NATION

PASSWORD

Draft: Repeal "Protecting Migratory Animals"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Draft: Repeal "Protecting Migratory Animals"

Postby Sandaoguo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Repeal "Protecting Migratory Animals"
Target Resolution: Text | Debate Thread

The General Assembly,

BELIEVING STRONGLY in the goal of conservation of migratory animals, because those animals have an important role in cross-border ecosystems,

ACUTELY AWARE that conservation efforts cannot be “one size fits all” and must be tailored to specific groups of animals in order to be truly effective,

APPLAUDING the intent of General Assembly Resolution #290, “Protecting Migratory Animals”, but believing that international conservation law needs to be more detailed and tailored to individual species and groups of species,

CONCERNED that “Protecting Migratory Animals” attempts to address conservation of all species of migratory animals, even when the conservation efforts of wildly different species pose unique challenges, such as the differences between migratory birds and migratory sharks, or the differences in conservation between endangered and non-endangered migratory animals,

CONCERNED FURTHERMORE that because the mandates in “Protecting Migratory Animals” are too vague and broad, the resolution poses a significant threat to the lives of migratory animals by creating too many holes in national and international conservation efforts,

RESOLVES that “Protecting Migratory Animals” is hereby repealed.

The General Assembly,

BELIEVING STRONGLY in the goal of conservation of migratory animals,

ACUTELY AWARE that conservation efforts cannot be “one size fits all” and must be tailored to specific groups of animals in order to be truly effective,

APPLAUDING the intent of General Assembly Resolution #290, “Protecting Migratory Animals”, but believing that international conservation law needs to be more detailed and tailored,

CONCERNED that “Protecting Migratory Animals” attempts to address conservation of all species of migratory animals, even when the conservation efforts of wildly different species pose unique challenges,

CONCERNED FURTHERMORE that the mandates in “Protecting Migratory Animals” are too vague and broad, which poses a significant threat to the effectiveness of the law and the lives of migratory animals,

Our goal with this repeal is to open up the broad spectrum of possible future proposals that deal with the conservation of migratory species. While the goal of the target resolution is laudable, it combines a bunch of different policy areas into a single thin resolution. Birds and sharks are regulated under the same resolution! The General Assembly can do more and can do better with more tailored resolutions.

文勋 Xūn Wén
Permanent Representative to the World Assembly
Last edited by Sandaoguo on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnejs
Issues Editor

Founded: May 11, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gnejs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Wilma pops in her head in on the way to the bathroom:

"Forgive me, but isn't the APPLAUDING and CONCERNED clauses essentially saying the same thing? Especially when you've got that ACUTELY AWARE at the top? Perhaps only one of them is needed?"

Wilma proceeds to the bathroom.

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Postby Sandaoguo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Gnejs wrote:Wilma pops in her head in on the way to the bathroom:

"Forgive me, but isn't the APPLAUDING and CONCERNED clauses essentially saying the same thing? Especially when you've got that ACUTELY AWARE at the top? Perhaps only one of them is needed?"

Wilma proceeds to the bathroom.

Repetition gets the point across!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:43 pm

OOC: Support, but why not posting this on G-R?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Postby Sandaoguo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Support, but why not posting this on G-R?

OOC: This is my WA account in TSP, plus I don't want my GenSec username color to discourage critique

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Sandaoguo wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Support, but why not posting this on G-R?

OOC: This is my WA account in TSP, plus I don't want my GenSec username color to discourage critique

OOC: Heh, fair enough, especially on the latter point.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Postby Sandaoguo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:25 pm

I have reworded the proposal slightly, and submitted a test run to gauge how much advocacy will be needed in the future.

文勋 Xūn Wén

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:32 pm

NORTH: We heartily support the spirit and the aims of this proposal.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:NORTH: We heartily support the spirit and the aims of this proposal.

Bell, reading between the lines, begins to laugh uncontrollably. In his mirth, he presses the Big Green FOR button.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Empire of Cats
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Cats » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Sandaoguo wrote:

The General Assembly,

BELIEVING STRONGLY in the goal of conservation of migratory animals, because those animals have an important role in cross-border ecosystems,

APPLAUDING the intent of General Assembly Resolution #290, “Protecting Migratory Animals”, but believing that international conservation law needs to be more detailed and tailored to individual species and groups of species,

CONCERNED that “Protecting Migratory Animals” attempts to address conservation of all species of migratory animals, even when the conservation efforts of wildly different species pose unique challenges, such as the differences between migratory birds and migratory sharks, or the differences in conservation between endangered and non-endangered migratory animals,

CONCERNED FURTHERMORE that because the mandates in “Protecting Migratory Animals” are too vague and broad, the resolution poses a significant threat to the lives of migratory animals by creating too many holes in national and international conservation efforts,

The General Assembly,

APPLAUDING the intent of General Assembly Resolution #290, “Protecting Migratory Animals”, but believing that international conservation law needs to be more detailed and tailored,

CONCERNED that “Protecting Migratory Animals” attempts to address conservation of all species of migratory animals, even when the conservation efforts of wildly different species pose unique challenges,

CONCERNED FURTHERMORE that the mandates in “Protecting Migratory Animals” are too vague and broad, which poses a significant threat to the effectiveness of the law and the lives of migratory animals,

Our goal with this repeal is to open up the broad spectrum of possible future proposals that deal with the conservation of migratory species. While the goal of the target resolution is laudable, it combines a bunch of different policy areas into a single thin resolution. Birds and sharks are regulated under the same resolution! The General Assembly can do more and can do better with more tailored resolutions.

文勋 Xūn Wén

Begging your pardon, but isn't it possible to just simply add an amendment to the original resolution instead of a constant add-take-revise-resubmit policy? Just a thought. Otherwise, I'm with you.

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:31 pm

Empire of Cats wrote:
Sandaoguo wrote:

The General Assembly,

The General Assembly,

文勋 Xūn Wén

Begging your pardon, but isn't it possible to just simply add an amendment to the original resolution instead of a constant add-take-revise-resubmit policy? Just a thought. Otherwise, I'm with you.

We can't amend resolutions. It's too hard for them to code it in, so we have to repeal and replace. I just hope there's a replacement.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Postby Sandaoguo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Ideally, there won't be a single replacement for this. The repeal argues that the World Assembly shouldn't try to address conservation of all migratory species in a single resolution. That, instead, we should be making more tailored resolutions about the conservation of different types of animals.

So, there should be many replacements, in effect.

文勋 Xūn Wén

Texsuccesusa Federation
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Texsuccesusa Federation » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:43 pm

A
Last edited by Texsuccesusa Federation on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:41 pm

I'll have to dig out my transnational habitats act.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Fairburn: It's all well and good stating that migratory animals of different species should have different regulations, but why? Try to give an example of the absurdity that is caused by one-size-fits-all legislation.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:17 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: It's all well and good stating that migratory animals of different species should have different regulations, but why? Try to give an example of the absurdity that is caused by one-size-fits-all legislation.

Fairburn, could you tell your nation's acting ambassador, miss Warner, that she shouldn't let you out of the hospital before you've collected your wits properly, and that if the insanity of legislating for all kinds of migratory animals from ants to whales in a single proposal doesn't sound crazy to you, maybe you should be committed there permanently.

OOC: Just poking fun at your forum siggy not having reinstated Fairburn as the proper ambassador yet and also because if memory serves, he pissed off Janis before he went away, nothing worse. :P

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Araraukar wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: It's all well and good stating that migratory animals of different species should have different regulations, but why? Try to give an example of the absurdity that is caused by one-size-fits-all legislation.

Fairburn, could you tell your nation's acting ambassador, miss Warner, that she shouldn't let you out of the hospital before you've collected your wits properly, and that if the insanity of legislating for all kinds of migratory animals from ants to whales in a single proposal doesn't sound crazy to you, maybe you should be committed there permanently.

Fairburn: We cannot leave out vital information on the basis that it is "too obvious". Otherwise, I could repeal NAPA by stating that the mere possession of nuclear weapons leads to puppies being killed and I could get out of explaining my argument by claiming that the reasoning is obvious.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: We cannot leave out vital information on the basis that it is "too obvious". Otherwise, I could repeal NAPA by stating that the mere possession of nuclear weapons leads to puppies being killed and I could get out of explaining my argument by claiming that the reasoning is obvious.

I would honestly want to see you try, so that the collective asskicking was joined in by the Secretariat...

OOC: :P

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 am

Araraukar wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: We cannot leave out vital information on the basis that it is "too obvious". Otherwise, I could repeal NAPA by stating that the mere possession of nuclear weapons leads to puppies being killed and I could get out of explaining my argument by claiming that the reasoning is obvious.

I would honestly want to see you try, so that the collective asskicking was joined in by the Secretariat...

OOC: :P

OOC: Why? It would technically be legal. Not that I wouldn't support a Repeal rule that requires the effects be logically connected to the resolution.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Why? It would technically be legal. Not that I wouldn't support a Repeal rule that requires the effects be logically connected to the resolution.

OOC: Fairly sure it'd fall under Honest Mistake, at least the way it's been applied in the last year or so.

EDIT: Also, I mean the Mods by "Secretariat". The GenSec don't exist IC.
Last edited by Araraukar on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Why? It would technically be legal. Not that I wouldn't support a Repeal rule that requires the effects be logically connected to the resolution.

OOC: Fairly sure it'd fall under Honest Mistake, at least the way it's been applied in the last year or so.

EDIT: Also, I mean the Mods by "Secretariat". The GenSec don't exist IC.

OOC: I knew we should have named this the Appellate Review Council Court Board of Lord Judge Secretaries And Also UNIBOT...

Anyway, lets not fall off topic.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:25 pm

"We stand against this repeal as the original resolution allows for enough leeway to react to these complaints risen."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:20 pm

"We also stand against, due to the fact that the vastness of this Assembly means that perhaps thousands of documents may be required to satisfy the request of the third clause."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 am

Whovian Tardisia wrote:"We also stand against, due to the fact that the vastness of this Assembly means that perhaps thousands of documents may be required to satisfy the request of the third clause."

"Why is that a bad thing?"

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43 pm

"It seems an absurdly vast amount of archive space to dedicate to such a relatively trivial topic, Ambassador. We feel the current resolution serves to avoid wasting WA time on this. If member states want more specific regulations, let them stipulate them for themselves. Besides, not all species reside in all member states, so most of those documents would not apply to a vast amount of member states."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly