NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Preventing Child Exploitation

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Hannasea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Preventing Child Exploitation

Postby Hannasea » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Preventing Child Exploitation
Category: Moral Decency | Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Reaffirming its commitment to achieving fair and ethical labor standards,

Taking particular note of this commitment with regard to the protection of children from exploitation,

Concerned at the absence of an international prohibition on importing goods produced through child labor,

Further concerned at the spread of child sex tourism contributing to child commercial sexual exploitation:

1. Defines for the purposes of this resolution:

• "goods produced through child labor" as goods in whose production and supply chain child labor is involved, where those forms of child labor would be illegal were they to take place within the jurisdiction of the World Assembly,

• "child sexual abuse" as a sexual encounter with a child, where that encounter would be illegal were it to take place within the jurisdiction of the World Assembly;
  2. Requires that each nation prohibit, prevent and prosecute the importation into or transshipment through their sovereign territory any goods produced through child labor;

3. Further requires that each nation prohibit, prevent and prosecute the travel from or through their sovereign territory in order to commit an act of child sexual abuse;

4. Encourages all nations to work together in bringing a worldwide end to child labor, including child commercial sexual exploitation.
Plain English Summary: This resolution (1) requires that nations ban the import of goods produced through child labor, (2) requires that nations ban child sex tourism, (3) extends the principle of extraterritoriality to these crimes, and (4) urges a common international effort to bring to an end these crimes.

Preventing Child Exploitation
Category: Moral Decency | Strength: Mild

The World Assembly,

Reaffirming its commitment to achieving fair and ethical labor standards,

Taking particular note of this commitment with regard to the protection of children from exploitation,

Concerned at the absence of an international prohibition on importing goods produced through child labor,

Further concerned at the spread of child sex tourism contributing to child commercial sexual exploitation:

1. Requires that each nation prohibit, prevent and prosecute the importation into or transshipment through their sovereign territory any goods in whose production child labor is involved at any stage of the supply chain;

2. Further requires that each nation prohibit, prevent and prosecute the travel from or through their sovereign territory in order to commit an act of child sexual abuse;

3. Declares that each nation shall apply their legal standards with respect to child labor and child sexual abuse extraterritorially in their implementation of these requirements;

4. Encourages all nations to work together in bringing a worldwide end to child labor, including child commercial sexual exploitation.
Plain English Summary: This resolution (1) defines child exploitation as evading the jurisdiction of the WA to abuse a child through labor or sexual exploitation, (2) requires that nations ban the import of goods produced through child labor, (3) requires that nations ban child sex tourism, and (4) urges a common international effort to bring to an end these crimes.

"This is the first, very rough, draft, and we are presenting to this esteemed Assembly in grateful hope of any comments or discussion that may arise from it."

Daniella Russel, MA PhD
Representing the office of:
Ambassador Brittany Hepburn
Semi-Permanent Representative to the World Assembly
Last edited by Hannasea on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Read 4 GA.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Hannasea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:06 pm

"Perhaps you could explain a little further what purpose that would serve?"

Daniella Russel, MA PhD

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Hannasea wrote:"Perhaps you could explain a little further what purpose that would serve?"

Daniella Russel, MA PhD

The purpose would be that reading Resolution 4 would give you insight on why your draft is illegal for duplication.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Hannasea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:21 pm

"I am afraid that, having already read said resolution several times, I am unable to see that: which is why I was requesting that the Ambassadors and their staff here explain. Perhaps with a direct textual reference to where, for example, the language in Resolution #4 is requiring a ban on imports? I cannot see any such language."

Daniella Russel, MA PhD

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Bell laughs, "Neither of them really read your draft, ambassador. They assumed your proposal dealt with labor itself. This looks good, but we take exception to clause 3. We don't give a DM what our citizens do abroad, so long as it doesn't impact our citizenry or government. We vehemently oppose extraterritorial jurisdiction for anything short of war crimes or crimes against humanity, and will decline to prosecute if extraterritorial jurisdiction is forced upon us. Our jurisdiction, with few exceptions, stops at our borders. We wouldn't want to impose ourselves upon others any more than others will want to impose upon us.

"Other than that, this looks great."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:45 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Neither of them really read your draft, ambassador.

Draft, § 2-4.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:48 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Neither of them really read your draft, ambassador.

Draft, § 4.

OOC: I'm missing something here. Neither 2, 3, or 4 of either law are in conflict.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Hannasea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:53 pm

"Thank you for the comments, Ambassador Bell. A debate about policy substance - much more what we were looking for!

"The principle of extraterritoriality is important in this matter. Fewer than half of all nations in the world are members of the World Assembly, and the World Assembly cannot legislate upon these many non-members. While some of them may independently choose to ban child labor, others will see a lucrative opportunity in failing to do so and then exporting these goods to WA member states; similarly for tolerating or even condoning the commercial sexual exploitation of children and then permitting "child sex tourists" from member states to travel to their jurisdictions.

"The World Assembly cannot exert any legal authority over these non-members - so having member states exercise extraterritorial jurisdiction is the only means of ensuring that the measures of the resolution take effect. Though, if you can offer an alternate mechanism, I will consider it, as I will do what I can to earn your support for this resolution."

Daniella Russel, MA PhD

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Hannasea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:03 pm

OOC: Have you lost the power of speech? You have gone from grunting three words, to posting an indecipherable numerical reference, to now simply copy-pasting a link. What's next - is your next commentary on the proposal to be in the form of emoji-pasta? Please either explain your reasoning, or else leave the thread.
Last edited by Hannasea on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Hannasea wrote:else leave the thread.

viewtopic.php?p=23783284#p23783284

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=11260571#p11260571

OOC: None of that interferes with this legislation. This legislation deals with transportation to and from countries with the intention of boning a child, and of importing products from places that use child labor. Have you bothered to do a side-by-side comparison?
Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Hannasea wrote:else leave the thread.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p23783284

OOC: Now you're just being bloody petty. I can imagine Scion's reaction to this.
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30&p=11260571#p11260571

OOC: None of that interferes with this legislation. This legislation deals with transportation to and from countries with the intention of boning a child, and of importing products from places that use child labor. Have you bothered to do a side-by-side comparison?

§ 2 -> 222 GA § 3-4, 222 GA § 7
§ 3 -> 312 GA § 7-8, though, I would say that § 9 would preclude its use as a contradictory.
§ 4 -> 4 GA § 2, 4 GA § 4

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:20 pm

Hannasea wrote:"Thank you for the comments, Ambassador Bell. A debate about policy substance - much more what we were looking for!

"The principle of extraterritoriality is important in this matter. Fewer than half of all nations in the world are members of the World Assembly, and the World Assembly cannot legislate upon these many non-members. While some of them may independently choose to ban child labor, others will see a lucrative opportunity in failing to do so and then exporting these goods to WA member states; similarly for tolerating or even condoning the commercial sexual exploitation of children and then permitting "child sex tourists" from member states to travel to their jurisdictions.

"The World Assembly cannot exert any legal authority over these non-members - so having member states exercise extraterritorial jurisdiction is the only means of ensuring that the measures of the resolution take effect. Though, if you can offer an alternate mechanism, I will consider it, as I will do what I can to earn your support for this resolution."

Daniella Russel, MA PhD

"I can see the value of extraterritoriality, though I do wonder how much this would actually disincentivize the act, considering the sheer volume of nonmember states that may or may not take a dim view of sex tourism. I also seriously question how effective charges would be when a member state cannot necessarily conduct an investigation abroad.

"That said, being able to prosecute those individuals if they aren't careful might serve as sufficient deterrence that this will not be too great an issue. It won't hang this delegation up, though I might grumble a little in principal."

OOC: Fantastic first draft. Don't let the curmudgeons turn you off: we're all excellent at being grumpy. Welcome to the snakepit.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: None of that interferes with this legislation. This legislation deals with transportation to and from countries with the intention of boning a child, and of importing products from places that use child labor. Have you bothered to do a side-by-side comparison?

§ 2 -> 222 GA § 3-4, 222 GA § 7
§ 3 -> 312 GA § 7-8, though, I would say that § 9 would preclude its use as a contradictory.
§ 4 -> 4 GA § 2, 4 GA § 4

OOC: Fucking hell, man. The practice cases I briefed this afternoon didn't have this much notation.

"Section 2 doesn't interfere at all with the ability for a nation to investigate an example of child abuse, especially considering this deals with the travel or shipping aspect of child abuse. This deals with utilizing the prospects, and specifically, within one's nation. The requirement of extraterritoriality expands jurisdiciton, it doesn't deal specifically with child abuse, especially because the act isn't necessarily illegal when committed abroad.

"Universal Jurisdiction's clause 9 absolutely precludes that violation.

"Clause 4 of this proposal is an encouraging clause. It isn't a mandatory clause, and can't really cause any contradiction."

Hannasea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:54 pm

"Thank you for the comments, Ambassador Bell. I'm retiring for the night but I'll consider them with the rest of our delegation," says Daniella, furiously trying to hide that "the rest of the delegation" consists just of her, the Ambassador, and the office pet iguana, Ethel. "At present, if it's simply a case of extraterritoriality not being a perfect solution - then, because if for no other reason, no perfect solution exists - I'm inclined to leave it in the resolution text. It's only if keeping it in does actual harm that I'd lean towards removing it."

Daniella Russel, MA PhD
Last edited by Hannasea on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:51 am

Hannasea wrote:[*]Declares that each nation shall apply their legal standards with respect to child labor and child sexual abuse extraterritorially in their implementation of these requirements;

This has similar problems as any attempt to legislate an international age of majority. It would, for example, effectively prohibit a nation with a working age of sixteen from importing from a nation where the expected lifespan is, say, three years.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Hannasea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:19 am

((OOC: It's not clear to me whether that post was in- or out of character, sorry, so I'll have to respond OOC, although I'm not really interested in debating the substance of the proposal OOC on a long term basis.))

((But briefly: I did consider that issue, and hoped the term "legal standards" - rather than explicitly saying "age of majority law" or "age of consent law" - might be vague enough to cover for it. If that's not the case, maybe some alternative wording making it clear the definition only applies to someone who is considered a minor by their nation of jurisdiction - although I worry that opens up a loophole in the other direction?))

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:01 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"We vehemently oppose extraterritorial jurisdiction for anything short of war crimes or crimes against humanity, and will decline to prosecute if extraterritorial jurisdiction is forced upon us. Our jurisdiction, with few exceptions, stops at our borders."

"International piracy, as covered by Resolution #20?"
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:13 am

Hannasea wrote:((OOC: It's not clear to me whether that post was in- or out of character, sorry, so I'll have to respond OOC, although I'm not really interested in debating the substance of the proposal OOC on a long term basis.))

((But briefly: I did consider that issue, and hoped the term "legal standards" - rather than explicitly saying "age of majority law" or "age of consent law" - might be vague enough to cover for it. If that's not the case, maybe some alternative wording making it clear the definition only applies to someone who is considered a minor by their nation of jurisdiction - although I worry that opens up a loophole in the other direction?))

So it would be by the exporting nation's standard?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:11 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"We vehemently oppose extraterritorial jurisdiction for anything short of war crimes or crimes against humanity, and will decline to prosecute if extraterritorial jurisdiction is forced upon us. Our jurisdiction, with few exceptions, stops at our borders."

"International piracy, as covered by Resolution #20?"

"As a maritime nation, we rarely leave anything to prosecute when pirates are encountered. I did mention that there are necessary exceptions."

Wrapper
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wrapper » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:52 am

Hannasea wrote:((OOC: It's not clear to me whether that post was in- or out of character, sorry, so I'll have to respond OOC, although I'm not really interested in debating the substance of the proposal OOC on a long term basis.))

OOC: Just a suggestion, but take a look at GAR#300, particularly, the definition of a child, and how the resolution handles exportation/importation. You might be able to pick up some hints there on wording. Just, ahem, please don't plagiarize me. 8)

Hannasea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Hannasea » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:02 am

((OOC: Thank you. I did look at that resolution, and it's one reason why I only covered the sex tourism aspect of commercial sexual exploitation, as you'd already well covered the pornography aspect very effectively.

On balance, your approach is probably a little clearer, and I'll have a think.

I really, strongly, would prefer to do the policy aspect of this in-character, although I'm uncertain that's actually going to be possible.
Wrapper wrote:Just, ahem, please don't plagiarize me.

Of course not. I am very confident that, should any player engage in plagiarism, such as copying verbatim the work of another player or of another real life legal document, there would be an explicit and public statement by the moderation staff that the nation that that player used was banned from the World Assembly.))
Last edited by Hannasea on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:26 am

The delegation from Falcania has a minor concern with the following sentence in the proposed legislation:
Hannasea wrote:Concerned at the absence of an international prohibition on importing goods produced through child labor,

The Falcon's Board of Directors has gone to great efforts to ensure that all industries in the Free Kingdom use child labour in a fair and non-exploitative manner consistant with GA Resolution #4.

I understand that the sentence in question is not necessarily legally binding but it could be the start of a slippery slope. Falcanian products are often made with child labour - it is a long-standing Falcanian tradition to enter gainful employment before adulthood. We would resist any legislation that would prohibit the import of Falcanian-made goods, manufactured legally, in full compliance with international law.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly