NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Extrajudicial Punishment Ban

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 am

I wouldn't submit this until this legality challenge is resolved
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle
Attaché

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 am

Hereby defines:

Extrajudicial punishment as punishment apart from a formal legal system, for those suspected of criminality or transgressions against society or persons.

Hereby mandates:

No member nation shall allow for the occurrence of extrajudicial punishment through refusing to enact proper legal punitive measures on those who enact extrajudicial punishments on suspected individuals.

All member nations must make extrajudicial punishment a criminal or civil offence subject to the sentencing of the differing jurisdictions of their respective legal systems.

Clarifies that nothing in this legislation criminalizes interference in criminal activity until the appropriate representatives of the law arrive to arrest the suspected individuals, as long as those individuals do call upon those representatives within a reasonable amount of time.

A small-ish purple pony, wings and horn included, materializes in the drafting chamber with a flash of pink light.

"Let's see, what do we have here..." Princess Twilight Sparkle begins, quickly reading over the draft on the table before her. "Now, I would like some clarification here. My nation lacks a formal law enforcement agency. We have Royal Guardsponies who sometimes keep the peace, but they aren't really for general law enforcement, just for martial law. And then some townships appoint a Sheriff, who appoints deputies, and generally they keep their town free of crime... but most of the nation relies on the actions of ordinary ponies to stop lawbreakers and villains. Would we be required to criminalize such actions? What would we even do to such citizens if they broke anti-extrajudicial punishment laws and continued to exact punishment on criminals?"

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:43 pm

"We feel the proposal needs some work to acheive its aims. Particularly the definition clause needs to be tightened up to exclude the chastisement of errant children while an employer might also want to dismiss employees for gross misconduct without necessarily calling in the civic guards."

- Cde Brian
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle wrote:"Let's see, what do we have here..." Princess Twilight Sparkle begins, quickly reading over the draft on the table before her. "Now, I would like some clarification here. My nation lacks a formal law enforcement agency. We have Royal Guardsponies who sometimes keep the peace, but they aren't really for general law enforcement, just for martial law. And then some townships appoint a Sheriff, who appoints deputies, and generally they keep their town free of crime... but most of the nation relies on the actions of ordinary ponies to stop lawbreakers and villains. Would we be required to criminalize such actions? What would we even do to such citizens if they broke anti-extrajudicial punishment laws and continued to exact punishment on criminals?"

Do you rely on ordinary ponies to enact punishment on lawbreakers or only to citizens arrest? Because the latter is specifically protected.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Bananaistan wrote:"We feel the proposal needs some work to acheive its aims. Particularly the definition clause needs to be tightened up to exclude the chastisement of errant children while an employer might also want to dismiss employees for gross misconduct without necessarily calling in the civic guards."

- Cde Brian

"Will work on this."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle wrote:
Hereby defines:

Extrajudicial punishment as punishment apart from a formal legal system, for those suspected of criminality or transgressions against society or persons.

Hereby mandates:

No member nation shall allow for the occurrence of extrajudicial punishment through refusing to enact proper legal punitive measures on those who enact extrajudicial punishments on suspected individuals.

All member nations must make extrajudicial punishment a criminal or civil offence subject to the sentencing of the differing jurisdictions of their respective legal systems.

Clarifies that nothing in this legislation criminalizes interference in criminal activity until the appropriate representatives of the law arrive to arrest the suspected individuals, as long as those individuals do call upon those representatives within a reasonable amount of time.

A small-ish purple pony, wings and horn included, materializes in the drafting chamber with a flash of pink light.

"Let's see, what do we have here..." Princess Twilight Sparkle begins, quickly reading over the draft on the table before her. "Now, I would like some clarification here. My nation lacks a formal law enforcement agency. We have Royal Guardsponies who sometimes keep the peace, but they aren't really for general law enforcement, just for martial law. And then some townships appoint a Sheriff, who appoints deputies, and generally they keep their town free of crime... but most of the nation relies on the actions of ordinary ponies to stop lawbreakers and villains. Would we be required to criminalize such actions? What would we even do to such citizens if they broke anti-extrajudicial punishment laws and continued to exact punishment on criminals?"

"Those sheriffs would be considered the appropriate representatives of the law. First clarification clause covers the second objection. They can stop crime but they must alert the representatives of the law within a reasonable time period."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle
Attaché

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Aclion wrote:Do you rely on ordinary ponies to enact punishment on lawbreakers or only to citizens arrest? Because the latter is specifically protected.

"The former, sir." Twilight Sparkle replies. "For the most part, ordinary ponies such as you or I- er, well, such as myself, are responsible for ensuring the safety of Equestria. Why, I remember one time, where a few of my close friends and I made matching costumes and pretended to be one masked hero... the Mysterious Mare Do Well, and- but I digress."

Bakhton wrote:"Those sheriffs would be considered the appropriate representatives of the law. First clarification clause covers the second objection. They can stop crime but they must alert the representatives of the law within a reasonable time period."

Twilight looks confused. "But what representatives of the law would they alert? The Sheriffs of some other town, to deal with something hundreds of miles away and not even in their jurisdiction, that can't be right. There isn't anyone they could reasonably alert, besides other civilians."

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 am

Aclion wrote:Do you rely on ordinary ponies to enact punishment on lawbreakers or only to citizens arrest? Because the latter is specifically protected.

"The former, sir." Twilight Sparkle replies. "For the most part, ordinary ponies such as you or I- er, well, such as myself, are responsible for ensuring the safety of Equestria. Why, I remember one time, where a few of my close friends and I made matching costumes and pretended to be one masked hero... the Mysterious Mare Do Well, and- but I digress."

Bakhton wrote:"Those sheriffs would be considered the appropriate representatives of the law. First clarification clause covers the second objection. They can stop crime but they must alert the representatives of the law within a reasonable time period."

Twilight looks confused. "But what representatives of the law would they alert? The Sheriffs of some other town, to deal with something hundreds of miles away and not even in their jurisdiction, that can't be right. There isn't anyone they could reasonably alert, besides other civilians."

"Then your nation falls under the clarification of not having a formal legal system."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am

"Draft III is up!"
Thyerata wrote:I wouldn't submit this until this legality challenge is resolved

"It appears this has largely been resolved as legal, unless anyone has further dispute."
Last edited by Bakhton on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Bakhton wrote:"Draft III is up!"
Thyerata wrote:I wouldn't submit this until this legality challenge is resolved

"It appears this has largely been resolved as legal, unless anyone has further dispute."

Not so. GenSec haven't ruled on it yet, so we can't presume anything

OOC: Scion, SP and Bears are in my region. I've heard from Scion that three of them have RL commitments (finals), so they're going to wait a bit.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:54 pm

Thyerata wrote:
Bakhton wrote:"Draft III is up!"

OOC: Scion, SP and Bears are in my region. I've heard from Scion that three of them have RL commitments (finals), so they're going to wait a bit.

OOC: No they're not. GenSec doesn't really choose to rule on things until they reach quorum most of the time. Sciongrad and Imperium Anglorum have already stated the duplication claim is frivolous.
Last edited by Bakhton on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Bakhton wrote:
Thyerata wrote:

OOC: No they're not. GenSec doesn't really choose to rule on things until they reach quorum most of the time. Sciongrad and Imperium Anglorum have already stated the duplication claim is frivolous.

OOC: regional discord channel says otherwise

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Thyerata wrote:OOC: regional discord channel says otherwise

OOC: Then surely one of them can pop in to say "Yes, Thye is correct"?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:33 pm

GenSec ruling going on. This proposal may be a little bit before getting moving again, which is fine. Thanks for the support!
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Wed May 03, 2017 10:38 am

"This proposal has been ruled legal by the powers that be. Time to get back on board with Draft III." Lara blows the dust off her proposal.
Last edited by Bakhton on Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Wed May 03, 2017 10:51 am

Bakhton wrote:"This proposal has been ruled legal by the powers that be. Time to get back on board with Draft III." Lara blows the dust off her proposal.

Congratulations, Mr/Mrs/I have forgotten the correct mode of address (apologies) Ambassador/Delegate/etc. You can count on my continued, if very small, support as this proceeds.
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Wed May 03, 2017 2:31 pm

OOC: I believe the strength would be mild, I originally had it at significant, but I think it's better at mild. Any thoughts?
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed May 03, 2017 4:19 pm

"Then yes if you are doing that outside of a formal legal system that would extrajudicial punishment, and horrible. Though, as an aside I was under the impression that you and your close friends were not ordinary at all. And I don't believe that recusing civilians from the consequences of poor infrastructure maintenance constitutes punishment, extrajudicial or not."

Bakhton wrote:OOC: I believe the strength would be mild, I originally had it at significant, but I think it's better at mild. Any thoughts?

Mild seems more appropriate to me, though it mostly depends on how you interpret the scope of the proposal. I fully expect to see anther frivolous challenge regardless of category.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm

OOC: Any objections to submitting?
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Tinfect Diplomatic Enclave
Attaché

Founded: Mar 08, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Tinfect Diplomatic Enclave » Fri May 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Bakhton wrote:OOC: Any objections to submitting?

OOC:
Just the one; it doesn't appear that this draft contains any provisions for criminals killed by law-enforcement to prevent them from committing, or continuing to commit, a crime. I suspect you'd rather avoid police being arrested for eliminating a mass-shooter so as to avoid them opening fire on a bus of schoolchildren.
Obvious puppet of Tinfect.
Official holdings are a 1x1 atom space within orbit of New Harron, Imperial Interior Territories.
Raslin Seretis, Imperial Diplomatic Envoy, Male
Tolarn Feren, Civil Oversight Representative, Male
Jasot Rehlan, Military Oversight Representative, Female

Imperium Central News Network: Fourth Fleet assets mobilized to Exterior Territories | Military Oversight opens full recruitment | Civil Oversight authorizes update of Internal Security Locust units |  Indomitable Bastard #283

Nation stats have no power here!

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Tinfect Diplomatic Enclave wrote:

OOC:
Just the one; it doesn't appear that this draft contains any provisions for criminals killed by law-enforcement to prevent them from committing, or continuing to commit, a crime. I suspect you'd rather avoid police being arrested for eliminating a mass-shooter so as to avoid them opening fire on a bus of schoolchildren.

OOC: I'm not sure what part of the proposal would infer that. Could you specify where this concern arises in the text so I can make it better.
EDIT: As well, wouldn't police officers ending conflict fall within normal legal jurisdiction?
Last edited by Bakhton on Fri May 05, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Fri May 05, 2017 10:55 pm

"I still think that the definition clause needs to be tightened up. I know you changed it on foot of my last comment but at the moment it would still allow the mob to cause physical or mental harm to their target which is not excessive. There must be a way to state it such that the any harm, no matter how small, cannot be caused by those not in authority to do so while still allowing but restraining the harm caused by legitimate chastisement by parents or employers or superior officers and avoiding the whole corporal punishment issue. Bananaistan would have no problem should this effectively prohibit corporal punishment but I do recall a delegation previously proposing such a ban running into serious opposition."

- Ted
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Fri May 05, 2017 11:41 pm

Bananaistan wrote:

"I still think that the definition clause needs to be tightened up. I know you changed it on foot of my last comment but at the moment it would still allow the mob to cause physical or mental harm to their target which is not excessive. There must be a way to state it such that the any harm, no matter how small, cannot be caused by those not in authority to do so while still allowing but restraining the harm caused by legitimate chastisement by parents or employers or superior officers and avoiding the whole corporal punishment issue. Bananaistan would have no problem should this effectively prohibit corporal punishment but I do recall a delegation previously proposing such a ban running into serious opposition."

- Ted

"Will do!"
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Bakhton
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Bananaistan wrote:

- Ted

"Does the definition work for you?"
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 pm

"Ambassador, this seems to still prohibit parents from administering corporal punishment. Your proposal says that it makes no statement on 'proper parenting', but that doesn't satisfy my concerns about such a prohibition."
Last edited by Wallenburg on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives