NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Stock Exchanges and Foreign Investment

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
United Federated States of Omega
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 106
Founded: Sep 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Stock Exchanges and Foreign Investment

Postby United Federated States of Omega » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:59 pm

"Honorable members of the General Assembly I wish to present the following draft before you for your feedback on the legality and content of this proposal," said Mr. Xavier before presenting his proposal to the Assembly.
Stock Exchanges and Foreign Investment
Category: Free Trade
Strength: Mild

Recognizing that stock exchanges provide corporations and governments the ability to raise funds,

Further recognizing that there is a significant amount of capital that could be invested outside of any given country’s borders,

Also noting that nations which have invested in the economies of other nations are less likely to enter an armed conflict,

Acknowledging that there are certain barriers, like exchange rates, to international investment,

Believing that foreign investment provides a way for corporations and governments to raise more funds than may have been previously available to them, hereby:

  1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution,
    1. 'stock' as a portion of ownership in a corporation,
    2. 'bond' as a certificate showing the ownership of a specific amount of debt to be paid back, with interest, at a later date specified at the time the bond was bought,
    3. 'tradable derivative' as a tradable contract, which derives value from specific currencies, commodities or stocks,
    4. 'security' as a document, be it physical or otherwise, attesting to the ownership of stocks, bonds, or a tradable derivative,
    5. 'stock exchange' as a platform, be it physical or otherwise, on which securities are bought and sold, and
  2. Recommends that all stock exchanges headquartered within a member state shall be open to the citizens of any World Assembly member state unless this section is:
    1. waived between the investors and exchanges of nations engaged in a direct military conflict, embargo, or as part of sanctions, or
    2. waived for any specific individual or group that has been found guilty of a crime related to the buying and/or selling of securities or any individual or group found guilty of a crime that was facilitated by the buying and/or selling of securities;
    3. waived for any specific individual or group that has violated WA legislation
  3. Establishes the International Securities and Exchange Commission (ISEC) to develop, maintain, and publish a model code of securities regulations, which may act as a guide for member state governments;

  4. Empowers the ISEC to regulate the exchanges on which currencies are traded to prevent artificial manipulation of the exchange rate and to ensure that these exchanges operate without bias toward the citizens of any one nation.

  5. Reserves the right for member states to implement whatever regulations they see fit on domestic exchanges, within the confines of current WA legislation.


Edit 1: fixed minor grammatical errors in definition of security and in "Believing" clause
Edit 2: added "Also noting" clause. Added 1.b and 3.a.
Edit 3: Reworded 3.
Edit 4: combined definitions into providing clause, reworded section 3.a
Edit 5: Reworded 1, added to 3.a and added 4.
Edit 6: Removed 2, renumbered
Edit 7: Reformatted to fit with standard formatting (thanks Imperium Anglorum) and removed the definition of brokerage.
Edit 8: Changed Mandates in section 2 to Recommends, strength downgraded to mild.
Edot 9: Added 2.c
Edit 10: Changed international law to WA legislation.
Last edited by Wrapper on Sat May 13, 2017 10:43 am, edited 24 times in total.
Reason: MODEDIT: passed.
Founder of the APC in TSP

Mr. Alexander Xavier- Leader of the Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Author of GAR #401

"If you had less friends, you'd probably be running TSP by now"-Solorni
"I don't know who you are but I think I like you" -Consular

What's next?

User avatar
Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 9977
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:15 pm

I like this idea. :)

United Federated States of Omega wrote:Acknowledging that there are certain barriers, like exchange rates, to international investment,

Okay, what does your proposal do about such barriers?

United Federated States of Omega wrote:Believing that foreign investment provides a way for corporations and governments to easily raise more funds than may have been previously available to them,

You're splitting the infinitive here.

United Federated States of Omega wrote:Further defining a security as a document, be it physical or otherwise, attesting the ownership of stocks, bonds, or a tradable derivative,

This clause needs to be slightly rewritten. My suggestion: "Further defining a security as a document, be it physical or otherwise, attesting to the ownership of a stock, bond, or tradable derivative."

United Federated States of Omega wrote:Also defining a brokerage as any financial institution or entity allowed to buy or sell securities on a stock exchange,

You need a better definition for a brokerage.

United Federated States of Omega wrote:1. That all national stock exchanges shall be open to the citizens of any World Assembly member state.

Why are non-citizens excluded?

United Federated States of Omega wrote:3. The International Securities and Exchange Commission, hereafter referred to as ISEC, shall be established to aid nations in determining regulations for their own stock exchanges and brokerages.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the reason for establishing this commission.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:20 pm

I suspect that Clause 1 might also need to include "and you can also prevent known criminals and fraudsters from investing as well" (although probably in better language) because honestly if someone has a history of dishonest and fraudulent dealings, I would like to be able to ban them from my stock exchange as a general precaution.

(Note - I am not suggesting those who are suspected but not convicted - just people with actual convictions for doing naughty things in relation to money. But on the topic of people doing bad things - what about companies and/or people that you know are somehow manipulating the market, companies that are suspected/known of being front for terrorist/Mafia/other organised crime groups and so forth? Are you permitted to ban them?)
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

User avatar
United Federated States of Omega
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 106
Founded: Sep 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federated States of Omega » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:Acknowledging that there are certain barriers, like exchange rates, to international investment,

Okay, what does your proposal do about such barriers?

Well at this point not much. I was just kind of noting that they exist. I could always have the ISEC manage exchange rates to help facilitate trade.

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:Believing that foreign investment provides a way for corporations and governments to easily raise more funds than may have been previously available to them,

You're splitting the infinitive here.

Fixed I think.

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:Further defining a security as a document, be it physical or otherwise, attesting the ownership of stocks, bonds, or a tradable derivative,

This clause needs to be slightly rewritten. My suggestion: "Further defining a security as a document, be it physical or otherwise, attesting to the ownership of a stock, bond, or tradable derivative."

Also fixed. Thank you for the suggestion.

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:Also defining a brokerage as any financial institution or entity allowed to buy or sell securities on a stock exchange,

You need a better definition for a brokerage.

So here is the dictionary definition: "a company that buys or sells goods or assets for clients" I thought I was able to adapt it but apparently not. I am not really sure a good way to adapt the definition for the purposes of this resolution beyond what I had.

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:1. That all national stock exchanges shall be open to the citizens of any World Assembly member state.

Why are non-citizens excluded?

For no good reason. I could make it residents but then you run the risk of people who are not citizens of a WA nation moving to WA nation to have access to all of these assets.

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:3. The International Securities and Exchange Commission, hereafter referred to as ISEC, shall be established to aid nations in determining regulations for their own stock exchanges and brokerages.

I'm not sure that I fully understand the reason for establishing this commission.

Well, so my idea was that it would able to help regulate what securities are allowed onto markets however I'm afraid that might be illegal. Putting an international body in place to help nations develop regulations may, over time, lead to more uniform regulations, wich would over time allow for more cross-exchange trading.

Calladan wrote:I suspect that Clause 1 might also need to include "and you can also prevent known criminals and fraudsters from investing as well" (although probably in better language) because honestly if someone has a history of dishonest and fraudulent dealings, I would like to be able to ban them from my stock exchange as a general precaution.

(Note - I am not suggesting those who are suspected but not convicted - just people with actual convictions for doing naughty things in relation to money. But on the topic of people doing bad things - what about companies and/or people that you know are somehow manipulating the market, companies that are suspected/known of being front for terrorist/Mafia/other organised crime groups and so forth? Are you permitted to ban them?)

Perhaps we could make it where individual nations could be able to ban people convicted of financial crimes from trading? Language idea, "Any nation may ban an individual or group that has been found guilty of a crime related to the buying and selling of securities."
Founder of the APC in TSP

Mr. Alexander Xavier- Leader of the Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Author of GAR #401

"If you had less friends, you'd probably be running TSP by now"-Solorni
"I don't know who you are but I think I like you" -Consular

What's next?

User avatar
Calladan
Minister
 
Posts: 3064
Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:25 pm

United Federated States of Omega wrote:
Calladan wrote:I suspect that Clause 1 might also need to include "and you can also prevent known criminals and fraudsters from investing as well" (although probably in better language) because honestly if someone has a history of dishonest and fraudulent dealings, I would like to be able to ban them from my stock exchange as a general precaution.

(Note - I am not suggesting those who are suspected but not convicted - just people with actual convictions for doing naughty things in relation to money. But on the topic of people doing bad things - what about companies and/or people that you know are somehow manipulating the market, companies that are suspected/known of being front for terrorist/Mafia/other organised crime groups and so forth? Are you permitted to ban them?)

Perhaps we could make it where individual nations could be able to ban people convicted of financial crimes from trading? Language idea, "Any nation may ban an individual or group that has been found guilty of a crime related to the buying and selling of securities."


That would do for the first part, but what if their crime was not related specifically to securities? (If a banned organisation use the stock market to fund their activities, then arguably they are not committing crimes relating to that, but the fact they are using it to fund blowing up buildings and kidnapping people for ransom and/or slavery related stuff means we should be able to suspend their trading, wouldn't you say?) (And on a similar note, if Globodex went bankrupt to avoid paying their employees, then came back as Hypermega Corp and started trading again with the same directors, should we be allowed to suspend shares in their company, even though their crime was not security related?) (That is more of an ethical question I guess?)
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

User avatar
United Federated States of Omega
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 106
Founded: Sep 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federated States of Omega » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Calladan wrote:That would do for the first part, but what if their crime was not related specifically to securities? (If a banned organisation use the stock market to fund their activities, then arguably they are not committing crimes relating to that, but the fact they are using it to fund blowing up buildings and kidnapping people for ransom and/or slavery related stuff means we should be able to suspend their trading, wouldn't you say?) (And on a similar note, if Globodex went bankrupt to avoid paying their employees, then came back as Hypermega Corp and started trading again with the same directors, should we be allowed to suspend shares in their company, even though their crime was not security related?) (That is more of an ethical question I guess?)

So I would say that those are crimes related to the buying and selling of securities. What if the language was written like this: Any nation may ban an individual or group that has been found guilty of a crime related to the buying and selling of securities or any individual or group where a crime was facilitated through the buying and selling of securities.
The second part is interesting and I think that should lie within national jurisdiction.
Last edited by United Federated States of Omega on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of the APC in TSP

Mr. Alexander Xavier- Leader of the Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Author of GAR #401

"If you had less friends, you'd probably be running TSP by now"-Solorni
"I don't know who you are but I think I like you" -Consular

What's next?

User avatar
Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 9977
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 pm

United Federated States of Omega wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I'm not sure that I fully understand the reason for establishing this commission.

Well, so my idea was that it would able to help regulate what securities are allowed onto markets however I'm afraid that might be illegal. Putting an international body in place to help nations develop regulations may, over time, lead to more uniform regulations, wich would over time allow for more cross-exchange trading.

Perhaps, your resolution could task the International Securities and Exchange Commission with establishing a uniform code of securities regulations, on which individual nations could base their own securities regulations. For instance:

The International Securities and Exchange Commission (ISEC) shall be established; and it shall develop, maintain, and publish a model code of securities regulations, which may act as a guide for member state governments.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Jarish Inyo
Diplomat
 
Posts: 981
Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Why should nations be forced to open their stock markets to foreign investors?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

User avatar
United Federated States of Omega
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 106
Founded: Sep 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federated States of Omega » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 am

Christian Democrats wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:Well, so my idea was that it would able to help regulate what securities are allowed onto markets however I'm afraid that might be illegal. Putting an international body in place to help nations develop regulations may, over time, lead to more uniform regulations, wich would over time allow for more cross-exchange trading.

Perhaps, your resolution could task the International Securities and Exchange Commission with establishing a uniform code of securities regulations, on which individual nations could base their own securities regulations. For instance:

The International Securities and Exchange Commission (ISEC) shall be established; and it shall develop, maintain, and publish a model code of securities regulations, which may act as a guide for member state governments.

Do you mind if I use that wording in the resolution? And if I do, do I need to recognize you as a co-author?
Also I am going to reorganize the clauses of the enacts section to put the ISEC first.

Jarish Inyo wrote:Why should nations be forced to open their stock markets to foreign investors?

The reason I am proposing this resolution is due to the fact that by opening up markets it allows corporations and governments to easily raise more capital. One other reason is that nations that trade together and invest in the well-being of each other generally tend to not declare war against each other. I will be adding a clause on that last part to the resolution.
Last edited by United Federated States of Omega on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of the APC in TSP

Mr. Alexander Xavier- Leader of the Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Author of GAR #401

"If you had less friends, you'd probably be running TSP by now"-Solorni
"I don't know who you are but I think I like you" -Consular

What's next?

User avatar
Wealthatonia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 183
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wealthatonia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am

This is a great idea! I hope that this resolution will be passed as it would be fantastic for our middle class and wealthy citizens
Wealthatonian Ambassador JP Rockefeller

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

User avatar
Jarish Inyo
Diplomat
 
Posts: 981
Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm not asking why you're proposing this. I'm asking why nations should be forced to open their stock markets to foreign investors if the do not want foreign investors? After all, not all nations desire to trade with other nations nor have foreigners involved in domestic trading.
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

User avatar
Christian Democrats
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 9977
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:31 pm

United Federated States of Omega wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Perhaps, your resolution could task the International Securities and Exchange Commission with establishing a uniform code of securities regulations, on which individual nations could base their own securities regulations. For instance:

The International Securities and Exchange Commission (ISEC) shall be established; and it shall develop, maintain, and publish a model code of securities regulations, which may act as a guide for member state governments.

Do you mind if I use that wording in the resolution? And if I do, do I need to recognize you as a co-author?

You may use the wording that I've suggested, and you don't have to recognize me as a coauthor.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
United Federated States of Omega
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 106
Founded: Sep 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federated States of Omega » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:I'm not asking why you're proposing this. I'm asking why nations should be forced to open their stock markets to foreign investors if the do not want foreign investors? After all, not all nations desire to trade with other nations nor have foreigners involved in domestic trading.

Here's the thing: For the people of my nation, I see this as opening up new opportunities for them to become more prosperous. If you do not want foreign investors I do understand that, however, it is worth noting that for many individuals foreign investment would be a net benefit. Also, I can't allow for individual members to opt out due to GA rules and regulations. What I can do is allow members to enforce regulations on their own markets, and those regulations may be written in any way so long as WA member state citizens are stilled allowed on exchanges.
Founder of the APC in TSP

Mr. Alexander Xavier- Leader of the Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Author of GAR #401

"If you had less friends, you'd probably be running TSP by now"-Solorni
"I don't know who you are but I think I like you" -Consular

What's next?

User avatar
Jarish Inyo
Diplomat
 
Posts: 981
Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 pm

And that's not acceptable. You nation's opportunities doe not make this an international issue. The WA doesn't exist to force nations to open their markets to foreign investors. It goes against the concept of the WA.

Instead of forcing nations to open their markets to foreigners, maybe you should be thinking of regulations for nations that willingly open their markets to foreign investors.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

User avatar
United Federated States of Omega
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 106
Founded: Sep 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federated States of Omega » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:11 am

Fellow ambassadors, I realize some of your nations have moral and economic reasons as to why this resolution may not be the best for your country, and I recognize you will likely vote against this resolution. What I would like to know is does this resolution, as it currently stands, appear legal and without notable flaw?
OOC: I know this may not pass. I just want to know if it would be possible to legally get this to a vote.
Last edited by United Federated States of Omega on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of the APC in TSP

Mr. Alexander Xavier- Leader of the Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Author of GAR #401

"If you had less friends, you'd probably be running TSP by now"-Solorni
"I don't know who you are but I think I like you" -Consular

What's next?

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 17799
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:It goes against the concept of the WA.

"The concept of the W.A. is 'to improve the world, one resolution at a time': That is all. You might disagree about what constitutes an improvement, but this proposal does fit within the specified category."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Wealthatonia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 183
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wealthatonia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:25 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:I'm not asking why you're proposing this. I'm asking why nations should be forced to open their stock markets to foreign investors if the do not want foreign investors? After all, not all nations desire to trade with other nations nor have foreigners involved in domestic trading.



Only a nation that is not interested in increasing its wealth would not want this
Wealthatonian Ambassador JP Rockefeller

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 3920
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:I'm not asking why you're proposing this. I'm asking why nations should be forced to open their stock markets to foreign investors if the do not want foreign investors? After all, not all nations desire to trade with other nations nor have foreigners involved in domestic trading.



Only a nation that is not interested in increasing its wealth would not want this

"Ambassador, did you even listen to what the ambassador who you are replying to even said," DeeDee says as she sits making cutting out paper people out of paper money. "The ambassador you replied to was questioning why nations should be forced to allow foreign investors if they do want them, not about wealth creation, which can still be a goal of a country even if they don't want total freedom in who can invest in their markets."

"Regardless, I do have a comment on the actual resolution," DeeDee continues as she starts setting the little paper people on fire, "and that would be to ask the point of the last clause (3a). Through the rest of your propsosed resolution, you seem to be focusing on opening up financial markets to foreigners and generally freeing them. Why then are you putting the choosing of exchange rates under the command of the ISEC, when it seems your purpose would be better served by simply mandating that all currencies be free-floating outside of exceptional situations?"
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrGameplay Ambassador of ForestLieutenant in The Black HawksRecruitment and Outreach Director of Lazarus

User avatar
Wealthatonia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 183
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wealthatonia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Wealthatonia wrote:

Only a nation that is not interested in increasing its wealth would not want this

"Ambassador, did you even listen to what the ambassador who you are replying to even said," Deandra says as she sits making cutting out paper people out of paper money. "The ambassador you replied to was questioning why nations should be forced to allow foreign investors if they do want them, not about wealth creation, which can still be a goal of a country even if they don't want total freedom in who can invest in their markets."

"Regardless, I do have a comment on the actual resolution," Deandra continues as she starts setting the little paper people on fire, "and that would be to ask the point of the last clause (3a). Through the rest of your propsosed resolution, you seem to be focusing on opening up financial markets to foreigners and generally freeing them. Why then are you putting the choosing of exchange rates under the command of the ISEC, when it seems your purpose would be better served by simply mandating that all currencies be free-floating outside of exceptional situations?"


The money that goes into another nations stock market will improve that nations economy and benefit all of its citizens and the government, or the government can take all that money for itself. Either way it would be a win for that nation. AND STOP DEFACING THAT MONEY!
Wealthatonian Ambassador JP Rockefeller

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

User avatar
States of Glory WA Office
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1921
Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:06 pm

United Federated States of Omega wrote:Defining a stock exchange as a platform, be it physical or otherwise, on which securities are bought and sold,

Fairburn: Firstly, I think it would be a good idea to place the definition of securities before the definition of a stock exchange as this proposal's definition of a stock exchange is reliant on this proposal's definition of securities.

Secondly, a wooden platform on which securities are sold would count as a stock exchange. Clearly, it cannot be opened to every single citizen of any member state or it will collapse literally and therefore metaphorically.

United Federated States of Omega wrote:Further defining a security as a document, be it physical or otherwise, attesting to the ownership of stocks, bonds, or a tradable derivative,

Fairburn: Stocks are populations of fish, bonds are attractions between atoms and tradable derivatives are the most overpowered monster in Mocképon.

Harold: You made up that last one, didn't you?

Fairburn: Anyway, I don't like this recent trend of authors either neglecting or refusing to define technical terms in proposals. Be the exception, Ambassador Xavier.
Ambassador: Bartholomew Harper Fairburn Rowan Flowerhaze Souldream Bartholomew Harper Fairburn
Assistant: Neville Lynn Robert
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Other ambassadorial staff include but are not limited to Barbera Warner and Harold "The Clown" Johnson.

User avatar
Lord Dominator
Senator
 
Posts: 3920
Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Lord Dominator » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:07 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:AND STOP DEFACING THAT MONEY!

DeeDee - Why do you care so much about this money I have here? It isn't from your country. Probably.
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Osiris Vizier of WA AffairsDee Vytherov-SkollvaldrGameplay Ambassador of ForestLieutenant in The Black HawksRecruitment and Outreach Director of Lazarus

User avatar
Great Minarchistan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5312
Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:And that's not acceptable. You nation's opportunities doe not make this an international issue. The WA doesn't exist to force nations to open their markets to foreign investors. It goes against the concept of the WA.

Instead of forcing nations to open their markets to foreigners, maybe you should be thinking of regulations for nations that willingly open their markets to foreign investors.


Your complaint also applies for the latter, sweetie.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
Pro: private property, free market, minarchism, debt reduction, libertarianism, classical liberalism, fiscal orthodoxy, LGBT rights

Neutral: anarchocapitalism, neoliberalism, feminism, abortion

Against: social-democracy, corporatism, SJWs, socialism, keynesianism, political correctness, social security & medicare & medicaid

#Carson2020
Classical liberal and progressive // Political Compass: +8.25 Economic, -3.00 Social (Jan. 2019)
JOIN THE LIBERTARIAN DISCUSSION THREAD DISCORD

User avatar
United Federated States of Omega
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 106
Founded: Sep 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federated States of Omega » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:"Regardless, I do have a comment on the actual resolution," Deandra continues as she starts setting the little paper people on fire, "and that would be to ask the point of the last clause (3a). Through the rest of your propsosed resolution, you seem to be focusing on opening up financial markets to foreigners and generally freeing them. Why then are you putting the choosing of exchange rates under the command of the ISEC, when it seems your purpose would be better served by simply mandating that all currencies be free-floating outside of exceptional situations?"

Ambassador the reason for placing exchange rates under the ISEC was so they could provide a central authority to ensure they are correct and help reduce confusion to investors. Perhaps it would be better served by stating the ICPA shall regulate the markets on wich currencies are traded?

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
United Federated States of Omega wrote:Defining a stock exchange as a platform, be it physical or otherwise, on which securities are bought and sold,

Fairburn: Firstly, I think it would be a good idea to place the definition of securities before the definition of a stock exchange as this proposal's definition of a stock exchange is reliant on this proposal's definition of securities.

Secondly, a wooden platform on which securities are sold would count as a stock exchange. Clearly, it cannot be opened to every single citizen of any member state or it will collapse literally and therefore metaphorically.

United Federated States of Omega wrote:Further defining a security as a document, be it physical or otherwise, attesting to the ownership of stocks, bonds, or a tradable derivative,

Fairburn: Stocks are populations of fish, bonds are attractions between atoms and tradable derivatives are the most overpowered monster in Mocképon.

Harold: You made up that last one, didn't you?

Fairburn: Anyway, I don't like this recent trend of authors either neglecting or refusing to define technical terms in proposals. Be the exception, Ambassador Xavier.


Ambassador Fairburn, the example you bring up in you example would be a case where I would expect that trading would be required to be done through a broker due to the confines of that exchange. I placed the definition of securities after the definition of stock market due to the fact that the definition for stock market mentioned a security. However, you bring up a good point and in my next edit, I will change that.
Also in my next edit, I will look into writing a suitable definition for stock, bond, and tradeable derivative. These definitions will, of course, come before the definition of security.
Founder of the APC in TSP

Mr. Alexander Xavier- Leader of the Diplomatic Mission to the WA
Author of GAR #401

"If you had less friends, you'd probably be running TSP by now"-Solorni
"I don't know who you are but I think I like you" -Consular

What's next?

User avatar
Wealthatonia
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 183
Founded: Sep 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wealthatonia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Wealthatonia wrote:AND STOP DEFACING THAT MONEY!

Deandra - Why do you care so much about this money I have here? It isn't from your country. Probably.


It may not be from my country, but someone from your country could have used it...
Wealthatonian Ambassador JP Rockefeller

"Fine dining, grand buffets, and money used as napkins as far as the eye can see.

Gold-topped everything for Wealthatonia" what New Scaiva and Horshenwurst thinks the average meal is like in our nation

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

User avatar
Great Minarchistan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5312
Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Great Minarchistan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Wealthatonia wrote:AND STOP DEFACING THAT MONEY!


Chris Jefferson II - No, we must ensure we got a consistent deflation! BURN MORE BANKNOTES!
Last edited by Great Minarchistan on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
Pro: private property, free market, minarchism, debt reduction, libertarianism, classical liberalism, fiscal orthodoxy, LGBT rights

Neutral: anarchocapitalism, neoliberalism, feminism, abortion

Against: social-democracy, corporatism, SJWs, socialism, keynesianism, political correctness, social security & medicare & medicaid

#Carson2020
Classical liberal and progressive // Political Compass: +8.25 Economic, -3.00 Social (Jan. 2019)
JOIN THE LIBERTARIAN DISCUSSION THREAD DISCORD

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads