NATION

PASSWORD

[ABANDONED] Freedom of Movement

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jarish Inyo
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 am

How does his effect nations that don't issue visitor visas to anyone? And why should such nations be forced to issue them?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:34 am

Jarish Inyo wrote:How does his effect nations that don't issue visitor visas to anyone? And why should such nations be forced to issue them?

"It look like you can still do that, per the final clause. It just says that you can't refuse visas purely on the grounds of other places the people have, in the past, visited. If you don't issue visas in the first place, nothing changes. It seems to me to be little more than a ban on nationality discrimination in a very narrow area.

"Since it allows heightened preventative measures based on nationality, it would be a simple thing to find practical reasons to bar entry, if a nation even allows tourism in the first place."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"It seems to me to be little more than a ban on nationality discrimination in a very narrow area."

In that case it could be called a strength violation.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Southern Astrania
Envoy

Founded: Nov 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Official Response:

Postby Southern Astrania » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:28 am

"We believe that a nations right to protect their borders no matter what happens, is sacred to a nations sovereignty. Thus, if this legislation is drafted into a bill, we will vote against it, and urge all other Nations to do so, for the sake of national sovereignty, and independence.''

-Jeffrey Colvin, World Assembly Senator Delegate For Southern Astrania
His Majesty, William Bassett IV

Europe and Oceania
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Europe and Oceania » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:39 am

We support this.
"For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either" --Blaise Pascal

"The Republican Party is not even a party anymore, it's just a group of Christian Fundamentalists and representatives for Corporate America."
--Kyle Kulinski, Host of Secular Talk

WA Delegate and Founder of New Utopian World

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Araraukar wrote:There are various degrees of two nations not being on good terms that fall short of an active war, so it seems very unfair to require the declaration of war to prevent possible spies from entering your country.

Barbera: You may implement more restrictive vetting procedures to weed out spies, but if a traveller is proven not to be a spy or otherwise a threat to your nation and has gone through the proper immigration procedures, on what good-faith basis may you refuse their entry?

Christian Democrats wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Barbera: Clause Three mandates that member states recognise the passports issued by other member states, so your point is moot.

No, your answer misses the point. What if A does not consider B to be a member state?

Barbera: I beg your pardon?

Sophista wrote:We join with the Delegate from Araraukar in asserting there are a number of circumstances other than open conflict where we would prefer to categorically deny entry to citizens of a specific nation, including but not limited to the outbreak of infectious disease, unchecked smuggling or human trafficking, or evidence of state-sponsored terrorism.

Barbera: We agree that those are all legitimate reasons to deny entry, but unless you can provide evidence that every single citizen of a particular nation falls into one of those categories, a blanket ban on travel would be, in our opinion, disproportionate and a violation of due process.

Harold: Clearly, everyone from Sophista is diseased, a smuggler, a trafficker or a terrorist. Ban all Sophistans! Make the States of Glory WA Office Great Again!

Barbera: Oh, please. We both know that it was never great to begin with.

Sophista wrote:Separate to this concern, a broad prohibition does little without a means to verify the intent behind any specific visa revocation or refusal. Might it be coincidence that every traveler from the States of Glory WA has been denied permission to enter the Federated States of Sophista? We might, after discovering a spy network within our borders, decide that any citizen of a particular nation presents an espionage risk. Surely the Delegate does not expect us to provide sensitive national security information to justify every refusal. What recourse exists, then, for a nation that feels its citizens are being rejected de facto on the basis of citizenship, but de jure on some other, secret criterion?

Barbera: This is a fair criticism and we will seek to rectify that as soon as possible. (OOC: When RL is not being unkind, that is)

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Parsons remarks, 'We find Minister Hillaker's comments vis-à-vis quite persuasive in favour of the need to have some manner or level of border controls. From there, we will reiterate our opposition to this proposal'.

Barbera: We request that you point to the clauses in this draft that prohibit member states from implementing border controls.

Araraukar wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"It seems to me to be little more than a ban on nationality discrimination in a very narrow area."

In that case it could be called a strength violation.

I disagree. This proposal deals with preserving due process and equality, which are significant issues. This also requires member states to recognise each other's passports, another significant issue. Clauses One, Two and Three restrict member states' interactions with other nations, Clause Three facilitates international cooperation, Clauses Five and Seven are meant to appease the more hyper-nationalistic and isolationist members while Clause Six takes power away from the WA. I'd argue that my proposal is significant enough for the 'Significant' strength.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:36 pm

OOC: I've made some changes, but if the character limit is still 3,500 then the current draft is too long.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:05 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:No, your answer misses the point. What if A does not consider B to be a member state?

Barbera: I beg your pardon?

"We believe the fact that A has joined the WA in the first place serves as A de facto recognizing all other members states as member states. We also, however, understand an issue may arise if there is an insurrection, and the deposed government retains the WA seat. For these situations, it may be worth rephrasing Clause 2."
Last edited by Whovian Tardisia on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Whovian Tardisia wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Barbera: I beg your pardon?

"We believe the fact that A has joined the WA in the first place serves as A de facto recognizing all other members states as member states. We also, however, understand an issue may arise if there is an insurrection, and the deposed government retains the WA seat. For these situations, it may be worth rephrasing Clause 2."

Barbera: If the government-in-exile retains the seat then the insurrection government would be a non-member state and any citizen or national of the insurrection government would no longer be protected by Clause Two.

If the World Assembly maintains that the government-in-exile is a member state while the insurrection government is not a member state then why should the insurrection government receive the protections guaranteed by the World Assembly to member states?

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Fairburn: We have managed to trim this down to 3,617 characters, but we can go no further. Suggestions on how to shorten this damn thing would be much appreciated.

Calladan
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Calladan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:51 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: We have managed to trim this down to 3,617 characters, but we can go no further. Suggestions on how to shorten this damn thing would be much appreciated.

You could use the assumption that everyone understands WA resolutions only apply to member states, and that the phrase "nations" or "members" or "states" or other such thing implicitly implies that fact unless otherwise states. That would mean not writing out "member states" every time (saving 7 characters, which would add up).

I never entirely understood why people don't understand that.
Tara A McGill, Ambassador to Lucinda G Doyle III
"Always be yourself, unless you can be Zathras. Then be Zathras"
A Rough Guide To Calladan | The Seven Years of Darkness | Ambassador McGill's Facebook Page
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, providing they are Christian & white" - Trump

Uruguistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Uruguistan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 pm

The governments of sovereign countries should be reserved the right to refuse visas to anyone they deem so.
A United Nations of Earthlings member. WA Delegate.

Member of the Montevideo Treaty.

Rightport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rightport » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 am

The Government of Rightport will not support this.
Office of the Permanent Representative of Rightport to the World Assembly

Department of International Affairs

All Rights Reserved © Government | Rightport

Marzicon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Marzicon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 am

Call me if I'm wrong, but can't you read Clauses 1 and 9 as contradictory?

My argument: If I want to shut down a border, I'd eliminate access to visas, no? So why then do you bar me from performing said-action in the first Clause?

Wabbia
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wabbia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:Fairburn: We have managed to trim this down to 3,617 characters, but we can go no further. Suggestions on how to shorten this damn thing would be much appreciated.

Remove all the remaining characters, this will never pass.
Blue like the sky above Wabbia, a representation of its beauty and peace
Red for a strong republic, which unites the country
Green to symbolize the verdant land and people of Wabbia

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Rightport wrote:The Government of Rightport will not support this.

Fairburn: Our Delegation appreciates your insightful arguments.

Marzicon wrote:Call me if I'm wrong, but can't you read Clauses 1 and 9 as contradictory?

My argument: If I want to shut down a border, I'd eliminate access to visas, no? So why then do you bar me from performing said-action in the first Clause?

Fairburn: In your case, you're not eliminating access to visas based on the countries that someone has visited; you're eliminating access to visas based on the fact that you don't want anyone to come into your nation. There's a difference; one is discrimination while the other is indiscriminate.

Wabbia wrote:

Remove all the remaining characters, this will never pass.

Fairburn: I didn't realise that you were suddenly an expert, Ambassador Whatshisname. You are aware that a resolution on beekeeping was passed, right?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 am

Combine clauses in the absurdly long preamble.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:

Combine clauses in the absurdly long preamble.

"As well, we see Clause 7 as antithetical to the whole piece. A nation would only need to close down their borders completely if there was a pandemic or plague. That would be a good exemption to replace Clause 7. Many nations may invoke Clause 7 as protest to passage."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Secundus Imperium Romanum
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Secundus Imperium Romanum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:09 am

Giulia Maccini: Is it really necessary to leave our borders extremely isolated? Will this affect trade?
Secundus Imperium Romanum
A democratic nation, with the 1950s fashion.
Constitution · Parliamentary Debates · News · Embassy Program
Every day in Rome

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:31 am

"Ambassador Fairburn, you'd have an easier time with this resolution by not trying to sneak a full-blown international court of civil claims into the WA ballroom through the garbage-strewn alley-facing back window of the badly-lit men's restroom of a fairly minor border control regulation. I strongly suggest removing all of Clause 6 and spinning it off into an entirely separate resolution, where it belongs, and where you can put the appropriate powers and limits on it. It doesn't really have a place in this draft."
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am

OOC: "Court of International Jurisdiction" <-- an existing committee or one created by this proposal? And if latter, needs to actually be created. Also, I thought we weren't allowed to have international courts without repealing something?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: "Court of International Jurisdiction" <-- an existing committee or one created by this proposal? And if latter, needs to actually be created. Also, I thought we weren't allowed to have international courts without repealing something?

OOC: GAR #312 "On Universal Jurisdiction" explicitly prevents the WA from creating an international court to hear criminal cases or otherwise officially prosecute violations of international law; but conveniently does not mention anything about civil claims (i.e. someone wrongs you somehow, so you lawyer up and sue the pants off of them).

Such a court would be an interesting addition to the WA corpus, particularly for its implications as to compliance; and deserves its own resolution rather than being lashed haphazardly to this one with bungee cords and chewing gum.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: "Court of International Jurisdiction" <-- an existing committee or one created by this proposal? And if latter, needs to actually be created. Also, I thought we weren't allowed to have international courts without repealing something?

OOC: The committee would ideally be created by Banishment Ban before this proposal passes and as SL mentioned, civil courts are a-OK.

Edit: Also, due to RL issues, I won't be on NS for about a month, so I won't be able to reply to any comments on this draft or on any of my other drafts.
Last edited by States of Glory WA Office on Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Allied States of New York
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Allied States of New York » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:35 pm

This is a great idea since allowing people to travel more freely may increase tourism. It may help the economy by providing cheap labor and increasing the domestic demand for goods and services.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:26 am

The Allied States of New York wrote:It may help the economy by providing cheap labor and increasing the domestic demand for goods and services.

I really have to wonder how you figure out that bringing in cheap labour from foreign countries would help domestic economy? Wouldn't the cheaper foreign labour mean that more expensive domestic labour would become unemployed, and thus both the good-producing and and service-providing would be done by the cheap foreign labour, leaving any profits going into their pockets as well? You'd end up with mass unemployment, and your nation is forced to take care of them nevertheless. It's also probable that if the foreigners came from even poorer countries that they would be sending part of their wages back to their home nation1, rather than spend it in yours.

1OOC: This is the 2nd biggest national income for El Salvador, right after exporting coffee.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly