NATION

PASSWORD

Repeal Copyright law?

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Repeal Copyright law?

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 pm

Came upon this proposed repeal, and I had to wonder to myself...Why?

Repeal "WA Copyright Charter"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation

Category: Repeal
Resolution: GA#61
Proposed by: Yoni Smash

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #61: WA Copyright Charter (Category: Education and Creativity; Area of Effect: Artistic) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: Recognizing that copyright laws grant a monopoly over an item to its creator;

Whereas, Monopolies are bad for Economic health and Freedom;

Whereas, Nations should decide for themselves whether or not to protect Copyright laws;

Whereas, Copyrights impede innovation and creativity;

The WA Copyright Charter should be repealed.

I am curious to what the reasoning is that copyright laws impede innovation, and are bad for an economy? How are they against freedom? Why should an author not have the rights to his or her own work? How the proposer came to the conclusion that a copyright is equal to a corporate monopoly? Why is the repeal so vague?
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 am

The honoured ambassador has been wondering about this repeal: there is no evidence to support the fact that copyrights mean big money: in fact most copyright holders in our country are happy to grant permission for personal, fair and/or educational use just as it had been prior to this act. In fact, fair use is protected under the resolution.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:19 pm

OOC: Also, the WA Copyright Charter doesn't 'meddle' with national copyright laws, with the only real copyright law mandate being the duration. It mainly says that those laws apply on an international scale, as well. More nuanced descriptions are found in the resolution's forum topic.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to General Assembly