NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Stolen Valor Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Second Moon Rising
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Second Moon Rising » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:02 pm

The Riser delegate shuffles through the pile of papers on its desk. "... Ah. This one apologizes. This one has seen the first draft of the proposal, but... cannot seem to find the second draft. This one thought this one had heard mention of a second draft, and perhaps now a third. Was this one mistaken?"

The Second Moon Rising also questions why this should be an international matter. That a nation's citizens would and should give respect its military is not always a guarantee -- some nations, to be in the military may mean that one has no other use in their society or has some debt to society that cannot be repaid except to go off to potentially be killed in an armed conflict. To potentially force a nation to grant a term of esteem to a military that could be made of their criminal population -- think murderers, pedophiles, violent domestic abusers, and any other flavor of convict -- would be... culturally insensitive, at best.

Regardless, The Second Moon Rising is under the belief that GA #110 and #177 already cover most of the underlying issue. Military status typically requires identification of some sort -- be it through an issued identification card or key or chip or similar-concept item. In order to receive benefits, the identification typically needs to be presented. If the form of identification is stolen, it is a form of Identity Theft, which is covered by GA #110 and is criminal fraud. Military and veteran's benefits are typically fiscal concerns, and any transaction that involves currency or goods are exchanges of material assets, and therefore financial fraud and covered by GA #177. The Second Moon Rising would require more time to search resolutions, but would be a bit shocked if it found that there was no resolution covering creation of unsanctioned false identification of any type.

If such is the case, might The Second Moon Rising suggest that the delegate from the proposing nation turn their efforts to that direction? It would likely receive far more favorable reactions and support than what is currently being proposed.
The Riser delegate stands at just over six and a half feet tall and bears a vaguely humanoid shape. All other features are obscured by layers upon layers of elaborate robes and veils in varying patterns and weaves of silver, the hands are covered with meticulously wrapped strips of cloth so that only the tips of short nails are exposed, and even the voice is ambiguous. The plate on the Riser delegate's desk bears the Romanization "M'yullouand'inthouahuynn y yht Shoa Vouaniya A'alayoulin Luath'louad". Stuck to that, there is a large blue Post-it note with elegant handwriting that reads "Do not bother to try and pronounce this one's title. This one is simply the Riser delegate.".

Central Asian Republics
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 31, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Central Asian Republics » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Rovikstead wrote:The Stolen Valor Act hereby outlaws civilians from impersonating an actual soldier purely for military benefits, receiving money or property, defining Stolen Valor as theft and fraud. This act will formally declare Stolen Valor a criminal offense worldwide. However, the punishment(s) of this crime shall be decided by each nation individually.

Rewording your proposal still won't change the fact that theft and fraud is already covered by legislation as a basic crime in most nations. If the punishment shall be decided by each nation individually, what's the point of enforcing it in the first place? As mentioned before a country could choose the least severe punishment possible and make any changes minute.

What about any objective benefits this proposal will bring, if any?
This piece of text is here to grab your attention. Thank you for your attention.

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Barbera: We concur with the other Delegations that this proposal has no clear international utility.

Harold marches into the chamber wearing the same clothes as the Ambassador from Rovikstead.

Harold: I, for one, am in full support of prosecuting stolen valour. It is a most serious crime. (looks at the Roviksteadian Ambassador) My God! How dare you?! You have brought a great insult upon my nation by wearing official States of Glory military uniform!

Barbera: That...is an unorthodox method of proving a point.

Harold: I consider it to be a very effective method, however.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 am

OOC: I had so much faith in this proposal, but now I realize that it's utter trash

Last edited by Rovikstead on Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

Sandaoguo
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sandaoguo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:51 am

Rovikstead wrote:OOC: I had so much faith in this proposal, but now I realize that it's utter trash

(Image)

OOC: The biggest issue is that a lot of us don't see the international aspect, because it's just dealing with your own citizens claiming soldier status in your own military, fighting in your own wars. One way to make it an international issue would be to make it illegal to claim service in another country's military, or you can write a proposal about international cooperation in litigating "stolen valor" cases, etc. The point is just that it needs to cross borders to be an international issue.

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 am

Sandaoguo wrote:
Rovikstead wrote:OOC: I had so much faith in this proposal, but now I realize that it's utter trash

(Image)

OOC: The biggest issue is that a lot of us don't see the international aspect, because it's just dealing with your own citizens claiming soldier status in your own military, fighting in your own wars. One way to make it an international issue would be to make it illegal to claim service in another country's military, or you can write a proposal about international cooperation in litigating "stolen valor" cases, etc. The point is just that it needs to cross borders to be an international issue.

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps there is still hope for my proposal.
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schutzenphalia and West Ruhntuhnkuhnland » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:55 am

OOC: At the risk of being patronizing, it's really not. You can obviously write a proposal in a legal-ish format, listen to and respond to criticism, and engage with the forum - just that puts you way ahead of the curve in terms of the average proposal from a newer player. As stated, it doesn't really seem like an international issue, though, but I do hope you don't get overly discouraged from trying again with a different proposal.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:12 am

Rovikstead wrote:I would like to remind everyone that there are also issues that seem to be applicable to individual nations, such as those regarding child labor laws, freedoms such as freedom of assembly and of the press, and abortion, but are still actively enforce by the WA.

"Ambassador," Blackbourne begins, "those freedoms are in place by the World Assembly to protect the rights of your citizens, not in your own nation, but when traveling abroad. The reason our citizens are safe if they visit Sierra Lyricalia is because we know that the World Assembly guarantees to them certain rights for their protection. That's what makes it an international issue.

"The exception is abortion. That was a failure of the international issue argument."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Rovikstead wrote:I would like to remind everyone that there are also issues that seem to be applicable to individual nations, such as those regarding child labor laws, freedoms such as freedom of assembly and of the press, and abortion, but are still actively enforce by the WA.

"Ambassador," Blackbourne begins, "those freedoms are in place by the World Assembly to protect the rights of your citizens, not in your own nation, but when traveling abroad. The reason our citizens are safe if they visit Sierra Lyricalia is because we know that the World Assembly guarantees to them certain rights for their protection. That's what makes it an international issue.

"The exception is abortion. That was a failure of the international issue argument."

"Nah, not buying that. We (as in the GA in general) don't do what we do in the realms of domestic human rights issues to protect tourists. We do it because we feel that certain rights are worthy enough to be enshrined in international law even when they are not, on the face of it, international issues."
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

The Atlae Isles
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Atlae Isles » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:35 pm

"Ambassador, I see you've been trying to write proposals and failed many times. Good luck in the future."

Williamsen stands up, tips his hat, and walks out the door.
Author of Issues #752, #816, and #967
Delegate Emeritus of The East Pacific
WA Ambassador: George Williamsen
"Gloria in Terra" | "The pronunciation of "Atlae" is /ætleɪ/. Don't you forget it."
Collecting TEP Cards! - Deputy Steward of TEAPOT

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Bananaistan wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

"Nah, not buying that. We (as in the GA in general) don't do what we do in the realms of domestic human rights issues to protect tourists. We do it because we feel that certain rights are worthy enough to be enshrined in international law even when they are not, on the face of it, international issues."

Lara Qzu puts away her professional paperwork and leans over to her fellow ambassador. "In my personal legal opinion, I agree." She then darts her head from side to side making sure no NatSov-ers could hear that.
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:05 am

We believe this issue is important, but it's not an issue of international importance. It should be left to individual member states.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Raven Landing
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Raven Landing » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:26 am

Christian Democrats wrote:We believe this issue is important, but it's not an issue of international importance. It should be left to individual member states.

I concur, the amount of different military structures, and wording of this bill is just begging for issues worldwide.

Valor is important to be sure but impersonating a military man in my country is already illegal. If they attempt to defraud local businesses and the people that the military protect by attempting to wear the uniform and say they fight for the country well then they will end up fighting for my country as punishment to show what they attempted is not only dishonest but why soldiers earn that level of respect in the community.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly