NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Freedom of Thought

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

[DRAFT] Freedom of Thought

Postby Applebania » Sat May 17, 2014 3:32 am

Freedom of Thought

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Submitted By: Applebania

The World Assembly:

APPLAUDING the effort this esteemed body has taken to ensure the freedom of expression necessary for worldwide progress,

DISAPPOINTED that the necessary first step to freedom of expression has yet to be protected by the World Assembly, that is, the freedom to hold ideas, no matter how controversial they may be,

APPALLED at the declaration of certain ideas in certain societies as “Thoughtcrime”, that is, ideas declared illegal by the state,

CONCERNED that a minority of nations are developing technology to completely control the minds of citizens, thus making them mere puppets of the state,

WILLING to prevent this heinous violation of sapient rights with extreme prejudice,

HEREBY:

DEFINES “Mind-control device” as a device used to control the mind and thoughts of one or many people,

PROHIBITS the use of Mind-control devices for the purposes of the suppression of free speech/thought by all entities, governmental or non-governmental,

ALLOWS the use of these devices for the purposes of preventing serious crime, such as murder,

OUTLAWS the declaration of ideas/thoughts as illegal or “Thoughtcrime”,

ENSHRINES the right to free thought as one of the, if not the most essential human right,

MANDATES that governments take all measures necessary in order to protect it.

Joshua takes a seat, with the book he has currently reading. The book was titled "1984".
Last edited by Applebania on Sat May 24, 2014 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sat May 17, 2014 6:40 am

My first thought (no pun intended) is whether one can have freedom of expression without freedom of thought.

If all people have the right to express their personal, moral, political, cultural, religious and ideological views freely and openly, without fear of reprisal (GAR #30) - then is it not suggested and implied that their thoughts that lead up to these views are also protected?

For how could one have freedom of expression on a viewpoint if one's thoughts had already been controlled by the state or by non-state actors?

Indeed, I feel that the CONCERNED clause would suggest Member States are acting in contrary to GAR #30, which would be illegal. Further, your BANS clause doesn't make much sense.. are you banning people from declaring their ideas?

I'm not sure this piece of legislation is needed, as it seems to me to already be covered.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."
Don't question the FT of AP.

Jaresh-Inyo | World Assembly Delegate
Laura Roslin | President, United Federation of Aligned Planets

Applebania
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sat May 17, 2014 7:18 am

Aligned Planets wrote:My first thought (no pun intended) is whether one can have freedom of expression without freedom of thought.

If all people have the right to express their personal, moral, political, cultural, religious and ideological views freely and openly, without fear of reprisal (GAR #30) - then is it not suggested and implied that their thoughts that lead up to these views are also protected?

For how could one have freedom of expression on a viewpoint if one's thoughts had already been controlled by the state or by non-state actors?

Indeed, I feel that the CONCERNED clause would suggest Member States are acting in contrary to GAR #30, which would be illegal. Further, your BANS clause doesn't make much sense.. are you banning people from declaring their ideas?

I'm not sure this piece of legislation is needed, as it seems to me to already be covered.

"Your concerns are noted. While this may be considered as duplication by some, I would see differently. GAR #30 only protects the expression of ideas, not having said ideas in the first place. It, as such, can be loopholed."

OOC: How would you alter the BANS clause to make it make more sense? I'll give you co-author credit~~~
AKA Karlsefni

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat May 17, 2014 7:32 am

OOC: Yes, because what Alqania's proposal was really missing was a sensible treatment of mind-control devices.

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 am

Applebania wrote:
Aligned Planets wrote:My first thought (no pun intended) is whether one can have freedom of expression without freedom of thought.

"Your concerns are noted. While this may be considered as duplication by some, I would see differently. GAR #30 only protects the expression of ideas, not having said ideas in the first place. It, as such, can be loopholed."

OOC: How would you alter the BANS clause to make it make more sense? I'll give you co-author credit~~~

I get what you are saying - that the explicit freedom to have thoughts has not been specifically protected - but I don't see how one can express oneself freely and openly if one's thoughts have been pre-controlled by a government or non-government agent.

OOC: Haha thanks for the offer, but the rewording of clauses / suggestion of text isn't worthy (in my opinion) of co-authorship.. I'm happy to help just for the sake of helping. I'd like a couple of others to weigh in on whether freedom of thought is protected by freedom of expression before I get into the nitty-gritty of clause refining, but will have a look again this evening.
What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the United Federation has become the very evil we've been fighting to destroy?
"The 4,427th nation in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced, scoring 266 on the Kurzweil Singularity Index."

Applebania
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sat May 17, 2014 7:46 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: Yes, because what Alqania's proposal was really missing was a sensible treatment of mind-control devices.

OOC: Oops. Will still continue with this, though!
AKA Karlsefni

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat May 17, 2014 9:40 am

Applebania wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:OOC: Yes, because what Alqania's proposal was really missing was a sensible treatment of mind-control devices.

OOC: Oops. Will still continue with this, though!

OOC: If the sane parts of it are duplication/contradiction, the rest of this should go into the joke proposals thread.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

MRWOFFLE
Attaché

Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby MRWOFFLE » Sat May 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Perhaps, if you're still going through with this, add a clause that bans brain washing also. It'll wipe ideas, preventing expression of ideas, but isn't necessarily controlling the mind. Perhaps instead of using the word control in:
DEFINES “Mind-control device” as a device used to control the mind and thoughts of one or many people

you can change control to alter, control, or confuse. so instead of that, you'll have
DEFINES "Mind-control device" as a device used to alter, control or confuse the mind and thoughts of one or many people

The Republic of MRWOFFLE agrees with the terms of this proposal and sees brain control as wrong. This proposal has support of our nation as long as it does not prevent from our citizens thoughts to be monitored. We will make no attempt to use any sorts of mind controlling devices, although we will continue to monitor them.
STAMP OF APPROVAL:
Last edited by MRWOFFLE on Sat May 17, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damanucus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Damanucus » Sat May 17, 2014 7:57 pm

[sighs] This seemed like it would be a good proposal, then you added "mind-control device" to the proposal. And I was gone. I'm sorry, I cannot, for the life in me, take this seriously.

Stephanie Orman
Representative, Nomadic Peoples of Damanucus

MRWOFFLE
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby MRWOFFLE » Sat May 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Damanucus wrote:[sighs] This seemed like it would be a good proposal, then you added "mind-control device" to the proposal. And I was gone. I'm sorry, I cannot, for the life in me, take this seriously.

Stephanie Orman

Stephanie Orman, Representative of the Normadic Peoples of Damanucus,
Although you may seem like this is a joke, please realize that some countries have gotten to the point in technology where this has become an issue.

OOC: Also please be aware that some countries claim their technological status to be far beyond this, and not only that but it's on of the issues the game provides, along with thought monitoring.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat May 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
MRWOFFLE wrote:Image

Let's go ahead and nip that in the bud. This is the World Assembly, and we don't really go for image spam here.

You can see where they'd get the idea it's ok, though! :lol:
MRWOFFLE wrote:
Damanucus wrote:[sighs] This seemed like it would be a good proposal, then you added "mind-control device" to the proposal. And I was gone. I'm sorry, I cannot, for the life in me, take this seriously.

Stephanie Orman

Stephanie Orman, Representative of the Normadic Peoples of Damanucus,
Although you may seem like this is a joke, please realize that some countries have gotten to the point in technology where this has become an issue.

"Well, why should that be illegal? The WA doesn't (so far as I can see) ban chemical castration of sex offenders, so why should it ban a non-harmful means of preventing sex offenders from acting on their illegal desires, if that's available to technologically advanced nations?"

~ former Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

MRWOFFLE
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby MRWOFFLE » Sat May 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Perhaps you can put an exemption clause in the proposal that allows mind control mechanisms for medical purposes and for criminals.

Starkmoor
Envoy

Founded: Mar 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Starkmoor » Sat May 17, 2014 10:43 pm

"I'm sorry, but... mind control devices? Opposed."

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"Well, why should that be illegal? The WA doesn't (so far as I can see) ban chemical castration of sex offenders, so why should it ban a non-harmful means of preventing sex offenders from acting on their illegal desires, if that's available to technologically advanced nations?"

I concur with this.
Standing up for Koba and still standing tall!
PRO: Drones, surveillance, basic income, safety net, atheism, separation of church and state, cloudy days, unions, Stalin, concealed carry, 80s & 90s R&B music
ANTI: Organized religion, fundamentalism, Trotsky, college tuition, Juggalos/Juggalettes, gun control, militia types, crime, poverty, selfishness, inequality, rioters/looters, cop-haters.
Political Compass: Left -10.00, Authoritarian 6.21

MRWOFFLE
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby MRWOFFLE » Sun May 18, 2014 5:36 am

Starkmoor wrote:"I'm sorry, but... mind control devices? Opposed."

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"Well, why should that be illegal? The WA doesn't (so far as I can see) ban chemical castration of sex offenders, so why should it ban a non-harmful means of preventing sex offenders from acting on their illegal desires, if that's available to technologically advanced nations?"

I concur with this.

All that is needed to be added to the proposal to allow these criminals to be controlled is

ALLOWS governments to use "Mind-Controlling Devices" on criminals as long as it's used for purposes to prevent them from committing another crime.

And perhaps if technologies have grown in other countries to help fight cancers, brain diseases, autism, or retards, you could add in a Medical Clause...

ALLOWS governments to use "Mind-Controlling Devices" on those whom need it to fight diseases or issues in the brain, as long as permission is given by the person before hand, and if the person is unable to grant permission, leave the decision to either the legal guardians.

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sun May 18, 2014 5:44 am

MRWOFFLE wrote:All that is needed to be added to the proposal to allow these criminals to be controlled is

ALLOWS governments to use "Mind-Controlling Devices" on criminals as long as it's used for purposes to prevent them from committing another crime.

My concern here is the "slippery slope" argument. If we allow this provision, what is to prevent more nefarious governments from classifying minor misdemeanours (i.e. jaywalking) as a crime requiring mind-control to prevent further "crimes" being committed? Further, whilst under the influence of the mind-control device, could governments not also insert various "re-education" thoughts for whatever purposes.

Anyway, I'd like to see an updated draft from the author to reflect the comments thus far and to give a greater steer on the direction the proposal is travelling in. I'll reserve further judgement until that time.
Last edited by Aligned Planets on Sun May 18, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Sun May 18, 2014 5:47 am

Clover grins "So long as hypnosis magic isn't banned, since it's not a device, I can live with it. In all seriousness, I fail to see the issue here. I believe this is all well covered under existing legislation already"
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Aligned Planets
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aligned Planets » Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 am

Normlpeople wrote:I fail to see the issue here. I believe this is all well covered under existing legislation already."

Seconded, as per my initial comments in the discussion. I'm not seeing a separation between freedom of thought and freedom of expression.

Applebania
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sun May 18, 2014 6:39 am

UPDATED: Added an exception clause. Would mentioning the gnomes be legal?
AKA Karlsefni

Normlpeople
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Normlpeople » Sun May 18, 2014 6:42 am

Applebania wrote:UPDATED: Added an exception clause. Would mentioning the gnomes be legal?

OOC: I dont believe so. May have to bring in an oversight committee for that.
Words and Opinion of Clover the Clever
Ambassador to the WA for the Armed Kingdom of Normlpeople

Applebania
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 am

OOC: I'll have to change it then. I'll do it before tomorrow.
AKA Karlsefni

MRWOFFLE
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby MRWOFFLE » Sun May 18, 2014 9:34 am

Aligned Planets wrote:
Normlpeople wrote:I fail to see the issue here. I believe this is all well covered under existing legislation already."

Seconded, as per my initial comments in the discussion. I'm not seeing a separation between freedom of thought and freedom of expression.

Well, it's blocking the loophole. If there is no expressions able to be thought, there are no expressions to be expressed. It's mainly a proposal to stop the loophole. The Republic of MRWOFFLE believes that it's necessary to ensure the freedom of expression applies to all, so everyone can use it and express their own thoughts, not thoughts infused by the governments.

Also I recommend adding another statement that say practices of altering the mind etc etc to avoid other forms of brain control not using certain advanced technologies.

The Leningrad Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Leningrad Union » Sun May 18, 2014 10:18 am

I'm in full support of this. However, I believe it should have added parts about mind-reading devices.
I founded Madrigal and Confederacy of Allied States. However, I have given up my power in both. I reside in Iraq currently. Come join me!

Parody of typical NSG sig:

NSG's resident Liberal Gay Atheist because there's totally no other liberals, gays or atheists here!
Impeach GP, Legalize RP, NSG 2016!
Mallorea and Riva should resign
*Insert some uneducated statement about how I support a stupid ideology that I heard about in my middle school social studies class*
*Insert some typical liberal and/or edgy statement about Gaza and/or Ukraine*

some popular TETer wrote:Leningrad iz kewl

some dude that agreed with me on a debate wrote:Just listen to Leningrad!

MRWOFFLE
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby MRWOFFLE » Sun May 18, 2014 11:37 am

The Leningrad Union wrote:I'm in full support of this. However, I believe it should have added parts about mind-reading devices.

I disagree, and if you believe in this please, I will show you the way to this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=296331

The point of this is to allow people to think, why can't the government read what they're thinking in order for their safety. We can aid them in time of need, help prevent crimes, etc.

The Leningrad Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Leningrad Union » Sun May 18, 2014 11:49 am

MRWOFFLE wrote: why can't the government read what they're thinking in order for their safety

I don't know, maybe because it's a violation of personal privacy?
I founded Madrigal and Confederacy of Allied States. However, I have given up my power in both. I reside in Iraq currently. Come join me!

Parody of typical NSG sig:

NSG's resident Liberal Gay Atheist because there's totally no other liberals, gays or atheists here!
Impeach GP, Legalize RP, NSG 2016!
Mallorea and Riva should resign
*Insert some uneducated statement about how I support a stupid ideology that I heard about in my middle school social studies class*
*Insert some typical liberal and/or edgy statement about Gaza and/or Ukraine*

some popular TETer wrote:Leningrad iz kewl

some dude that agreed with me on a debate wrote:Just listen to Leningrad!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly