranium Mining Standards? Both to avoid contradiction/duplication as well as for inspiration.

EDIT: Also, how is this a Human Rights proposal? Also, the wording "require the extraction of Earth-based substances" sounds like you were referring to the planet Earth that we in real life live on. And thus it could be counted as Real Life Reference. If you simply meant stuff extracted from the ground, just make the E a lowercase. :)

I'll probably rip it apart later for detailed feedback, but right now haven't got the time.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Have you checked GA #263, Uranium Mining Standards? Both to avoid contradiction/duplication as well as for inspiration.

EDIT: Also, how is this a Human Rights proposal? Also, the wording "require the extraction of Earth-based substances" sounds like you were referring to the planet Earth that we in real life live on. And thus it could be counted as Real Life Reference. If you simply meant stuff extracted from the ground, just make the E a lowercase. :)

I'll probably rip it apart later for detailed feedback, but right now haven't got the time.

i'd maybe suggest changing "earth" for "ground" just to avoid any problems altogether. but - that aside - I kinda like this one. although if it is going to be about the people and not the act of mining (which is suggested by the Human Rights category choice) it might need a new title?
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:We are against this, all minors informed of the dangers to them keep up their work and choose to keep working there day after day, we don't need this.

Fairburn: Is that really how your nation treats working minors? You are aware of GA #4 a.k.a Restrictions on Child Labor, aren't you?
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:

Fairburn: Is that really how your nation treats working minors? You are aware of GA #4 a.k.a Restrictions on Child Labor, aren't you?

Oops, thank you pointing out my typo, fairburn. I indeed meant miners
Wealthatonian Ambassador JP Rockefeller

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Have you checked GA #263, Uranium Mining Standards? Both to avoid contradiction/duplication as well as for inspiration.

OOC: Thanks for your input, man. I've been researching these resolutions since Wednesday. Uranium mining caught my eye, and I did use it for inspiration, but I saw it as more of an environmental issue, not a Labor issue. Is there one?

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 pm

"Excuse me, but we already have legislation keeping minors out of dangerous workplaces, so this is duplication."
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Aclion wrote:"Excuse me, but we already have legislation keeping minors out of dangerous workplaces, so this is duplication."

"Did you mean 'minors' as in Children, or 'miners' as in workers who extract substances from the ground?"

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Marzicon wrote:
Aclion wrote:"Excuse me, but we already have legislation keeping minors out of dangerous workplaces, so this is duplication."

"Did you mean 'minors' as in Children, or 'miners' as in workers who extract substances from the ground?"

"I- oh..."
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:54 am

*nervously glances around the room*

"Look, I understand you all have your opinions on this topic. What do you guys think about the definitions? The safety standards? The committees?"

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am

OOC
Quick note: When you make significant changes to a draft proposal, the usual convention here is to
leave the previous versions in spoilers under the current version
for comparison.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
Quick note: When you make significant changes to a draft proposal, the usual convention here is to
leave the previous versions in spoilers under the current version
for comparison.

Okay. And many thanks, this is a new forum for me so I'm still getting acclimated. I will make the necessary changes. Thank you, Bears.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 pm

Marzicon wrote:*nervously glances around the room*

"Look, I understand you all have your opinions on this topic. What do you guys think about the definitions? The safety standards? The committees?"

Ambassador Pink, glancing at the draft, pipes up. "The definitions would be much easier to read if the defined words were distinguished from their definitions in some way; quotation marks would be easiest, but bold or italic text could be used as well." His robotic aide, K9, interjected: <Why not both?> "That too, but it's best not to get too flashy. I'm also irked that the committee acronym doesn't match it's name. I'd be drawn to WACMS or maybe even WACOMS. Wacoms. That's fun to say, too." He chuckled. "Oh, and one more thing:"

Marzicon wrote:
- Enact regulations to mandate deep-surface mining operations and open-pit mining operations to have proper ventilation systems and other measures placed in order to stabilize the air quality of the surrounding environment of non-atmospheric components to 5000 ppm

"That abbreviation may prove problematic, as there aren't standards for scientific terms WA wide. When I first looked at that, I thought it was a unit of pressure. It may be best to write 'parts per million' out fully to avoid such confusion."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:"That abbreviation may prove problematic, as there aren't standards for scientific terms WA wide."

*cough*
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Araraukar wrote:*cough*

*looks back at the now-revised draft* Do these changes adequately address the nuances?

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Whovian Tardisia wrote:"That abbreviation may prove problematic, as there aren't standards for scientific terms WA wide."

*cough*

*Looks back at the changes, again, but with a nervous sweat running down* "He he. Looks like I didn't need to make the changes. It would still do good to at least specify what I'm talking about, since not everyone knows immediately what ppm is..."

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Opposed. The Empire will not force companies to fill in mines on their property.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Opposed. The Empire will not force companies to fill in mines on their property.

*nervously glances at the intimidating delegate* "Hm... Perhaps if I added some clarification which specified that the mining company only has to do it if they leave the land, or would that not change your mind?"

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Wouldn't change the Empire's stance. The land is private property, atleast in the Empire. What the company does with the land when they are done mining is their business. Not the WA's or any foreign nations.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Wouldn't change the Empire's stance. The land is private property, atleast in the Empire. What the company does with the land when they are done mining is their business. Not the WA's or any foreign nations.

Completely understand.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Marzicon wrote:
Araraukar wrote:*cough*

*looks back at the now-revised draft* Do these changes adequately address the nuances?

OOC: That was meant at Whovia, who claimed there wasn't such a system. :P

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly