NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Open Internet Order

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thailand Special Administrative Region
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Thailand Special Administrative Region » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Araraukar wrote:*snip*

Thanks! I will shorten the summary and make it similar to a "preamble".

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Thailand Special Administrative Region wrote:Thanks! I will shorten the summary and make it similar to a "preamble".

OOC: You can look through the Passed Resolutions list to see how preamble is usually constructed.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Thailand Special Administrative Region » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:57 pm

UPDATED DRAFT

Open Internet Order

| Category: Education & Free Press | Area of Affect: Free Press | Proposed By: Thailand Special Administrative Region |

This Open Internet Order provides strong protections while implementing effective measures that prohibit Internet Service Providers from harming an Open Internet and therefore:

I: Defines the following:
    "Internet Service Provider" as any entity that provides anyone access to the internet.
    "Reasonable Network Management" allows Internet Service Providers to throttle access to lawful content on the basis of: avoiding network congestion (Demand vs Resources) or contractual obligations (Depending on the service plan).
    "Lawful" allowed by international law and/or national law (If international law and national law conflict, the Internet Service Provider may use their implied discretionary powers and choose which law to give preference).
    "Zero-rating" exempting any content from data caps.

II: Prohibits Internet Service Providers from:
    • Blocking and throttling access to lawful content;
    • Prioritizing any content on the basis of receiving payments (monetary or otherwise);
    • Zero-rating any content on the basis of directly and/or indirectly receiving any gain (monetary or otherwise).

III: Requires Internet Service Providers to disclose:
    • Any and all pricing information related to the service plan;
    • Any and all fees related to the service plan;
    • Any and all data caps related to the service plan as well as the consequences of exceeding the cap.

IV: Permits Internet Service Providers to employ, reasonable network management controls.

V: Clarifies that Internet Service Providers still have jurisdiction over their pricing structure and reiterates that is Open Internet Order doesn't require Internet Service Providers to expand their network (reach).

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:20 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Furthermore, the word 'Internet' should be capitalised (although its genericisation proceeds).

OOC: If it's capitalised (and its meaning within the NS multiverse isn't defined in the text) then it probably counts as a RL reference.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Thailand Special Administrative Region » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:25 pm

Shall I submit this resolution to the General Assembly?

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Thailand Special Administrative Region wrote:Shall I submit this resolution to the General Assembly?

You should not. It's not ready yet, neither in form nor content.

OOC: Also, capitalized i in Internet makes it a RL reference, like Bears said.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Thailand Special Administrative Region wrote:Shall I submit this resolution to the General Assembly?
You should not. It's not ready yet, neither in form nor content.

"I concur."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Thailand Special Administrative Region » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Bears Armed wrote:*snip*

Bakhton wrote:*snip*

I disagree on the topic of capitalization and their "RL reference". Period! Also, please take note that all resolutions directly and/or indirectly make "assumptions" based on "RL reference".

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Thailand Special Administrative Region wrote:I disagree on the topic of capitalization and their "RL reference". Period! Also, please take note that all resolutions directly and/or indirectly make "assumptions" based on "RL reference".

OOC: It's not the only issue, just one of many. But it's a valid one. "Internet" isn't just a generic reference to a global information network, it's a name. Just like your name or my name or the name of any real life thing. If you wrote a proposal about neutral ground for meetings about upkeep of polar icecaps, and named the place Iceland, it'd be a real life reference all the same, no matter what you wanted it to mean.

There's a simple solution around it and that has been pointed out to you before.

But, I repeat, it is not the only issue.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Thailand Special Administrative Region wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:*snip*

Bakhton wrote:*snip*

I disagree on the topic of capitalization and their "RL reference". Period! Also, please take note that all resolutions directly and/or indirectly make "assumptions" based on "RL reference".

OOC: You don't have to agree with it. That's the way the rules are.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Thailand Special Administrative Region » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:*snip*

OOC: "It is not the only issue"? May I get clarification on this, please... Also, thanks for you feedback ;)

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Thailand Special Administrative Region » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 pm

BUMP

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Thailand Special Administrative Region wrote:BUMP

OOC: You don't really need to bump things on the first page on GA forum, unless you've added new material.

OOC: The author reminded me that this needed looking through. The last couple of weeks were so busy with real life stuff that I completely forgot about this.

IC: Alrighty then, let's have a looksee into the innards of this beastie. *pulls out the Proposal ScalpelTM*

Thailand Special Administrative Region wrote:Category: Education & Free Press
Area of Affect: Free Press

I still contest this choice of category and area of effect as being unsuitable. This does nothing to raise educational budgets or support free press. Just because something similar was once passed in the category, does not make it the correct one. And that one was repealed partly due to its inconsistencies with the reality of network access costs, a mistake which this one seems to be intent on repeating.

This Open Internet Order provides strong protections while implementing effective measures that prohibit Internet Service Providers from harming an Open Internet and therefore:

I suggest writing a proper preamble and not a weird descriptive sentence like this. Resolutions are meant to be written as laws, with the preamble being there to convince the various member nations that the increased costs are a good idea internationally. You really need to work on this part.

I: Defines the following:

OOC: I suggest using the list code 1) properly and 2) to give the subclauses letters. It makes referring to them easier.

"Internet Service Provider" as any entity that provides anyone access to the internet.

This would make any burger joint that has wireless network free for use for their customer an "Internet Service Provider". I don't think that's what you meant by this. (OOC: Also, "Internet" is still a RL thing and thus makes this illegal.)

"Reasonable Network Management" allows Internet Service Providers to throttle access to lawful content on the basis of: avoiding network congestion (Demand vs Resources) or contractual obligations (Depending on the service plan).

Access to content or access to the network? Referring to congestion seems to refer to the latter. Also, what's with the random capitalization of the first letters of words?

"Lawful" allowed by international law and/or national law (If international law and national law conflict, the Internet Service Provider may use their implied discretionary powers and choose which law to give preference).

I don't think you need to define "lawful". You do need to define "lawful content", however. And are you really giving the ISPs the right to break national laws if they want? Because many nations may take WA resolutions as the minimum level and make national laws tighter. You're trying to empower the ISPs to break the possibly tighter regulations of national laws. (OOC: Think of hate speech restrictions. A WA resolution gives nations the right to restrict it further.) I really can't see any sane nation agreeing to this.

"Zero-rating" exempting any content from data caps.

I don't think I've ever heard of this term before. Can you further explain it to me?

II: Prohibits Internet Service Providers from:

OOC: Same thing about using the list code with letters goes for all the 3 lists of things. If you have trouble with the code, let me know.

Blocking and throttling access to lawful content;

What do you mean by "throttling access"?

Prioritizing any content on the basis of receiving payments (monetary or otherwise);

And this, "prioritizing"? Does it, for example, mean that they're not allowed to prioritize access to lawful content at the expense of unlawful? You use "any content" here, instead of "lawful content". That might be breaking national laws.

Zero-rating any content on the basis of directly and/or indirectly receiving any gain (monetary or otherwise).

Again this zero-rating nonsense. What if the nation has a law that requires that all mobile telephones must be allowed to call the emergency services, whether or not they use the mobile data or network data plans? If such calls were not excempt from any cap or whatever this zero-rating stuff is, the ISP would be breaking the national laws.

III: Requires Internet Service Providers to disclose:

Disclose to whom?

Any and all pricing information related to the service plan;
Any and all fees related to the service plan;

How are "fees" different from "pricing information"?

Any and all data caps related to the service plan as well as the consequences of exceeding the cap.

But I thought they weren't allowed to restrict access to lawful content? Why would they be allowed to set caps?

IV: Permits Internet Service Providers to employ, reasonable network management controls.

You should perhaps put this further up, but even then you're now self-contradicting. If you're allowed to set data caps and stop people from connecting to the net if it would make everyone else's connection crawl (congestion), then you can't be prohibited from "blocking and throttling access to lawful content".

V: Clarifies that Internet Service Providers still have jurisdiction over their pricing structure and reiterates that is Open Internet Order doesn't require Internet Service Providers to expand their network (reach).

This clause looks to be more self-contradiction and also it looks like it was a leftover from a previous draft that didn't get fully cleaned and spell-checked before being made public.
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly