NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] Animal Transport Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

[IDEA] Animal Transport Act

Postby Aligned Planets » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:25 am

Aware of the current Standardised Passport Act, authored by Cobdenia, I wanted to explore the idea of a Pet Passport Act to regulate the international transport of pets / animals.

The situation here is that when a person enters or returns to Aligned Planets from another WA or non-WA listed nation with a pet, that pet needs to meet our entry requirements. These include:
  • a microchip
  • a rabies vaccination
  • a pet passport or similar official veterinary certificate
  • a tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)
Persons must wait 21 whole days from the date of the rabies vaccination before travelling.

We also have a minimum age of 12 weeks before a pet can be vaccinated against rabies, and pet passports include a requirement for contact details to be provided by the vet issuing documents and certifying the veterinary treatments.

The main thrust of the agreement would be to have a requirement for all member nations to carry out checks on their borders (Aligned Planets already checks all pets coming into the nation through approved routes). A harmonization of processes between WA member nations would be useful, to streamline alongside travel for persons, and an agreement on quarantine procedures for animals arriving from non-WA member states. I don't envisage this being extended to commercial transport of animals (i.e. cattle for food).

This is only a bare bones idea that I've put together on my lunch at work, and I'll aim to flesh out an actual proposal in the next couple of days, but wanted to test the waters first.


Okay - here's the first draft [as of 15th April 2015]:

Animal Transport Act
Category: Free Trade
Strength: Mild
A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

The General Assembly,

AWARE of the transportation of animals across transnational boundaries for commercial and non-commercial purposes;

CONCERNED about the spread and transmission across transnational boundaries of vector-borne diseases and other infectious agents hazardous to animal and sapient life;

DESIROUS of establishing standardised exportation requirements for the transit of animals across transnational boundaries to mitigate this risk of spread and transmission;

NOTING that the scope of this resolution does not extend to the natural migration of animals across transnational boundaries;

HEREBY

MANDATES that all Member States must enact standardised exportation requirements for the transit of animals across transnational boundaries;

TASKS the World Health Authority (WHA) and the Protection of Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) with establishing standardised exportation requirements for the transit of animals across transnational boundaries;

REAFFIRMS the rights of Member States to enact such importation requirements as required, and to enact more rigorous exportation requirements than mandated by this resolution.
Last edited by Aligned Planets on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:37 am

I think it's a reasonable idea, but I would stay away from specific diseases (e.g. rabies) for fear of the inevitable species-wank that will come crashing down. I would also not call it "pet passport": though the idea is worthy of international attention, it sounds like something cutesy and irrelevant.

Could this possibly go in Healthcare?

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:03 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:I think it's a reasonable idea, but I would stay away from specific diseases (e.g. rabies) for fear of the inevitable species-wank that will come crashing down. I would also not call it "pet passport": though the idea is worthy of international attention, it sounds like something cutesy and irrelevant.

Could this possibly go in Healthcare?


Category is going to be an interesting one, as it certainly doesn't fall under Political Stability (as SPA does). Agreed re: specific diseases (I was outlining how we do things here.. based on UK policy really), and the name is certainly flexible.

All an idea at present, and I've not got any specific wording in mind yet for how this goes.. but I imagine it to be a relatively succinct proposal?
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:13 am

Aligned Planets wrote:I imagine it to be a relatively succinct proposal?

Famous last words.

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Aligned Planets wrote:I imagine it to be a relatively succinct proposal?

Famous last words.

Given my previous proposal lengths.. very true, haha! I think "verbose" is my middle name.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18548
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 am

Aligned Planets wrote:The main thrust of the agreement would be to have a requirement for all member nations to carry out checks on their borders (Aligned Planets already checks all pets coming into the nation through approved routes). A harmonization of processes between WA member nations would be useful, to streamline alongside travel for persons, and an agreement on quarantine procedures for animals arriving from non-WA member states.

What about cases where particular combinations of geographically-adjacent nations -- for example ones that share an island with each other -- already have comparable standards to each other on the health of domestic animals (including the health of animals being brought into them from nations not within these combinations), and are therefore willing to allow free movement of these animals across their borders with each other?
And hwhat of any nations that choose not to require passports for entry by sapient beings?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:47 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Aligned Planets wrote:The main thrust of the agreement would be to have a requirement for all member nations to carry out checks on their borders (Aligned Planets already checks all pets coming into the nation through approved routes). A harmonization of processes between WA member nations would be useful, to streamline alongside travel for persons, and an agreement on quarantine procedures for animals arriving from non-WA member states.

What about cases where particular combinations of geographically-adjacent nations -- for example ones that share an island with each other -- already have comparable standards to each other on the health of domestic animals (including the health of animals being brought into them from nations not within these combinations), and are therefore willing to allow free movement of these animals across their borders with each other?
And hwhat of any nations that choose not to require passports for entry by sapient beings?


Hmm, you raise a good point. I was going to suggest this could act as a supplement to those reciprocal agreements, but alarm bells began going off in the back of my mind about "optional compliance" rule-breaking. I suppose, in those instances, the resolution would have to offer minimum standards, and such nations as you mention would have to ensure that their national policies / bi-lateral agreements / etc were brought into line with the new minimum standards. Or it could be dealt with through similar wording to the operative MANDATES clause in SPA.
MANDATES that all citizens carry a Passport issued by a relevant nation in which they hold citizenship or other nationality status, when travelling abroad, except where deemed unnecessary through the existence of bilateral and multilateral border control agreement, or when unilaterally declared unnecessary by the receiving nation,


Re: your second point on nations choosing not to require passports, again - this could be covered by a similar clause to the above MANDATES. I believe that the clause in SPA still requires all citizens to actually have a passport, but removes the requirement for the receiving nation to have to process through passport control. I would envisage something similar here.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Jarish Inyo
Diplomat
 
Posts: 981
Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jarish Inyo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:34 pm

What about countries that do not allow pets to be brought into their nations?
Ambassador Nameless
Empire of Jaresh Inyo

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:52 pm

Jarish Inyo wrote:What about countries that do not allow pets to be brought into their nations?

Well, I presume they would be exempt.. just as nations with closed borders to foreign travellers are presumably exempt from SPA?
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Normlpeople
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1597
Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm

OOC: This has to be said... sorry DSR

IC: "So how about sentient species that are considered the dominant race in one nation but would be considered pets in another?"
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:55 am

Normlpeople wrote:OOC: This has to be said... sorry DSR

IC: "So how about sentient species that are considered the dominant race in one nation but would be considered pets in another?"


Haven't the rights of these sentient species, if they are the dominant race (ie I presume citizens) then their rights are covered by CoCR and would require to have a passport under SPA?
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 14402
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:39 am

Aligned Planets wrote:
Normlpeople wrote:OOC: This has to be said... sorry DSR

IC: "So how about sentient species that are considered the dominant race in one nation but would be considered pets in another?"


Haven't the rights of these sentient species, if they are the dominant race (ie I presume citizens) then their rights are covered by CoCR and would require to have a passport under SPA?

"That's how I'd interpret it." Bell piped up, tossing in his G$0.02.

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat,
Authority on All Existence,
Globalist Dog,
Dark Psychic Vampire, and
Chief Populist Elitist!


User avatar
Cardoness
Diplomat
 
Posts: 782
Founded: Sep 13, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cardoness » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:15 pm

I like this idea as well, but agree that it is in need of a new title.
Speaker Andreas, Ambassador to the World Assembly, Founder of the United League of Nations.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:We are firmly against the godless, utopian, progressive overreach that a small number of nations in the World Assembly want to impose upon the multiverse...

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Cardoness wrote:I like this idea as well, but agree that it is in need of a new title.

I've fallen foul of title problems before (remembering our own Plant Protection Products Act draft from ten months ago), and am happy for this to be fully flexible. Alternative ideas welcome.

As said previously, I'm going to try and flesh this out over the weekend.. although my boss has unilaterally decided I need to be in the office tomorrow (and possibly Sunday), so may be delayed. I will start putting something together though.

Further thoughts most welcome!
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Also, new title idea:

Animal Transport Act
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:25 pm

I'm also particularly keen that this proposal should not involve the creation of any new committees or similar, but any necessary regulatory functions could be folded into the GESTAPO given its global perspective.

Unless there are any further comments at this time, I shall begin drafting in the next 24-48 hours.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Aligned Planets wrote:I'm also particularly keen that this proposal should not involve the creation of any new committees or similar, but any necessary regulatory functions could be folded into the GESTAPO given its global perspective.

Unless there are any further comments at this time, I shall begin drafting in the next 24-48 hours.

Why? The expertise involved in formulating passport requirements for people are completely different than those involved in animal health transport. If you for some reason have to use an existing committee, WHA or WASP would be more appropriate.

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:36 pm

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Aligned Planets wrote:Snip.

Happy to do so, I'm not overly fussed where the delegated responsibilities (if any arise) get assigned to. On re-reading the FOUNDS clause:
FOUNDS the Global Emigration, Security, Travel And Passport Organisation.
a) This organisation will establish minimum requirements of details to be included into passports, including but not limited to passport numbers, facial representations of the owner, name, date of birth, validity, and anti-forgery features;
b) Members states are required to abide by these requirements.
I don't think there's anything specific that could prevent GESTAPO from overseeing the enforcement of minimum standards for animal passports. Other functions could be passed to other bodies like WHA etc. My understanding (although this is on a mod ruling to me a few years back - things may have changed) is that the WA committees, panels, boards etc that are created through resolutions continue to exist if the original resolution is repealed, provided there is a subsequent resolution that still requires it's services?
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
The Dark Star Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 4339
Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Aligned Planets wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:

Happy to do so,

Great. And come to think of it, PAWS would be better suited than either WHA or WASP, as it's specifically to do with animals.

User avatar
Argonoby
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Oct 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

A step toward protecting public health

Postby Argonoby » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 pm

These measures outlined in the Animal Transport Act seem to be a great method in cracking down on disease and maintaining health within a country who so chooses to enact said law. That being said the Nation of Argonoby is behind this act assuming it doesn't contain any questionable sub-context. Assuming the cost will fall onto the owner to ensure that there animal is up to date with vaccination what is in place to prevent those wish to counterfeit these "passports" in order to get around the law. We all know that people don't always agree that large pharmaceutical companies injecting there animals with an unknown chemical into there loved one (there pets) since people still refuse to get there children vaccinated under the concept of it possibly not being safe and a large sum of people view there pets as more then just pets.

Will there be a prosecution to those caught attempting to enter the country with a unregistered and vaccinated animal? Will we go after the animal owner themselves or the person who's generating the false documents?

User avatar
Bears Armed
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 18548
Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:23 am

Applies to "pets".
Does not apply to animals being transported for food.

What about other cases: 'food' animals being transported for reasons other than prompt slaughter, racehorses, other 'working' animals, circus animals, imports for breeding programmes or zoos, etc... ?
The Confederated Clans of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Our population is approximately 20 million. We do have a national government, although its role is strictly limited. Economy = thriving. Those aren't "biker gangs", they're our traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies'... and are generally respected, not feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152.

User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:27 am

Bears Armed wrote:Applies to "pets".
Does not apply to animals being transported for food.

What about other cases: 'food' animals being transported for reasons other than prompt slaughter, racehorses, other 'working' animals, circus animals, imports for breeding programmes or zoos, etc... ?

I think, for ease of not poking a viper's nest, I'm going to have this target the transport of animals for non-commercial purposes only.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat
 
Posts: 14402
Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Aligned Planets wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Applies to "pets".
Does not apply to animals being transported for food.

What about other cases: 'food' animals being transported for reasons other than prompt slaughter, racehorses, other 'working' animals, circus animals, imports for breeding programmes or zoos, etc... ?

I think, for ease of not poking a viper's nest, I'm going to have this target the transport of animals for non-commercial purposes only.


"So, no breeder cats and dogs allowed, then?"

His Worshipfulness Lord GA Secretariat,
Authority on All Existence,
Globalist Dog,
Dark Psychic Vampire, and
Chief Populist Elitist!


User avatar
Aligned Planets
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Aligned Planets wrote:I think, for ease of not poking a viper's nest, I'm going to have this target the transport of animals for non-commercial purposes only.


"So, no breeder cats and dogs allowed, then?"

Breeder animals would be covered by this proposal for transit, provided said animal was accompanying its owner as a pet only, and not for commercial breeding purposes. As in, the animal would in essence be a private pet on this journey, and would not be discriminated against because of a commercial aspect, just as a dog that performed in a circus could travel with its owner provided it was as a pet, and not to be "working". Obviously, any breach of this would be down to individual member states to enforce, or not, as they saw fit.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.


Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

User avatar
Chester Pearson
Minister
 
Posts: 2753
Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Aligned Planets wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:
"So, no breeder cats and dogs allowed, then?"

Breeder animals would be covered by this proposal for transit, provided said animal was accompanying its owner as a pet only, and not for commercial breeding purposes. As in, the animal would in essence be a private pet on this journey, and would not be discriminated against because of a commercial aspect, just as a dog that performed in a circus could travel with its owner provided it was as a pet, and not to be "working". Obviously, any breach of this would be down to individual member states to enforce, or not, as they saw fit.


I am still failing to comprehend why the World Assembly would concern itself with house pets? I will admit the idea is creative, and I do like some creativity.....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads