NATION

PASSWORD

International Radio Act (PASSED)

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

International Radio Act (PASSED)

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:58 am

(Free Trade; mild)

RECOGNISING that radio signals cannot be made to respect national boundaries,

BELIEVING that international legislation is needed to ensure that radio systems will not cause international interference, and

REALISING that standardisation of radio devices will promote international trade of the same,

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

ALLOWS unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency in the immediate protection of life or property in situations in which normal forms of communication are unavailable or ineffective,

ALLOWS unlicensed use of low-power radio devices, so long as such use does not interfere with other uses, but allows such devices to be subject to inspection at the point of manufacture by the jurisdiction's regulatory agency,

REQUIRES that radio services include amateur, broadcast, experimental, personal communications, business communications, life and safety communications, radiolocation, governmental and military communications, and aerocraft, spacecraft, and watercraft communications.

ESTABLISHES the International Radiocommunications Commission to set more detailed standards, including specific services and frequency allocations (including specific frequencies for emergency calls),

FORBIDS the International Radiocommunications Commission from setting content standards, or station ownership standards beyond those clearly implied by the intended purpose of a service,

CLARIFIES that the standards set by the International Radiocommunications Commission must be followed by all member nations, but

PERMITS nations to create additional radio services in spectrum not used under International Radiocommunications Commission standards.

[Character count: 1685]
Last edited by Linux and the X on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:11 am, edited 12 times in total.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:18 am

We do see merit in this, although we believe that further refinement is neccessary prior to submission. We have no ideas currently as to changes/additions, but we shall put a few staffers to work on this project and come up with ideas for refinements.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:20 am

ALLOWS unlicensed use of low-power radio devices, so long as such use does not interfere with other uses,

I am concerned that this would defeat the purpose of the resolution.

Alcharia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alcharia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:22 am

We agree with the ideas of this matter.
Ifreann wrote:And thence, the poodle, dispelling forever the notion that evolution necessarily leads to superiority.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:29 am

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
ALLOWS unlicensed use of low-power radio devices, so long as such use does not interfere with other uses,

I am concerned that this would defeat the purpose of the resolution.

I don't wish to ban, for example, WiFi. Perhaps standards should be set by the IRC, though.
Last edited by Linux and the X on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Bazalonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Bazalonia » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:05 pm

I really don't think this fits in Free Trade. This proposal does not try to boost Economic Freedom, If anything this is about restricting Trade, commerce and communication.

Though I'm not really sure where else this would fit.

Another question is about unlicenced use. I don't think limiting the power of unlicenced radio use is the only main issue. WiFi and Bluetooth devices, as well as cordless phones and other such uses all use the same frequency spectrum. This should be reflected in your proposal.

A frequency spectrum that is useful at low powers in local areas, one that is unlikely to interfere with more critical licenced spectrums (even though low power) and one that is wide enough to support multiple devices in the same area.
Bazalonia.bz: For all your Bazalonian Government needs
Bazalonia, my characters, my settings - A Blog

* Han has an utter sinking feeling that details of this are going to surreptitiously slip out into someone's siggy...
<Han> so let's hope it's neither precognitive nor self-fulfilling...

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Bazalonia wrote:I really don't think this fits in Free Trade. This proposal does not try to boost Economic Freedom, If anything this is about restricting Trade, commerce and communication.

Though I'm not really sure where else this would fit.

Indeed, Free Trade does seem the best fit, so I'll add some language to better explain the benefit to trade.

Another question is about unlicenced use. I don't think limiting the power of unlicenced radio use is the only main issue. WiFi and Bluetooth devices, as well as cordless phones and other such uses all use the same frequency spectrum. This should be reflected in your proposal.

A frequency spectrum that is useful at low powers in local areas, one that is unlikely to interfere with more critical licenced spectrums (even though low power) and one that is wide enough to support multiple devices in the same area.

WiFi and Bluetooth, for example, take the same part of the spectrum (around 2,4 GHz), but other low-powered devices (such as garage-door openers) do not. There's also the concern of devices which are not intended to radiate energy but do anyway, such as power lines and computers. I'll add a bit saying that such devices are subject to inspection.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Sith Lord Masters
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Lord Masters » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:13 pm

Linux and the X wrote:(Free Trade; mild)

RECOGNISING that radio signals cannot be made to respect national boundaries,

[...]

THE WORLD ASSEMBLY

ALLOWS unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency in a genuine emergency,

This is the epitome of absurdity!

So, this is a World Assembly Resolution that UNASHAMEDLY STATES that it will affect non-WA states??

(charging hands)

AND, "unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency", whatever the "emergency", will seriously allow irreversible damage to our midichlorians, the essence of life itself!

GENOCIDE, I say!!

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Honoured ambassador to the Linux and the X, you are taking the wrong direction: you don't need to mandate the standardisation of radio devices themselves.

Shanti Nilaya
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanti Nilaya » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:29 am

Linux and the X wrote:ALLOWS unlicensed use of low-power radio devices, so long as such use does not interfere with other uses, but makes such devices subject to inspection at the point of manufacture by the jurisdiction's regulatory agency,

The Council of the Learned Boddhisattvas is gravely concerned this represents a serious threat to the common-sense and codified Freedom of Expression. Those regulatory agencies could be used to impose insanely stringent regulations, to the point of impossibility, negating persons the possibility of broadcasting important political, philosofical, spiritual messages.

The spirit cannot truly be free if the soul cannot proclaim its anguish in the universal search for the Pure Land, where the mind is set free from its earthly desires, and free from all fear and pain.

नमस्ते

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:45 am

My government feels that any legislation on radio communications should make provisions for a standard emergency frequency, to be used in times of disaster and emergency.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Sith Lord Masters wrote:So, this is a World Assembly Resolution that UNASHAMEDLY STATES that it will affect non-WA states??

No more so than several past resolutions. I see no reason to specify that the resolution applies only in member states, as member states are as forcibly bound by resolution as an egg falls upwards.

AND, "unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency", whatever the "emergency", will seriously allow irreversible damage to our midichlorians, the essence of life itself!

Given that these midichlorians are, as you put "the essence of life itself", I'm sure any person would need an extremely significant emergency to risk it.

Shanti Nilaya wrote:
Linux and the X wrote:ALLOWS unlicensed use of low-power radio devices, so long as such use does not interfere with other uses, but makes such devices subject to inspection at the point of manufacture by the jurisdiction's regulatory agency,

The Council of the Learned Boddhisattvas is gravely concerned this represents a serious threat to the common-sense and codified Freedom of Expression. Those regulatory agencies could be used to impose insanely stringent regulations.

Low-powered radio devices would not be intended for broadcast anyway. Field strength for such devices would be measured in microvolts, which generally won't communicate even across the neighbourhood.

Hirota wrote:My government feels that any legislation on radio communications should make provisions for a standard emergency frequency, to be used in times of disaster and emergency.

Given the wide range of services that would be available, and the different parts of the spectrum they would occupy, it would be ridiculously cluttering to include them in the resolution. However, the IRC would likely create a standard.
Last edited by Linux and the X on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:33 am

On the basis this proposal creates "yet another committee" my government will oppose. Which is a shame, since a well written resolution would not need a committee.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:38 am

Hirota wrote:On the basis this proposal creates "yet another committee" my government will oppose. Which is a shame, since a well written resolution would not need a committee.

I would greatly appreciate help in creating a full set of regulations within resolution itself, but I suspect the gnomes wouldn't like the result.

OOC: The RL ITU Radio Regulations are one hundred and thirty-six pages long. This clearly exceeds the 3500 character limit.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:02 pm

OOC note: I'll be out of town from sometime tomorrow to sometime Sunday. I'll probably not have internet access at all while away.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:43 pm

ALLOWS unrestricted use of any radio power and frequency in a genuine emergency,

What defines a "genuine emergency?" An earthquake certainly is, but is an outbreak of a plague? If so, that could last for weeks, if not months. Serrland would really like to see a definition of a "genuine emergency" within the text, because it stands now it seems the difference between "genuine" and "in-genuine" comes across as entirely arbitrary.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Serrland wrote:

What defines a "genuine emergency?" An earthquake certainly is, but is an outbreak of a plague? If so, that could last for weeks, if not months. Serrland would really like to see a definition of a "genuine emergency" within the text, because it stands now it seems the difference between "genuine" and "in-genuine" comes across as entirely arbitrary.

How about "the immediate protection of life or property in situations in which normal forms of communication are unavailable or ineffective"?
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Bleeopolis
Attaché

Founded: Nov 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bleeopolis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:20 pm

Bleeopolis strongly rejects this, as it would prevent its citizens from using the nation's radio stations as freely as they currently can. This would get rid of a very important right to Bleeopolis' citizens.
Additionally, it would allow very tight regulations on radio stations and the manufacture of radio devices.
"Fortify yourself in contentment, for this is an impregnable fortress."
-Epictetus
MAKE LOVE NOT WAR - Put this in your signature if you agree.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18
"Have a happy!"

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Bleeopolis wrote:Bleeopolis strongly rejects this, as it would prevent its citizens from using the nation's radio stations as freely as they currently can. This would get rid of a very important right to Bleeopolis' citizens.
Additionally, it would allow very tight regulations on radio stations and the manufacture of radio devices.

This would not prevent citizens from using radio stations (whether nationalised or privately owned), it would merely require those stations to meet certain standards (in terms of signal quality, not content) to ensure that the signal would not interfere with other stations, such as medical dispatch.

This would not allow the restrictions you fear. As there is currently no international legislation on the subject, nations are free to set any restrictions they choose. With this legislation, the IRC would set standards for the services mentioned within the resolution, therefore preventing such issues (though, of course, it is likely that the IRC would give some amount of leeway). If such standards were too restrictive for a nation, they would be free to create their own radio service.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm

Since there seems not to be many suggestions left, I'll be submitting on the eleventh unless this suddenly gets and sustains activity.
Last edited by Linux and the X on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Cerantia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerantia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Cerce Tentones, in the World Assembly meating:

(OOC NOTE: Cerantia is about 20-30 years behind on today's technology, and most "up-to-date" things by Cerantia's standard are reserved for the upper class - this is how it is, and always has been - radio's and walke-talkeys are the most common form of communication outside of speaking directly and writeing letters)

Am I to understand this correctly in assuming that I cannot radio my cousin in Atlamar unless he is in a dire situation if Atlamar does not permit it? Also assuming that I have paid for this radio? And would it be against this proposal if I somehow intercepted an Atlamic broadcast, or vice versa? Am I to interperate this correctly in understanding that the WA will send an investigative delegate to inspect at the point of manufacture?

Now, this is my first actual assembly as WA member from Sarkom, and you should recognize that I know of no standards and would highly appreciate it if I could find such things out (OOC: Withought having to devote more than an hour to an internet browser game - I mean, come on, I have a life!), but if the WA is going to investigate every move I make as a leader and a country, I must withdraw - there is no Cerantian glory to be found in such things.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:06 pm

Cerantia wrote:Am I to understand this correctly in assuming that I cannot radio my cousin in Atlamar unless he is in a dire situation if Atlamar does not permit it? Also assuming that I have paid for this radio?

You would, of course, be free to use your radio in accordance with your own national laws. Your brother would, of course, have to be licensed in Atlamar's personal communication service. As this is an international service, it would be under IRC licensure standards.

And would it be against this proposal if I somehow intercepted an Atlamic broadcast, or vice versa?

The international services would likely be free to intercept under international law (individual countries would probably remain free to forbid such practices), though additional services created intranationally would be subject to that nation's regulations.

Am I to interperate this correctly in understanding that the WA will send an investigative delegate to inspect at the point of manufacture?

The relevant jurisdiction would be responsible for inspections. If a nation1 has a regulatory department (which is most likely), then that department would inspect manufacturers. If there is no regulatory department, then the WA would be the narrowest jurisdiction and would therefore have the option to make inspections. This would, of course, be unlikely unless there were international complaints, as the WA would not want to spend money on such things.

1 Yes, I recognise that the Ursine ambassador wishes to remind us that Bears Armed is divided into clans which have most jurisdictional capacity, and that nationwide legislation is therefore often not possible to comply with. That's why the regulatory department belongs to a jurisdiction.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Cerantia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerantia » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Thank you for clearing this issue up. I have found no other possible faults in this proposal, and you have my backing in this.

At2
Civil Servant

Founded: May 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby At2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Looks promising, what about the radio services though, are they required, expected, provided by this document etc.?

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:36 pm

At2 wrote:Looks promising, what about the radio services though, are they required, expected, provided by this document etc.?

The radio services are required.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

they/them pronouns

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives