NATION

PASSWORD

The World Assembly Academy Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 am

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:
A mean old man wrote:
- charge admission fees of any kind to any student,

That's my biggest problem with this.

EDIT: Noticed a few other things.

-provide free food and board for every student, and to pay for any other living or educational expense a student faces, including books, and supplies for his or her studies,

AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Yeah, the student's family should be assessed on their ability to pay. The poorest students could be admitted free, but then there should be a scale for determining fees based on family income.

-create an educational setting for students,

Vague. Not sure what purpose this clause serves. You might just want to get rid of it.

True. If it's a school I would hope that it would create an educational setting. This can be dropped.

Would it not be economic discrimination to charge richer income families, but not poorer income families?

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:53 am

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:
Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:
A mean old man wrote:
- charge admission fees of any kind to any student,

That's my biggest problem with this.

EDIT: Noticed a few other things.

-provide free food and board for every student, and to pay for any other living or educational expense a student faces, including books, and supplies for his or her studies,

AAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Yeah, the student's family should be assessed on their ability to pay. The poorest students could be admitted free, but then there should be a scale for determining fees based on family income.

-create an educational setting for students,

Vague. Not sure what purpose this clause serves. You might just want to get rid of it.

True. If it's a school I would hope that it would create an educational setting. This can be dropped.

Would it not be economic discrimination to charge richer income families, but not poorer income families?

Would it not be a fucking ridiculous idea to pay all the expenses for all these students while they attend this school, even if it is through the "WA General Fund" (provided by all our nations anyway)? Sometimes what you call "economic discrimination" is necessary for economic stability, Unibot. I don't care if it has the word "discrimination" in it.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:55 am

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:Would it not be economic discrimination to charge richer income families, but not poorer income families?

Happens all the time in RL. Why should people who could afford the tuition go to school for free on the WA General Fund's tab?
OOC puppet of Yelda

Priatha
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Priatha » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:59 am

Perhaps a resolution would be a tuition with gratuitous financial aid for those who cannot afford it? The aid, of course, would be evaluated based on how much the family can reasonable afford, and would be taken from the GA fund.
Signed,
Ashar y-Malek of Pranath
First Ambassador of Priatha

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:04 pm

I feel like the preamble could be shorter, and terser, and address problems more direct to what this resolution is going to solve. The World Assembly has only previously mandated that nations need a nation curriculum 'based on its own needs and future goals', therefore the poorest and deprived citizens -- who that proposal was created to protect -- are left with a measly education on how to dig trenches and work for the rest of their lives with hard labor. The "Right to Education" states that when no formal government funded educational system exists, Member States must allow its citizens to pursue their education abroad. This proposal exists to provide an education left to those left by their nations to pursue education abroad.

I would also recommend you become familiar with GA#8. In that legislation using careful language, the World Assembly purchased neutral land, built a headquarters on it, and protects it with the necessary security (without conflicting with the 'no WA army' rule). You'll probably be doing something similar with these academies -- also, keep in mind that some ambassadors are going to be frightened of the World Assembly educating children ... I mean, I can only imagine what Gatesville's reaction will be when they read this proposal. It might also be worth noting that these World Assembly Academies are a good way to entice cute little banana republics and our usual third-world education authoritarian offenders to create quality education programs in their nations to prevent students from going abroad, and being educated by 'outsiders' on 'world issues'.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:
Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:Would it not be economic discrimination to charge richer income families, but not poorer income families?

Happens all the time in RL. Why should people who could afford the tuition go to school for free on the WA General Fund's tab?

I dunno, talk to Urgench, who wrote the CoCR.

c ) All inhabitants of member states have the right not to be and indeed must not be discriminated against on grounds including ... economic or cultural background

a ) Unfair and unreasonable discrimination, on the grounds outlined in clause c) of article 1 of this resolution, in private employment, housing, education, employment benefits, compensations and access to services provided to the general public shall be prohibited by all member states.

I don't think its unfair that those who can afford it should not be given funds to do so, but it could be interpreted that way.
Last edited by Unibotian WASC Mission on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Priatha wrote:Perhaps a resolution would be a tuition with gratuitous financial aid for those who cannot afford it? The aid, of course, would be evaluated based on how much the family can reasonable afford, and would be taken from the GA fund.

Yeah, something like financial aid or a sliding scale for determining ability to pay. If the family literally can't afford to pay anything then the student would attend for free. If they can pay some percentage of the tuition then they would pay that. If they can afford to pay full tuition then they would pay full tuition. And so forth.
OOC puppet of Yelda

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:26 pm

This is the first time I've really noticed the existence of the WA General Fund, and I've realized I don't like it at all.
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:38 pm

A mean old man wrote:This is the first time I've really noticed the existence of the WA General Fund, and I've realized I don't like it at all.

A funding mechanism is necessary. Before WA General Fund you either had to pretend that the funds to pay for something just magically appeared out of thin air, or pass an unfunded mandate on to the member states.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:52 pm

A mean old man wrote:This is the first time I've really noticed the existence of the WA General Fund, and I've realized I don't like it at all.

It's an OOC justification for IC actions. Much like the HQ act. Through the years (at the UN mostly) we gradually determined a lot of things about UN/WA RP which could do with IC justification.

And UNibot: CoCR looks at member states. It could be argued that it doesn't cover the WA itself. (I'm not necessarily saying that's what I believe, merely that that is a possible argument).
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Enn wrote:

It's an OOC justification for IC actions. Much like the HQ act. Through the years (at the UN mostly) we gradually determined a lot of things about UN/WA RP which could do with IC justification.

And UNibot: CoCR looks at member states. It could be argued that it doesn't cover the WA itself. (I'm not necessarily saying that's what I believe, merely that that is a possible argument).

*glances at the CoCR*

CoCR wrote:The World Assembly,

Requires W.A. member states to fairly and equally enact and enforce the following articles,

Article 1.

Yikes! You're right, Enn. Um... thats a bit of a problem, isn't it? :unsure:

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Unibot wrote:
Enn wrote:

*glances at the CoCR*

CoCR wrote:The World Assembly,

Requires W.A. member states to fairly and equally enact and enforce the following articles,

Article 1.

Yikes! You're right, Enn. Um... thats a bit of a problem, isn't it? :unsure:

What, that the WA isn't bound by one of its own resolutions? You didn't think we'd make all of these things apply to ourselves did you? :rofl:
Last edited by Mad Sheep Railgun on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Well, MSR, let me direct you once again to the nature and purpose of this thread > viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30186

Which everyone seemed intent on dismissing.

Mad Sheep Railgun
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mad Sheep Railgun » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Unibot wrote:Well, MSR, let me direct you once again to the nature and purpose of this thread > viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30186

Well that's a little different. The "no WA army" rule is a rule, not a resolution.
OOC puppet of Yelda

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Mad Sheep Railgun wrote:
Unibot wrote:Well, MSR, let me direct you once again to the nature and purpose of this thread > viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30186

Well that's a little different. The "no WA army" rule is a rule, not a resolution.

You don't need to be an army to arms deal, or deploy nuclear weapons for purely 'administrative purposes'.

[/threadjack]

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:39 pm

You know, I'm really not sure what I trust the gnomes with less - nukes, or students. And just imagine what Gratwick would do with students in every WA nation...
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Okay ambassadors, I have returned.

As far as concerns that the WA should not be trusted with students/children, we'll see about that if I ever fix this proposal up enough to submit. There is really no way to revise this to address that, so I am not going to worry about it.

Whether or not to charge tuition and to whom to charge it is a valid question, one I thought much about. Originally when I wrote this the higher income families did have to pay for their children to attend. My main concern with that would be parents who are unwilling to pay even though they could easily afford it (cheap bastards).

As of now, am I correct in saying that we all agree that lower income families should not be charged? So, then what I need to re-examine would be if higher income families should pay, and if so how much? I'll return shortly ambassadors with an attempted solution.

And Uni, I'm not sure which of the 5 points in the preamble I do not need. I'll edit that line about the educational environment too. Thanks.

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Establishes the World Assembly Academy Bureau (WAAB) which shall be responsible for:
-constructing academies in strategic locations spread throughout the world financed by the WA General Fund,
-ensuring enough World Assembly Academies are constructed to prevent a youth who has taken the exam and met the qualifications to attend a World Assembly Academy being turned away because the academies are at their capacity,

House of Cards. You don't need to indicate how they will be financed; funding is automatic.

Hmm. Okay, tried to fix that too. The ambassadors were very concerned that their own nations would have to pay, so I've taken out General Fund and just left 'financed by the World Assembly'. Does that make it legal?

[float=right]Image[/float]Signed,
Ambassador Franke
Topid's Ambassador to the General Assembly

EDIT: Ambassadors, please check the proposal and notice the revisions.
Last edited by Topid on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Topid wrote:
Establishes the World Assembly Academy Bureau (WAAB) which shall be responsible for:
-constructing academies in strategic locations spread throughout the world financed by the WA General Fund,
-ensuring enough World Assembly Academies are constructed to prevent a youth who has taken the exam and met the qualifications to attend a World Assembly Academy being turned away because the academies are at their capacity,

House of Cards. You don't need to indicate how they will be financed; funding is automatic.

Hmm. Okay, tried to fix that too. The ambassadors were very concerned that their own nations would have to pay, so I've taken out General Fund and just left 'financed by the World Assembly'. Does that make it legal?

Probably. I don't think there's been an "official" ruling as to whether citing the General Fund is House of Cards, but it's just to be on the safe side in case the WAGF is ever repealed.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Topid wrote:

Probably. I don't think there's been an "official" ruling as to whether citing the General Fund is House of Cards, but it's just to be on the safe side in case the WAGF is ever repealed.

Well wasn't there something about "semi-activity"? Well, you brought it to my attention, Kenny. So, you'd know better than me. :D

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:19 pm

That's for committees. The GF itself isn't a committee (though it's managed by one), so I'm not sure what comes of it after the resolution is repealed. It'll be a moderator's call if it ever comes to that.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

West Newmanistan
Attaché

Founded: Jan 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Newmanistan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 am

Topid wrote:
TROUBLED by the tendency of nations to cut education in times of crisis, when higher education is likely the easiest way to solve the problems of a nation;

I didn't bother to read any further. You lost me here as that is a very debatable statement.
WA Delegate of One Big Island, a region where resolutions are read in full and thought about before we vote.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:19 am

West Newmanistan wrote:
Topid wrote:
TROUBLED by the tendency of nations to cut education in times of crisis, when higher education is likely the easiest way to solve the problems of a nation;

I didn't bother to read any further. You lost me here as that is a very debatable statement.

Not just debatable, downright disingenuous, and without a shred of proof offered other than the assertation that it is "fact".
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:39 am

Demands All Member Nations to:
-ensure the security of their nation’s academy, and its students and faculties,

How? Not all nations can afford to allocate security forces and funds to an academy established arbitrarily by an extra-national entity. "Ensure safety" is a tough thing to mandate, too, as nothing can ensure safety. An earthquake can strike at any time, a plan could crash into it, a train could derail spilling chemicals nearby, etc. I prefer that WA resolutions don't demand the impossible.

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005

Postby The Palentine » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:14 am

Serrland wrote:
Demands All Member Nations to:
-ensure the security of their nation’s academy, and its students and faculties,

How? Not all nations can afford to allocate security forces and funds to an academy established arbitrarily by an extra-national entity. "Ensure safety" is a tough thing to mandate, too, as nothing can ensure safety. An earthquake can strike at any time, a plan could crash into it, a train could derail spilling chemicals nearby, etc. I prefer that WA resolutions don't demand the impossible.

The good but unwholesome senator is sitting at his desk, smoking a fine Yeldan Cigar, and sipping Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Of course that is a normal pastime for the degenerate reprobate. He is also field stripping and cleaning his Colt 1911a Goverment Model pistol. Pauasing from his labors, he speaks in his microphone,

"The best way to ensure one's personal safety is to rely on oneself. That's why most Palentine citizens carry handguns. Very simple, and cheaper than using The Palentine Marine Corps to provide security." :)

*Resumes his labors, and quietly hums the Marine Corps Hymn*
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 am

Ambassador Franke,

What about nations that espouse a secular education system? Will the WA schools in those nations also teach the same secular curriculum?

I'm very leery about us going into the full time education business, perhaps it would be better to try and develop a problem school program where the WA can help schools or districts in member nations that are in trouble get back on to more stable footing?

Nigel S Youlkin
WA Ambassador - USP
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly