NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Defense of Critical Services

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Knootoss
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Knootoss » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:09 pm

"I'm afraid that the present draft underestimates the role of infrastructure and power generation in modern warfare. Destroying roads and blowing up power plants may prove necessary, whether it is done to prevent a fascist aggressor from advancing unimpeded into ones' territory or to disrupt a communications network that is being used to direct a genocide. I could go along with a resolution that restricts the use of force against civilians and civilian infrastructure as a tactic designed to instill terror, but roads, bridges and power stations are sometimes - often, even - legitimate military targets.

The present draft of this proposal would see the heroic members of La Resistance rounded up and convicted for war crimes."

Barrell Marais
Knootian ambassador to the World Assembly
Last edited by Knootoss on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:08 am

PARSONS: We concur with our colleagues from Knootoss. The framing of the question as 'what is a valid military target' is much better than my admittedly cursory examination, cut short by some kind of financial crisis. Roads, bridges, and power stations are often legitimate military targets which have significant value when conducting any military movement, be it an offensive, a defensive withdrawal, or operations in enemy-occupied territory.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:59 am

Knootoss wrote:"I'm afraid that the present draft underestimates the role of infrastructure and power generation in modern warfare. Destroying roads and blowing up power plants may prove necessary, whether it is done to prevent a fascist aggressor from advancing unimpeded into ones' territory or to disrupt a communications network that is being used to direct a genocide. I could go along with a resolution that restricts the use of force against civilians and civilian infrastructure as a tactic designed to instill terror, but roads, bridges and power stations are sometimes - often, even - legitimate military targets.

The present draft of this proposal would see the heroic members of La Resistance rounded up and convicted for war crimes."

Barrell Marais

"It's fortunate, then, that this resolution allows states to target infrastructure used by military forces nor not critical to civilian survival. Unless it's the last bridge out of Pompeii, I can't see a bridge or major road falling into either category. As for power generation sites, it's far easier and safer to destroy adjacent or nearby substations or transmission lines to disable the generator rather than destroying the generator itself, thus royally screwing any civilians for the ext several years."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

States of Glory WA Office
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Knootoss wrote:fascist

Neville: Honestly, what is it with the WA's obsession with fascism? Did fascists kill all the Ambassadors' parents?

Fairburn: While it's highly likely that at least one Ambassador's parents were killed by fascists, I'll have to agree with Neville. Fascists are as much a threat nowadays as Communists, Nazis and SJWs.
Ambassador: Neville Lynn Robert
Assistant: Harold "The Clown" Johnson
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:32 pm

"Command decisions are always difficult, having to weigh different possibilities against each other. When it comes to infrastructure, the same road that would carry the enemy army towards your capital might be used by civilians fleeing from that advancing force. Do the lives saved by ending a war more quickly count against lives lost by conducting a campaign in the most effective way possible? The present draft does not allow for consideration of these issues.

With regards to power plant, it is a simple fact that plants are bigger and easier to hit. Not every war can be assumed to involve fighter jets wielding precision ammunition in a situation where they have air superiority. And even in this hypothetical scenario the problem remains that substations are much smaller and often located in built-up areas, near the points of distribution. It is also relatively easy to bypass a substation - it can be done in a few hours with a pair of engineers and the right equipment. And is electrical power really necessary for human survival? Again, it depends on the situation.

In answer to Neville - the Dutch Democratic Republic was a pacifist nation that promoted global disarmament until we were invaded by an alliance known as the GDODAD, the Global Dominion of Dictators Against Democracy. They laid waste to our capital and were set to take over the country until our allies rallied and an agreement could be reached to establish a cease-fire. We've good reason to be worried about fascist aggression, having been one of its victims."

Barrell Marais

Ideological Bulwark #7 - RPed population preserves relative population sizes. Webgame population / 100 is used by default. If this doesn't work for you and it is relevant to our RP, please TG.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:01 pm

Knootoss wrote:"Command decisions are always difficult, having to weigh different possibilities against each other. When it comes to infrastructure, the same road that would carry the enemy army towards your capital might be used by civilians fleeing from that advancing force. Do the lives saved by ending a war more quickly count against lives lost by conducting a campaign in the most effective way possible? The present draft does not allow for consideration of these issues.

With regards to power plant, it is a simple fact that plants are bigger and easier to hit. Not every war can be assumed to involve fighter jets wielding precision ammunition in a situation where they have air superiority. And even in this hypothetical scenario the problem remains that substations are much smaller and often located in built-up areas, near the points of distribution. It is also relatively easy to bypass a substation - it can be done in a few hours with a pair of engineers and the right equipment. And is electrical power really necessary for human survival? Again, it depends on the situation.

"I would think that, in the case of imprecision weapons, the need to protect infrastructure is that much greater. Electricity may not be critical in a rural, temperate area, but if you were to cut the power off to a city in a cold climate in the winter, that changes the situation. I wrote this to allow exactly that kind of flexibility in decision-making. I also wanted to protect the generation facility exactly because substations are easier to repair. Destroying the main power supply to a major city at the wrong time of year can be a death sentence to civilians if it takes a year to rebuild a plant. I won't accept this notion that it is a net positive to kill a million civilians to save two million later. We shouldn't be waging war in such a manner that makes that choice necessary in the first place. We are better than those who would leverage the suffering of the innocent against an enemy."

In answer to Neville - the Dutch Democratic Republic was a pacifist nation that promoted global disarmament until we were invaded by an alliance known as the GDODAD, the Global Dominion of Dictators Against Democracy. They laid waste to our capital and were set to take over the country until our allies rallied and an agreement could be reached to establish a cease-fire. We've good reason to be worried about fascist aggression, having been one of its victims."

"Fighting like them makes you as bad as them, ambassador. I submit that, if you cannot survive as a morally superior entity, the difference between you and your enemy of old is merely superficial."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:05 pm

Knootoss wrote:"In answer to Neville - the Dutch Democratic Republic was a pacifist nation that promoted global disarmament until we were invaded by an alliance known as the GDODAD, the Global Dominion of Dictators Against Democracy. They laid waste to our capital and were set to take over the country until our allies rallied and an agreement could be reached to establish a cease-fire. We've good reason to be worried about fascist aggression, having been one of its victims."

Neville: Why, then, do you spend most of your time fighting Communists?

Knootoss
Senator

Postby Knootoss » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:03 pm

I understand the intent behind the draft and will consider some alternative language to allow for a more on-point discussion. At the same time, I cannot reduce the justness of a cause merely to the battlefield tactics used in its defence.

As for Neville, I'd like to point out that most of my career has been spent fighting for transparency, honesty in politics and care for those in need. I also agree with my government that communism, like fascism, is a dangerous and totalitarian ideology. Both are responsible for the death and ruination of billions of innocent lives. Both should be confined to the dustbin of history. People who deny that these ideologies are evil have little standing to lecture anyone else on the finer points of morality."

Barrell Marais

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:38 am

"I tucked in a new exception to Clause 1 for short deprivations that are mere inconveniences. If a member state needs to shut off, I don't know, the water supply or electricity to a civilian population for a duration of time that doesn't constitute a risk to health or safety, it isn't illegal. Being without electricity for a day, even in the middle of winter, is generally not a death sentence but an uncomfortable inconvenience. Being without water for twelve hours is frustrating, but will not rise to the level of a crisis. As such, neither should be strictly banned. However, if a denial of power or water, to continue that example, would give rise to a dangerous denial, it should absolutely be banned."

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:42 pm

PARSONS: As a Duke of the realm, I hereby make Barrell Marais a baronet of the Duchy of Geneva for services to the Duchy and the protection of the realm.

NORTH: Don't you think there are enough baronets already, given every Duke just makes tons of them every time they need something?

PARSONS: The protection and defence of the realm is as good as a reason as any.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:38 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:PARSONS: As a Duke of the realm, I hereby make Barrell Marais a baronet of the Duchy of Geneva for services to the Duchy and the protection of the realm.

NORTH: Don't you think there are enough baronets already, given every Duke just makes tons of them every time they need something?

PARSONS: The protection and defence of the realm is as good as a reason as any.

Fairburn: That's all well and good, Lord Colonel His Grace Cyril Parsons, 1st Duke of Geneva, 1st Earl Parsons of Eastminster, 8th Viscount Parsons of Eastminster, 1st Baron Markenshire of Concilium, Knight of the Garter, Grand Cross of St Michael and St George, Privy Councillor, Member of Parliament for Those-Across-the-Seas; Proconsul Decimus; Permanent Representative to the World Assembly, but what does any of this have to do with the draft at hand?

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 am

States of Glory WA Office wrote:
Knootoss wrote:fascist

Neville: Honestly, what is it with the WA's obsession with fascism? Did fascists kill all the Ambassadors' parents?

Fairburn: While it's highly likely that at least one Ambassador's parents were killed by fascists, I'll have to agree with Neville. Fascists are as much a threat nowadays as Communists, Nazis and SJWs.

"Three of those are a serious threat, and the only context for the fourth I am aware of is that Ambassador Schultz was once called one." Blackbourne responds. "Oh, why do I even bother, you aren't listening."

Separatist Peoples wrote:"I won't accept this notion that it is a net positive to kill a million civilians to save two million later. We shouldn't be waging war in such a manner that makes that choice necessary in the first place. We are better than those who would leverage the suffering of the innocent against an enemy."

"Better morally, perhaps, but not better at waging war." Blackbourne replies to Bell. "The moral side does not win. The side that is willing to resort to whatever it takes to win is the side that will emerge victorious. You say we shouldn't wage war in a way that makes those decisions necessary. I am afraid it isn't up to us, Sir Bell, the enemy is the one who forces us to take such actions by being relentless, merciless, taking the most rational actions to achieve victory."

"Fighting like them makes you as bad as them, ambassador. I submit that, if you cannot survive as a morally superior entity, the difference between you and your enemy of old is merely superficial."

"An absolutely ridiculous idea, akin to saying that arresting someone who kidnapped people makes you as bad as the kidnapper, or shooting a gunman makes you on the same moral level as the gunman. Fighting the enemy in a way that stops them from committing crimes is never the morally wrong choice. The difference between Excidium Planetis and our enemies is that we stop the crimes after we win, and they will only escalate them."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:32 am

"I'm really not willing to engage justifications for fighting dirty and killing innocents. Argue it in your drafting threads. I will not consider the argument that "Sometimes you just have to break a few innocent civilian eggs to make a victory omelette". Fighting is, itself, not immoral. Fighting in a way that puts innocents in unnecessary danger is, and I have no intention of pandering to that kind of bloodlust."

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:32 am

Benny boy, Benny boy, not ehhhh not to bad, but let me ax you a thing or two here. One, services that are "exclusively used by civilians". Can you ehhhhh can you gimme an example? Cuz uhhhhh anything I can think of, I can't think of a reason why someone would exclude their soldiers from usin' those same services. Sounds kinda discrim'natory, ain't it? No, sorry, soldier, you can't use dis gas station, or dis bakery, they're only for civvies. Also, ehhh, "infrastructure", you may wanna define that one. Maybe. I think.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:52 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Fighting is, itself, not immoral. Fighting in a way that puts innocents in unnecessary danger is, and I have no intention of pandering to that kind of bloodlust."

"I agree, Ambassador Bell, that putting civilians in unnecessary danger is morally wrong. What I am arguing, is that putting civilians in necessary danger, as the only possible course of action to win a war, is morally right. If you cannot agree that when only one option remains to achieve victory against a foe whose actions run contrary to the ideals of this World Assembly, that taking that option is the best course of action, I am afraid, Sir Bell, that you wish to condemn us all to death at the hands of tyrants."
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:47 am

OOC: el bump.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:20 pm

"We admire the continued efforts of the delegation from the CDSP to make conflict somewhat more humane, and support this proposal."
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Poldark
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Poldark » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Like many here, The UKP supports the purpose of the proposal. However, we would prefer to see the list of protected civilian services strictly defined, essentially striking "but not limited to". This sort of language is a kind of imprecise laziness that breeds future subjectivity that does not belong in law and future enforcement that could only be described as arbitrary.
His Highness, Ambassador Richard Spencer Albert Poldark, Duke of Winnetka and Captain of the Royal Garter

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Poldark wrote:Like many here, The UKP supports the purpose of the proposal. However, we would prefer to see the list of protected civilian services strictly defined, essentially striking "but not limited to". This sort of language is a kind of imprecise laziness that breeds future subjectivity that does not belong in law and future enforcement that could only be described as arbitrary.

"Considering that list might quickly become outdated over time, we are inclined to allow member's courts to make that distinction for the moment, your Excellency. While water and sewer lines will likely be considered essential to all nations out of self-preservation, as they likely want a similar courtesy extended to them, this delegation is willing to allow flexibility on the topic of, say, fiber optic utility lines for high speed internet connectivity. Some nations will consider that critical. Some nations will not. I would rather leave that question to various court systems rather than bend my head around the impossible problem of defining them all."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:43 pm

"I will repeat the question from Ambassador 53: What services would you say are exclusively used by civilians?"

Bakhton
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakhton » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:10 pm

"We support the proposal as written."
Big Blue Law Book
WA Voting Record
When your resolution fails.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.23
Foreign Policy: -6.81
Culture Left/Right: -8.02

Poldark
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Poldark » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Poldark wrote:Like many here, The UKP supports the purpose of the proposal. However, we would prefer to see the list of protected civilian services strictly defined, essentially striking "but not limited to". This sort of language is a kind of imprecise laziness that breeds future subjectivity that does not belong in law and future enforcement that could only be described as arbitrary.

"Considering that list might quickly become outdated over time, we are inclined to allow member's courts to make that distinction for the moment, your Excellency. While water and sewer lines will likely be considered essential to all nations out of self-preservation, as they likely want a similar courtesy extended to them, this delegation is willing to allow flexibility on the topic of, say, fiber optic utility lines for high speed internet connectivity. Some nations will consider that critical. Some nations will not. I would rather leave that question to various court systems rather than bend my head around the impossible problem of defining them all."

Thank you, Sir. But I fear I'm now confused. Is it to be that local or regional authorities will determine what a critical service is if it is not expressly listed here? That seems unlikely in a law governing the the entire community of WA nations. No?
His Highness, Ambassador Richard Spencer Albert Poldark, Duke of Winnetka and Captain of the Royal Garter

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:"I will repeat the question from Ambassador 53: What services would you say are exclusively used by civilians?"

"That isn't determined by the kind of service. It's determined by the situation on the ground. A city with no military presence nor a military base is going to have a number of infrastructure networks that are, by virtue of not being used by a military force, exclusively used by civilians. Most modern military forces deliberately segregate their military and civilian infrastructure for a number of reasons: first, it protects civilians in the events that the war goes tits up. Second, it lets the military forces better control their resources by providing military oversight and prevent sabotage. Third, it prevents overuse by civilians when rationing or scheduled use is necessary.

"Ultimately, most military forces will not be relying on the overwhelming majority of civilian infrastructure. Possible exceptions might be major highways or sewer systems, but the former isn't necessarily critical and the latter isn't valuable as a target. It is up to your intelligence to identify viable and nonviable targets. Which shouldn't be an issue (OOC: Real life nations do this as SOP) for any military force."

Poldark wrote:
Thank you, Sir. But I fear I'm now confused. Is it to be that local or regional authorities will determine what a critical service is if it is not expressly listed here? That seems unlikely in a law governing the the entire community of WA nations. No?

"Nations are the only enforcement mechanism for WA law at the moment, so national court systems have to be the authority for that endeavor."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 am

"Minor edits made. Nothing substantive, just refined for clarity. Also, the category was changed in favor of International Security. The strength is currently Significant, considering the expense and difficulty of considering infrastructure in military planning, but I'm not married to it."

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby States of Glory WA Office » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:The strength is currently Significant, considering the expense and difficulty of considering infrastructure in military planning, but I'm not married to it.

Harold: Why not? Someone call a vicar!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly