NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT 9][FINAL] Allergen Labelling Standards

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat May 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Draconae wrote:"As long as you mandate that nations give the WA the data collected in Clause 1, then I don't see any other problems. However, you may want to check on the resolution currently at vote, as it may impact your topic. Either way, you may want to make sure this resolution is legal with World Assembly Central Medicinal Database Compact in place, or wait until a repeal for it to submit this."

"It would be nice if the resolution could be written in such a way that if there is a WA entity collecting the information already the WAFDRA can simply get it from them, while if there is not they can require Member nations to supply it. I'm at a loss as to how that could be worded; Something like "collect from member states or appropriate WA entities" I suppose."

Jarish Inyo wrote:The WA's authority is only that which the individual nations grant it. After all the WA has no way to enforce any of the resolutions other then the goodwill of the nations.

"If your nation not going to comply with WA resolutions anyway then why should this assembly pay any attention to your objections? Your presence in the debate halls is little more then a distraction."
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sat May 06, 2017 6:36 pm

"This proposal interests me, but it really doesn't do enough. There are a lot of things my people can't eat, and there are an awful lot of restaurants and such in other nations that don't list the ingredients in their sauces, soups, meatloaf, or seasonings, or whatever. I mean, garlic is one of the most common things you humans use, and it doesn't take eating a whole lot of it to do horrible things to our blood. But the thing is, those aren't allergies. It's not like we go into anaphylactic shock. Our biology just can't handle it.

So what I'm getting at is I'm against this unless it requires nations appropriately label anything that is biologically poisonous to non-human sapients, as well as basic allergens."
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 am

Draconae wrote:"As long as you mandate that nations give the WA the data collected in Clause 1, then I don't see any other problems. However, you may want to check on the resolution currently at vote, as it may impact your topic. Either way, you may want to make sure this resolution is legal with World Assembly Central Medicinal Database Compact in place, or wait until a repeal for it to submit this."

"I will have to examine it more closely, but at the moment, I feel that WACMDC's impact on this is minimal."

Aclion wrote:"It would be nice if the resolution could be written in such a way that if there is a WA entity collecting the information already the WAFDRA can simply get it from them, while if there is not they can require Member nations to supply it. I'm at a loss as to how that could be worded; Something like "collect from member states or appropriate WA entities" I suppose."

"Again, I shall have to explore WACMDC more, but this will be mulled over it is applicable."

Essu Beti wrote:"This proposal interests me, but it really doesn't do enough. There are a lot of things my people can't eat, and there are an awful lot of restaurants and such in other nations that don't list the ingredients in their sauces, soups, meatloaf, or seasonings, or whatever. I mean, garlic is one of the most common things you humans use, and it doesn't take eating a whole lot of it to do horrible things to our blood. But the thing is, those aren't allergies. It's not like we go into anaphylactic shock. Our biology just can't handle it.

So what I'm getting at is I'm against this unless it requires nations appropriately label anything that is biologically poisonous to non-human sapients, as well as basic allergens."

Whovian Tardisia wrote:UNDERSTANDING that many individuals suffer from allergies or intolerances to certain foodstuffs, henceforth referred to as “food tolerance complications”,

"I would think that the stuff being poisonous would qualify as an intolerance. Also, one would hope a food company would avoid poisoning it's customers. But this will be noted and considered for the next draft."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 am

Not a distraction. Pointing out that the WA authority is not as great and powerful as you think it is, is not a distraction. After all, I did point out there is a loophole in the proposal that means no one has to follow this resolution if passed and still be in compliance. Did not and will not tell you what it is. But it should be obvious
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Mon May 08, 2017 12:10 pm

"Are you talking about how it mandates collecting data on food complications, but doesn't actually mandate turning that data over to the agency?"
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

Draconae
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Draconae » Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Essu Beti wrote:"Are you talking about how it mandates collecting data on food complications, but doesn't actually mandate turning that data over to the agency?"

"I would assume so, yes."
General Centrist
Economic Left/Right: -1.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Draconae is a WA Nation
Ambassador: Marcus Valorus
Author: Internet Neutrality Act
Tech Level: MT + ~30 years (Tier 6.5)
Magic: None (Level 0)
Influence: Regional Power (Type 5)

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 am

As I'm opposed to this proposal, I'm not one to point out the loopholes. But, we'll go with that one.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 am

The Ambassador rises slightly nervously, shuffling papers, acutely conscious of making her nation's first contribution.

"Comrade Ambassadors, the understandable concerns regarding Clauses 1 and 2 involving confidential medical information being given to the WA are surely easily allayed. Why is it necessary for Clause 2 to mention medical records? Surely what is needed to make the resolution effective is statistical information on the prevalence of food tolerance complications in each nation. These should be no more confidential than an article in a medical journal. Why not remove any reference to medical records?

Secondly, the reference in Clause 1 to regular collection is problematic. If data were next collected in 2117 and then once a century, that would be extremely regular.

Thirdly, is it solely the responsibility of the individual to avoid foods they're allergic to? It's true that people have managed for hundreds of years, but that was mainly at a time when their diet was based on far fewer foods that were far less processed and more likely to be prepared in the home, making it far easier to know what was in it. In my nation we promote the eating of fresh, non-processed food through our system of community canteens, but for citizens in less enlightened places it is indeed far harder than it used to be to avoid allergens.

Most importantly, how can we be assured that this resolution will prevent the abuse companies perpetrate on the good intentions of many labelling systems by simply stating that everything "may contain" allergens, whether or not there is any reasonable likelihood of that? This serves to protect the manufacturer from litigation in the event of accidental contamination, but it provides no useful information to a person with an allergy.

My nations remains uncertain whether it would in principal support a resolution such as this or whether it would be in all respects wiser to encourage the avoidance of processed foods, to the benefit of health and the environment."

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed May 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Uan aa Boa wrote:The Ambassador rises slightly nervously, shuffling papers, acutely conscious of making her nation's first contribution.

"Comrade Ambassadors, the understandable concerns regarding Clauses 1 and 2 involving confidential medical information being given to the WA are surely easily allayed. Why is it necessary for Clause 2 to mention medical records? Surely what is needed to make the resolution effective is statistical information on the prevalence of food tolerance complications in each nation. These should be no more confidential than an article in a medical journal. Why not remove any reference to medical records?

"We are considering this. Thank you for the reminder."

Uan aa Boa wrote:Secondly, the reference in Clause 1 to regular collection is problematic. If data were next collected in 2117 and then once a century, that would be extremely regular.

"Agreed, but due to irregularities in how member states measure time, declaring a specific period would be problematic. It could be specified that collection also had to be frequent, so we shall note that."

Uan aa Boa wrote:Thirdly, is it solely the responsibility of the individual to avoid foods they're allergic to? It's true that people have managed for hundreds of years, but that was mainly at a time when their diet was based on far fewer foods that were far less processed and more likely to be prepared in the home, making it far easier to know what was in it. In my nation we promote the eating of fresh, non-processed food through our system of community canteens, but for citizens in less enlightened places it is indeed far harder than it used to be to avoid allergens.

"Indeed. We believe that food manufacturers have a responsibility to ensure their product is safe for consumption by their customers, and that the proposed resolution will make that responsibility more clear."

Uan aa Boa wrote:Most importantly, how can we be assured that this resolution will prevent the abuse companies perpetrate on the good intentions of many labelling systems by simply stating that everything "may contain" allergens, whether or not there is any reasonable likelihood of that? This serves to protect the manufacturer from litigation in the event of accidental contamination, but it provides no useful information to a person with an allergy.

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will add a clause addressing it."

Uan aa Boa wrote:My nations remains uncertain whether it would in principal support a resolution such as this or whether it would be in all respects wiser to encourage the avoidance of processed foods, to the benefit of health and the environment."

"Hopefully the next draft can convince you. Processed goods becoming safer is still good progress."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed May 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Someone mentioned restaurants earlier, We are not opposed to requiring restaurants to list the ingredients in there foods provided it is done in a practical manner, however it should be noted that unlike a food manufacture restaurants will be using the same equipment to make a variety of foods, so cross contamination becomes a more serious concern. It may be better to leave the matter to a later proposal.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Wed May 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Uan aa Boa wrote:Secondly, the reference in Clause 1 to regular collection is problematic. If data were next collected in 2117 and then once a century, that would be extremely regular.

"Agreed, but due to irregularities in how member states measure time, declaring a specific period would be problematic. It could be specified that collection also had to be frequent, so we shall note that."

I would suggest something like "at reasonable intervals." The word reasonable can do a lot of work here and allow for individual circumstances to be taken into account, with the WA committee mentioned in the resolution being the arbiter, if one were needed, of what is reasonable. Clearly my example of doing it once a century would not be reasonable.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu May 11, 2017 11:31 am

Aclion wrote:Someone mentioned restaurants earlier, We are not opposed to requiring restaurants to list the ingredients in there foods provided it is done in a practical manner, however it should be noted that unlike a food manufacture restaurants will be using the same equipment to make a variety of foods, so cross contamination becomes a more serious concern. It may be better to leave the matter to a later proposal.

"We believe that restaurants are outside the scope of this proposal, and for the reason of cross-contamination, would be much harder to legislate and enforce. Someone else can have a crack at it if they want..."

Uan aa Boa wrote:I would suggest something like "at reasonable intervals." The word reasonable can do a lot of work here and allow for individual circumstances to be taken into account, with the WA committee mentioned in the resolution being the arbiter, if one were needed, of what is reasonable. Clearly my example of doing it once a century would not be reasonable.

"Agreed and noted."

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu May 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Clarified that testing cannot be forced
Removed WAFDRA’s authority to determine the competency of government agencies, instead requiring them to cooperate with each other.
Closed loophole that nations aren’t actually required to give WAFDRA the data.
Reworked Clause 2 to focus on survey data, thus removing any reference to medical records, as well as requiring surveys at reasonable intervals.
Added a request to avoid "may contain" labels to Clause 6
Fixed inconsistency with spelling ("labelling" changed to match title's "labeling")

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri May 12, 2017 12:26 am

One loophole closed, but still doesn't close them all.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 am

"Ambassador Pink, I must thank you for the alacrity and positive spirit with which you have taken my comments into account."

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed May 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Uan aa Boa wrote:"Ambassador Pink, I must thank you for the alacrity and positive spirit with which you have taken my comments into account."

"Your points were well made, sir!" Pink responds, after snapping out of an odd, trance-like state. He looks at his watch, and is slightly taken aback. "Right. I think I shall have one last call for questions and edits. After that, the proposal shall be prepared for submission. I hope someone more eagle-eyed than me can find whatever loopholes remain..."

Draconae
Spokesperson

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Draconae » Fri May 26, 2017 11:31 am

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Uan aa Boa wrote:"Ambassador Pink, I must thank you for the alacrity and positive spirit with which you have taken my comments into account."

"Your points were well made, sir!" Pink responds, after snapping out of an odd, trance-like state. He looks at his watch, and is slightly taken aback. "Right. I think I shall have one last call for questions and edits. After that, the proposal shall be prepared for submission. I hope someone more eagle-eyed than me can find whatever loopholes remain..."

"Speaking of edits, in clause 2a the resolution specifies surveys of food tolerance complications. It would probably be a good idea to clarify that those surveys need to be representative of the population. Also, is it possible to include any protection against misleading answers to the surveys? In clause 2b, it would be good to clarify what deems the testing necessary: the WAFDRA or something else? In clauses 3b and 3c, you have two different formulations of 'using the data collected.' Is there any way you could combine 3b and 3c, so you don't have to say the same thing several times? If not, I believe you should use the same wording in each clause. In clause 4, it might be beneficial to use 'accurately integrate' instead of just 'integrate'. Otherwise, nations could integrate the WAFDRA's system incorrectly. I'm not sure why they would want to do so, but some nations might anyway. Finally, you tend to use the '&' symbol to denote 'and'. Unless it is required for the name of the agency, I believe it would be clearer to write out 'and.' But that's just minor."

"Other than that, I don't see any problems. Great work."
General Centrist
Draconae is a WA Nation

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri May 26, 2017 11:35 am

Why is it the case that Food and Drug Standards does not already cover this?

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri May 26, 2017 11:38 am

Actually, it's terrible work. And flawed. Why should nations be forced to create a labeling system for something that isn't a problem? Why should nations be forced to spend money on surveys on food allergies? Good thing no one actually has to follow this.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Draconae wrote:"Speaking of edits, in clause 2a the resolution specifies surveys of food tolerance complications. It would probably be a good idea to clarify that those surveys need to be representative of the population. Also, is it possible to include any protection against misleading answers to the surveys? In clause 2b, it would be good to clarify what deems the testing necessary: the WAFDRA or something else?

"WAFDRA is creating the system, so it would make sense that they decide what data is enough. As for the protections to ensure the survey is accurate, could you provide some examples? I'm not the best with gathering statistics."

Draconae wrote:In clauses 3b and 3c, you have two different formulations of 'using the data collected.' Is there any way you could combine 3b and 3c, so you don't have to say the same thing several times? If not, I believe you should use the same wording in each clause.

"We shall take a closer look at this. I'm not sure about merging the clauses, but we'll look into the wording."

Draconae wrote:In clause 4, it might be beneficial to use 'accurately integrate' instead of just 'integrate'. Otherwise, nations could integrate the WAFDRA's system incorrectly. I'm not sure why they would want to do so, but some nations might anyway.

"Noted. Will likely implement."

Draconae wrote:Finally, you tend to use the '&' symbol to denote 'and'. Unless it is required for the name of the agency, I believe it would be clearer to write out 'and.' But that's just minor."

Ambassador Pink shrugs. "I just like using ampersands. I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe I'm just scared about being longwinded. But I'm sure a few extra characters won't hurt."

Draconae wrote:"Other than that, I don't see any problems. Great work."

"Thank you. We look forward to your continued support."

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Why is it the case that Food and Drug Standards does not already cover this?

"The wording throughout GA64 alludes to the overall quality and safety of food to average members of the public. It does not mention abnormal reasons for foods being unsafe to certain groups, such as those with allergies or intolerances."

Jarish Inyo wrote:Actually, it's terrible work. And flawed. Why should nations be forced to create a labeling system for something that isn't a problem? Why should nations be forced to spend money on surveys on food allergies? Good thing no one actually has to follow this.

"Citizens not being able to eat the same foods as most citizens can counts as a problem in my book. Otherwise I would not have bothered with this. And in regards to the fact that you are under the impression this entire proposal is invalid: I recommend you cease mentioning it unless you plan to tell me how you came to that conclusion, as nobody else seems to see it."
Ignore cannon has been primed. I would prefer not to fire it.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm not required to tell you the loopholes that you have put into this proposal that make it invalid. And people not being able to certain foods is not an issue, not to mention an international issue.

What will the WAFDA do when a nation's citizens refuse to answer the surveys and refuses release their confidential medical records?
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Fri May 26, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat May 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:What will the WAFDA do when a nation's citizens refuse to answer the surveys and refuses release their confidential medical records?

"The majority of people in any survey don't respond. Researchers have means of detecting an correcting for non-reponse bias."
OOC: though it would be more fun to just use the results from people who did respond(which are likely people who and interest to because they have more food allergies) so countries like yours that choose to be a pain for no reason have to label more allergens then they otherwise would.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Sat May 27, 2017 6:15 pm

My nation wouldn't have to place more allergies on our labels. After all, the WAFDA makes the labeling for each individual nation according to the information the nation gives them.

So, again, if the citizens do not consent to the surveys and releasing of their medical records, what will the WAFDA do?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Draconae
Spokesperson

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Draconae » Sun May 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Draconae wrote:"Speaking of edits, in clause 2a the resolution specifies surveys of food tolerance complications. It would probably be a good idea to clarify that those surveys need to be representative of the population. Also, is it possible to include any protection against misleading answers to the surveys? In clause 2b, it would be good to clarify what deems the testing necessary: the WAFDRA or something else?

"WAFDRA is creating the system, so it would make sense that they decide what data is enough. As for the protections to ensure the survey is accurate, could you provide some examples? I'm not the best with gathering statistics."

"I'm sorry, but I am also unsure. You could possibly correlate data between nations with the same species to make sure massive amounts of people were not giving you incorrect information, but that would only correct large discrepancies. You could also include questions that are the opposite of each other, so that if the participant responds 'yes' or 'no' to both the question and the opposite of the question their responses could be thrown out. However, I think the requirement that the surveys must be representative of the population would be enough. The WAFDRA can figure out the rest."

I'm not a statistician, but Wikipedia is where I got my second suggestion and may be a resource to find more.

Jarish Inyo wrote:I'm not required to tell you the loopholes that you have put into this proposal that make it invalid.

"You are quite correct, Ambassador Nameless. However, I feel like you are not being helpful nor introducing any new arguments or dimensions to your arguments. We aren't getting anywhere. So, if you want to do one of those things, please do so. Otherwise, please leave. Thank you." Valorus gives Ambassador Nameless a smile that is cutting enough to make most quail.
General Centrist
Draconae is a WA Nation

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 am

"The honorable Ambassador from Draconae's suggestions have been implemented. If there are any final objections, speak now or forever hold your peace."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly