NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Freedom of Flight

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Grezantime
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

[Draft] Freedom of Flight

Postby Grezantime » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Also please suggest improvements! If you see any place for edits or revisions please tell me. Let me know if you see any possible violation of the rules but I will have a legality check before the submitting.
Category:Free Trade | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Grezantime

The World Assembly,
Recognizing the importance of international commercial flights.

Seeking to allow airlines easy access to conduct business.

Cognizant that there is no international law defining aviation freedoms.

Hereby grants the rights to,

(1)fly over sovereign airspace, in return for compensation, to the nation allowing the airspace to be used;

(2)land in a nation other than the original nation for a technical stop;

(3)stop in countries other than original nation to pick up passengers;

(4)a route that starts and ends in foreign nations;

(5)stop in any series of foreign nations as long as the final destination and start are the home country;
this part needs to be redone

(6)Restricts airline from establishing a route between two cities in a foreign country.
Last edited by Grezantime on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ensuring free movement of people where possible.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 am

Grezantime wrote:Any ideas for what category to go under?

Free Trade would be the best category for a proposal that attempts to enhance international air travel.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:19 am

You can easily shorten this a lot by using a 'Grants airlines (1) ... , (2) ... , (3) ...' structure rather than repeating it over and over again. I really like that you didn't format any of the principal words, keep it that way.

I don't understand what the last clause means, let alone does.

Christian Democrats wrote:Free Trade would be the best category for a proposal that attempts to enhance international air travel.

How does that remove barriers to commerce?
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Free Trade would be the best category for a proposal that attempts to enhance international air travel.

How does forbidding nations from excluding foreign commercial airliners from crossing their airspace promote commerce?

:eyebrow:

I hope it's obvious.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:22 am

Christian Democrats wrote:How does forbidding nations from excluding foreign commercial airliners from crossing their airspace promote commerce?

Because it doesn't actually force nations to do anything that removes barriers to commerce.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 am

Grezantime wrote:Any ideas for what category to go under? Also please suggest improvements! If you see any place for edits or revisions please tell me. Let me know if you see any possible violation of the rules but I will have a legality check before the submitting.
Category: ???? | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Grezantime

The World Assembly,

Hereby,

Grants airlines the right to fly over sovereign airspace, in return for compensation, to the nation allowing the airspace to be used;

Grants airlines the right to land in a nation other than the original nation for a technical stop;

Grants airlines the right to stop in countries other than original nation to pick up passengers;

Grants airlines the right to a route that starts and ends in foreign nations;

Grants airlines the right to stop in any series of foreign nations as long as the final destination and start are the home country;

Restricts airline from establishing a route between two cities in a foreign country.

Wouldn't Clauses 4 and 6 be in direct contradiction?
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:25 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:How does forbidding nations from excluding foreign commercial airliners from crossing their airspace promote commerce?

Because it doesn't actually force nations to do anything that removes barriers to commerce.

Forbidding foreign airlines from flying across your airspace is a barrier to travel.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Grezantime
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grezantime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

Calladan wrote:
Grezantime wrote:Any ideas for what category to go under? Also please suggest improvements! If you see any place for edits or revisions please tell me. Let me know if you see any possible violation of the rules but I will have a legality check before the submitting.
Category: ???? | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Grezantime

The World Assembly,

Hereby,

Grants airlines the right to fly over sovereign airspace, in return for compensation, to the nation allowing the airspace to be used;

Grants airlines the right to land in a nation other than the original nation for a technical stop;

Grants airlines the right to stop in countries other than original nation to pick up passengers;

Grants airlines the right to a route that starts and ends in foreign nations;

Grants airlines the right to stop in any series of foreign nations as long as the final destination and start are the home country;

Restricts airline from establishing a route between two cities in a foreign country.

Wouldn't Clauses 4 and 6 be in direct contradiction?

It's very poorly worded at the moment but what I was trying to do with clause 6 is protect domestic routes to make sure every country has the possibility for an airline (and hopefully a pass the proposal). So you can travel to country a to b but you can run a consistent route in just country a.

Grezantime
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grezantime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:02 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:You can easily shorten this a lot by using a 'Grants airlines (1) ... , (2) ... , (3) ...' structure rather than repeating it over and over again. I really like that you didn't format any of the principal words, keep it that way.

I don't understand what the last clause means, let alone does.

Alright I will definitely do the rights by doing that suggestion. Also is that last thing sarcasm or do you really not like the italics on the "command" word for each line?

Grezantime
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grezantime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:10 am

I just removed clause 6 unless I can find a better format and wording for clearly communicating it's purpose.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:14 am

"This entire proposal is difficult to read. I can't tell if the airlines have rights, or if nations are being compelled to allow an action. This would be a better fit for Free Trade if it was written as requirements for nations, i.e., Nations shall not restrict airlines from X, Y, and Z.

"Further, this line:
(1)fly over sovereign airspace, in return for compensation, to the nation allowing the airspace to be used;

Is different in construction from the rest. The following rights seem to apply to what a nation allows it's resident airlines to do. This seems to apply to what nations must allow foreign airlines to do. Further, granting a right to use airspace contingent on permission undermines the idea that it is, in fact, a right. If it is revocable, it's clearly a privilege."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Grezantime
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grezantime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"This entire proposal is difficult to read. I can't tell if the airlines have rights, or if nations are being compelled to allow an action. This would be a better fit for Free Trade if it was written as requirements for nations, i.e., Nations shall not restrict airlines from X, Y, and Z.

"Further, this line:

Is different in construction from the rest. The following rights seem to apply to what a nation allows it's resident airlines to do. This seems to apply to what nations must allow foreign airlines to do. Further, granting a right to use airspace contingent on permission undermines the idea that it is, in fact, a right. If it is revocable, it's clearly a privilege."

Okay I will change the wording to make it more align to free trade. Thank you for the help.

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:08 am

Why should nations be forced to let aircraft into their territory? How are nations to protect their borders if anyone can just fly into them without clearance to do so?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:03 am

Grezantime wrote:Hereby grants the rights to,

Who or what are you giving these rights to? Because clause 4 has you giving rights to a route. Not an airliner or plane pilot, but a route. I'm fairly sure that's not intended language.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Grezantime
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Grezantime » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:Why should nations be forced to let aircraft into their territory? How are nations to protect their borders if anyone can just fly into them without clearance to do so?

Im pretty sure there are no armed airlines though I may be wrong.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Grezantime wrote:Im pretty sure there are no armed airlines though I may be wrong.

NORTH: I hope you realise that planes are weapons by virtue of their large weight, high speed, and the fact they are carrying huge amounts of fuel.

OOC: If you don't believe that planes are weapons, I would direct you to a little-known attack on the 11th of September 2001.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:33 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Grezantime wrote:Im pretty sure there are no armed airlines though I may be wrong.

NORTH: I hope you realise that planes are weapons by virtue of their large weight, high speed, and the fact they are carrying huge amounts of fuel.

OOC: If you don't believe that planes are weapons, I would direct you to a little-known attack on the 11th of September 2001.

And even if they aren't used as actual ballistic missiles, you can hide a lot of surveillance equipment on a civilian airliner. And it has the advantage that a lot of civilian planes might be the wrong shape to be picked up by anti-aircraft system (for the very reason that most AA systems are not designed for shooting down civilian aircraft).
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:12 am

OOC: I do not actively participate here anymore, but you might want to note that all five freedoms of the air are not automatically granted even in an IRL context.

Granting them en masse in a NS context is going to be disingenuous.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Texsuccesusa Federation
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Texsuccesusa Federation » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm

A
Last edited by Texsuccesusa Federation on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 am

OOC: Considering the author has the resolution text hidden in a spoiler with a tag "this needs redoing", then perhaps further debate ought to wait for them to re-do the text?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Rightport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rightport » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Rightport will not support this.
Office of the Permanent Representative of Rightport to the World Assembly

Department of International Affairs

All Rights Reserved © Government | Rightport

SHORCOUT
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby SHORCOUT » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:12 am

I will support this draft but.....
What if the nation is barred from reaching the airspace of any other nation?

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:54 am

Grezantime wrote:
Jarish Inyo wrote:Why should nations be forced to let aircraft into their territory? How are nations to protect their borders if anyone can just fly into them without clearance to do so?

Im pretty sure there are no armed airlines though I may be wrong.

That doesn't answer the question. Why should any nation be forced to allow any nation to fly so called 'civilian' aircraft through any part of their territory? And try to actually answer this time.
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly