NATION

PASSWORD

Proposal: Natural Resource Protection Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Norlosia
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Proposal: Natural Resource Protection Act

Postby Norlosia » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:59 am

Read the Proposal at the Bottom!!
Last edited by Norlosia on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And there's nothing wrong with me,
This is how I'm supposed to be,
In a land of make believe,
You don't believe in me.

My NSWiki Page

Eternal Life with God
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Eternal Life with God » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:12 am

Norlosia wrote:The Natural Resource Protection Act

as proposed by Norlosia

Category: Environmental

Strength: Signifigant

Industries Affected: Resource-Oriented

Description: The World Assembly,

NOTING the lack of an official definition of renewable and non-renewable resources,

RECOGNIZING the limitations and renewability of Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources,

DEFINES the types of resources as;
Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself in the span of a human lifetime (i.e. Trees, Crops, Air, Water)
Non-Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself over a long geological period (i.e. Fossil Fuels [oil, coal], Minerals),

IMPOSES a tax rate of 30% industries that collect Non-Renewable resources based on their profits,

MANDATES the use of Renewable resources by progressively cutting global usage by 3% every year, also forcing Industry to conserve and protect,

IMPLORES the WAEC to follow and enforce the new Natural Resource Protection Act on so effected Industry,

HEREBY passes the Natural Resource Protection Act.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ammended.

This is my first Proposal, but it is a stong topic which probably needs more depth, formatting, ect. Comment and edit!!
Last edited by Eternal Life with God on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6
Economic Left/Right: 4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56

“God became man so that man might become God.”
-St.Augustine of Hippo

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:57 am

I don't have time to read through this right now (and probably personally won't have much to add, am very much out of my depth on this topic) but I would just like to thank you for posting this here, first, before submission.
It speaks volumes about how you view the GA that you are willing to have your idea gone over with fine-toothed combs, rather than simply flinging it into the proposal queue.
I'm not going to promise that the various people here will like your proposal, (some of them may well hate it), but I'm sure they will appreciate your willingness to have it critiqued.
Welcome to the GA!
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

Tkdkidsx2
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tkdkidsx2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:04 am

"While this is generally a good idea, it would seriously damage corporations whom base their entire earning upon the sale of nonrenewable resources. Were this to come to debate, the Union would be undecided.
Riaka wrote:Son, you've just entered the exciting and frightening world of religious debate. It's much like a roller coaster, in the sense that in the next few minutes there are going to many twists and turns, potential vertical inversion, a lot of crying children and someone's probably going to throw up at the end.

Wilgrove wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:Texas school book repositories are dangerous places.

JFK can attest to that! *nods*

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:21 am

I do believe that the generally accepted definition of Renewable resource is one that can be renewed as fast as it is used, not merely in the space of a human lifetime. How does one define a human lifetime, exactly?

That being said I feel I must oppose this resolution for other reasons. But also, another amendment, would it not be sensible for the tax collected from the Non-renewable resource use to be placed into a fund for the cutting of non-renewable resource usage?
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 am

South Norwega wrote:I do believe that the generally accepted definition of Renewable resource is one that can be renewed as fast as it is used, not merely in the space of a human lifetime. How does one define a human lifetime, exactly?

Wood and trees are generally considered a renewable resource; should you have some which grow as fast as they are used, we would like examples of them please.

--------------------------

We oppose this draft proposal on several grounds, the first being the mandated tax. We also oppose this as we do not require the WA to mandate which of our resources we may use and in what percentage. Unlike the proposer, it seems, our nation does not require that an international body such as the WA hold our hand and treat us like a child, telling us what we can and cannot do for our own good as concerns our natural resources.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:00 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
South Norwega wrote:I do believe that the generally accepted definition of Renewable resource is one that can be renewed as fast as it is used, not merely in the space of a human lifetime. How does one define a human lifetime, exactly?

Wood and trees are generally considered a renewable resource; should you have some which grow as fast as they are used, we would like examples of them please.

Wood and trees generally are considered renewable resources, if they are harvested in a sustainable manner. If you just hack down trees and don't plant some in their place, that's not sustainable. But if you harvest trees in a sustainable manner, then they become a renewable resource. They aren't automatically considered renewable resources.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:44 am

"Non renewable resources would nclude, gold, silver, lead, platinum, copper and any other ore or element. You hve just killed the jewelry, the medical, the areospace, the defence, and construction industries, not to mention every other industry that uses any and all ores, mineral, elements..."

MANDATES Non-renewable resource by progressively cutting global usage by 5% every year, forcing Industry to conserve the property of all peoples,

MANDATES Renewable resource by progressively cutting global usage by 3% every year, also forcing Industry to conserve and protect,

"Yep only fast growing weeds will be useable to make your planes, trains and automobiles, as well as pacemakers, MRI's, guns, tv's, ipods...but hey thats cool thu damned luddites can make books, ones that disentigrate almost before you can finish reading them!"

The UnDelegate shook his head over the sheer bloody stupidity of the so called resolution.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Reporter: Ambassador Melican, and the nation he represents, Arkinesia, are both well-known for disputing environmental issues. It would be interesting to see what Ambassador Melican has to say. Let's listen.

As you all know quite well, we Arkinesian WA ambassadors are loud and noisy with environmental resolutions. This shall be no exception, mind you!

First, I shall state the proposal, with grammar fixes, in its text body.

Proposal wrote:RECOGNIZING the limitations and renewability of Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources,

Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself in the span of a human lifetime (i.e. Trees, Crops, Air, Water)
Non-Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself over a long geological period (i.e. Fossil Fuels [oil, coal], Minerals),

COMMENDS the World Assembly Environmental Council in their work with Natural Resources,

REALIZES the lack of a Natural Resource Protection Act,

ESTABLISHES the Natural Resource Protection Act,

IMPOSES a hefty taxation of industries that collect Non-Renewable resources,

MANDATES Non-renewable resource by progressively cutting global usage by 5% every year, forcing Industry to conserve the property of all peoples,

MANDATES Renewable resource by progressively cutting global usage by 3% every year, also forcing Industry to conserve and protect,

IMPLORES the WAEC to follow and enforce the new Natural Resource Protection Act on so effected Industry,

Now, for my dissection of evil.
First Problem wrote:IMPOSES a hefty taxation of industries that collect Non-Renewable resources,

Basically, the people of Arkinesia, as well as the corporate types, hate taxes, with a vengeance. Sure, this would keep heavy polluters from continuing to heavily pollute, but we drive bloody hydrogen cars. That's not very polluting, is it? My point is, not everyone has polluting industries, so for goodness' sake, don't make them up!
Second Problem wrote:MANDATES Non-renewable resource by progressively cutting global usage by 5% every year, forcing Industry to conserve the property of all peoples,

At first, I'm inclined to simply write this all off by saying "this is crap", however, I'll give you a better answer. Putting up overly specific numbers won't make you friends. Just cut the numbers crap and this will be a lot easier on people.
Last edited by Arkinesia on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:07 pm

The Nation of Jeffro Topia could never vote for such an act. One of the main economic foundations of Jeffro Topia is the automobile industry. In which we need tons of raw materials mainly non renewable. A tax on these resources would bankrupt the people of Jeffro Topia, and Jeffro Topia herself. Hence I can not vote for this and urge my fellow member to not vote for this job killing act.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 pm

The honored ambassador to Charlotte Ryberg thinks that in order to achieve a goal of a sustainable environment, it should not all be about taxes and such. Member states would need to find ways to, like, get the automobile industry to evolve so that the cars travel further for one unit of fuel, or to encourage rotational farming so land does not get too unstable to support growth, or even rebates on tools to produce renewable and sustainable electricity. Just some of the ideas here.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:00 am

The WA can not impose any tax on activities within its member nations, owing to earlier legislation.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Norlosia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Norlosia » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:45 pm

The Natural Resource Protection Act

as proposed by Norlosia

Description: The World Assembly hereby;

RECOGNIZES the limitations and renewability of Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources,

Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself in a geographically short period of time, close, if not less than, 100 years (i.e. Trees, Crops, Air, Water)

COMMENDS the World Assembly Environmental Council in their work with Natural Resources,

ESTABLISHES the Natural Resource Protection Act,

PLEADS World Assembly Nations to impose a taxation of industries that collect Non-Renewable resources, and a rebate on Industries that are "green,"

RECOMMENDS that Industry involved with Renewable Resources slow usage so they are consumed at the rate they renew,

MANDATES Non-renewable and Renewable resource usage by progressively cutting global usage every year, forcing Industry to conserve the property of all peoples,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of amendments:

-changed the definition of a Renewable Resource

-added a rebate for green industries

-removed percentage rates

-removed a WA tax, but asked member nations to tax themselves

-combined the "MANDATE" sections

-recommended Industry slow Renewable resource consumption to the rate it renews.

What else do I need to change?
You don't believe in me.

My NSWiki Page

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:00 pm

PLEADS World Assembly Nations to impose a taxation of industries that collect Non-Renewable resources, and a rebate on Industries that are "green,"

The delegate from Serrland has serious reservations about the use of "PLEADS" in a proposal. It makes the WA sound like a beggar or an institution bereft of any real authority.

The National Plastic Plant of Serrland has green trim on its headquarters, does that qualify as an industry that is "green?" A definition of "green" would be benificial here.
Last edited by Serrland on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Norlosia wrote:Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself in a geographically short period of time, close, if not less than, 100 years (i.e. Trees, Crops, Air, Water)

MANDATES Non-renewable and Renewable resource usage by progressively cutting global usage every year, forcing Industry to conserve the property of all peoples,

Okay. I got a serious problem with this. How the heck are we supposed to renew stuff like water and air? Trees and crops, I can see, but water and air? Exactly how the heck are we to cut global usage of water and air as well as would be mandated by this proposal? Tell people to stop drinking and breathing? Just explain it to me.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador

Enn
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Enn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Rutianas wrote:
Norlosia wrote:Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself in a geographically short period of time, close, if not less than, 100 years (i.e. Trees, Crops, Air, Water)

Okay. I got a serious problem with this. How the heck are we supposed to renew stuff like water and air? Trees and crops, I can see, but water and air? Exactly how the heck are we to cut global usage of water and air as well as would be mandated by this proposal? Tell people to stop drinking and breathing? Just explain it to me.

That's nothing. Try telling the Sun to reduce the amount of light it puts out.

Stephanie Fulton, of Enn
I know what gay science is.
Reploid Productions wrote:The World Assembly as a whole terrifies me!
Pythagosaurus wrote:You are seriously deluded about the technical competence of the average human.

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:20 pm

as proposed by Norlosia

Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself in a geographically short period of time, close, if not less than, 100 years (i.e. Trees, Crops, Air, Water)

RECOMMENDS that Industry involved with Renewable Resources slow usage so they are consumed at the rate they renew,

A couple of amendments:

-changed the definition of a Renewable Resource

-recommended Industry slow Renewable resource consumption to the rate it renews.

Irrelevant parts omitted.

From what I am aware, the definition of a renewable resource is a resource that can be renewed as fast as it is used, not one that can be renewed in a certain period of time. This is the widely accepted definition of renewable resources. Human lifetime or 100 years doesn't come into it. Which brings me to my second point which is recommending that Industries use Renewable Resources like they are renewable resources, which, with a proper definition would be unnecessary.

Nuevo Nihongo
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuevo Nihongo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:58 pm

"While oil Might be renewed over a long period of geologic time, how in the hell does one make new minerals? Iron, copper, nickle, tungsten, and so on? No we can not support this silliness"

Norlosia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Norlosia » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:13 pm

Nuevo Nihongo wrote:"While oil Might be renewed over a long period of geologic time, how in the hell does one make new minerals? Iron, copper, nickle, tungsten, and so on? No we can not support this silliness"

Minerals are formed naturally. It's slow, mind you, but it DOES happen. Volcanic eruptions produce new rock, which overgoes change that forms it into new minerals. Sheesh. Pay attention in Science class!

About the definition...I don't believe there is any ONE way I can write it to satisfy everyone....Should I include Inexhaustable for air, water, and solar energy? They don't really fit within the "renewable" resource category.

I'll edit and post.
You don't believe in me.

My NSWiki Page

Norlosia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Norlosia » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:27 pm

The Natural Resource Protection Act

as proposed by Norlosia

Industries Affected: All Industries

RECOGNIZES the limitations and renewability of Renewable and Non-Renewable Resources, and the limitless use of Inexhaustalbe Resources,

Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself at a rate equal to the rate it is being consumed (i.e. Trees, Crops)
Non-Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself over a long geological period (i.e. Fossil Fuels [oil, coal], Minerals)
Inexaustable- a type of resource, living or nonliving, in the environment for which there is a limitless supply (i.e. Air, Water, Solar Energy)

ESTABLISHES the Natural Resource Protection Act, a resolution of the WA to help preserve Natural Resources,

IMPLORES World Assembly Nations to impose a taxation of industries that collect Non-Renewable resources, and a rebate on Industries that are environmentally friendly and take advantage of Renewable or Inexhaustable Resources/Energies,

MANDATES Non-renewable resource usage by progressively cutting global usage every year, forcing Industry to conserve the property of all peoples,

COMMANDS the WAEC to follow and enforce the new Natural Resource Protection Act on so effected Industry,

----------------------------------------------------------------------

More Edits!

-changed air, water, and solar energy into the "inexhaustable" category

-changed the word "green" into a more articulate description

-used stronger words (changed PLEADS to IMPLORE, and the other IMPLORE to COMMANDS)

I don't know, other things have changed. Just read it all. :D
Last edited by Norlosia on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You don't believe in me.

My NSWiki Page

Rutianas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rutianas » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:46 am

Norlosia wrote: Renewable- a type of resource that may renew itself at a rate equal to the rate it is being consumed (i.e. Trees, Crops, Air, Water)

Inexaustable- a type of resource, living or nonliving, in the environment for which there is a limitless supply (i.e. Air, Water, Solar Energy)

Exactly which category is Air and Water in?

As a second thought, there's no way we could ever support this. It could potentially cripple some poor nation's economy to have to reduce the amount that they're using.

On another note, what is with all this conservation and save the planet stuff recently? I mean, we're not even in danger of global catastrophe. Why should planets like ours be subjected to this radical stuff just because one or two planets have problems. Pass your own 'green' laws.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:02 am

as proposed by Norlosia

Stop, Environmental proposals do not have a strength, they affect one of four industries, Automobile Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, Woodchipping or All Industries.

Bob Flibble
WA Representative

Norlosia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Norlosia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:58 pm

"Exactly which category is Air and Water in?

As a second thought, there's no way we could ever support this. It could potentially cripple some poor nation's economy to have to reduce the amount that they're using.

On another note, what is with all this conservation and save the planet stuff recently? I mean, we're not even in danger of global catastrophe. Why should planets like ours be subjected to this radical stuff just because one or two planets have problems. Pass your own 'green' laws.

Paula Jenner, Rutianas Ambassador"

Air and Water are considered inexhaustable resources. They are replenshed at the rate they are used. Plants convert our waste (CO2) into breatheable oxygen. The water cycle replenishes our water supply, as well as sewage systems.

Sorry about the error.
Last edited by Norlosia on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't believe in me.

My NSWiki Page

Norlosia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Norlosia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Bump. I still don't think it's ready for submittal. Did I spell that right? :blink:
You don't believe in me.

My NSWiki Page

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:48 pm

<Deleted.>
Last edited by Burninati0n on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly