NATION

PASSWORD

Secretariat's Council (MEMBERS ANNOUNCED)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:07 am

Araraukar wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:Don't know what Ara is referring to, but I advised a player to do that, and then SP said not to do that because it would put you guys in a bind. But SP also said it was easier that way, so I was getting conflicting messages.

^That.

And while we're on the subject, what exactly are the council's parametres for bothering to deal with proposal legalities? Obviously just submitting isn't enough, and while my memory can be very faulty, I remember a council member saying something to the effect of them wanting to make rulings only on proposals likely to get to vote. If the council really has such predictive powers, there's something very weird going on behind the scenes.

If there's a solid proposal and it presents an actual question, we'll probably hear it. But the question is really narrow and specific to that particular proposal, and the proposal doesn't seem like it'll make it to vote, we probably won't hear it, only to save us time. You might have gotten conflicting signals from our attitude towards this in the past, and you're justified in being confused, but we want to balance answering actual legality questions with efficiency. This means we can't answer every single question, but we will answer the ones that 1. involve rules that are truly unclear or 2. present narrow questions but will likely be voted on.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:40 am

Sciongrad wrote:but we will answer the ones that 1. involve rules that are truly unclear

Such as whether using "I" is branding? :roll:
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:46 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:
Don't know what Ara is referring to, but I advised a player to do that, and then SP said not to do that because it would put you guys in a bind. But SP also said it was easier that way, so I was getting conflicting messages.

I asked a player not to post a legality challenge on a repeal to clarify a point on a different proposal. We do not like weighing in on hypothetical. I asked Canton Empire not to create a repeal solely to force a legality response.

If Caton wants to file a legality challenge on his own proposal, great. No work-arounds, please.

Canton Empire at the time had already approached me about a repeal. It was my understanding that a repeal was going to be written anyways.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:23 am

Araraukar wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:but we will answer the ones that 1. involve rules that are truly unclear

That is not really a question that you need us to answer... In my opinion, using the first person is so obviously against the rules (branding, maybe metagaming, etc.). Nor is that something that will really ever come up in a serious proposal.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 am

Sciongrad wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Such as whether using "I" is branding? :roll:

That is not really a question that you need us to answer... In my opinion, using the first person is so obviously against the rules. Nor is that something that will really ever come up in a serious proposal.

In my opinion, too. The rules say that proposals are to be written as laws, but laws are (AFAIK) only in the first person singular if they are being enacted by an individual (such as an absolute monarch, or a dictator) -- and one who chooses not to use the royal "We", at that -- whereas the WA (and GA) is an assemblage of nations rather than an individual.
Also, presumably the "I" referred to would be either the holder of an official position within the originating nation [looking at the situation IC] which would be a case of Branding or the player responsible for running that nation [OOC] which would be a RL reference.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Sciongrad wrote:In my opinion, using the first person is so obviously against the rules (branding, maybe metagaming, etc.).

Well, except it obviously isn't that obvious as it's not in the rules and the "must be written from WA's perspective" isn't same as "must be written like laws" (to include Bears's argument too). This is really why I was hoping for you guys to make it an actual ruling. I think all of you agreed to it being like that, but for some reason couldn't bother to make it official. :eyebrow:

Nor is that something that will really ever come up in a serious proposal.

...you realize that statements like that lead to the proposals that aren't jokes only because they adhere to all the other rules? :P
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Araraukar wrote:Well, except it obviously isn't that obvious as it's not in the rules and the "must be written from WA's perspective" isn't same as "must be written like laws" (to include Bears's argument too). This is really why I was hoping for you guys to make it an actual ruling. I think all of you agreed to it being like that, but for some reason couldn't bother to make it official.

This is why I proposed a perspective rule.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Araraukar wrote:

Obviously not, but it's better than telling someone you wrote a blog post. :twisted:

There are some common sense rules of writing legislation and resolutions and one of them is that they are never in the first person singular.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:
I asked a player not to post a legality challenge on a repeal to clarify a point on a different proposal. We do not like weighing in on hypothetical. I asked Canton Empire not to create a repeal solely to force a legality response.

If Caton wants to file a legality challenge on his own proposal, great. No work-arounds, please.

Canton Empire at the time had already approached me about a repeal. It was my understanding that a repeal was going to be written anyways.

Ok. That was not information I was privy to. I operated under the assumption it would be a repeat of Repeal: NAPA, and I was warning against that. A genuine attempt at a repeal would be worth looking at. A repeal crafted specifically to twist an answer out of us with no (real) intent of passing it wouldn't. Does that clarify my statement about the repeal?

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
Araraukar wrote:Such as whether using "I" is branding? :roll:

That is not really a question that you need us to answer... In my opinion, using the first person is so obviously against the rules (branding, maybe metagaming, etc.). Nor is that something that will really ever come up in a serious proposal.

Not so obvious, considering that there was an actual argument about it over in the Illegal Proposals thread.

Tzorsland wrote:Obviously not, but it's better than telling someone you wrote a blog post. :twisted:

You know, I see the word 'blogposal' all the time in the Illegal Proposals thread, but to my understanding, a "blogposal" isn't actually illegal.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:51 pm

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:That is not really a question that you need us to answer... In my opinion, using the first person is so obviously against the rules (branding, maybe metagaming, etc.). Nor is that something that will really ever come up in a serious proposal.

Not so obvious, considering that there was an actual argument about it over in the Illegal Proposals thread.

Link?

Ideological Bulwark #271

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Sciongrad wrote:
States of Glory WA Office wrote:Not so obvious, considering that there was an actual argument about it over in the Illegal Proposals thread.

Link?

Most of the argument was quoted in the challenge post I made on the issue: viewtopic.php?p=30493899#p30493899

The quote posts have the links to the Illegals thread so you can verify I haven't maliciously edited anything.

Makes me wonder if you actually read the challenge post or not...

EDIT: In case these was overlooked as well, additional arguments on behalf of "not branding", though from the challenge thread instead:
Gruen: viewtopic.php?p=30499704#p30499704
SP: viewtopic.php?p=30500012#p30500012

Also, apologies to SP for my faulty memory claiming you wanted to outright dismiss the challenge as well. :hug:
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sciongrad
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:Link?

Most of the argument was quoted in the challenge post I made on the issue: viewtopic.php?p=30493899#p30493899

The quote posts have the links to the Illegals thread so you can verify I haven't maliciously edited anything.

Makes me wonder if you actually read the challenge post or not...

I read that thread and even posted in it. States of Glory referred to a debate in the illegal thread, which I have not seen.

Ideological Bulwark #271

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Sciongrad wrote:I read that thread and even posted in it. States of Glory referred to a debate in the illegal thread, which I have not seen.

From the challenge thread, the very first post, the one that contained the challenge itself:
Note: I'm making this thread on behalf of Tretrid and IA (who argue this proposal is illegal for Branding), and in the hopes of settling this issue of Branding with a council precedence. If the council decides to dodge out of making that precedence with the expiration of this one, I'm sure more will be submitted soon and we can have the argument again. :( (Pleasepleasepleaseplease settle this one way or another.)

Link: https://www.nationstates.net/page=UN_vi ... 1480023094

Text: Repeal: “Reproductive Freedoms”

Category: Repeal
Resolution: GA#286

Proposed by: Divadland

General Assembly Resolution #286 “Reproductive Freedoms” (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

I believe abortion is an evil practice it kills innocent lives who have done nothing to you.
Therefore repeals Reproductice freedoms

Rule (supposedly) broken: Branding

Arguments:
Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Yes, but repeals must also follow the rules about Format and perspective. Thus, the 'I believe' makes it illegal.

Exactly where in the Format rule - or indeed anywhere in the rules - do you see anything about perspective? SP just pointed this out in one of the drafting threads (or a challenge thread, most likely).

Araraukar wrote:
Western Evilly wrote:Using the word "I" in proposals has always been illegal and you know that very well.

I agree! But it's not in the rules anymore!

Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Hmm. If 'I' is a real-world person, then it could be a real-world reference.

Yeah, but if it's not... :(

Araraukar wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:How could I possibly not be a real world person?

Considering how many of the ones that use "I", also actually brand it by signing as their nation or national leader, it's not a clear-cut case every time.

Tretrid wrote:The rule is:
Branding: Proposal authors cannot list their names or use acronyms to circumvent this. However, they can and should credit their co-author(s), where contribution is notable or significant. Authors may list up to three co-authors
"I" is a pronoun that refers to oneself, and therefore implies a name. Therefore it is illegal.

There. Emphasized them. And had to fiddle with the coding and emphasis a bit as quotes in quotes in quotes and boxes in boxes didn't want to work.
Last edited by Araraukar on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:15 am

Since this is a sticky, can we get the OP edited to have an explanation of what the Secretariat is, for new players?

I can write one up, if necessary.
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:54 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:Since this is a sticky, can we get the OP edited to have an explanation of what the Secretariat is, for new players?

I can write one up, if necessary.

Probably best to write one up and get Mod stamp on it, rather than try to wait out the Mods' Season of Joy Stress. ;)

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:I can write one up, if necessary.

Probably best to write one up and get Mod stamp on it, rather than try to wait out the Mods' Season of Joy Stress. ;)

Go ahead and write something. Post it here, and post a link in Moderation with a short explanation. Wrapper has more going on than just the holidays, so someone else (me or Sedge, probably) can review it and post it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:58 pm

What's this? It shows up on the forum list and also in the GA subforum. Does this mean the council peeps are now actual moderators on this forum?

Moderator: GA Secretariat

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Araraukar wrote:What's this? It shows up on the forum list and also in the GA subforum. Does this mean the council peeps are now actual moderators on this forum?

Just moving and stickying for now.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Araraukar wrote:What's this? It shows up on the forum list and also in the GA subforum. Does this mean the council peeps are now actual moderators on this forum?

Just moving and stickying for now.

Cue paranoia in 3... 2... 1...

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:30 pm

This is DISGRACEFUL!!1!11!!! A naked and obvious powergrab, ***cough*** ***outrage*** ***splutter*** ****monocle smashed*** ... etc.

Although I had genuinely thought that we did not want the council becoming mini-mods.

Edit: Any chance of this happening now:
Bananaistan wrote:Also, perhaps we could get a closed and stickied thread outlining the current procedures. An index of rulings would also be handy!
Last edited by Bananaistan on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:04 pm

Bananaistan wrote:Although I had genuinely thought that we did not want the council becoming mini-mods.

viewtopic.php?p=30857763#p30857763
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:Although I had genuinely thought that we did not want the council becoming mini-mods.

viewtopic.php?p=30857763#p30857763

That was already linked to. But being given any forum mod powers makes them in essence "mini-mods".

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 pm

I don't mind it - since they can't warn or anything the stickying powerful should mean better efficiency at proposal transition times.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Araraukar wrote:

That was already linked to. But being given any forum mod powers makes them in essence "mini-mods".

We have the ability to move threads too and from the private forum and to staple them up. We have all the powers of a bulletin board. That hardly a mini mod makes. We don't have, and don't want, punitive powers, and we sure ain't gonna get any. I wouldn't worry.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly