NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Renewable Research Commitment"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
User avatar
New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 51
Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Repeal "Renewable Research Commitment"

Postby New Vancouvia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 pm

http://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_pas ... /start=259

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the attempt of Resolution #182 to reduce the usage of fossil fuels in member nations through requiring research on renewable energy;

Perplexed by the requirement that each member nation commit "sufficient funding" towards researching renewable energy when the World Assembly should, when feasible as in this case, work together towards conquering common problems, instead of assigning vague and inefficient instructions onto each individual member nation;

Confused by the suggestion that nations tax at least 5% of fossil-fuel burning power plants' expenditures instead of their revenues or operating income;

Disturbed that 5% was seemingly chosen at random, and that a flat tax does not take into consideration the wide disparity of our member nations and their economies and existing industries, nor each nation's already present financial commitments towards implementing and subsidizing renewable energy financed through other sources;

Concerned that this resolution only suggests that nations implement results from the research, and that therefore a nation which heavily utilizes fossil fuels may continue to pollute the environment despite access to clean and renewable energy if it is financially sensible for them to do so;

Wishing that this resolution had installed a World Assembly committee that focused on promoting, sharing, and implementing renewable energy technologies instead of requiring nations to vaguely commit "sufficient funding" towards research, encouraging nations to implement an aimless tax on power plants, and not requiring nations to actually change their polluting behavior;

Affirming that the attainment and usage of clean and renewable energy is a laudable and necessary goal, and that all nations should seek to reduce their fossil fuel usage, but that this resolution fails to set our nations on the path towards the achievement of this goal;

Hereby repeals "General Assembly Resolution #182, Renewable Research Commitment"
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: At Vote Edit

User avatar
Astrolinium
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36597
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Astrolinium » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Dr. Romero dusted off his jacket -- he'd been sitting for a while -- and coughed, standing up.

"The Sublime Island Kingdom would like to know whether there is any good-faith attempt being made to replace the resolution this one seeks to repeal."
✡ וישבו איש תחת גפנו ותחת תאנתו ואין מחריד כי־פי יי צבאות דבר ✡
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

User avatar
New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 51
Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Astrolinium wrote:Dr. Romero dusted off his jacket -- he'd been sitting for a while -- and coughed, standing up.

"The Sublime Island Kingdom would like to know whether there is any good-faith attempt being made to replace the resolution this one seeks to repeal."


Yes

User avatar
Astrolinium
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36597
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:47 am

New Vancouvia wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:Dr. Romero dusted off his jacket -- he'd been sitting for a while -- and coughed, standing up.

"The Sublime Island Kingdom would like to know whether there is any good-faith attempt being made to replace the resolution this one seeks to repeal."


Yes

"Is this attempt... currently publicly available anywhere?"
✡ וישבו איש תחת גפנו ותחת תאנתו ואין מחריד כי־פי יי צבאות דבר ✡
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

User avatar
Imperium Anglorum
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8955
Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:36 am

Astrolinium wrote:
New Vancouvia wrote:Yes

"Is this attempt... currently publicly available anywhere?"

I do not believe so.

Author: 1 SC and 28 GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
Delegate for Europe
Out-of-character unless marked otherwise
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Dastardly villain providing free services to the community sans remuneration

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7516
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:57 am

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:"Is this attempt... currently publicly available anywhere?"

I do not believe so.

We will still have widespread renewable energy even if this thing is repealed.
leftism, environmental protection, two-state solution, atheism, evolution, income equality, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice, gun regulation, pacifism, science, net neutrality
GOP, extreme political views, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Trump, fascism, wealth gaps, corporate socialism, war, NSA, ICE, internet censorship, CIA, NRA, environmental destruction, pseudoscience, homophobia, Confederacy, KKK, xenophobia, jingoism, Citizens United, corruption

User avatar
Equitia
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Aug 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Another Pointless Repeal

Postby Equitia » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:48 am

I find it extremely frustrating how we now seem to have reached a point where we really just go through legislation, nitpick and repeal it for the sake of having something to vote on. Repealing this legislation will do more harm than good. Vancouvia, would it not make more sense to instead propose a supplementary legislation expanding on this one, amending some of the issues, as opposed to repealing it altogether and putting the world at risk of containing countries with no real obligation to develop renewables? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Progressivism, LGBT rights, social democracy, the Nordic model, pacifism, feminism, abortion, euthanasia, the EU.

Conservatives/conservatism, neoliberalism/laissez-faire, jingoism, racism, homophobia, sexism, the death penalty, euroscepticism.

Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

ENTJ

User avatar
Astrolinium
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36597
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Equitia wrote:I find it extremely frustrating how we now seem to have reached a point where we really just go through legislation, nitpick and repeal it for the sake of having something to vote on. Repealing this legislation will do more harm than good. Vancouvia, would it not make more sense to instead propose a supplementary legislation expanding on this one, amending some of the issues, as opposed to repealing it altogether and putting the world at risk of containing countries with no real obligation to develop renewables? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

"The World Assembly cannot make amendments. That said, I do think that the current condition of constant repeals is deplorable and until such a time as I have seen a suitable replacement, the Sublime Island Kingdom and, according, the Region of Ankh Mauta, shall be voting no on this repeal attempt. We urge all other nations to join us -- if nothing else, given that this resolution seems to have been submitted initially without discussion and given that the replacement is not currently publicly available, we urge that all nations join us in the name of transparency in world government."
✡ וישבו איש תחת גפנו ותחת תאנתו ואין מחריד כי־פי יי צבאות דבר ✡
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

User avatar
New Vancouvia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 51
Founded: Oct 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Vancouvia » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Wasn't planning on making a replacement unless I saw that this had a fair chance of passing. I'm going to work on it today or tomorrow and then post it to the forum for draft review.

That said, the notion that you need international legislation for your country to support renewable energy is silly. Vancouvia is a region-leader in renewable energy and it has done this in the span of 15 years with no international help or guidance. This is an example of an issue that doesn't need legislation on it at all. A low priority. But since it is a priority to other people and it is a subject I enjoy, I will be doing what I said in the first paragraph.

User avatar
Astrolinium
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36597
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:45 pm

New Vancouvia wrote:Wasn't planning on making a replacement unless I saw that this had a fair chance of passing. I'm going to work on it today or tomorrow and then post it to the forum for draft review.

That said, the notion that you need international legislation for your country to support renewable energy is silly. Vancouvia is a region-leader in renewable energy and it has done this in the span of 15 years with no international help or guidance. This is an example of an issue that doesn't need legislation on it at all. A low priority. But since it is a priority to other people and it is a subject I enjoy, I will be doing what I said in the first paragraph.


"The Sublime Island Kingdom certainly does not need international legislation to support renewable energy, but can we really trust other countries? The Kennyites are a truly deplorable bunch, after all, and Bears Armed hardly has a government to speak of."
✡ וישבו איש תחת גפנו ותחת תאנתו ואין מחריד כי־פי יי צבאות דבר ✡
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

User avatar
Khar Od
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 9
Founded: Dec 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Khar Od » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:45 pm

New Vancouvia wrote:Wasn't planning on making a replacement unless I saw that this had a fair chance of passing. I'm going to work on it today or tomorrow and then post it to the forum for draft review.

That said, the notion that you need international legislation for your country to support renewable energy is silly. Vancouvia is a region-leader in renewable energy and it has done this in the span of 15 years with no international help or guidance. This is an example of an issue that doesn't need legislation on it at all. A low priority. But since it is a priority to other people and it is a subject I enjoy, I will be doing what I said in the first paragraph.


President Delkhiin Azarga of Khar Od stands from his chair.

"We of the Independent Dominion of Khar Od will contribute what technological resources we are able to committing to the development of renewable energy and would gladly work with New Vancouvia to develop sensible legislation to support a global renewable effort. Our country has developed a strong technology sector yet we are still reliant on mined uranium for power which has taken a harsh toll on our environment. We would like to shift to using renewable energies to help provide sustainability to our energy grid as well as restore our environment to it's previous state. Though it will take time, it's something I believe that must be done.

Let us see that new, acceptable legislation is drafted and proposed in the General Assembly so that we may all ensure the long-term sustainability of our nations and the preservation or restoration of our natural environments."

President Azarga retakes his seat.
Last edited by Khar Od on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Novaya Leviathan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 167
Founded: Oct 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Leviathan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Outer Sparta wrote:
Imperium Anglorum wrote:I do not believe so.

We will still have widespread renewable energy even if this thing is repealed.


Delegate, that's not a guarantee. Climate change is affecting us in serious ways, and we must take initiative to mitigate its effects.

Unless an alternative initiative is already being discussed or drafted, *check his papers* ... and I don't see any right now, I see more negative consequences arising from the removal of this proposal than from its continuation. At least this a step in the right direction.
Last edited by Novaya Leviathan on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DEFCON 5:
DEFCON 4: Increased intelligence watch and strengthened security measures
DEFCON 3:Increase in force readiness above than required for normal readiness
DEFCON 2: Further increase in force readiness, but less than maximum readiness
DEFCON 1: War is imminent.

George Patton - Sniper Special Training School of Novaya Leviathan
Perimeter Platform - Antimatter Weapon System of Novaya Leviathan for Space Warfare
Novaya Leviathan National Research Program (NL-NRP)
Novaya Leviathan Intelligence Agency (NL-IA)
AK-Explorator (AK-EX)
Perimeter Platform
Lethal Ghost SD (LG-SVD)
Great Ruru Mask (G-Ruru Mask)
[Units]Virtual and Electronic Warfare Team - Team 3 (VEWT - Team3)

User avatar
Outer Sparta
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7516
Founded: Dec 26, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Outer Sparta » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Novaya Leviathan wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:We will still have widespread renewable energy even if this thing is repealed.


Delegate, that's not a guarantee. Climate change is affecting us in serious ways, and we must take initiative to mitigate its effects.

Unless an alternative initiative is already being discussed or drafted, *check his papers* ... and I don't see any right now, I see more negative consequences arising from the removal of this proposal than from its continuation. At least this a step in the right direction.

Well if we are marked to remove this, we need a replacement draft to even things out.
leftism, environmental protection, two-state solution, atheism, evolution, income equality, universal healthcare, free college, social equality, LGBT, pro-choice, gun regulation, pacifism, science, net neutrality
GOP, extreme political views, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Trump, fascism, wealth gaps, corporate socialism, war, NSA, ICE, internet censorship, CIA, NRA, environmental destruction, pseudoscience, homophobia, Confederacy, KKK, xenophobia, jingoism, Citizens United, corruption

User avatar
The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1749
Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:00 pm

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

While we are normally in favor of promoting the use of renewable resources to minimize the stress on the environment, we agree with Vancouvia that this law is seriously flawed. Parts of it are confusing, such as what "sufficient funding in order to make a meaningful and good faith effort" is supposed to mean. Also, the mandated "minimum 5% from their expenditure" (presumably meaning expenditure on fossil-fuel burning power plants, but again the wording here is unclear) presents a drag on a nation's energy industry with no clear social or environmental benefit.

The cause of the environment is not served by bad law, so we stand in favor of this repeal. Hopefully we will see a more clearly worded and effective replacement.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

User avatar
Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20350
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:59 pm

"While I unequivocally support domestic policy to encourage advancement toward a clean, well-protected environment, the target resolution clearly imposes unreasonable and unrealistic policy on member states. Most apparently, the flat five percent tax on expenditures related to the use of fossil fuels is arbitrary, narrow-minded, and illogical. I shall fully support this repeal, and oppose any replacement that mandates similarly ridiculous penalties upon the energy industry for simply using the resources available to supply vital utilities to member states and their peoples."
PROFESSIONAL CRITIC OF ALL THINGS GENSEC
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD
Minister of World Assembly Affairs for The East Pacific

User avatar
Novaya Leviathan
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 167
Founded: Oct 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Leviathan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:36 pm

Wallenburg wrote:"While I unequivocally support domestic policy to encourage advancement toward a clean, well-protected environment, the target resolution clearly imposes unreasonable and unrealistic policy on member states. Most apparently, the flat five percent tax on expenditures related to the use of fossil fuels is arbitrary, narrow-minded, and illogical. I shall fully support this repeal, and oppose any replacement that mandates similarly ridiculous penalties upon the energy industry for simply using the resources available to supply vital utilities to member states and their peoples."


*Points with his open hand and looks sternly at the Wallenburg delegate*

That is the exact reason I don't think repealing this resolution is a good idea. It's a blank check for nations with utter disregard of climate change, sustainable growth, the environment and the quality of life for future generations. It is frightening.
Last edited by Novaya Leviathan on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DEFCON 5:
DEFCON 4: Increased intelligence watch and strengthened security measures
DEFCON 3:Increase in force readiness above than required for normal readiness
DEFCON 2: Further increase in force readiness, but less than maximum readiness
DEFCON 1: War is imminent.

George Patton - Sniper Special Training School of Novaya Leviathan
Perimeter Platform - Antimatter Weapon System of Novaya Leviathan for Space Warfare
Novaya Leviathan National Research Program (NL-NRP)
Novaya Leviathan Intelligence Agency (NL-IA)
AK-Explorator (AK-EX)
Perimeter Platform
Lethal Ghost SD (LG-SVD)
Great Ruru Mask (G-Ruru Mask)
[Units]Virtual and Electronic Warfare Team - Team 3 (VEWT - Team3)

User avatar
Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20350
Founded: Jan 30, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Wallenburg » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Novaya Leviathan wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:"While I unequivocally support domestic policy to encourage advancement toward a clean, well-protected environment, the target resolution clearly imposes unreasonable and unrealistic policy on member states. Most apparently, the flat five percent tax on expenditures related to the use of fossil fuels is arbitrary, narrow-minded, and illogical. I shall fully support this repeal, and oppose any replacement that mandates similarly ridiculous penalties upon the energy industry for simply using the resources available to supply vital utilities to member states and their peoples."

*Points with his open hand and looks sternly at the Wallenburg delegate*

That is the exact reason I don't think repealing this resolution is a good idea. It's a blank check for nations with utter disregard of climate change, sustainable growth, the environment and the quality of life for future generations. It is frightening.

Rep. Trevanyika stands and jabs her finger at the ambassador, "Do not dare pretend that I or my home government ignore the needs of our children or their world. And do not dare pretend that our planet undergoes the same environmental changes as yours."
PROFESSIONAL CRITIC OF ALL THINGS GENSEC
There never has been, nor will there ever be, such thing as a wallenburger.
grestin went through the MKULTRA program and he has more of a free will than wallenburg does - Imperial Idaho
PRO: GOOD || ANTI: BAD
Minister of World Assembly Affairs for The East Pacific

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18644
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:10 am

Astrolinium wrote:and Bears Armed hardly has a government to speak of."

OOC: It has a bit more of a government than the game stats suggest, although admittedly that government has little authority over any matters that are constitutionally defined as being internal ones for the confederation's member clans (and other 'confederated bodys') to handle separately. Pollution that crosses the boundaries of clan's [etc] territories would fall within its jurisdiction, but specifying particular means of energy-generation wouldn't.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Excidium Planetis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7483
Founded: May 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:26 am

Novaya Leviathan wrote:
Outer Sparta wrote:We will still have widespread renewable energy even if this thing is repealed.


Delegate, that's not a guarantee. Climate change is affecting us in serious ways, and we must take initiative to mitigate its effects.

"If your planet is having climate issues, it is your fault. I fail to see why the WA should intervene in a purely regional affair."

Novaya Leviathan wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:"While I unequivocally support domestic policy to encourage advancement toward a clean, well-protected environment, the target resolution clearly imposes unreasonable and unrealistic policy on member states. Most apparently, the flat five percent tax on expenditures related to the use of fossil fuels is arbitrary, narrow-minded, and illogical. I shall fully support this repeal, and oppose any replacement that mandates similarly ridiculous penalties upon the energy industry for simply using the resources available to supply vital utilities to member states and their peoples."


*Points with his open hand and looks sternly at the Wallenburg delegate*

That is the exact reason I don't think repealing this resolution is a good idea. It's a blank check for nations with utter disregard of climate change, sustainable growth, the environment and the quality of life for future generations. It is frightening.


"If nations are so short-sighted and stupid to completely ruin themselves in the absence of legislation, I say they should be allowed to destroy themselves. We don't need fools around."
Ex-Ambassador (deceased): Evander Blackbourne
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 8, 7.5 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.


News: None. Good, right?

User avatar
Wrapper
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 5899
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Wrapper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:31 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:"If nations are so short-sighted and stupid to completely ruin themselves in the absence of legislation, I say they should be allowed to destroy themselves. We don't need fools around."

And take the innocents along with them? Please, don't make us roll out a "think of the children" type of -- whoops, too late.

WA legislation such as this isn't to protect nations from self-destruction; it's to protect those who cannot protect themselves from such would-be self-destructive nations.
Last edited by Wrapper on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Excidium Planetis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7483
Founded: May 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:43 am

Wrapper wrote:
Excidium Planetis wrote:"If nations are so short-sighted and stupid to completely ruin themselves in the absence of legislation, I say they should be allowed to destroy themselves. We don't need fools around."

And take the innocents along with them? Please, don't make us roll out a "think of the children" type of -- whoops, too late.

WA legislation such as this isn't to protect nations from self-destruction; it's to protect those who cannot protect themselves from such would-be self-destructive nations.


"These 'innocents' you speak of either voted for the idiots in charge or choose to continue living under an idiotic dictatorship and are destroying their environment in the process. Either way, they are hardly free of blame.

"Oh wait, you meant the actual children. Eh, living in such a society is a fate worse than death."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ex-Ambassador (deceased): Evander Blackbourne
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 8, 7.5 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.


News: None. Good, right?

User avatar
Astrolinium
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36597
Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:and Bears Armed hardly has a government to speak of."

OOC: It has a bit more of a government than the game stats suggest, although admittedly that government has little authority over any matters that are constitutionally defined as being internal ones for the confederation's member clans (and other 'confederated bodys') to handle separately. Pollution that crosses the boundaries of clan's [etc] territories would fall within its jurisdiction, but specifying particular means of energy-generation wouldn't.

OOC: And Astrolinium has an absolute monarchy; to an Astrolinian, the Bears Armed system looks like chaos.
✡ וישבו איש תחת גפנו ותחת תאנתו ואין מחריד כי־פי יי צבאות דבר ✡
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

User avatar
Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 421
Founded: Jun 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:34 am

Ambassador Hasani stands up, looks slowly around, and begins to speak:

"The intentions of Vancouvia seem good, yet we still have one concern. Does nuclear energy count as renewable? Despite the illogical opposition of some luddite hippies, advanced thorium nuclear power plants which supply the majority of Transoxiana's electricity, do no harm to the environment if carefully regulated, and our planet needs them to take up the burden until sources like solar can be deployed in sufficient numbers. If you do not consider nuclear power as renewable, we shall vote AGAINST."

OOC note: Also, for any of you who doubt nuclear power see this. Also, don't take my IC insults personally. Remember that Transoxiana had its revolution less than a decade ago, and tempers are still hot.
Left/Right -8.64 Libertarian/Authoritarian -0.92
Gov: Mix of Platonic Meritocracy, Liberal Democracy, and Iran.
WA Ambassador: Sayid Ali Hasni
Half-Pakistani half Filipino Shia living in the US.
Note: This is a revolutionary state, so in the WA, I my post stuff stronger than my actual opinion.
(Not Exhaustive)Pro: BDS, Iran*, environmentalism,
Medium**on: Hezbollah (+), FSA (-), Kurdistan (-), Iraqi gov' (+), Pan-Shia/Islam/Arabism
Against: Monarchy, Saudis, Hamas, DAISH, anti-intellectualism
*Not on everything
**+: 'I like their cause but not their methods' -: 'would be nice, in theory, but impractical in the real world.

User avatar
Wrapper
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 5899
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Wrapper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:40 am

Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana wrote:"The intentions of Vancouvia seem good, yet we still have one concern. Does nuclear energy count as renewable? Despite the illogical opposition of some luddite hippies, advanced thorium nuclear power plants which supply the majority of Transoxiana's electricity, do no harm to the environment if carefully regulated, and our planet needs them to take up the burden until sources like solar can be deployed in sufficient numbers. If you do not consider nuclear power as renewable, we shall vote AGAINST."

Nuclear energy may be clean, but it is not a renewable source of energy. Uranium, thorium or other source materials can be depleted over long periods of time, much in the same way fossil fuels can.

User avatar
Excidium Planetis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7483
Founded: May 01, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Excidium Planetis » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:48 am

Wrapper wrote:
Islamic Meritocratic Transoxiana wrote:"The intentions of Vancouvia seem good, yet we still have one concern. Does nuclear energy count as renewable? Despite the illogical opposition of some luddite hippies, advanced thorium nuclear power plants which supply the majority of Transoxiana's electricity, do no harm to the environment if carefully regulated, and our planet needs them to take up the burden until sources like solar can be deployed in sufficient numbers. If you do not consider nuclear power as renewable, we shall vote AGAINST."

Nuclear energy may be clean, but it is not a renewable source of energy. Uranium, thorium or other source materials can be depleted over long periods of time, much in the same way fossil fuels can.


"But what if you use nuclear fusion? Hydrogen is far more abundant, and solar power relies on nuclear fusion... Actually, one could make the case that no energy source is renewable. The stars will die out, the winds will stop, the water will freeze."
Last edited by Excidium Planetis on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Ambassador (deceased): Evander Blackbourne
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 8, 7.5 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.


News: None. Good, right?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads