NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] World Assembly Agreement on Labor

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:56 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Aclion wrote:Oh that's easy enough to get around. You just need to phrase the clause differently. "No person shall be denied the right to seek and enjoy temporary or permanent employment in any member nation blah blah blah".
If nations don’t want to join the WA, they shouldn’t enjoy the rights that member states are given by the resolutions that the General Assembly passes.
Who said anything about nations? We're talking about people. People who are in a nonmember nation by accident of birth. They have just as much right to seek entry into our naitons as people from other member states. More in fact, considering the deplorable systems of government some of them are subject to.
Kenmoria wrote:It would also be very hard to give a guarantee of freedom of travel from member to non-member without running afoul of the rules.

I'm not suggesting it. Only from non-member to member, and even then, the mandate only applies to the member side. Think Korea.
Last edited by Aclion on Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 am

Aclion wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:If nations don’t want to join the WA, they shouldn’t enjoy the rights that member states are given by the resolutions that the General Assembly passes.
Who said anything about nations? We're talking about people. People who are in a nonmember nation by accident of birth. They have just as much right to seek entry into our naitons as people from other member states. More in fact, considering the deplorable systems of government some of them are subject to.

What do you want me to do about that? It's also unfair that inhabitants of WA member nations are entitled to extensive human rights when non-member nations are not, but we don't stop passing human rights resolutions because they don't also apply to non-member nations.

The ability to communicate effectively at all levels of society is vital for an individual to function effectively and integrate within society. Therefore, we request the removal of the language proficiency clause.

That makes a lot of unwarranted assumptions. Language proficiency is certainly ideal for assimilation, but there are many circumstances where assimilation is not necessary, and creating a blanket requirement that assumes assimilation as necessary for all foreign workers is overly restrictive. For instance, seasonal workers that migrate and work in a country for 3 months of the year should not need to become fluent in that country's language if they spend most of their time with other foreign, migratory workers and spend 75% of their time outside of the country. Workers that commute from one country to another for work (not at all uncommon in the EU, for instance) should not be expected to prepare for assimilation in a country they do not live in. Requiring seasonal strawberry pickers, for instance, to become fluent in another language as a prerequisite for work strikes me as unreasonably restrictive and easily open to abuse.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:30 am

Sciongrad wrote:
Aclion wrote: Who said anything about nations? We're talking about people. People who are in a nonmember nation by accident of birth. They have just as much right to seek entry into our naitons as people from other member states. More in fact, considering the deplorable systems of government some of them are subject to.

What do you want me to do about that? It's also unfair that inhabitants of WA member nations are entitled to extensive human rights when non-member nations are not, but we don't stop passing human rights resolutions because they don't also apply to non-member nations.

Oh I don't want you to do anything, and I doubt that you would if I asked. My comment was entirely dialectic, and directed at IA's "If we actually care about everyone" argument.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Lol, if you actually are going to go with the 'WA is utopia' argument, then how do you justify the 'Hordes of poor people will drown our country in a flood of brown people' argument? These are mutually exclusive. Moreover, insofar as we ought do good things, that something is not perfect is not a reason to not do it.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Lol, if you actually are going to go with the 'WA is utopia' argument, then how do you justify the 'Hordes of poor people will drown our country in a flood of brown people' argument? These are mutually exclusive. Moreover, insofar as we ought do good things, that something is not perfect is not a reason to not do it.

Boy, that sure is a heapin' helpin' of shit I didn't say.

Previous

Return to General Assembly