NATION

PASSWORD

[ON HOLD] International Cultural Expositions

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

[ON HOLD] International Cultural Expositions

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04 pm

It's a new year, and this is back. I really mean to see it put through this time, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. There's probably a lot of cleaning up I still have to do from previous versions, but this is an idea that I believe is important, and I feel like perhaps at last the time is ripe for it once more.

International Cultural Expositions
A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity
Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage
Proposed by: Astrolinium

Description: THE WORLD ASSEMBLY,

NOTING the vast cultural heritage, staggering advancements, and rich, diverse traditions of its member states,

REMEMBERING its goal of "improving the world one resolution at a time",

BELIEVING that the recognition, preservation, and promotion of its member states' cultures and advancements is of the utmost importance in an increasingly global world,

HEREBY DECLARES that an International Cultural Exposition be held each year for the purpose of fostering international goodwill, recognizing the cultures of member states, and promoting peace and understanding between members,

DECLARES that these International Cultural Expositions shall be public exhibitions of the cultures of WA member states with accompanying amusement and entertainment, for the delight and enrichment of local populaces and visiting tourists,

ESTABLISHES the International Expositions Authority (IEA) to regulate these expositions and to select by means of fair and just criteria a suitable city within the jurisdiction of a WA member state each year for the purposes of hosting this exposition,

STIPULATES that chosen cities have the right to refuse their nomination and shall be selected far enough in advance for all necessary preparations to be made,

NOTES that, if no suitable city can be found in a timely manner for a given year's exposition, the exposition shall be held in international neutral territory, with the event space to be managed and overseen by the World Assembly Office of Building Management,

INVITES any and all member states to set up pavilions, booths, or other forms of exhibitions at these expositions by which they may showcase their achievements and unique culture to citizens of the world,

ALLOWS member states to charge reasonable fees for entry and use of services/facilities in order to help ameliorate the burden of the costs, and to seek assistance from private entities for the same purpose,

EMPHASIZES that the host nation retains the following rights:
  • to bar entry to individuals whose presence constitutes a clear and immediate danger
  • to expel foreign individuals from the exposition should they break the laws of the host nation
  • to place a reasonable numerical limit on the quantity of nations which may set up exhibitions, pursuant to the limitations of the event space
  • to impose individual standards which respect the purposes and means of this resolution;
FURTHER NOTES that the host nation may not expel or prevent the participation of member states or individuals due solely to their ideologies, cultural practices, or other beliefs unless the aforementioned ideologies, cultural practices, or other beliefs present a clear and present danger to the national security of the hosting state or to the safety of those in attendance at these expositions, or would constitute a violation of other WA policies,

EMPOWERS the IEA to send representatives to these expositions for purposes of determining what constitutes a "clear and present danger".

NOTING the vast cultural heritage, staggering advancements, and rich, diverse traditions of its member states,

BELIEVING that the recognition, preservation, and promotion of its member states' cultures and advancements is of the utmost importance in an increasingly global world,

HEREBY DECLARES that an International Cultural Exposition be held each year for the purpose of fostering international goodwill, recognizing the cultures of member states, and promoting peace and understanding between members,

DECLARES that these International Cultural Expositions shall be public exhibitions of the cultures of WA member states with accompanying amusement and entertainment, for the delight and enrichment of local populaces,

ESTABLISHES the International Expositions Authority (IEA) to regulate these expositions and to select by means of fair and just criteria a suitable city within the jurisdiction of a WA member state each year for the purposes of hosting this exposition,

STIPULATES that chosen cities have the right to refuse their nomination and shall be selected far enough in advance for all necessary preparations to be made,

INVITES any and all member states to set up pavilions, booths, or other forms of exhibitions at these expositions by which they may showcase their achievements and unique culture to citizens of the world,

ALLOWS member states to charge reasonable fees for entry and use of services/facilities in order to help ameliorate the burden of the costs, and to seek assistance from private entities for the same purpose,

• to bar entry to individuals whose presence constitutes a clear and immediate danger
  • to expel foreign individuals from the exposition should they break the laws of the host nation
  • to impose individual standards which respect the purposes and means of this resolution;
FURTHER NOTES that the host nation may not expel or prevent the participation of member states or individuals due solely to their ideologies, cultural practices, or other beliefs unless the aforementioned ideologies, cultural practices, or other beliefs present a clear and present danger to the national security of the hosting state or to the safety of those in attendance at these expositions, or would constitute a violation of other WA policies,

EMPOWERS the IEA to send representatives to these expositions for purposes of determining what constitutes a "clear and present danger".
Last edited by Astrolinium on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Lara Qzu returns from a dramatic bar session to her seat. “All right, what have we here?”

“I certainly know there’s a couple cultures I don’t want to promote.”
DECLARES that these International Cultural Expositions shall be public exhibitions of the cultures of WA member states with accompanying amusement and entertainment, for the delight and enrichment of local populaces,

“Pluralism. I can dig it.”
*rest of proposal*

“I don’t see much of a problem or much of a change to member nations’ policies,” Lara chews on a pen before standing up. “Ah screw it, why not? Sure, I support it. Whoa.” Lara grabs her desk dizzy still a bit buzzed. "Jeffrey, help me."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Kitzerland
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kitzerland » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

"Ameliorate? huh?"
terrible takes plz ignore

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Kitzerland wrote:"Ameliorate? huh?"

"Means 'make it better'. I was feeling fancy that day. I think I was also in my Marxist phase."
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Bell tosses over a dictionary. "You really need to keep one on yourself around here."

Bakhton wrote:“I certainly know there’s a couple cultures I don’t want to promote.”

"A dangerous philosophy."

"Unfortunately, I don't see the utility of this proposal. I just don't see what is lost by not holding a World Fair. Its well written, but I'm not convinced of any tangible benefit."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:

Bell tosses over a dictionary. "You really need to keep one on yourself around here."

Bakhton wrote:“I certainly know there’s a couple cultures I don’t want to promote.”

"A dangerous philosophy."

"Unfortunately, I don't see the utility of this proposal. I just don't see what is lost by not holding a World Fair. Its well written, but I'm not convinced of any tangible benefit."

"It allows citizens of member states to expose themselves to a diverse variety of different cultures and so open their minds, as well as allowing them to experience a first taste of these cultures without quite the personal cost that international travel often has. Furthermore, it promotes the free flow and exchange of ideas, and would serve as sort of a poster child for exactly the kind of globalized self-improvement that this organization strives to cause. Imagine all the ways that the Dominion could promote itself to the world at large at such an event: you would foster international goodwill towards your nation, you could show off its accomplishments, and who knows, maybe attract a few tourists who are sufficiently enamored by your pavilion."
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:19 pm

The Riser delegate stands up, holding its copy of the proposal. "This one appreciates the spirit of the proposal, but this one questions the viability. There is over twenty-six thousand nations in the World Assembly. Even if one were to be overly dramatic in assuming that all nations would want to send representatives to each event, and what would constitute a threat to national security and/or populaces excludes fifty percent of the nations from sending representatives to each event, a nation could still be looking at thirteen thousand nations applying to participate per event. The time, space, and resources required for hosting such a crowd could be difficult for a large, well-off nation to manage. A small, not-so-well-off nation, this could near impossible to do even every ten years, without negatively impacting their own people and lands."
The Riser delegate stands at just over six and a half feet tall and bears a vaguely humanoid shape. All other features are obscured by layers upon layers of elaborate robes and veils in varying patterns and weaves of silver, the hands are covered with meticulously wrapped strips of cloth so that only the tips of short nails are exposed, and even the voice is ambiguous. The plate on the Riser delegate's desk bears the Romanization "M'yullouand'inthouahuynn y yht Shoa Vouaniya A'alayoulin Luath'louad". Stuck to that, there is a large blue Post-it note with elegant handwriting that reads "Do not bother to try and pronounce this one's title. This one is simply the Riser delegate.".

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:32 pm

The Second Moon Rising wrote:The Riser delegate stands up, holding its copy of the proposal. "This one appreciates the spirit of the proposal, but this one questions the viability. There is over twenty-six thousand nations in the World Assembly. Even if one were to be overly dramatic in assuming that all nations would want to send representatives to each event, and what would constitute a threat to national security and/or populaces excludes fifty percent of the nations from sending representatives to each event, a nation could still be looking at thirteen thousand nations applying to participate per event. The time, space, and resources required for hosting such a crowd could be difficult for a large, well-off nation to manage. A small, not-so-well-off nation, this could near impossible to do even every ten years, without negatively impacting their own people and lands."

"Firstly, I think it highly unlikely that even half of nations should send representatives to every event -- if one is being reasonable and interpreting in good faith, only those nations which find it more or less convenient to set up an exhibit would be likely to send one. Secondly, the IEA will only choose suitable cities -- cities which cannot handle the burden of one of these expositions would not be considered, as per what the resolution itself states. That said, I shall think about how I might best implement a clause which allows nations to limit participants based on available space, as that is potentially a valid concern."
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Astrolinium wrote:"It allows citizens of member states to expose themselves to a diverse variety of different cultures and so open their minds, as well as allowing them to experience a first taste of these cultures without quite the personal cost that international travel often has. Furthermore, it promotes the free flow and exchange of ideas, and would serve as sort of a poster child for exactly the kind of globalized self-improvement that this organization strives to cause. Imagine all the ways that the Dominion could promote itself to the world at large at such an event: you would foster international goodwill towards your nation, you could show off its accomplishments, and who knows, maybe attract a few tourists who are sufficiently enamored by your pavilion."

"So it shifts the burden off the individual to the WA, which comes out of the pockets of member nations. Less cost, certainly, but the infrastructure for managing an international organization of this kind would still merit a significant cost, distinct from the costs participating nations would shoulder.

"The Confederate Dominion, for the record, doesn't much concern itself with goodwill fostered from a source that isn't a homeland defense carrier group, and would, as a result, protest at the inevitable increased costs that unnecessary WA infrastructure would create. I imagine this is an irreconcilable philosophical difference."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Astrolinium wrote:"It allows citizens of member states to expose themselves to a diverse variety of different cultures and so open their minds, as well as allowing them to experience a first taste of these cultures without quite the personal cost that international travel often has. Furthermore, it promotes the free flow and exchange of ideas, and would serve as sort of a poster child for exactly the kind of globalized self-improvement that this organization strives to cause. Imagine all the ways that the Dominion could promote itself to the world at large at such an event: you would foster international goodwill towards your nation, you could show off its accomplishments, and who knows, maybe attract a few tourists who are sufficiently enamored by your pavilion."

"So it shifts the burden off the individual to the WA, which comes out of the pockets of member nations. Less cost, certainly, but the infrastructure for managing an international organization of this kind would still merit a significant cost, distinct from the costs participating nations would shoulder.

"The Confederate Dominion, for the record, doesn't much concern itself with goodwill fostered from a source that isn't a homeland defense carrier group, and would, as a result, protest at the inevitable increased costs that unnecessary WA infrastructure would create. I imagine this is an irreconcilable philosophical difference."

"Probably. That said, the World Assembly has little trouble finding the money for every other resolution, and I don't see too many nations complaining about current costs. With, as noted, over 26,000 member states, the attendant increase to our mandatory donations to the General Fund gets spread out rather well. And, frankly, if such a small nation as Astrolinium is willing to shoulder that increase for itself, you'll forgive me if the idea that the Confederate Dominion or other large nations would buckle under them seems unconvincing."
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
"Probably. That said, the World Assembly has little trouble finding the money for every other resolution, and I don't see too many nations complaining about current costs. With, as noted, over 26,000 member states, the attendant increase to our mandatory donations to the General Fund gets spread out rather well. And, frankly, if such a small nation as Astrolinium is willing to shoulder that increase for itself, you'll forgive me if the idea that the Confederate Dominion or other large nations would buckle under them seems unconvincing."

"For the record, the Confederate Dominion complains constantly. Bitterly. And has done everything that wouldn't hurt our international credit rating to avoid paying. I think one time it tried to pay in Cartel! money, which is brightly colored fake money for a child's game based off the international drug trade. It certainly isn't a matter of bucking under them. I simply object to paying to support something we wouldn't use. Ours is an isolated nation, after all."

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

"For the record, the Confederate Dominion complains constantly. Bitterly. And has done everything that wouldn't hurt our international credit rating to avoid paying. I think one time it tried to pay in Cartel! money, which is brightly colored fake money for a child's game based off the international drug trade. It certainly isn't a matter of bucking under them. I simply object to paying to support something we wouldn't use. Ours is an isolated nation, after all."

"I have to wonder what benefit such an isolated nation gains by participating in the Festering Snakepit, which has no point but to force itself on you."
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:50 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
"I have to wonder what benefit such an isolated nation gains by participating in the Festering Snakepit, which has no point but to force itself on you."

"No idea. I'm here against my will. Its a de facto banishment."
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
The Second Moon Rising wrote:The Riser delegate stands up, holding its copy of the proposal. "This one appreciates the spirit of the proposal, but this one questions the viability. There is over twenty-six thousand nations in the World Assembly. Even if one were to be overly dramatic in assuming that all nations would want to send representatives to each event, and what would constitute a threat to national security and/or populaces excludes fifty percent of the nations from sending representatives to each event, a nation could still be looking at thirteen thousand nations applying to participate per event. The time, space, and resources required for hosting such a crowd could be difficult for a large, well-off nation to manage. A small, not-so-well-off nation, this could near impossible to do even every ten years, without negatively impacting their own people and lands."

"Firstly, I think it highly unlikely that even half of nations should send representatives to every event -- if one is being reasonable and interpreting in good faith, only those nations which find it more or less convenient to set up an exhibit would be likely to send one. Secondly, the IEA will only choose suitable cities -- cities which cannot handle the burden of one of these expositions would not be considered, as per what the resolution itself states. That said, I shall think about how I might best implement a clause which allows nations to limit participants based on available space, as that is potentially a valid concern."

The Riser delegate nods, albeit slowly. "As this one said, those numbers were based on one being overly dramatic. But they still should be considered in a sort of 'worst case scenario'." The Riser delegate pauses. "However, this one still feels concern regarding what criteria this IEA would be using to determine suitable cities. What if a nation has no viable cities? And would the IEA have the power to override a nation's, or city's, refusal to host the Exposition if it is the only viable city in the IEA's opinion? This one asks because in this one's own nation, there are only three cities that would be worth considering on merits of their space and resources... two of which are, by tradition and custom, not open to foreigners except in extreme cases and the other, hosting an international event would be far too disruptive to the purpose of that community. And this one doubts that this one's nation is the only one to have similar customs."
The Riser delegate stands at just over six and a half feet tall and bears a vaguely humanoid shape. All other features are obscured by layers upon layers of elaborate robes and veils in varying patterns and weaves of silver, the hands are covered with meticulously wrapped strips of cloth so that only the tips of short nails are exposed, and even the voice is ambiguous. The plate on the Riser delegate's desk bears the Romanization "M'yullouand'inthouahuynn y yht Shoa Vouaniya A'alayoulin Luath'louad". Stuck to that, there is a large blue Post-it note with elegant handwriting that reads "Do not bother to try and pronounce this one's title. This one is simply the Riser delegate.".

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm

PARSONS: We believe that this proposal does provide some mechanism towards preventing war and reducing the intensity of conflict. The nature of power between states is that there will always be a challenger to the hegemon. Providing outlets for that challenger to express their discontent to the current hegemon and a peaceful way to facilitate transition is good for the maintenance and preservation of peace. The provision of fairs such as these better help to change long-held preconceptions about the balance of power and lower the chance of the dangerous miscalculations which lead to conflict.

P: Also, there are probably some benefits to tourism and advertisement. It certainly would help regimes better find resources. Whether those regimes would abuse those resources or not is a different question. Tourism, however, is generally a broad-based economic activity which requires popular participation to do effectively. Helping to facilitate would generally help spread economic well-being. Cost dynamics will always favour nations with low labour costs, so this would also be helpful to developing nations as well. From the economic perspective, we think it is likely money well spent.

Separatist Peoples wrote:Bell tosses over a dictionary. "You really need to keep one on yourself around here."

PARSONS: I sincerely doubt your claim that book is a real dictionary. (OOC: Obviously sarcastic.)
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

"No idea. I'm here against my will. Its a de facto banishment."

Harold: We can fix that.

Imperium Anglorum wrote:PARSONS: I sincerely doubt your claim that book is a real dictionary. (OOC: Obviously sarcastic.)

Dictionary.com might as well be the real thing. Remember 'esquivalience'?
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:30 pm

The Second Moon Rising wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

The Riser delegate nods, albeit slowly. "As this one said, those numbers were based on one being overly dramatic. But they still should be considered in a sort of 'worst case scenario'." The Riser delegate pauses. "However, this one still feels concern regarding what criteria this IEA would be using to determine suitable cities. What if a nation has no viable cities? And would the IEA have the power to override a nation's, or city's, refusal to host the Exposition if it is the only viable city in the IEA's opinion? This one asks because in this one's own nation, there are only three cities that would be worth considering on merits of their space and resources... two of which are, by tradition and custom, not open to foreigners except in extreme cases and the other, hosting an international event would be far too disruptive to the purpose of that community. And this one doubts that this one's nation is the only one to have similar customs."

Giovanni frowns.

"Firstly, if a nation has no viable cities, then no cities in that nation would be considered, which is one of the purposes of the IEA considering cities themselves rather than nations as a whole. Secondly, it is unlikely that no viable city could possibly be found, but this eventuality is one I shall take under consideration when preparing my next draft."
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Astrolinium wrote:Giovanni frowns.

"Firstly, if a nation has no viable cities, then no cities in that nation would be considered, which is one of the purposes of the IEA considering cities themselves rather than nations as a whole. Secondly, it is unlikely that no viable city could possibly be found, but this eventuality is one I shall take under consideration when preparing my next draft."

The Riser delegate bows its head. "This one would argue uncommon over unlikely. Not all nations who are members of the World Assembly possess the same technology levels; a nation that is a hundred years behind the average could be at a severe disadvantage when it comes to sanitation. But this one thanks the delegate from Astrolinium for understanding and taking into consideration this one's concerns on the matter; the current wording of the proposal did not seem to give leeway for nations that, for various reasons, would not have a city that was viable and yet still be made to host." The Riser delegate sits back down and inclines its head. "This one would like to re-state that this one appreciates the spirit of the proposal, and eagerly awaits revisions."

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:24 pm

"I have finished a new draft; I hope it satisfies some of the concerns raised. I would particularly appreciate input on the new 'NOTES' clause."

DECLARES that these International Cultural Expositions shall be public exhibitions of the cultures of WA member states with accompanying amusement and entertainment, for the delight and enrichment of local populaces and visiting tourists,

NOTES that, if no suitable city can be found in a timely manner for a given year's exposition, the exposition shall be held in international neutral territory, with the event space to be managed and overseen by the World Assembly Office of Building Management,

• to place a reasonable numerical limit on the quantity of nations which may set up exhibitions, pursuant to the limitations of the event space

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 pm

OOC: This still isn't anything but a World Fair, is it? And if so, what good is it for? Other than an organizational nightmare.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: This still isn't anything but a World Fair, is it? And if so, what good is it for? Other than an organizational nightmare.

OOC: If I thought I could have gotten away with calling these World's Fairs, I would have, so yes. And it is good for encouraging trade, the exchange of ideas, intercultural understanding, tourism, and a whole host of other things that the World Assembly ought to be in the business of promoting (I like in particular what Imperium Anglorum had to say a few posts up, as I hadn't even thought of some of that myself), or else what is the WA good for?
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Astrolinium wrote:*snip*

OOC: That's all fine and well in real life where the World Fairs generally only drew the few dozen wealthiest and most advanced nations - even now there are only what, 200 or so RL nations? Multiply that by a hundred and you're honestly going to overrun all but the largest metropolises, and like I said, the organizational nightmare that would be needed for it, it would likely overwhelm any smaller nation.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:*snip*

OOC: That's all fine and well in real life where the World Fairs generally only drew the few dozen wealthiest and most advanced nations - even now there are only what, 200 or so RL nations? Multiply that by a hundred and you're honestly going to overrun all but the largest metropolises, and like I said, the organizational nightmare that would be needed for it, it would likely overwhelm any smaller nation.

OOC: Did you read the latest draft, or this thread? These concerns have been raised and addressed already. Much like the IRL Olympics, the IEA picks based on cities rather than countries in order to ensure only cities able to handle it are being selected, and nations which have a city that hosts an exposition are explicitly allowed to limit attendants based on space.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Astrolinium wrote:OOC: Did you read the latest draft, or this thread? These concerns have been raised and addressed already.

OOC: My main concern is "why the fuck's this necessary", and throwing some feelgood words about making the world better and encouraging tourism don't make it adequately "addressed".

As for the "allowed to limit attendance based on space" - how are you going to make sure they aren't limiting attendance of people (like what your resolution says as a nono) they don't like for reasons of religion, ideology, race, species, whatever? First come first served? Where do nations apply? Who decides whose application got in first?
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:OOC: Did you read the latest draft, or this thread? These concerns have been raised and addressed already.

OOC: My main concern is "why the fuck's this necessary", and throwing some feelgood words about making the world better and encouraging tourism don't make it adequately "addressed".

As for the "allowed to limit attendance based on space" - how are you going to make sure they aren't limiting attendance of people (like what your resolution says as a nono) they don't like for reasons of religion, ideology, race, species, whatever? First come first served? Where do nations apply? Who decides whose application got in first?

OOC: If the World Assembly only focused on legislation that was absolutely necessary we would be without most of our legislative corpus. Sometimes it's nice to do something because it would be nice to do it and the World Assembly would be far better equipped to handle organizing it than individual nations.

As for your second concern, well, I could certainly get into all that, but there's not a reasonable way to account for all of that to the standard I suspect you want me to within the proposal limits -- hence the grand WA tradition of assuming good faith compliance, as we simply don't have the space to write things out that a real-world body would have. On some level you have to accept that the resolution says don't do it and that's enough grounds to assume that the intention is for it not to happen.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly