NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT 9][FINAL] Allergen Labelling Standards

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:18 am

But people can o.d. on aspirin. More dangerous drugs have been made from cough syrup and other so-called over the counter medication.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:06 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:But people can o.d. on aspirin. More dangerous drugs have been made from cough syrup and other so-called over the counter medication.

People can OD on water. We should restrict the administration of water to the hospitalised!

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Covenstone
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Covenstone » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:But people can o.d. on aspirin. More dangerous drugs have been made from cough syrup and other so-called over the counter medication.

People can OD on water. We should restrict the administration of water to the hospitalised!

elphaba Thropp might agree!
CP A Winters, Queen of The Witches. ("I suffer from an overwhelming surplus of diggity.")

"Every time the Goddess closes a door, she opens a window.
Which is why the Goddess is NEVER allowed in a spaceship."

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:42 am

Water is a requirement for the lifeforms found in the Empire. Aspirin and other over the counter medications are not a requirement for said lifeforms. And there is all natural alternatives to the over the counter medication.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:20 am

Araraukar wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:There is no resolution stating that people should not be in a hospital to receive highly addictive medications.

Never yet heard of anyone getting addicted to aspirin or chamomile...

"Well, maybeso some occasionally to Solace Chamomile..."

Artorrios o SouthWoods,
ChairBear, Bears Armed Mission at the World Assembly.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:And there is all natural alternatives to the over the counter medication.

Yeah, like aspirin and chamomile.

(OOC: I have, as a lab assignment, extracted and purified the active compound of aspirin from a whole lot of willow bark. Chamomile I've drank as tea - not a big fan of the taste, but it's said to be both soothing and helping with colds.

Also, salicylic acid, the active compound of aspirin, is a plant hormone that's involved in a lot of different functions, not unlike thyroid hormone in humans. I find it hard to believe that Jarish Inyo didn't have any green plants.
)
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Aspirin is not a natural alternative. Nor is any of the over the counter meditation.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Aspirin is not a natural alternative. Nor is any of the over the counter meditation.

The active compound of aspirin is, though. And chamomile can't get much more natural than it already is.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 pm

But aspirin is not natural. And as you have pointed out the active compound can be gotten without the other compounds that make aspirin. So, I'm not sure why you keep insisting that aspirin is a natural alternative to itself. Also, you argument that the active compound is natural can also be made for other illegal drugs. Should we permit those drugs too?

And if someone wants to pick a few flowers and make tea, have at it. It's natural and probably better for them then the over the counter medication.
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

WA Kitty Kops
Envoy

Founded: Oct 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby WA Kitty Kops » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:*snip*

"Even I knows you's just being difficult for fun. And don't worry, my human's gonna be back eventually. But she's first trying to burn a paper mountain that ate one of Mikael's peeps.

"Anyways, would me being oblee- ogle- obel- me only able to eat things that's made of bits of other animals mean that everything vedgetable'd be put on allergy list? I horks more hairballs when I eats green things, but that's so I cans hork more hairballs."
The Head Inshpekshuuner looks like a dark grey kitten with yellow eyes and a small white patch on his chest, he's about 4-5 months old. He's much smarter than you could guess from the way he talks.
-- my main nation is Araraukar
NERVUN wrote:And my life flashed in front of my eyes while I did and I honestly expected my computer to explode after I entered the warning.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

Fairburn: That is a ludicrous suggestion. Clearly, restrictions on the administration of dihydrogen monoxide, hydrogen oxide, hydrogen hydroxide, hydric acid and hydroxylic acid are more pressing matters.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 pm

WA Kitty Kops wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:*snip*

"Even I knows you's just being difficult for fun. And don't worry, my human's gonna be back eventually. But she's first trying to burn a paper mountain that ate one of Mikael's peeps.

"Anyways, would me being oblee- ogle- obel- me only able to eat things that's made of bits of other animals mean that everything vedgetable'd be put on allergy list? I horks more hairballs when I eats green things, but that's so I cans hork more hairballs."

Whovian Tardisia wrote:3. EXPANDS the duties of WAFDRA to include:
  1. Assisting member states in conducting the analyses required by clause 1, when said member states exhibit a dire need for such assistance,
  2. Collecting the results of said analyses,
  3. Creating a standard system by which to indicate the presence or absence of ingredients harmful to those with food tolerance complications on the packaging of foodstuffs,
  4. Determining which labelling is necessary on a member state-by-member state and product-by-product basis, based on the analyses required by Clause 1,
  5. Delegating the immediately aforementioned responsibility to a similar authority within a member state, if such an authority exists and WAFDRA is confident in their competence,

"The indicated phrases make it so requirements such as the Inspecshunner suggested would only exist in nations primarily populated by carnivores, as such labelling would likely be considered necessary there. Also, I recommend taking the natural vs. artificial medicine debate elsewhere, as this proposal does not apply to medication, only foodstuffs."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:13 pm

"We support this proposal, though we'd like spaces in between lines to make it more visually appealing, and it gives Bakhtonian staffmembers work to do in editorial phase for new versions of the Big Blue Law Book. (BBLB)"
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:52 pm

OOC: New Draft, addressing Ara's concerns about GA 29, whilst also hopefully quelling some of Jarish's fears about privacy. Speaking of Ara's concerns...

IC:
Araraukar wrote:Also, what happens if, according to clause 3 e, there is no national authority the committee trusts to be competent? And how is competence measured?

"If no authority is present, the decision falls on WAFDRA. It would also fall upon WAFDRA to determine the competency of such an authority. If I were to specify how they determine this, it would bog down the draft."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:36 am

No, this doesn't even begin to deal with concern over privacy or forcing medical professionals to share patients records so the state can collect data on food allergies. Nor is it the WAFDRA to decide the authority of a governmental office. Nor will we allow medical testing without patient's consent. The Empire will never collect data on common food tolerance complications in our population. Nor provide funding for research, surveys or census data.
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Ambassador Pink pulls up the RexisQuexis™ on the projector and navigates to GA #29. He scrolls down to Clause 4, which reads:

GA #29 wrote:(IV) Patients may refuse treatment, provided that such refusal does not endanger the health of others.

"The existence of this clause means testing cannot be forced. This can and likely will be clarified in the next draft."

He then scrolls to Clause 6 ii, emboldening the last sentence, which reads:

GA #29 wrote:(ii) Physicians may make the patient's personal medical records and the contents of such records available to their colleagues and any healthcare professionals involved in the patient's treatment for the purpose of providing medical care to the patient and for other reasons such as morbidity study. Records entirely stripped of all personal details may be published.

"The phrase 'properly censored' is intended to reflect this requirement. This could be defined. I will consider doing so."

He then minimizes the RexisQuexis™ tab, returning to the proposal text.

Jarish Inyo wrote: Nor is it the WAFDRA to decide the authority of a governmental office.

"When you put it like that, I understand the issue. I will remove that part of the subclause."

Jarish Inyo wrote: The Empire will never collect data on common food tolerance complications in our population. Nor provide funding for research, surveys or census data.

"That will leave you in trouble with the gnomes should this pass, then. WAFDRA, or your own nation's food regulation agency, will have a lot of trouble implementing the system in Jarish Inyo without that data."

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm

The Empire will never implement this system. And no, it won't get the Empire in trouble with the gnomes, as this resolution has a built in loophole. And the gnomes don't enforce resolutions. Nor do we care one bit that the WAFDRA will have a lot of trouble implementing the system in Jarish Inyo without that data. Assuming that any WAFDRA officials are allowed within the Empire or can even contact any Imperial officials.

Medical professionals shouldn't access patient's records unless they are treating said patient. No medical professional in the Empire will access a patients records without said patient's consent.
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:The Empire will never implement this system. And no, it won't get the Empire in trouble with the gnomes, as this resolution has a built in loophole.

"Would you mind elaborating? I should like to close it."

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Not gonna make it that easy on you. If you can't figure it out, that's your issue. I'll just enjoy exploiting it. If this ever passes.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu May 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Ambassador Pink tapped the mic, in an attempt to recapture the attention of the other ambassadors. "After looking through the minutes and the proposal, I have dug up these suggested changes:

• Clarify that testing cannot be forced
  • Remove WAFDRA’s authority to determine the competency of government agencies
  • Close loophole that nations aren’t actually required to give WAFDRA the data.

Are there any more suggestions before I redraft? I should like the next draft to be either the final or penultimate version."

OOC: El bumpo.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Celice wakes with a jolt and hastily attempts to act like she knows what's going on.
"Those seem like good changes to me, though I have some concerns. Firstly that without WAFDRA determining competency delegating the responsibility to national authority may be irresponsible, and undermine the goal of the resolution. This depends on the details of the next draft of course, but i'd like to suggest that WAFDRA work alongside the national authority, if any, in regards to the responsablities of 3b and 3c.
Additionally, regarding the definition of data, I don't believe that individual medical records will be needed for this resolutions purpose and censuses don't generally keep records of allergies. I think what's needed is a study of the preponderance of difference allergies in the nations population, prehaps conducted with the assistance of the WA if necessary."
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Thu May 04, 2017 6:32 pm

The Empire will never share any data with the WAFDRA. Nor will we work with or accept the authority of the WAFDRA. Nor will we do any studies into allergies.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Fri May 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:The Empire will never share any data with the WAFDRA. Nor will we work with or accept the authority of the WAFDRA. Nor will we do any studies into allergies.

"Refusing to accept the authority of WAFDRA, or any other WA agency, is refusing to accept the authority of the WA itself. If you do not accept the WA's authority, again, I ask you, why bother remaining a member? Why be part of an organization that you do not consider to have power over anything?"
Aclion wrote:Celice wakes with a jolt and hastily attempts to act like she knows what's going on.
"Those seem like good changes to me, though I have some concerns. Firstly that without WAFDRA determining competency delegating the responsibility to national authority may be irresponsible, and undermine the goal of the resolution.

"This was why it was included in the first place."
Aclion wrote:This depends on the details of the next draft of course, but i'd like to suggest that WAFDRA work alongside the national authority, if any, in regards to the responsablities of 3b and 3c.

"Noted. This seems like a better option, allowing WAFDRA to guide national agencies without completely undermining their authority."
Aclion wrote:I think what's needed is a study of the preponderance of difference allergies in the nations population, prehaps conducted with the assistance of the WA if necessary."

"This was the intention behind mentioning surveys, as this would be the form such a study would take. The medical records were merely to back the survey answers up with hard data. I will rework the clause to focus more on that."

Draconae
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Draconae » Fri May 05, 2017 4:01 pm

"As long as you mandate that nations give the WA the data collected in Clause 1, then I don't see any other problems. However, you may want to check on the resolution currently at vote, as it may impact your topic. Either way, you may want to make sure this resolution is legal with World Assembly Central Medicinal Database Compact in place, or wait until a repeal for it to submit this."
General Centrist
Economic Left/Right: -1.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Draconae is a WA Nation
Ambassador: Marcus Valorus
Author: Internet Neutrality Act
Tech Level: MT + ~30 years (Tier 6.5)
Magic: None (Level 0)
Influence: Regional Power (Type 5)

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Sat May 06, 2017 4:01 am

The WA's authority is only that which the individual nations grant it. After all the WA has no way to enforce any of the resolutions other then the goodwill of the nations.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly