NATION

PASSWORD

Clarification of Resolution 2 Article 5

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Obscure Punctuation Marks
Civilian

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Clarification of Resolution 2 Article 5

Postby Obscure Punctuation Marks » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Could someone clarify what Resolution 2 Article 5 of the World Assembly means?
Article 5 § War in the World of NationStates is defined as a consensual act between two or more NationStates. WA Member States may, at their discretion, intercede against declarations of war on behalf of NationStates who wish to avoid war.

I assumed this was just endowing members states rights in wars, but Resolution 2 Article 7 further confused me by saying that WA Member States can violate Resolution 2 Article 5:
Article 7 § Every WA Member State has the duty to refrain from giving assistance to any NationState which is acting in violation of Article 5 or 6. Every WA Member State has the duty to refrain from recognizing any territorial acquisition by another NationState acting in violation of Article 5 or 6.

Which is strange because Article 5 seemed to only say what Member States CAN do rather than what not to do.
(also I'm kinda a scrub so please use layman's terms)
Thank you for your time!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Member states are allowed to withhold aid from nations that declare war unilaterally? I don't know, but that's my best guess...
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Obscure Punctuation Marks wrote:Could someone clarify what Resolution 2 Article 5 of the World Assembly means?
Article 5 § War in the World of NationStates is defined as a consensual act between two or more NationStates. WA Member States may, at their discretion, intercede against declarations of war on behalf of NationStates who wish to avoid war.

I assumed this was just endowing members states rights in wars, but Resolution 2 Article 7 further confused me by saying that WA Member States can violate Resolution 2 Article 5:
Article 7 § Every WA Member State has the duty to refrain from giving assistance to any NationState which is acting in violation of Article 5 or 6. Every WA Member State has the duty to refrain from recognizing any territorial acquisition by another NationState acting in violation of Article 5 or 6.

Which is strange because Article 5 seemed to only say what Member States CAN do rather than what not to do.
(also I'm kinda a scrub so please use layman's terms)
Thank you for your time!

"Ambassador, it's pretty plain language there. War is defined as consensual. Non-consensual war is to be responded to with no less than a refusal to aid said nation and a denial of recognition of territorial acquisition. Probably more."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sandaoguo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:51 pm

The simple truth is that it doesn't make any sense at all, because the resolution was sloppily written. You'll be hard-pressed to find a war where all parties involved are keen and eager to have war declared on them. "War as a consensual act" is an oxymoron that baffles international legal scholars.

The best illumination of Article 5 is that war is consensual, unless it's not, in which case other states aren't allowed to participate. Who knows? We ought to repeal it and replace it with something more in line with reality.

文勋 Xūn Wén
Permanent Representative to the World Assembly

Frustrated Franciscans
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Frustrated Franciscans » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Obscure Punctuation Marks wrote:Could someone clarify what Resolution 2 Article 5 of the World Assembly means?

As others have pointed out, the resolution has some very odd terms that are defined. The key in this article is the word "consensual." It sounds odd, but it actually makes sense. Nation A declares war against Nation B. In response Nation B declares war against Nation A. Thus the "war" is "consensual" (relating to or involving consent, especially mutual consent). Now the question is what are those occasions that could result in war being a "non consensual" act (war has been declared on a nation but that nation in turn does not declare war on the nation that declared war on it).

(Perhaps when the nation knows it's going to be defeated before firing a shot?)

So if you are a member state and some big bully of a member state decides to declare war on you, if you insist on not declaring war back, all the nations in the WA must not aid in that nation's war against you and not recognize any territory gained by that non consensual war.

Strange, but oddly effective. It also applies to nations that are not members, since the onus is on the WA members to not aid and to not recognize.
Proud Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation

Return to General Assembly