NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Extrajudicial Punishment Ban

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:43 pm

I've somehow managed to overlook the defining clause. I would use the term extrajudicial punishment rather then vigilante justice if that is what your focus is.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:24 am

I would like to remind everyone that bakhatan is most likely led by a supervillain and thus not a form of legitimate government
Wealthatonian Ambassador JP Rockefeller

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:30 am

Wealthatonia wrote:I would like to remind everyone that bakhatan is most likely led by a supervillain and thus not a form of legitimate government

"And I would to reiterate that having a government led by a Supervillian is a perfectly legitimate form of government."

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:I would like to remind everyone that bakhatan is most likely led by a supervillain and thus not a form of legitimate government

"We do not have a leader, we are run by a Congress. It's highly inefficient."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:

"And I would to reiterate that having a government led by a Supervillian is a perfectly legitimate form of government."

villains tend to be corrupt and abuse human rights.

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Bakhton wrote:

SEE WHAT I MEAN! Only a super villain would want an inefficient government

_[' ]_

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Bakhton wrote:

Bat-cat: *in a low, gravely voice* "A congress of supervillains?"

Teran Saber: "How the heck did you get in here?"

Ra'lingth: "He'sss Bat-cat. What did you exsspect?"
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:08 pm

The Greater Siriusian Domain wrote:Bat-cat: *in a low, gravely voice* "A congress of supervillains?"

Fairburn: Gah! It's Catwoman!
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Something must be done to stop Bakhatan from its own supervilains

_[' ]_

Tinfect Diplomatic Enclave
Attaché

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tinfect Diplomatic Enclave » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Bakhton wrote:No member nation shall allow for the occurrence of vigilante justice through refusing to enact proper legal punitive measures on those who enact extrajudicial punishments on their victims.
All member nations must make vigilante justice a criminal offence subject to the sentencing of the differing jurisdictions of their respective legal systems.
Clarifies that nothing in this legislation criminalizes good bystanders interfering in criminal activity until the appropriate representatives of the law arrive to arrest the suspected individuals,

Again, Feren steps forward to begin the Imperial Statement, this being yet another matter of simple Imperial Law; "The Imperium must note that it finds it to be quite difficult to find justification for such things to quite the extent you desire. Were someone committing a criminal justifying a violent self-defense, such as attempting the act of murder themselves, or other such act of extreme violence or violation, we can hardly criminalize the self-defense of the victim simply because it resulted in the death of the criminal. Of course, we understand your intent, the legal protection of groups targeted by social discrimination, but we believe this legislation could be amended to better serve that goal. To this end, we have prepared an altered version of the final effective clause that may be of use to you."

Clarifies that nothing in this legislation criminalizes good bystanders interfering in criminal activity until the appropriate representatives of the law arrive to arrest the suspected individuals, or otherwise defending themselves or others from an individual engaged in violent criminal activity, subject to relevant national law,

With that, Seretis steps forward to close out the Imperial Statement; "As has been, hopefully, made clear, we cannot at this time support this legislation. Given specific alterations as specified previously, this situation may change. As such, we offer a conditional support, with assurances of future consideration."
Obvious puppet of Tinfect.
Official holdings are a 1x1 atom space within orbit of New Harron, Imperial Interior Territories.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female

Imperium Central News Network: Fourth Fleet assets mobilized to Exterior Territories | Military Oversight opens full recruitment | Civil Oversight authorizes update of Internal Security Locust units |  Indomitable Bastard #283

Nation stats have no power here!

Kalata
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalata » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm

If you believe that the administration of justice necessary cannot involve vigilantes, this issue of vigilante justice has already been resolved. As vigilantes necessarily cannot administer justice, it is impossible for vigilante justice to exist in the first place. You may as well just talk about extrajudicial punishment.
Teh Duel Confederasy uv Kalata. Wun consulat, wun empire, eternalee yewnaited.
Livia Iradulina Velnax

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:03 am

Wealthatonia wrote:Something must be done to stop Bakhatan from its own supervilains

Wouldn't that be the textbook definition of "National Sovereignty Violation"?
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:25 am

Kalata wrote:If you believe that the administration of justice necessary cannot involve vigilantes, this issue of vigilante justice has already been resolved. As vigilantes necessarily cannot administer justice, it is impossible for vigilante justice to exist in the first place. You may as well just talk about extrajudicial punishment.

Well that is what is being talked about, but the proposal refers to extrajudicial punishment as vigilante justice. I agree that using the term extrajudicial punishment would be preferable, both for clarity and so there is no attempt to evade the terms of the resolution in cases where the individuals are law enforcement officers.
Last edited by Aclion on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:15 am

I entirely support this proposal. Given the witch burnings that have been known to go on in Covenstone's past I think stopping vigilante or extra-judicail punishment or people being thrown on bonfires in the future would be a very good thing.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Covenstone wrote:I entirely support this proposal. Given the witch burnings that have been known to go on in Covenstone's past I think stopping vigilante or extra-judicail punishment or people being thrown on bonfires in the future would be a very good thing.

If a super powered indivudual enacts justice, it is surely necessary.

_[' ]_

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:51 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:
Covenstone wrote:I entirely support this proposal. Given the witch burnings that have been known to go on in Covenstone's past I think stopping vigilante or extra-judicail punishment or people being thrown on bonfires in the future would be a very good thing.

aren't Magneto, Doc-Oc, Lord Voldemort, Doctor Doom and Loki all super powered individuals who enact their version of justice against the populace?
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:

Fairburn (dressed as Batman): On the contrary, justice is only necessary when enacted by a vigilante without special powers.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Covenstone wrote:
Wealthatonia wrote:

aren't Magneto, Doc-Oc, Lord Voldemort, Doctor Doom and Loki all super powered individuals who enact their version of justice against the populace?

I don't think Magneto is a villain, he is fighting for his people to NOT be murdered.

Also, Doctor Doom is literally told he's the best hope for the future of mankind. So he's not a villain either, he does run his country pretty well

_[' ]_

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:41 am

Wealthatonia wrote:
Covenstone wrote:

I don't think Magneto is a villain, he is fighting for his people to NOT be murdered.

Also, Doctor Doom is literally told he's the best hope for the future of mankind. So he's not a villain either, he does run his country pretty well

did I use the word villain? i was just talking about a group of people who have super powers and enact a version of justice that some people don't like.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 am

Wealthatonia wrote:I don't think Magneto is a villain, he is fighting for his people to NOT be murdered.

OOC: Depends on hold old the Magneto version we're talking about is... and he's not above murdering his own people who are trying to keep him from murdering other people. Believe me, I've read the comics.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:03 am

Araraukar wrote:
Wealthatonia wrote:I don't think Magneto is a villain, he is fighting for his people to NOT be murdered.

OOC: Depends on hold old the Magneto version we're talking about is... and he's not above murdering his own people who are trying to keep him from murdering other people. Believe me, I've read the comics.

Well that's disappointing.

_[' ]_

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:07 am

Wealthatonia wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:"And I would to reiterate that having a government led by a Supervillian is a perfectly legitimate form of government."

villains tend to be corrupt and abuse human rights.

"And here I was thinking that you were going to say that only a Supervillian would try to ban vigilantes. Dictators, bureaucrats, really any sapient being can be corrupt and abuse human rights. Many dictators do that all the time, without being even close to being a Supervillian."

"Regardless of how the sovereign nation of Bakhton is run, I find no reason to support this resolution. I may not have met my husband if vigilante activity was banned, plus chaos is fun to watch."

OOC: Added an image of Deedee in my sig, since she doesn't exactly look normal. :p
Doctor Doom doesn't entirely count, partially because he does run a country (Latveria) which he gained through popular revolution, and the current populace more or less likes him. Also, Doom's Day replaces Christmas :p

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm

the slight diversion about super villains (and super people in general) aside, my people - even the ones that like burning witches - generally like to follow the rule of law. So banning vigilante justice is something we would support.

Wealthatonia
Envoy

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Wealthatonia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Covenstone wrote:the slight diversion about super villains (and super people in general) aside, my people - even the ones that like burning witches - generally like to follow the rule of law. So banning vigilante justice is something we would support.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

_[' ]_

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:
Covenstone wrote:the slight diversion about super villains (and super people in general) aside, my people - even the ones that like burning witches - generally like to follow the rule of law. So banning vigilante justice is something we would support.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

then explain it to me. There is nothing i enjoy more than having things explained to me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives