NATION

PASSWORD

[Legality Challenge] Repeal "The World Assembly"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Libratus
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

[Legality Challenge] Repeal "The World Assembly"

Postby Libratus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Libratus would like to formally challenge the 'Repeal "The World Assembly"', currently in the quorum round.

There does not appear to be an associated forum thread for this proposal, although it is similar in intent to "Repeal the World Assembly", which was dismissed by Frisbeeteria as a game mechanics violation.

Resolution text:
General Assembly Resolution #1 "The World Assembly" (Category: bookkeeping; Strength: Sweeping) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Recognizing the great work this body has done to improve the world,

Noting that as a whole the World Assembly is a functional and well-orchestrated organization,

Concerned that the length of time each proposal gets to be voted on is much too long,

Hereby repeals GAR#1, "The World Assembly."

Selected category: Gambling
Legalize/Outlaw: Outlaw
Proposed by Cisairse

The rationale for the challenge issued by Libratus is as follows:
  • Category violation: The resolution is clearly written as a repeal of GAR#1, yet is filed as a Gambling resolution.
  • Game mechanics violation: In a similar spirit to the aforementioned forum topic, this proposal also aims to "change how the game works". An argument could be made that repealing GAR#1 would undermine the basic premise upon which all subsequent GARs are based.

I humbly ask the General Secretariat to consider this challenge, and seek enlightment from both the Secretariat and from Cisairse as to the intent and validity of the proposal.
Last edited by Libratus on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 pm

I really don't believe there is any need to challenge this proposal.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Libratus
Civil Servant

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Libratus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:10 pm

In the sense that it's unlikely to pass anyway, you are correct. But I think it's important that the GenSec sets a precedent on the matter to discourage similar situations in the future. I'm confident both Imperium Anglorum and Libratus can agree that the proposal risks damaging the fabric of the WA -- and even the game itself. For Libratus to say nothing at all is at worst neglect, at best tacit approval. We as WA nations are not above helping the submitters of proposals understand what is and isn't acceptable, regardless of how ridiculous a proposal seems. It is my personal opinion that doing otherwise fosters the appearance of elitism, though I know full well that was not your intent in the slightest and understand you are optimizing for time and relevance. The more understanding proposal submitters have in the future, the less likely a similar situation is to arise.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 pm

How does this proposal even exist? Wasn't GAR #1 specifically coded to be unrepealable? Even if you brought up a repeal form with some URL editing, the proposal wouldn't submit...
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Libratus
Civil Servant

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Libratus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm

It's because it was submitted as a new gambling proposal, rather than a repeal of GAR#1.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014

Postby Phydios » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Libratus wrote:It's because it was submitted as a new gambling proposal, rather than a repeal of GAR#1.

Oh. So it just breaks some very fundamental and unambiguous rules, such as the Category rule. With the right code, the site itself could rule this illegal without human control. What would compel the author to put a repeal attempt under Gambling?
Last edited by Phydios on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Phydios wrote:
Libratus wrote:It's because it was submitted as a new gambling proposal, rather than a repeal of GAR#1.

Oh. So it just breaks some very fundamental and unambiguous rules, such as the Category rule. With the right code, the site itself could rule this illegal without human control. What would compel the author to put a repeal attempt under Gambling?

Clearly they're gambling the the mods won't take notice. :lol2:
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Aclion wrote:Clearly they're gambling the the mods won't take notice.

Oh, we noticed. The funny thing is that it isn't a Mod problem. It's a simple category violation, and therefore belongs to GenSec.

I suppose you could make the case that it's Game Mechanics because GAR #1 isn't repealable, but I'm happy to let GenSec deal with it.

Libratus
Civil Servant

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Libratus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Makes sense. The primary issue here appears to be the category violation; if it weren't violating category rules, it would not have been possible to submit in the first place. Which technically makes the game mechanics violation the secondary, minor issue here.

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 am

This has led to a question that's not unrelated. Namely, whether GenSec could rule on whether the "early" resolutions (e.g. GARs 1 and subsequent - i.e. those that were passed at the very beginning of the WA's existence) have passed into "jus cogens" - that is, they are so old that everyone accepts them as part of customary international law, and, relatedly, when Resolutions are generally accepted as such?

OOC: I'm going to have to dash off to a lecture, so I'll submit a brief on this a bit later
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 am

GenSec can rule on early resolutions. The issue with Repealing 1 GA is that it is impossible to do via the Repeal function, and impossible to do legally without having a repeal function.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:GenSec can rule on early resolutions. The issue with Repealing 1 GA is that it is impossible to do via the Repeal function, and impossible to do legally without having a repeal function.

I accept what the issue is, but my question is more nuanced than that. It's normally the case that, insofar as the game mechanics are concerned, any Resolution passed subsequently to a Member's joining the WA becomes automatically binding. My question is whether, because of how international law has evolved, and based on the interpretation of previous resolutions and various rulings, previous resolutions that were passed before a member joined should be considered impliedly binding as soon as that member joins.

For example, I joined the WA while Repeal Open Internet Order is being voted on, and I accept that it will be binding on me because of the nature of WA membership. However, as part of my membership, do all the previous resolutions passed by the WA implicitly become binding on me too?
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 am

Thyerata wrote:My question is whether, because of how international law has evolved, and based on the interpretation of previous resolutions and various rulings, previous resolutions that were passed before a member joined should be considered impliedly binding as soon as that member joins.

Yes. When you join the WA, you agree to obey all the existing and future resolutions. At least while you're on the GA forum. You can RP whatever you want on the other IC forums.

However, as part of my membership, do all the previous resolutions passed by the WA implicitly become binding on me too?

Again, yes.

As for GenSec ruling on the legality of previously passed resolutions, that's largely a moot point as "it's illegal" is not an acceptable repeal argument. All passed resolutions are considered legal.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am

I will also add, wholly unnecessarily, to this challenge by asserting that the "repeal" in question is an Honest Mistake violation. The main (and only) argument is as follows:
Concerned that the length of time each proposal gets to be voted on is much too long,

As GA#1 sets no length of time for voting, the argument is not addressing GA#1 and thus is repealing GA#1 on a mistake.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Its illegal in about a dozen ways. I hit Discard, as there is no possible way this could be seen as legal. It isn't even borderline.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:09 am

Araraukar wrote:As for GenSec ruling on the legality of previously passed resolutions, that's largely a moot point as "it's illegal" is not an acceptable repeal argument. All passed resolutions are considered legal.
Although unless there was actually an official ruling that a particular resolution was legal before it passed that legality does not automatically make that resolution a valid precedent for the authors of later proposals to follow...

Separatist Peoples wrote:Its illegal in about a dozen ways. I hit Discard, as there is no possible way this could be seen as legal. It isn't even borderline.

Seconded.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:22 am

Bears Armed wrote:that legality does not automatically make that resolution a valid precedent for the authors of later proposals to follow...

Very true, especially as the proposal rules themselves have changed over the years, not just how they're interpreted...
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly