NATION

PASSWORD

[IN QUEUE] The International Culture Movement

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

[IN QUEUE] The International Culture Movement

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Not my work.

Adopted with permission from the Borderlands of Rhovunion:

We of the World Assembly create the International Culture Movement (ICM), a week-long festival filled with the art, music, theatre, and other forms of culture expressed by various artists from around the world to create a more peaceful environment for nations worldwide.

NOTING that conflicts now appear to come from one common source; different political, religious, and cultural views.

BELIEVING that individuality must be maintained among members of the WA to create a continuously expanding society.

CONCERNED of the idea that conflict is like a weed; if we continue to let it grow, it will affect more and more members of the WA until the word ‘peace’ will become almost non-existent.

FURTHER BELIEVING that an event such as this will help promote positive social interactions that can help end conflicts peacefully and without the need for more bloodshed.

WE HEREBY:

ESTABLISH the International Culture Movement to contradict the various forms of conflict that affect many nations.

INVITES any member of the WA to participate as they wish, whether by sending acclaimed artists to present to the international public or simply spectate the event to their own choosing.

CALLS UPON those in conflict to hold themselves to personal cease-fires to ensure the sanctity of the ICM among artists and designers who wish to present themselves and their culture.

EXPRESSES ITS HOPE that if passed, the ICM will slowly but surely and effectively lower the rate of conflict seen among members of the WA.

So says we, the World Assembly.

Pretty obvious branding violation in the first clause, this should be removed, but it'll go to vote if it isn't, so I figured I'd start the thread.

EDIT: After a second look it might just be a really weird way to credit a co-author.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:19 pm

So says we, the World Assembly.

That's a really strange Operative Clause. And passive voice!

Also, it's already been "held" by GenSec.
Last edited by The Atlae Isles on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Speaking for myself only, the Branding violation is clear, while I believe the "Calls upon..." clause is sufficiently Operative to save it on that score. It would be the single mildest resolution in the history of the WA, of course, but technically that bit is enough to make it legal if the Branding violation suddenly vanished.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:54 pm

OOC: Original thread can be found here. The proposal that got submitted was the second draft, last we heard the author was going back to the drawing board.
The Riser delegate stands at just over six and a half feet tall and bears a vaguely humanoid shape. All other features are obscured by layers upon layers of elaborate robes and veils in varying patterns and weaves of silver, the hands are covered with meticulously wrapped strips of cloth so that only the tips of short nails are exposed, and even the voice is ambiguous. The plate on the Riser delegate's desk bears the Romanization "M'yullouand'inthouahuynn y yht Shoa Vouaniya A'alayoulin Luath'louad". Stuck to that, there is a large blue Post-it note with elegant handwriting that reads "Do not bother to try and pronounce this one's title. This one is simply the Riser delegate.".

Rhovunion
Attaché

Founded: Feb 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhovunion » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:59 pm

The Second Moon Rising wrote:OOC: Original thread can be found here. The proposal that got submitted was the second draft, last we heard the author was going back to the drawing board.

I was for a time, Second Moon Rising. I had a few telegram-to-telegram conversations with [Excidium Planetis][/nation] for a time, but he stopped sending me messages about the ICM. I also tried to talk to [Separatist Peoples][/nation] and my region's WA Delegate [Asmodeus of Lust][/nation], but they never got back to me. In the end, I decided to submit it to the GA and here we are now.

Also, to [Kaboomlandia][/nation], The Forodwaith is my primary nation that I use, but it's currently part of an American Civics-Class Region and our teacher doesn't want us to use the forum there or they'll just shut down the whole thing. So, I used Rhovunion to get opinions for people on my proposal and submitted it as The Forodwaith. I hope that doesn't sound underhanded or anything, I just was trying to use a loop-hole to try and participate in the WA a bit to get a feel on how the UN kinda works.

And for everyone else, if the Branding Violation is that important to you then you can bring it down before it gets to open vote, but I truly feel we need to address these kinds of changes to help better improve our co-existence as individual nations. I hope you can allow those who want this to be passed to have the chance to experience what it can bring to the WA and to the future.

-Rhovunion
Green for the rolling fields and forests of the Wilderlands and Mirkwood, White for the grand mountains of Moria, Blue for the flowing currents of the Anduin River, Black for the impenetrable ring of Isengard's walls, and Yellow for the golden trees that lay upon elder Lothlorien.
We swear to uphold the position of Councilmen to better provide for all peoples in Rhovunion from this day forth till the end of our lives.
Knowledge with Strength, Strength with Power.
Signed: Arch-Mage Luonmoth of Isengard, Lady Olthril of Mirkwood, and Lord Fin of Moria.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:43 am

I'm open to changing the Branding rule to allow placing co-author credit at the front like that, as an alternative to placing it at the end, if there is sufficiently widespread support (among the GA community, as well as in GenSec) for that change... but if we go just by precedent then I think that the end of the text is currently the only 'legal' placement.

Crediting another of your own nations as co-author or original author, when you did post some of the earlier work under that nation's name, is fine: I've done so myself, and a Mod ruled that that was okay.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Return to General Assembly