NATION

PASSWORD

Secretariat's Council (MEMBERS ANNOUNCED)

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ithreland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ithreland » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Do you support the idea of a Secretariat's Council? If not, what alternative suggestion do you have, bearing in mind that "appoint more Moderators" is not an option on the table?
Seems fine to me.

How should members of the Council be selected in the long-run?
Not by the Council, nor by mods. Both of those are limited groups, and the former would be like a POTUS handing off the presidency to his wife/friends. Probably just a general election from a group of people who check all the figurative boxes on a list of standards, as is suggested in the OP.

What, if any, checks should exist against the Council's behaviour? Consider the potential for corruption, cronyism, laziness, and mission creep.
Some version of a vote of no confidence, with the ability to call for such belong only to mods. That way, no one clogs up the system with random troll requests. The vote for no confidence should be as open as the selection process.

Which of the current rules should the Council have responsibility for enforcing?
The Responsibilities list/description looks okay.

Should Council members act as "Mentors" too?
Whatever a "Mentor" is in this context, it can probably be done by the "Mentors". The less things you're doing, the better you do them. Unless it means mentorship for the Council, in which case it seems like a good idea.
The government is elected from pools of experts in whichever fields are necessary, with polarizing issues having a minimum quotient for political balance (like abortion rights would be decided by a mix of pro-choice/pro-life expert advocates, for example).

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
♂♀Copy and Paste this in your sig if you know there are 2 genders and didn't fail biology♂♀
-_qCopy and paste this in your sig if your Capitalist-_q
A 15.83 civilization, according to this index.
My 8values score.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Ithreland wrote:Should Council members act as "Mentors" too?
Whatever a "Mentor" is in this context, it can probably be done by the "Mentors". The less things you're doing, the better you do them. Unless it means mentorship for the Council, in which case it seems like a good idea.

Mentors are more experienced people who specialize in helping others - in GA it would likely be mostly helping newbies learn to deal with the challenges of the forum community and proposal writing. And we don't currently have mentors in GA.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Ithreland wrote:How should members of the Council be selected in the long-run?
Not by the Council, nor by mods. Both of those are limited groups, and the former would be like a POTUS handing off the presidency to his wife/friends. Probably just a general election from a group of people who check all the figurative boxes on a list of standards, as is suggested in the OP.

Bit late for that, mate. Mods are already picking people, IIRC.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Will the voting results of GAS (and perhaps their implications) be publicised, or is the GAS a secret body?
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:48 pm

I would prefer majority and minority opinions over mere vote counts.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:48 am

Tzorsland wrote:I would prefer majority and minority opinions over mere vote counts.

Me too, at least for the most part. Although, dissenting without opinion is an established practice in some places.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:12 am

Christian Democrats wrote:Me too, at least for the most part. Although, dissenting without opinion is an established practice in some places.

Also wondering if it's necessary to mark how many councilors were absent (presuming some sensible time limit is put on their voting on a case) or needed to excuse theirselves due to being too connected to the proposal at hand.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 am

Araraukar wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Me too, at least for the most part. Although, dissenting without opinion is an established practice in some places.

Also wondering if it's necessary to mark how many councilors were absent (presuming some sensible time limit is put on their voting on a case) or needed to excuse theirselves due to being too connected to the proposal at hand.

That makes sense to me.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Tzorsland
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tzorsland » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:32 am

Araraukar wrote:Also wondering if it's necessary to mark how many councilors were absent (presuming some sensible time limit is put on their voting on a case) or needed to excuse theirselves due to being too connected to the proposal at hand.

That sounds proper, in order to determine is quorums were established for the decisions.
"A spindizzy going sour makes the galaxy's most unnerving noise!"
"Cruise lightspeed smooth and slient with this years sleek NEW Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator."
AKA Retired WerePenguins Frustrated Franciscans Blue Booted Bobbies A Running Man Dirty Americans

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:45 am

A quick announcement - the following people have been appointed as the six Secretariat members:

Bears Armed
Christian Democrats
Glen-Rhodes
Sciongrad
Separatist Peoples
Sierra Lyricalia

Lobbyists
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lobbyists » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:42 am

Sedgistan wrote:A quick announcement - the following people have been appointed as the six Secretariat members:

Bears Armed
Christian Democrats
Glen-Rhodes
Sciongrad
Separatist Peoples
Sierra Lyricalia

Congratulations to all! When can we set a meeting?

P.S. Nice new color scheme for the Secretariat.
Last edited by Lobbyists on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:54 am

Sedgistan wrote:A quick announcement - the following people have been appointed as the six Secretariat members:

Bears Armed
Christian Democrats
Glen-Rhodes
Sciongrad
Separatist Peoples
Sierra Lyricalia

Grats to all those chosen. Almost glad I wasn't picked, since it means I don't have to worry about helping others with their proposals making me ineligible for votes. :D

The Elba
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Elba » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:29 am

Bears Armed
Christian Democrats
Glen-Rhodes
Sciongrad
Separatist Peoples
Sierra Lyricalia

While I send my congratulations - I have my reservations on particular members on this list.

Glen-Rhodes as a nation hasn't been very much involved in the GA since eons - his latest posts on GA proposals was in May - five months ago. If we're speaking about Sandaoguo - I presume powers should be granted to that nation, and not GR.

And how will moderators and administrators ensure, that members such as Christian Democrats do not pervade his own beliefs on abortion - given his longstanding opposition to it in both RF and OA, as well as promoting anti-abortion regulation in his work as part of the GAS?

I think these issues must be dealt with - else we'll only have the GAS start on a compromised position that will only perpetuate the same distrust certain regular GA/SC members have on the modly team and a belief that the GAS members are just part of an expanded "elite" of people that do not listen (or so I get from the vibes from a certain few). It is not in anyone's benefit for such to happen.
Last edited by The Elba on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:35 am

The Elba wrote:Glen-Rhodes hasn't been very much involved in the GA since eons - his latest posts on GA proposals was in May - five months ago.

GR has been using a puppet. I think the name is Sandaoguo or something.

And how will moderators and administrators ensure, that members such as Christian Democrats do not pervade his own beliefs on abortion - given his longstanding opposition to it in both RF and OA, as well as promoting anti-abortion regulation in his work as part of the GAS?

I'm pretty sure that CD may recuse himself when abortion topics come up.

Or maybe not. I mean, the pro-choice members probably won't recuse themselves, so we need to balance it out, right?
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:43 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:

Or maybe not. I mean, the pro-choice members probably won't recuse themselves, so we need to balance it out, right?

Exactly. I think the concern was personal bias, not issue bias. Pretending unpopular viewpoints are sufficiently biased to merit exclusion will turn the GA into an echo chamber.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:47 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:Exactly. I think the concern was personal bias, not issue bias. Pretending unpopular viewpoints are sufficiently biased to merit exclusion will turn the GA into an echo chamber.

Agreed.

Congrats on your selection, by the way, even though it was pretty obvious from the start, I'd say.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Talkistan
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Talkistan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:47 am

The Elba wrote:And how will moderators and administrators ensure, that members such as Christian Democrats do not pervade his own beliefs on abortion - given his longstanding opposition to it in both RF and OA, as well as promoting anti-abortion regulation in his work as part of the GAS?

We can start by hoping that CD (and anyone else on the Secretariat) is professional enough to keep their personal/political views from interfering with their legal views.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:47 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
The Elba wrote:Glen-Rhodes hasn't been very much involved in the GA since eons - his latest posts on GA proposals was in May - five months ago.

GR has been using a puppet. I think the name is Sandaoguo or something.

1. I edited the post if you didn't realised, since it was kinda not very clear that I was pointing to Sandaoguo indeed. I believe Sandaoguo should be given the powers since GR doesn't even use GR (the nation) to post on GA as mentioned.

2. So will he or won't he? Given that it's a big topic and agenda for CD, it's a question that probably requires resolving with answers at this point before things happen. CD actively works himself and promotes on abortion topics and works with a hardline stance against it and has the active agenda to repeal OA/RP when the chance comes with members such as Ovybia. SP/Scion/Bears don't.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:49 am

The Elba wrote:And how will moderators and administrators ensure, that members such as Christian Democrats do not pervade his own beliefs on abortion - given his longstanding opposition to it in both RF and OA, as well as promoting anti-abortion regulation in his work as part of the GAS?

I don't think this is fair. You're concerned that CD might let his personal views influence his legal opinions, but you're not concerned that the rest of us will be similarly biased? We're all mature and capable of determining when to recuse ourselves and when to put issue bias aside to reach a fair conclusion. CD's personal views are irrelevant.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:51 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:

Exactly. I think the concern was personal bias, not issue bias. Pretending unpopular viewpoints are sufficiently biased to merit exclusion will turn the GA into an echo chamber.

Talkistan wrote:

We can start by hoping that CD (and anyone else on the Secretariat) is professional enough to keep their personal/political views from interfering with their legal views.

That actually brings up a good point.

How do anyone ensure that members of the GAS are not personally biased against others? And are there methods of redress, since now we have a GAS that is expanded in power, but of which members are not checked as thoroughly as compared to mod selection? Sparse records on warning/whatever history may not be representative of GA-related issues that might occur.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:54 am

Elke and Elba wrote:CD actively works himself and promotes on abortion topics and works with a hardline stance against it and has the active agenda to repeal OA/RP when the chance comes with members such as Ovybia. SP/Scion/Bears don't.

IIRC, Sciongrad actually authored, submitted, and campaigned for a repeal of Reproductive Freedoms.

But that's besides the point. As Sciongrad pointed out, why are you not concerned about bias in the other members? I'm sure they all have views on abortion too. Why is it only CD that concerns you?

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:58 am

Sciongrad wrote:

I don't think this is fair. You're concerned that CD might let his personal views influence his legal opinions, but you're not concerned that the rest of us will be similarly biased? We're all mature and capable of determining when to recuse ourselves and when to put issue bias aside to reach a fair conclusion. CD's personal views are irrelevant.

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:CD actively works himself and promotes on abortion topics and works with a hardline stance against it and has the active agenda to repeal OA/RP when the chance comes with members such as Ovybia. SP/Scion/Bears don't.

IIRC, Sciongrad actually authored, submitted, and campaigned for a repeal of Reproductive Freedoms.

But that's besides the point. As Sciongrad pointed out, why are you not concerned about bias in the other members? I'm sure they all have views on abortion too. Why is it only CD that concerns you?

Because CD has a history of intertwining into abortion arguments regardless of forum (be it GA or General or elsewhere), and there are more evidence about bias than not.

What does it say when more than 10% of CD's posts on the NationStates forum have to do with abortion? We're not taking about 10, nor 50. It's almost a thousand.
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:04 am

Elke and Elba wrote:Because CD has a history of intertwining into abortion arguments regardless of forum (be it GA or General or elsewhere), and there are more evidence about bias than not.

What does it say when more than 10% of CD's posts on the NationStates forum have to do with abortion? We're not taking about 10, nor 50. It's almost a thousand.

And? CD is merely more outspoken about his views. Any of the other 5 council members has an opinion on abortion, I'm sure. It could even be a strong one.

I think it is actually better that CD has made so many posts about his views. At least we know he has a bias. We don't really know with the others.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:07 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:I don't think this is fair. You're concerned that CD might let his personal views influence his legal opinions, but you're not concerned that the rest of us will be similarly biased? We're all mature and capable of determining when to recuse ourselves and when to put issue bias aside to reach a fair conclusion. CD's personal views are irrelevant.

Excidium Planetis wrote:IIRC, Sciongrad actually authored, submitted, and campaigned for a repeal of Reproductive Freedoms.

Because CD has a history of intertwining into abortion arguments regardless of forum (be it GA or General or elsewhere), and there are more evidence about bias than not.

Why does it matter? We all bring some element of political bias. Our decisions are ultimately shaped by our worldview. CD's worldview diverges on this topic. That doesn't make him biased, it makes us diverse.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:09 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:Because CD has a history of intertwining into abortion arguments regardless of forum (be it GA or General or elsewhere), and there are more evidence about bias than not.

And? CD is merely more outspoken about his views. Any of the other 5 council members has an opinion on abortion, I'm sure. It could even be a strong one.

I think it is actually better that CD has made so many posts about his views. At least we know he has a bias. We don't really know with the others.

I do agree that everyone has an opinion on anything and everything. That's a given.

How will each member actually make sure that they don't show their bias, or cancel the bias? Don't vote at all? That doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I still do believe there's a conflict of interest with CD's appointment, even without regard of his stance on abortion. As a delegate of a region, how is he expected to vote? Vote according to the region's wishes? Don't vote because of conflict of interest? Don't be on GAS?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly