NATION

PASSWORD

The World Assembly Strangers' Bar

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Mon May 28, 2018 8:33 am

Glaeschland wrote:"Hmmm. Signing something in Comic Sans *is* a nigh criminal offense. Still, my statement stands. Would you like a drink? I have plenty bitcoin to spare."

(OOC: just realized everything that happened with bitcoin makes the currency look like a joke now, I founded back in 2016 :mad: )

LaPointe shook her head. “I can’t drink. Well, I can go through the motions, but I can’t actually digest anything. It’s a corporation thing. I did order an unprofessional and typo-ridden legal document earlier, but since it hasn’t arrived after all this time I assume it was dismissed as a joke order.”
ICly a WA member, OOCly not.

Yet another puppet of Essu Beti. Like always, don’t consider stats for one second. Factbooks are the way to go.

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Tue May 29, 2018 4:06 pm

"Ah. A shame." Jonathan sips his stout whiskey and returns to his booth, his ARP plodding close behind.

He opens his laptop once there and decides to browse his government's budget expenditure. "Yeah, that's the stuff," he says with a smile; a pie chart is shown on his screen, showing Glaeschland's expenditure as a pie chart, Defense taking up nearly forty percent of it.
WA Kitty Kops wrote:"Okay, what's your tubehead dog doing? I's not gonna let it sniff my butt." - Chief Inshpekshuuner

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Wed May 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"Ah. A shame." Jonathan sips his stout whiskey and returns to his booth, his ARP plodding close behind.

He opens his laptop once there and decides to browse his government's budget expenditure. "Yeah, that's the stuff," he says with a smile; a pie chart is shown on his screen, showing Glaeschland's expenditure as a pie chart, Defense taking up nearly forty percent of it.

LaPointe unabashedly follows Jonathan and peers over his shoulder at the laptop. “Is your nation in need of a budget analyst?” she asks. “Because I’m willing to offer my services to resolve your military’s bloating problem.”

“You’re not even trained as a budget analyst!” calls CyberVid.

“I’d be better at it than any human, that’s certain enough.”

Yet another puppet of Essu Beti. Like always, don’t consider stats for one second. Factbooks are the way to go.

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Wed May 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Living Corporations wrote:
Glaeschland wrote:"Ah. A shame." Jonathan sips his stout whiskey and returns to his booth, his ARP plodding close behind.

LaPointe unabashedly follows Jonathan and peers over his shoulder at the laptop. “Is your nation in need of a budget analyst?” she asks. “Because I’m willing to offer my services to resolve your military’s bloating problem.”

“You’re not even trained as a budget analyst!” calls CyberVid.

“I’d be better at it than any human, that’s certain enough.”

"Bloating??? Heavens, no! We intentionally spend this much on military. Can't keep our people happy and free if they're dead, captured, or sieged!" With another grin, Jonathan unholsters his Gauss-plasma hybrid pistol and gives it a masterful twirl before reholstering it. The slight bulge of a bulletproof vest under Jonathan's shirt is suddenly a bit more evident.
Last edited by Glaeschland on Wed May 30, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WA Kitty Kops wrote:"Okay, what's your tubehead dog doing? I's not gonna let it sniff my butt." - Chief Inshpekshuuner

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 pm

It's been a long time since Ambassador Norrland walked into the Strangers' Bar.

Same old, same old.

Alethea then gets herself a seat at the bar, and orders a glass of milk to be placed next to her. She missed her ferret friend, and hoped to see him again.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"Bloating??? Heavens, no! We intentionally spend this much on military. Can't keep our people happy and free if they're dead, captured, or sieged!" With another grin, Jonathan unholsters his Gauss-plasma hybrid pistol and gives it a masterful twirl before reholstering it. The slight bulge of a bulletproof vest under Jonathan's shirt is suddenly a bit more evident.

LaPointe looks distinctly unimpressed, perhaps because her choice of weapon is lawsuits instead of anything so crude as an instrument of physical destruction. “If your nation is invaded so frequently as to require a budget so high as that just to avoid destruction, then it follows that you should invest a little more into diplomacy and arranging alliances so that you’re not in that situation in the first place.”

Ferret Civilization
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Ferret Civilization » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:Alethea then gets herself a seat at the bar, and orders a glass of milk to be placed next to her. She missed her ferret friend, and hoped to see him again.

After the shock from having Herby have to leave the bar and WA for what would be forever and Furettium would end up getting another strong emotional swing coming through the door. Sitting down not far from the bar where he was he almost quickly had to excuse himself from his Whovian Tardisia company. As this was a rather special occasion, "Alethea!?"
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"Bloating??? Heavens, no! We intentionally spend this much on military. Can't keep our people happy and free if they're dead, captured, or sieged!" With another grin, Jonathan unholsters his Gauss-plasma hybrid pistol and gives it a masterful twirl before reholstering it. The slight bulge of a bulletproof vest under Jonathan's shirt is suddenly a bit more evident.

LaPointe looks distinctly unimpressed, perhaps because her choice of weapon is lawsuits instead of anything so crude as an instrument of physical destruction. “If your nation is invaded so frequently as to require a budget so high as that just to avoid destruction, then it follows that you should invest a little more into diplomacy and arranging alliances so that you’re not in that situation in the first place.”

"It's not really a matter of repeat invasions nor unfriendliness--we'll make powerful allies without much prodding. It's more that our leader is rather....cynical, and with good reason, seeing all the tyrannical and power-hungry nations these days. We spent lots on defense not from lessons learned, but to save ourselves from having to learn them in the first place. Prevention is the best medicine."
"Your people may fancy lawsuits and the like, but the pen is oft weaker than the sword when the sword is a battery of nuclear weapons aimed at your own capital."

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"It's not really a matter of repeat invasions nor unfriendliness--we'll make powerful allies without much prodding. It's more that our leader is rather....cynical, and with good reason, seeing all the tyrannical and power-hungry nations these days. We spent lots on defense not from lessons learned, but to save ourselves from having to learn them in the first place. Prevention is the best medicine."
"Your people may fancy lawsuits and the like, but the pen is oft weaker than the sword when the sword is a battery of nuclear weapons aimed at your own capital."

“Perhaps for you it is, but I’m literally a corporation,” says LaPointe. “A battery of nuclear weapons can’t hurt me directly, though I admit it would probably hurt me indirectly because nuclear war is bad for the economy and has a high likelihood of killing my clients.“

“Stocks always fall when something is perceived to have happened to the ‘corpor’ part of the corporation,” CyberVid chimes in. “That sounds pretty direct to me.”

“Can you not contradict me in front of people?” LaPointe called over her shoulder to her. Turning back to Jonathan, she continued. “Regardless, your nation should invest more in business. It’ll help them gain even more money to spend on whatever else they desire.”

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"It's not really a matter of repeat invasions nor unfriendliness--we'll make powerful allies without much prodding. It's more that our leader is rather....cynical, and with good reason, seeing all the tyrannical and power-hungry nations these days. We spent lots on defense not from lessons learned, but to save ourselves from having to learn them in the first place. Prevention is the best medicine."

“Perhaps for you it is, but I’m literally a corporation,” says LaPointe. “A battery of nuclear weapons can’t hurt me directly, though I admit it would probably hurt me indirectly because nuclear war is bad for the economy and has a high likelihood of killing my clients.“

“Stocks always fall when something is perceived to have happened to the ‘corpor’ part of the corporation,” CyberVid chimes in. “That sounds pretty direct to me.”

“Can you not contradict me in front of people?” LaPointe called over her shoulder to her. Turning back to Jonathan, she continued. “Regardless, your nation should invest more in business. It’ll help them gain even more money to spend on whatever else they desire.”

"Ah, so you're not really a nation, per se. A conglomerate of sorts, then?"

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"Ah, so you're not really a nation, per se. A conglomerate of sorts, then?"

“The “nation” I’m a part of is comprised of a total of four corporations, yes. Me, CyberVid over there, HealthMart, and Roth. We had to have a nation in order to join, so we made a nation. We take turns being the president, and our territory is a 1 square centimeter patch of land in Antarctica. Before I came to the WA, though, I was based in Vespuccia.”

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"Ah, so you're not really a nation, per se. A conglomerate of sorts, then?"

“The “nation” I’m a part of is comprised of a total of four corporations, yes. Me, CyberVid over there, HealthMart, and Roth. We had to have a nation in order to join, so we made a nation. We take turns being the president, and our territory is a 1 square centimeter patch of land in Antarctica. Before I came to the WA, though, I was based in Vespuccia.”

Jonathan snorts just slightly at the shortage of territory, but soon is submerged in curiosity. "Wouldn't you need a much bigger, more available space if you were to run a massive conglomerate, though??"

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Glaeschland wrote:Jonathan snorts just slightly at the shortage of territory, but soon is submerged in curiosity. "Wouldn't you need a much bigger, more available space if you were to run a massive conglomerate, though??"

“Yes, but that space comes with attention, and we hardly need any land at all if we are to count as a nation in the World Assembly. It’s not like we can go home, anyway,” explains LaPointe. “For all four of us, the only thing keeping us alive is the fact that the portal between our world and the World Assembly interferes with the connection between this part of us-“ At this, she thumps her palm against her chest. “-and the part with employees and stockholders and everything else.”

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Glaeschland wrote:Jonathan snorts just slightly at the shortage of territory, but soon is submerged in curiosity. "Wouldn't you need a much bigger, more available space if you were to run a massive conglomerate, though??"

“Yes, but that space comes with attention, and we hardly need any land at all if we are to count as a nation in the World Assembly. It’s not like we can go home, anyway,” explains LaPointe. “For all four of us, the only thing keeping us alive is the fact that the portal between our world and the World Assembly interferes with the connection between this part of us-“ At this, she thumps her palm against her chest. “-and the part with employees and stockholders and everything else.”

"So...to get out of being attacked and be able to run a massive conglomerate at the same time....you simply operate out of an alternate dimension?"

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:41 am

Ferret Civilization wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:Alethea then gets herself a seat at the bar, and orders a glass of milk to be placed next to her. She missed her ferret friend, and hoped to see him again.

After the shock from having Herby have to leave the bar and WA for what would be forever and Furettium would end up getting another strong emotional swing coming through the door. Sitting down not far from the bar where he was he almost quickly had to excuse himself from his Whovian Tardisia company. As this was a rather special occasion, "Alethea!?"

Alethea, having heard the familiar ferret voice in the background, turned her head only to see her Furrettium. Shocked, and surprised - Alethea started sputtering in relative incoherence -

"Oh Furrettium! How I was wishing you were here, and you are indeed! How are you? How has life been? I've gotten a glass of milk here for you, do you mind joining me at the bar?"
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Ferret Civilization
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Ferret Civilization » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:46 am

Elke and Elba wrote:"Oh Furrettium! How I was wishing you were here, and you are indeed! How are you? How has life been? I've gotten a glass of milk here for you, do you mind joining me at the bar?"

"I had to return the favor did I not, life has been going all over the place for me. Unofficially retired yet still representing my nation while it goes back and forth on what it wants to do, probably typical stuff. I have just been enjoying being lazy around this place." Having probably already had three glasses of milk surprisingly the Ferret could not turn down another when that choice came around, "Sure! How have you been yourself, surely more exciting of a time over this, has it been a year for you out there?"
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:52 am

Glaeschland wrote:"So...to get out of being attacked and be able to run a massive conglomerate at the same time....you simply operate out of an alternate dimension?"

“Attacked? Pfft! No, it’s that the “conglomerate” part is already dead, or will be soon. CyberVid’s been in a slow death spiral ever since the dotcom bubble burst, and I’m not sure how she even survived this long at all, and Roth just had to close the last of his stores. But if we’re on this side of the portal, that death doesn’t reflect on our bodies.”

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"So...to get out of being attacked and be able to run a massive conglomerate at the same time....you simply operate out of an alternate dimension?"

“Attacked? Pfft! No, it’s that the “conglomerate” part is already dead, or will be soon. CyberVid’s been in a slow death spiral ever since the dotcom bubble burst, and I’m not sure how she even survived this long at all, and Roth just had to close the last of his stores. But if we’re on this side of the portal, that death doesn’t reflect on our bodies.”

Jonathan furrows his brow and mulls over the information given thus far. He's quite a smart man, but this seems to have him a bit confused.
"So....you're synthetic beings...from another dimension....who can't die in *this* dimension...and are also running a failing conglomerate from said alternate dimension. Am I piecing this together any?"
Last edited by Glaeschland on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Glaeschland wrote:Jonathan furrows his brow and mulls over the information given thus far. He's quite a smart man, but this seems to have him a bit confused.
"So....you're synthetic beings...from another dimension....who can't die in *this* dimension...and are also running a failing conglomerate from said alternate dimension. Am I piecing this together any?"

LaPointe shrugs. "You're close. We're more like summoned anthropomorphic personifications than synthetic beings. And my conglomerate is long gone; I'm really just trying not to let this part of me die." She continued, "Now, we _could_ theoretically die here, but I don't know how true that is. If another corporation comes through the portal and gets a little salty, we won't have our economic value to fall back on. Wonder Co. beat the shit out of CyberVid over there for copyright infringement after the lawsuits didn't teach her to cut it out. If he does the same here, she might not be able to recover."

"I almost didn't recover the first time," said CyberVid. "Do you have any idea much stockholder trust tanks when someone as powerful as Wonder Co. takes offense at your existence?"

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:05 pm

Glaeschland wrote:Jonathan furrows his brow and mulls over the information given thus far. He's quite a smart man, but this seems to have him a bit confused.

LaPointe shrugs. "You're close. We're more like summoned anthropomorphic personifications than synthetic beings. And my conglomerate is long gone; I'm really just trying not to let this part of me die." She continued, "Now, we _could_ theoretically die here, but I don't know how true that is. If another corporation comes through the portal and gets a little salty, we won't have our economic value to fall back on. Wonder Co. beat the shit out of CyberVid over there for copyright infringement after the lawsuits didn't teach her to cut it out. If he does the same here, she might not be able to recover."

"I almost didn't recover the first time," said CyberVid. "Do you have any idea much stockholder trust tanks when someone as powerful as Wonder Co. takes offense at your existence?"

"Oof. Doesn't sound pleasant. Well, our nation could use any financial colossus we could get. Black projects don't exactly leave you in the black, if you catch my drift."

Living Corporations
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Living Corporations » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"Oof. Doesn't sound pleasant. Well, our nation could use any financial colossus we could get. Black projects don't exactly leave you in the black, if you catch my drift."

LaPointe smiles. "Well, I'd be willing to help with-"

"All four of us are failed corporations. Bad idea," interrupts CyberVid. "Better to summon your own corporation. Or better yet, summon the personification of your nation."

"There are reasons no one does that! Look-" LaPointe turns back to Jonathan. "Don't listen to anything that dotgone says- she launched a hopelessly optimistic business plan at a horrible time for it. And then she had the brilliant idea to anger Wonder Co. three times."

"I'm sorry, how many of your lawyers were arrested or disbarred after that evidence fabrication scandal? You can't even handle your own employees, how do you think you can handle someone else's?"

Glaeschland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glaeschland » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Glaeschland wrote:"Oof. Doesn't sound pleasant. Well, our nation could use any financial colossus we could get. Black projects don't exactly leave you in the black, if you catch my drift."

LaPointe smiles. "Well, I'd be willing to help with-"

"All four of us are failed corporations. Bad idea," interrupts CyberVid. "Better to summon your own corporation. Or better yet, summon the personification of your nation."

"There are reasons no one does that! Look-" LaPointe turns back to Jonathan. "Don't listen to anything that dotgone says- she launched a hopelessly optimistic business plan at a horrible time for it. And then she had the brilliant idea to anger Wonder Co. three times."

"I'm sorry, how many of your lawyers were arrested or disbarred after that evidence fabrication scandal? You can't even handle your own employees, how do you think you can handle someone else's?"

Jonathan watches the corporate leaders bicker, amused, while pulling out his hybrid pistol and tweaking around with it, making sure everything is in working order.

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:18 am

Artorrios had wandered quietly into the Bar a little while ago, and ordered a meal as well as a drink. Overhearing this nearby conversation, and seeing Jonathan playing with a gun, he now looks up from his food (trilobite on the half-shell, with various side-dishes, in case you wondered), and addresses those people.

"Ahem.
"In case you weren't already informed, this building is fitted with
Acme Weapons Neutralizers. It's impossible to inflict serious harm on anybody within the premises, and if anybody tries to do that then they're likely to find the weapon used -- as well as its effects -- turned at least temporarily into something harmless..."

(OOC: These devices are a canonical & longstanding part of GA RP, to make peaceful interaction easier and prevent incidents like the time that a noob claimed his ambassador had brought in a suitcase nuke to suicide-bomb the entire building.)
Last edited by Bears Armed Mission on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Whovian Tardisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Whovian Tardisia » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Bears Armed Mission wrote:"Ahem.
"In case you weren't already informed, this building is fitted with
Acme Weapons Neutralizers. It's impossible to inflict serious harm on anybody within the premises, and if anybody tries to do that then they're likely to find the weapon used -- as well as its effects -- turned at least temporarily into something harmless..."

The gruff voice caused both Jack and Rupert to turn and face it, each for their own reasons. On any other day, Jack would have been quite surprised to see a bear in bar, but by now nothing in this place could surprise him.
"So guns don't work here." He stated, more for his own benefit than anyone else's as he palmed the butt of his own sidearm. "Good to know..."
"Artorrios!" Pink exclaimed, approaching the Ursine Ambassador. "It's been too long. Busy with your new duties, I take it?" He inquired.

Captain Wilson simply took another sip of coffee. She wished it were something stronger, but she was still on duty, technically speaking. It would be irresponsible to meet with the Imperium if she was...
Her train of thought was cut short as the TARDIS door swung open. There Sarah stood, holding a pewter mug, similar to the many mugs behind the bar. The faint bonging of a Cloister bell could be heard, from farther within the box than it should have been. Captain Wilson noticed that the lighting behind Sarah was not what she expected from a console room. Sarah shut the door behind her as she came to sit with the Captain, placing the mug in front of her. Seeing it up close, the designs on it were clear; there were many smaller, intricate details, but emblazoned very clearly on either side was a circle, containing only the number 53.
An FT (Class W11) nation capable of space travel, but has never attempted invading another planet. The Space Brigade is for defense only! Also, something happened to Ambassador Pink.
From the desk of Rupert Pink:
The Grand Gallifreyan Republic of Whovian Tardisia
Floor 12, Office 42 of WAHQ
Proud patron of the World Assembly Stranger's Bar.
The Interstellar Cartographers are back! This time, they explore Methuselah.

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Bears Armed Mission wrote:(trilobite on the half-shell, with various side-dishes, in case you wondered)

Ogenbond grimaces at the Ursine ambassador's meal. He thinks to comment on it, but thinks better of it. "You know, that's hardly the weirdest thing I've seen in this bar. At least it looks somewhat similar to crustacean."
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly