NATION

PASSWORD

Secretariat's Council (MEMBERS ANNOUNCED)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:12 am

I chose to use this nation for these purposes because of the history connected to it. It's much easier to search for my past resolutions and posts, particularly arguments about legality, by using this nation. Additionally, it allows an easier separation for when I draft proposals. Sandaoguo is my WA nation, in part because of the influence and endorsements it had accumulated in my home region. But also because it allows me to draft proposals without the appearance of elitism or bias coming from the usergroup and styling board members have been given.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:25 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:

Because CD has a history of intertwining into abortion arguments regardless of forum (be it GA or General or elsewhere), and there are more evidence about bias than not.

What does it say when more than 10% of CD's posts on the NationStates forum have to do with abortion? We're not taking about 10, nor 50. It's almost a thousand.

Why does it matter? We all bring some element of political bias. Our decisions are ultimately shaped by our worldview. CD's worldview diverges on this topic. That doesn't make him biased, it makes us diverse.

For the record - from a personal account - it was the diverse opinions (even if I often disagree with them, on a personal level :P ) that made me support the nomination of CD on the Council. As others have said above, having people that agree with me/all the mods/each other ... isn't helpful. I wanted to put together a group of diverse histories and backgrounds, of people that weren't afraid to stand up and say, "You're missing something" if something was off. In addition to CD, I think it's well known (at least by those that have been around the GA for eons) that GR and I haven't always gotten along all that well. (<-- which might be a slight understatement :P )

I suspect that if anyone shows bias or the inability to look at ruling questions outside of their preferred worldview, it will become apparent as we work towards making this Council an effective one. I don't expect that to be the case for any of the Councillors - else I wouldn't have supported their inclusion within the Council.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:54 am

The Elba wrote:I think these issues must be dealt with - else we'll only have the GAS start on a compromised position that will only perpetuate the same distrust certain regular GA/SC members have on the modly team and a belief that the GAS members are just part of an expanded "elite" of people that do not listen (or so I get from the vibes from a certain few). It is not in anyone's benefit for such to happen.

While I wish the councillors the best of luck in this venture, I am deeply concerned that the whole thing is starting off on a compromised position due to the word of god which said that all further discussion on how it will work will be conducted in private, nevermind the actual deliberations which a majority of GA regulars wanted done in public. We appear to have merely replaced one super sekrit lair with another with slightly expanded super sekrit lair.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:57 am

Bananaistan wrote:While I wish the councillors the best of luck in this venture, I am deeply concerned that the whole thing is starting off on a compromised position due to the word of god which said that all further discussion on how it will work will be conducted in private, nevermind the actual deliberations which a majority of GA regulars wanted done in public. We appear to have merely replaced one super sekrit lair with another with slightly expanded super sekrit lair.

Would it be okay for Council members to post quotes here from what was said in the GAS chamber? I mean, even if the forum is private, they could repeat what was said here to not keep us in the dark.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:06 am

Can we please not call it the gas chamber?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_chamber

:unsure:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:19 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:Can we please not call it the gas chamber?

>Implying that it is not where proposals go to die.

I would rather that it not be called GAS, honestly. But as it is seemingly too late for that, we have to make due with what we have.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:20 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:While I wish the councillors the best of luck in this venture, I am deeply concerned that the whole thing is starting off on a compromised position due to the word of god which said that all further discussion on how it will work will be conducted in private, nevermind the actual deliberations which a majority of GA regulars wanted done in public. We appear to have merely replaced one super sekrit lair with another with slightly expanded super sekrit lair.

Would it be okay for Council members to post quotes here from what was said in the GAS chamber? I mean, even if the forum is private, they could repeat what was said here to not keep us in the dark.

Can we at least wait 24 hours before bemoaning the fact that things are private right now ? One of the threads you may see occasionally in the Latest Forum Topics list is one called "Forum Access/Visibility." As promised, the details of transparency are being discussed and - when something is determined - those details will be shared.
Last edited by Mousebumples on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Proud Member of UNOG

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:24 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:Can we please not call it the gas chamber?

>Implying that it is not where proposals go to die.

I would rather that it not be called GAS, honestly. But as it is seemingly too late for that, we have to make due with what we have.

What? I don't understand this. Who decided it's called GAS?
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:27 am

Sciongrad wrote:What? I don't understand this. Who decided it's called GAS?

It's clearly called the GA Secretariat. I don't know who decided on that, but it was most likely the mods.

As for GAS... well, that is the obvious abbreviation.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:29 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:What? I don't understand this. Who decided it's called GAS?

It's clearly called the GA Secretariat. I don't know who decided on that, but it was most likely the mods.

We're considering a name change as well, for the record.
Proud Member of UNOG

World Dissembly
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby World Dissembly » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:38 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Secretariat of the General Assembly? (And that will get confused with the Secretary General)

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:41 am

Mousebumples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Just abbreviate it differently - "GenSec" or something. Not everything has to be an acronym.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
I do agree that everyone has an opinion on anything and everything. That's a given.

How will each member actually make sure that they don't show their bias, or cancel the bias? Don't vote at all? That doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I still do believe there's a conflict of interest with CD's appointment, even without regard of his stance on abortion. As a delegate of a region, how is he expected to vote? Vote according to the region's wishes? Don't vote because of conflict of interest? Don't be on GAS?

Why isn't Sciongrad being given this level of grilling for his delegacy? Would I be getting it if I was still delegate of Monkey Island? This seems to be a poorly shaded attack on CD the player, which is incredibly unfair.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:11 am

Mousebumples wrote:Can we at least wait 24 hours before bemoaning the fact that things are private right now ?

no

Separatist Peoples wrote:Why isn't Sciongrad being given this level of grilling for his delegacy? Would I be getting it if I was still delegate of Monkey Island? This seems to be a poorly shaded attack on CD the player, which is incredibly unfair.

It's worth noting the nomination period stretched on several weeks, and several players' nominations were critiqued: there was ample time for anyone who was actually invested in the project and not simply harbouring a petty animus to speak up before.

My scepticism about the project notwithstanding, congrats etc. blah.
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:57 am

Sedgistan wrote:A quick announcement - the following people have been appointed as the six Secretariat members:

Bears Armed
Christian Democrats
Glen-Rhodes
Sciongrad
Separatist Peoples
Sierra Lyricalia

I'm honored. Thank you for the appointment.

Elke and Elba wrote:So will he or won't he? Given that it's a big topic and agenda for CD, it's a question that probably requires resolving with answers at this point before things happen. CD actively works himself and promotes on abortion topics and works with a hardline stance against it and has the active agenda to repeal OA/RP when the chance comes with members such as Ovybia.

1. Should all black judges recuse themselves from cases that involve racial discrimination claims?
2. Should all Hispanics be disqualified from serving as immigration judges?
3. Should all female judges recuse themselves from cases that deal with sexual assault?
4. Should all gay judges recuse themselves from cases that touch on marriage issues?
5. Should all Jewish judges recuse themselves from free speech cases where one of the parties is a Nazi?
6. Should all Southern judges recuse themselves from Voting Rights Act cases?
7. Should all Christian judges recuse themselves from Establishment Clause cases?

Etc. etc. etc.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:16 pm

I haven't really been paying attention to this, does the Secretariat's Council have any authority in the Security Council? Also can we please change that name.

Congratulations to those appointed to the Council. o7
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:19 pm

We Are Not the NSA wrote:I haven't really been paying attention to this, does the Secretariat's Council have any authority in the Security Council?

No.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Mousebumples wrote:Can we at least wait 24 hours before bemoaning the fact that things are private right now ? One of the threads you may see occasionally in the Latest Forum Topics list is one called "Forum Access/Visibility." As promised, the details of transparency are being discussed and - when something is determined - those details will be shared.

I have also noticed topics under the titles of "World Assembly Stranger's Bar: The VIP Lounge" and "Welcome Council Members!" in the LFT sidebar, and both private.

Mousebumples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Why the name change? Or was that sparked into motion when Blaat pointed out the inappropriateness of talking about the "GAS chamber"?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:23 pm

*fires up the grill to roast all council members equally, and starts basting SP*
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:Can we at least wait 24 hours before bemoaning the fact that things are private right now ? One of the threads you may see occasionally in the Latest Forum Topics list is one called "Forum Access/Visibility." As promised, the details of transparency are being discussed and - when something is determined - those details will be shared.

I have also noticed topics under the titles of "World Assembly Stranger's Bar: The VIP Lounge" and "Welcome Council Members!" in the LFT sidebar, and both private.

Mousebumples wrote:We're considering a name change as well, for the record.

Why the name change? Or was that sparked into motion when Blaat pointed out the inappropriateness of talking about the "GAS chamber"?

No, it wasn't triggered by my remark.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:47 pm

So, how do we submit legality issues for the council's review?
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:47 pm

Tinhampton wrote:I have also noticed topics under the titles of "World Assembly Stranger's Bar: The VIP Lounge"

*gasp*
They didn't... >:(

We Are Not the NSA
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby We Are Not the NSA » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:49 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
We Are Not the NSA wrote:I haven't really been paying attention to this, does the Secretariat's Council have any authority in the Security Council?

No.

Thanks Blaat. o7
\▼/We Are Not the NSA | Nohbdy | Eumaeus\▼/

Raiding HistorySecurity CouncilDear NativesTWP Raid

Retired Raider | He, Him, His | Bisexual

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Tinhampton wrote:I have also noticed topics under the titles of "World Assembly Stranger's Bar: The VIP Lounge"

*gasp*

I'm guessing that's just the chill thread for the council, where they don't have to be all formal and can freely complain about the rest of us giving them a hard time. :P

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:*gasp*

I'm guessing that's just the chill thread for the council, where they don't have to be all formal and can freely complain about the rest of us giving them a hard time. :P

Now we absolutely need to make the forum publicly viewable. I can't miss out on all the hijinks they get up to in the VIP Lounge.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly