NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT 9][FINAL] Allergen Labelling Standards

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Essu Beti
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Essu Beti » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:44 pm

OOC: Canned fruit in my pantry right now: pineapple, mandarin oranges, peaches, and this fruit mix stuff that has, among other things, what might possibly be considered cherries if they only tasted anything like cherries.

Also canned pears are friggin' delicious whereas with real pears I tend to get impatient and take a bite when they're not quite ripe yet.

Also, States of Glory? Canned laughter is a thing. It's another term for the laughtrack used in sitcoms. :P
Trust Factbooks, not stats.

The Ambassador of Essu Beti is Iksana Gayan and he's an elf. He’s irritable and a damn troll and everything he says is IC only. I would never be so tactless OOC.

National News Radio: A large-scale infrastructure project will soon be underway. During this time, for safety reasons, the island will be closed to tourists and foreign news agents. We do expect a minor loss in revenue due to this, but this will be greatly offset by both the long and short-term benefits of the infrastructure project. If your job is negatively impacted by the island closure, please send a letter or verbal message via courier to the Council so that we can add you to the list of beneficiaries of foreign aid.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 am

Essu Beti wrote:OOC: Also, States of Glory? Canned laughter is a thing. It's another term for the laughtrack used in sitcoms. :P

OOC: Yes, I know that canned laughter is a thing. That was the joke.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Essu Beti wrote:and this fruit mix stuff that has, among other things, what might possibly be considered cherries if they only tasted anything like cherries.

OOC: The non-cherry-tasting cherries are pretty good, though. I eat that fruit mix too. :P
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 am

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Draconae wrote:"Perhaps you could add 'unless contamination of a food with said ingredient is likely'?"

"That would be the simplest way around it, but the lack of utility the label holds is still a concern. We feel a Contamination Risk scale would be more useful for the consumer, allowing those with severe food tolerance complications to be better informed of a food's risk, or lack thereof, to their health."

I suspect that, for the reasons of litigation avoidance already discussed, you might find manufacturers seeking to increase rather than decrease their risk rating, perhaps by bringing allergens closer to the production process than they actually need to be.

Nonetheless, this would provide some objective information to consumers and the alternative approach would be strongly anti-business measures that would probably be unpalatable to the Assembly as a whole. We would therefore support something of this nature as a compromise.

I still stress that if manufacturers are able to evade providing meaningful information by declaring that any product "might" contain any allergen, sufferers will be left with the choice between taking a leap in the dark and avoiding all manufactured foods. It would therefore be exactly as if the legislation didn't exist. Deleting the clause would completely disable the proposal.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:I don't have to do either. But I'll give you a hint. You are assuming something. And that something determines if a nation has to anything more then a survey. Assuming the citizens will even answer the survey to begin with. I can't be the only one that sees the flaw.

Presumably you're referring to the requirement that member nations integrate the WADFRA system into their own labelling system, with the assumption being that there is such a system. If so, you'd be contending that a nation that currently has no legislation on labelling would have no obligations under the proposal because there's no instruction to create a system if it doesn't exist.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Uan aa Boa wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:I don't have to do either. But I'll give you a hint. You are assuming something. And that something determines if a nation has to anything more then a survey. Assuming the citizens will even answer the survey to begin with. I can't be the only one that sees the flaw.

Presumably you're referring to the requirement that member nations integrate the WADFRA system into their own labelling system, with the assumption being that there is such a system. If so, you'd be contending that a nation that currently has no legislation on labelling would have no obligations under the proposal because there's no instruction to create a system if it doesn't exist.

"Ahh. An astute observation. One I wish had been made sooner. This will be addressed with an edit to the relevant clause."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Draconae
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 14, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Draconae » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Draconae wrote:OOC: What exactly did you change between your forth and fifth drafts? I can't really see much.

You didn't request much. Simply the wording changes in the subclauses of Clause 3 and replacing every ampersand with the word "and".

True. Although I did mention "However, I think the requirement that the surveys must be representative of the population would be enough. The WAFDRA can figure out the rest," which I meant for possible inclusion, if you would like to do so.

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
Draconae wrote:"Perhaps you could add 'unless contamination of a food with said ingredient is likely'?"

"That would be the simplest way around it, but the lack of utility the label holds is still a concern. We feel a Contamination Risk scale would be more useful for the consumer, allowing those with severe food tolerance complications to be better informed of a food's risk, or lack thereof, to their health."

"Yes, it probably would be a better solution, if you could create an accurate system."
General Centrist
Economic Left/Right: -1.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.49
Draconae is a WA Nation
Ambassador: Marcus Valorus
Author: Internet Neutrality Act
Tech Level: MT + ~30 years (Tier 6.5)
Magic: None (Level 0)
Influence: Regional Power (Type 5)

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Ambassador Pink re-entered the chamber, bearing a small energy sidearm. This was unusual for him, but his intent was not to harm. He fired the weapon at the ceiling; it made a loud zapping noise, followed immediately by the hum of the weapons nullifiers turning the laser projectile into a large stick of red licorice. It was loud enough to grab the attention of all but the most oblivious in the room.

"Sorry if that frightened anyone. Didn't want to be a hypocrite." He stated to the gathered Ambassadors, grabbing the licorice that had fallen from above. "Seeing as my schedule has freed up recently, I thought I'd give this one another go. I've integrated the suggested changes from the last session, by way of removing Clause 6b, expanding Clause 3b, and adding a new subclause, 4a." At this, he fired up the projector again, displaying the new draft on the wall above and behind him. "And please do remember:" he added, "If you see something that may invalidate the entire proposal, please, I beg you, tell me what it is." Pinks eyes narrowed slightly in the direction of one, now empty, desk, before sitting behind the podium, legs crossed, and beginning to snack on the newly created licorice.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Still opposed. But there is still ways to be compliant and not have to do most of what is required by this proposal.

Though 4a might contradict WAR 64. Particularly, the section that exempts producers and vendors from the WAFDRA regulations as long as they post notifications that their products do not meet international standards.
Last edited by Jarish Inyo on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:50 pm

"A very small contradiction, perhaps. On the verge of splitting hairs. I will consider changes, but it will be tricky to clarify the intent to keep the exemption without blocking future regulations or referencing GA64. Any more complaints?"

The Egyptian Pharocracial Suzerainty
Secretary

Founded: Jun 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Egyptian Pharocracial Suzerainty » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:30 am

Whovian Tardisia wrote:Allergen Labeling Standards
Category: Health | Area of Effect: Healthcare | Author: Whovian Tardisia

The World Assembly:

UNDERSTANDING that many individuals suffer from allergies or intolerances to certain foodstuffs, henceforth referred to as “food tolerance complications”,

CONSCIOUS of the fact that many food tolerance complications can be severe, and sometimes fatal, to those who possess them.

HOPING to improve the lives of individuals who suffer from food tolerance complications, by introducing tools to help prevent them from coming into contact with foods that may harm them,

HEREBY:

[list=1][*]REQUIRES member states to collect data at reasonable intervals on common food tolerance complications in their populations, and submit this data to the World Assembly Food and Drug Regulatory Agency,

[*]CLARIFIES that “data” in this case includes:

*snip!* yata yata yata...

We prefer to merely remove all of the warning labels and let Darwin sort it out.

Opposed.

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 am

Ehhhhh who's Darwin?
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:37 am

So I can't write: May contain, wheat, nuts, pork or milk. I have to categorise pork seperately or not at all? Does it matter why you can't eat it? You can't eat it, the reason why is irrelevant. Oppose this proposal for that reason
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:48 am

Whovian Tardisia wrote:If you see something that may invalidate the entire proposal, please, I beg you, tell me what it is.

OOC: To apply Banana's strict reading of the committee-only violation, yours currently falls flat with the same problem.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:02 am

Clause 1 is ridiculous. There may be some alien species out there which is allergic to water, yet, my modern tech only nation, strictly inhabit ted by humans only, would have to write: Allergine advice: may contain water (which is pretty much every real life product as it is)
Clause 6 could lead to many law suits
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 am

Australian Republic wrote:Clause 1 is ridiculous. There may be some alien species out there which is allergic to water, yet, my modern tech only nation, strictly inhabit ted by humans only, would have to write: Allergine advice: may contain water (which is pretty much every real life product as it is)

Doesn't clause 1 state, "in their populations?" If your population consists of aliens allergic to water you better damn well have that listed. Otherwise you don't since it only applies to "in their populations."
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Clause 6 could lead to many law suits

OOC: Only in sue-happy nations, because if you're buying a packet of nuts, you really shouldn't be warned that it may contain nuts... :roll:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Clause 6 could lead to many law suits

OOC: Only in sue-happy nations, because if you're buying a packet of nuts, you really shouldn't be warned that it may contain nuts... :roll:

Yes, wellfor most people tjat's true, but labels have to cater to the lowest common demoninator...

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Any competent court would find that a reasonable person would expect packaged nuts to contain nuts and does not need to be warned.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Aclion wrote:Any competent court would find that a reasonable person would expect packaged nuts to contain nuts and does not need to be warned.

"A competent court could also find that, where an item does not clearly contain nuts, an ordinary reasonable person would not know it contains nuts and therefore be unaware of the allergen. A competent court would also recognize the danger of allowing a loophole for those things which are "obvious," as that is a subjective assessment rather than an objective one. It would also recognize that carving out explicit loopholes would be more difficult than a universal labeling scheme.

"I'm beginning to wonder if you have any legal experience whatsoever, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Aclion wrote:Any competent court would find that a reasonable person would expect packaged nuts to contain nuts and does not need to be warned.

"A competent court could also find that, where an item does not clearly contain nuts, an ordinary reasonable person would not know it contains nuts and therefore be unaware of the allergen. A competent court would also recognize the danger of allowing a loophole for those things which are "obvious," as that is a subjective assessment rather than an objective one. It would also recognize that carving out explicit loopholes would be more difficult than a universal labeling scheme.

"I'm beginning to wonder if you have any legal experience whatsoever, ambassador."

"I'd like an example of a package of nuts covered under 6 that an ordinary reasonable person would not expect to contain nuts."

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I'm beginning to wonder if you have any legal experience whatsoever, ambassador."

"You might consider that you are not who I was talking about when I referred to a reasonable person."
Last edited by Aclion on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Aclion wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"A competent court could also find that, where an item does not clearly contain nuts, an ordinary reasonable person would not know it contains nuts and therefore be unaware of the allergen. A competent court would also recognize the danger of allowing a loophole for those things which are "obvious," as that is a subjective assessment rather than an objective one. It would also recognize that carving out explicit loopholes would be more difficult than a universal labeling scheme.

I'd like an example of a package of nuts that an ordinary reasonable person would not expect to contain nuts.

"Peanut oils a component of literally anything fried, be it fresh or preserved. Almond oils in baked goods. Pistachios or walnuts in Baklava. Ground nuts in pie crust."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Aclion wrote:I'd like an example of a package of nuts that an ordinary reasonable person would not expect to contain nuts.

"Peanut oils a component of literally anything fried, be it fresh or preserved. Almond oils in baked goods. Pistachios or walnuts in Baklava. Ground nuts in pie crust."

Celice: "I suggest you read clause 6 again... Very carefully. You will notice that it does not permit absence of allergen labeling on products that contain nuts. It simply does not require unnecessary labeling on products consisting entirely of an ingredient-. Labeling will still be required in baklava containing nuts and food fried in nut oil. This is why I don't consider you a reasonable person."
Adrianne: "And why she had that wine cooler installed under her desk.
Celice: Now that's not true."
Last edited by Aclion on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Once again, lowest common denominator (that means the really stupid people). Or the really cunning people looking for a quick buck. Sure, the company would probably win a law suite, but why in the hell would they want to put themselves in that position either way?

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:10 am

Australian Republic wrote:So I can't write: May contain, wheat, nuts, pork or milk. I have to categorise pork seperately or not at all? Does it matter why you can't eat it? You can't eat it, the reason why is irrelevant. Oppose this proposal for that reason

"If a high number of people in your nation were allergic/intolerant to pork, it would need to be listed as a possible contaminant. If not, it would likely fall under an ingredients list, if those are on your nation's packaging."

Araraukar wrote:
Whovian Tardisia wrote:If you see something that may invalidate the entire proposal, please, I beg you, tell me what it is.

OOC: To apply Banana's strict reading of the committee-only violation, yours currently falls flat with the same problem.

I will examine the proposal in due course to verify. Thank you.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly