NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] WA Numeration and Units Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Do you agree or disagree with all that this resolution entails?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:26 am

I agree, a nation should have the freedom to choose its own unit or numeral system.
27%
I also agree, there should be some internationally recognized unit or numeral system.
26%
Hehehe, yes, and think of all the things I could rhyme IMI with? (A Mean Old Man option)
10%
I agree with all of this resolution's entrails, the intestines never lie! (Hepatomancy option)
9%
I flipped a coin, and it happened to agree with this resolution. (Unibot option)
8%
How enormous is this 'registry' going to be? Big books are awesome.
11%
I'd just like to replace the "k" with a good ol' wholesome "b" in the latter option. (Immature option).
8%

Total votes : 183

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] WA Numeration and Units Act

Postby Unibot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:48 pm

FAQ on "WA Numeration and Units Act"

Q:

So what does this actually do?

A:

It protects the freedom of nations and ambassadors to use whatever units of measurements (for example, metric, imperial.. ect.) or numeral system (yes, not everyone uses “1..2..3”).
• It indexes all of these units and numeral systems, and their conversions – a service which is not yet offered by an international entity of the World Assembly’s size.
• It creates a non-binding, politically neutral, efficient system of units and numerals to use for international affairs if nations choose to use them…which will be particularly helpful in circumstances when rounding based errors are unacceptable.

Q:

A notable national federalist and staunch metric supporter screams from afar, “Why would we want to do that!?”

A:

If for example, the World Assembly was to mandate a universal system of measurement like the Metric System as the United Nations did with “NSUN #24”, it would interrupt trade as non-member nations are not obligated to use the metric system whereas member nations are, and this could lead to complications or avoidance of member nations for trading partners.
• It later took three repeal attempts before that infernal wreck (NSUN #24) was repealed and crucified – my heart goes out to those who were involved in the process. Clearly a blocker to prevent such a tragedy from being adopted by the WA in the future would be desirable.
• Citizens are also attached to their units of measurements as if a cultural item... thus we wouldn’t want to see a nation leave the WA on the account of something small like units of measurements -- which would effectively waste all of the resolutions adopted by the WA including the prevention of genocide, forced disappearances and biological weapons proliferation.

The units of measurement and numeral system may be more advanced in a nation more so even than the metric system for example, giving said nations a good reason to oppose such legislation.

Q:

A notable national sovereignist and staunch customary-units supporter screams from afar, “But these ‘IMI Units’ why do we want those then?”

A:

Good question, there are applications where conversions between measurements will lead to unacceptable rounding errors... such as international missile defense systems or stock exchanges. This resolution creates the units, and an oversight committee, but only ‘encourages’ their usage ‘whenever standardization for extreme mathematical accuracy is necessary in international proceedings’.

Resolution Text

WA Numeration and Units Act
Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Cultural Heritage | Quickly Proposed by Unibot

The General Assembly,

COGNIZANT of the various units of measurement which nations use for a plenitude of reasons, and the attachment that a citizen generally has for their units of measurement or numeral system,

REALIZING that WA member nations' trade need not be conducted exclusively with other WA members, and thus an enforced unit of measurements for the sake of harmonization among member nations could disrupt trade between member nations and non-compliant, non-WA-members,

HAVING ASCERTAINED that it would be poignant, and a dissipation of the General Assembly's influence, for a nation to compromise their membership with the World Assembly to avoid the enforced usage of a foreign unit of measurement or numeral system,

HEREBY:

1. AFFIRMS that Member Nations are at liberty:
(a) To declare any variation of a mathematical unit as their official unit of their nation for whatever application;
(b) To declare any variation of numeration or mathematical notation as the official numeral system of their nation for whatever application;

2. FURTHER AFFIRMS that diplomats, ambassadors and any other international official have the freedom:
(a) To use any variation of a mathematical unit they wish to, for whatever application they choose to use it for (including for the purposes of WA documentation);
(b) To use any variation of numeration or mathematical notation they wish to, for whatever application they choose to use it for (including for the purposes of WA documentation);

3. ENABLES member nations with the freedom to determine if they shall prohibit their private enterprises or any non-plenipotentiary citizens of their nation from using any units of measurement or variations of numeration or mathematical notation;

4. ESTABLISHES the International Measurements Institute (IMI) to:
(a) Tabulate all of the units of measurements and numeration used by WA nations with a well maintained, and publicly-viewable registry;
(b) Devise (if not properly devised already) and publicly disclose the arithmetical methods of conversion for all the documented units of measurements and numeration which are mathematically possible to convert;

HAVING FURTHER ASCERTAINED that the conversion of values between systems will likely have undesirable rounding-based errors from arithmetical processes,

5. DEMANDS that the IMI shall devise (if not already devised) an effective, neutral and mathematically intuitive unit of measurement for any application of mathematics that can be considered as needing its own quantitative unit using a numeral system that has been devised (or chosen) by the IMI for its precision, neutrality and intuitiveness;

6. REQUIRES the tabulation and the publication of a comprehensive document to describe:
(a) The aforementioned units of measurement which shall be henceforth referred to as "IMI Units";
(b) The numeral system which IMI units utilize;
(c) Any standards that have been conceived by the IMI for the purposes of efficiency and standardization;

7. DECLARES that it is the right and the duty of the IMI to solve any disputes over proper conventions, standards, or newly discovered applications, which require the creation or the revision of a unit of measurement or its standards;

8. ENCOURAGES nations to use IMI units whenever standardization for extreme mathematical accuracy is necessary in international proceedings.

BAM!!
BAM!!!
Last edited by Flibbleites on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 43 times in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Not bad.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Priatha
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Priatha » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Wholeheartedly supported.
Signed,
Ashar y-Malek of Pranath
First Ambassador of Priatha

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:41 pm

We could support this.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Nice!
OOC puppet of Yelda

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 am

Unibot wrote:3. ESTABLISHES the World Assembly Unit of Measurements Authority (WAUMA) to:
(a) Tabulate all of the units of measurements and numeration used by WA nations with a well maintained, and publicly-viewable registrar;
(b) Devise (if not properly devised already) and publicly disclose the arithmetical methods of conversion for all the documented units of measurements and numeration which are mathematically possible to convert;

Honoured ambassador, you might as well leave it to us to build the database...

Just kidding. We find this very fresh, although since WA resolutions are taken seriously, there's no need for a committee.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:27 am

It looks great.
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:48 am

We have one question. If we were to use the WAUMA in a resolution, how could we refer to it? 10 WAUMA units, for example?
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 am

This is the best measurements legislation I have seen written. I could support this.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:We have one question. If we were to use the WAUMA in a resolution, how could we refer to it? 10 WAUMA units, for example?

Honoured ambassador to Buffett and Colbert and Unibot, there is no need for a committee. The protections are operatives anyway. It should be up to the universities around the world to research into that.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:42 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:We have one question. If we were to use the WAUMA in a resolution, how could we refer to it? 10 WAUMA units, for example?

Your Honor, I am not-Unibot, but I think it could be "10 WAUMA lenght units" or luminosity, noise, radiation, etc.

I am amazed by the air-tightedness (ah, if only every author had the wisdom to use Committees for definitions...), flexibility, and the overall avoidance of the aeons-old controversy on Metric System x bizarre systems. This is a complete moral, aesthetic and technical win. Win as in Win/Win, for everybody.

Will be more than pleased to lend my Delegate approval and to actively campaign for it, once all the details are polished.

Yours truly,
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 am

Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Your Honor, I am not-Unibot, but I think it could be "10 WAUMA lenght units" or luminosity, noise, radiation, etc.

I am amazed by the air-tightedness (ah, if only every author had the wisdom to use Committees for definitions...), flexibility, and the overall avoidance of the aeons-old controversy on Metric System x bizarre systems. This is a complete moral, aesthetic and technical win. Win as in Win/Win, for everybody.

Will be more than pleased to lend my Delegate approval and to actively campaign for it, once all the details are polished.

Yours truly,

We believe you both have it backwards. This legislation does not appear to set up any measurement units. It sets up a data base for conversion of already existing units to each other, although in all honesty I am near certain that such conversion charts most likely already exist. WAUMA is the authority which compiles and tabulates the measurements, not a measurement unit of its own.

Not Ta'veren

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:51 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
Sionis Prioratus wrote:

Yours truly,

We believe you both have it backwards. This legislation does not appear to set up any measurement units. It sets up a data base for conversion of already existing units to each other, although in all honesty I am near certain that such conversion charts most likely already exist. WAUMA is the authority which compiles and tabulates the measurements, not a measurement unit of its own.

^^this

Grays Harbor has it correct, though I also had the idea to just ask a committee to create the units, I figured I would let some other resolution do that (and yes even if this adopted, a further resolution to create an optional, scientific unit for trade purposes would be legal -- I think).

This proposal essentially protects the World Assembly against any legislation attempting to mandate universal acceptance of the Metric system for example -- and gives diplomats the freedom to use what unit or numeral system they wish to... so even though for example a Unibotian is mandated to use the Untobicial system of numeration, a diplomat has the freedom to use the metric system for WA purposes or diplomatic reasons. (I believe at least one resolution, the 'law of the seas' one refers to kilometers).

I'm Canadian, OOC, and a stern believer in the Metric system, but I don't see a place mandating any national official units and numeration in the WA.
Last edited by Unibot on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:00 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Unibot wrote:3. ESTABLISHES the World Assembly Unit of Measurements Authority (WAUMA) to:
(a) Tabulate all of the units of measurements and numeration used by WA nations with a well maintained, and publicly-viewable registrar;

Honoured ambassador, you might as well leave it to us to build the database...

Just kidding. We find this very fresh, although since WA resolutions are taken seriously, there's no need for a committee.

Scholars might have already found the conversions, but I see a need for tabulating and recording them for public view just to cover my bases with the resolution.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 pm

It would be worth giving it a simpler name: International Measurements Institute (IMI),

Submitted for consideration,

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Does this actually do anything other than create a committee?
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:It would be worth giving it a simpler name: International Measurements Institute (IMI),

Submitted for consideration,

Yep, the last name was getting misinterpreted too much. I've changed it to your specifications.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Enn wrote:Does this actually do anything other than create a committee?

It's a bit like NAPA, although there should be some clause that is clearly functional and operative, without the committee being involved, which would increase confidence. Being a positive speaking resolution, AFFIRMS and DECLARES are good clear operatives.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

It's a bit like NAPA, although there should be some clause that is clearly functional and operative, without the committee being involved, which would increase confidence. Being a positive speaking resolution, AFFIRMS and DECLARES are good clear operatives.

Alas, you have found my inspiration for the resolution, that and the dozens of 'international WA units' proposals I've seen.

I will consider new operative phrases. Thank you, ambassador.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Well, indeed misunderstand it I did. My fault.

In my previous faulty understanding, this had far more relevance.

Conversion of values between systems have the rounding-based errors multiplied on each conversion. A neutral, international unit, should be available to those who want error-free standardization, and for the WA institutions.

I retract therefore my earlier statements.
Cathérine Victoire de Saint-Clair
Haute Ambassadrice for the WA for
✡ The Jewish Kingdom of Sionis Prioratus
Daughter of The Late King Adrian the First
In the Name of
Sa Majesté Impériale Dagobert VI de Saint-Clair
A simple truth

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:Well, indeed misunderstand it I did. My fault.

Conversion of values between systems have the rounding-based errors multiplied on each conversion. A neutral, international unit, should be available to those who want error-free standardization, and for the WA institutions.

Perhaps not everybody requires mindless homogenization of everything or mandated units of measure.

Not Ta'veren

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:09 pm

A neutral, international unit could be provided for those available who do want error-free standardization.

Okay, I'll include in the document the creation of a standardized and effective WA unit of measurements, but only for those who wish to apply or use it.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:40 pm

The proposal just gained a considered amount of volume to compliment these ideals, so please examine it.

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:

That's exactly the sequence I went through on first reading it. Yes, do beef up those operatives. MANDATES is always a solid performer.

Haven't applied my Violation Seeker to this in detail yet, but have to say, lookin' good.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:06 pm

I 'beefed' those first two protective clauses with Mandates, as you suggested, Ard. Thanks.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives