NATION

PASSWORD

Proposal: Right to Life

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Southern Confederate States (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Proposal: Right to Life

Postby Southern Confederate States (Ancient) » Sun May 10, 2009 4:02 am

Tessaglia wrote:
Fallafel wrote:How do you propose we detain dangerous escapees? More taxes? Some people don't have the luxury of 3 squares and a roof over their head. Why not execute people who have killed others? While I agree that people deserve the right to live, I also believe that the odds of a serial killer becoming rehabilitated are extremely low, and that if they can take peoples lives away they automatically give up their right to live period. Don't you think this world is corrupt enough with having to fear the worst for doing the worst? I believe people don't kill other people for that reason alone sometimes. Take away the death penalty, and their will be a lot more murdering going on.

~President Dolores --The Republic of Falafel

President Dolores,

I must respectfully disagree. The reason for prisons is to remove offenders from the general population thereby increasing the safety of the people. That being said, once a serial killer is caught and put in prison, the criminal justice system and the prison have fulfilled their obligation to promote, provide for, and foster public safety. By putting the offender to death, no cause if furthered and it becomes, pardon the expression, overkill.

If, as some nations argue, that the death penalty is decided by economics and taxes, then I fear for the morality of the world. Equating a life, no matter how evil, to a monetary amount is horribly saddening.

So, to sum up my rebuttal:

1. Removing the offender from the people fulfills the objective of increasing public safety.
2. Life should never equal economics.
3. Therefore, the death penalty is worthless and accomplishes no reasonable goal.

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss this issue with you.

Respectfully,

HM Shawn Garza
King of Tessaglia
G.M. The Royal Order of the Crane

just because your nation does not support the death penalty, does not mean you can forces others to accept your view via a WA resolution. just because you do not have the death penalty in your nation, does not make you morally superior to those nations that have. in other words, you aint our mother, and you can't tell us what is right or wrong.
Duke
Supreme General
Rogue Nation of Southern Confederate States

Atheistic Atheists
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheistic Atheists » Fri May 15, 2009 7:25 pm

I disapprove of this proposal.

Who's to define "human beings"?
Also, who's to stop someone from claiming that any criminal is a terrorist or violent revolutionary

Too many flaws in the wording of this proposal.
You must edit it.
Also, the basic idea of ridding WA member NationStates of the death penalty is somewhat preposterous.

The FallenGod
Political Columnist

Founded: May 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The FallenGod » Sat May 16, 2009 9:05 pm

I'm sorry but thats kinda a stupied law ... I know its your first purposal and all, but think of something alittle betternext time. All Criminals who have killed and should die would be just roting in the jail with all the people who only got a speeding ticket and didn't pay it. Then would inturn be curropted into believing that the world is a hateful and cruel place. Even though it is, it's better to let him go on with his life than turn into a mass murder ... or better yet you would have mass suicieds because of some people having too much guilt and be killing themselves and convincing other people that their lives are nothing and worthless

I see many flaws and many reasons why not to support this bill.
Last edited by The FallenGod on Sat May 16, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Altan Steppes
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Altan Steppes » Mon May 18, 2009 12:07 pm

The FallenGod wrote:All Criminals who have killed and should die would be just roting in the jail with all the people who only got a speeding ticket and didn't pay it.

Um, does your penal system not separate violent or dangerous criminals from minor offenders? If not, you have worse problems than this proposal to deal with.

As to this proposal itself, we would be opposed. We have the death penalty for certain heinous crimes, and would like to retain it, thanks all the same. We find it remarkably effective at keeping the offenders in question from committing those heinous crimes anymore.

-Jaris Krytellin, Ambassador
The Altani Federation
Honor above all else!

Belriel
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Belriel » Mon May 18, 2009 4:00 pm

The Dominion of Belriel agrees that an individual has the right to life.

Gimptown wrote:In this resolution, person is to mean a living human being from birth until death.

We disagree here, as this implies that the right to life does not protect the individual prior to the event of birth.

Gimptown wrote:1) All World Assembly states shall protect all persons’ right to life by law. No person shall be deprived of his or her life by a World Assembly state.

We disagree here, as this implies the Dominion of Belriel has a responsibility to protect not only its own citizens but citizens of other nations as well.

Gimptown wrote:2) All World Assembly states are to abolish death as a legal penalty.

We disagree here, as while we believe in the right to life, we also believe there are actions which warrant the individual exempt from the right, including but not limited to: serial murder, serial rape, mass murder, terrorism and others.

Gimptown wrote:3) A World Assembly state will not be in breach of this resolution if it deprives a person of life:

a. in lawful defence of any person from violence;
b. in to prevent the escape of a dangerous person lawfully detained;
c. in order to prevent an act of terrorism;
d. in order to prevent violent revolution;
e. when engaged in an act of war.

We disagree here, as you specifically state in part c. and d. that the 'life deprivation' must be done to prevent the act. This is not always possible, and a nation should have the right to defend itself from within and without regardless of the order of actions.

Gimptown wrote:5) If a World Assembly state does not provide national legislation for actions within section 3, any actions taken shall breach this Resolution.

We are offended and appalled by this line, as why should a nation have to legally defend self defense to an international government, which I can only imagine applies to each life lost by the tone of the proposal.

OOC: But I know where you're coming from, and I agree with the heart of it.. just not the wording.

Oroborose
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oroborose » Mon May 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Every one is debating the purpose of the resolution but why is no body is asking this guy what he defines as life?

Gnoria
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gnoria » Mon May 18, 2009 9:53 pm

We're fine with getting rid of the death penalty, but I think you'll find that support might be somewhat limited. Without teeth, we don't really care. I think most nations have relatively sane penal codes; those that don't can get around it anyway (define jaywalking as a heinous crime in order to give the death penalty to whoever you want, etc.).

Douglas Moore
Secy. to the WA

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly